Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
I was just at Spirit Of Halloween and I checked out the Ghostbusters paraphernalia that I knew they would have this year. I saw the PKE meter on the shelf that you could try out and there was also proton packs and ghost traps and a Slimer doll as well as a Stay Puff Marshmallow Man doll. I decided not to buy any stuff just yet, the proton pack is tempting but I really want to build my own. I've seen the Spirit Of Halloween proton pack reviews on youtube and it is nowhere in the league of some of the homemade proton packs I've seen Ghostbusters fans bring to conventions. So I really want to build my own proton pack, ghost trap, and PKE meter as they would probably come out much better than the props at Spirit. The proton pack they had reminded me a bit of this toy I had as a kid, the "ghost zapper" which was based on the neutrino wand and which you used to project ghosts on the wall. The Slimer doll looks good though and I might get that.
roofgoof wrote: October 7th, 2018, 4:26 pm Many people, myself included have found that the Spirit equipment can be modded into some very accurate screen props with minimal work. Theyre a great placeholder until some of us can manage the costs of full size props. Give it a try...
You might be right, I am thinking more and more of burning an extra $70 and getting the proton pack from Spirit. As for eventually getting a full size prop, I plan to build my own and buying the kit and parts will be far less expensive than buying an already build pack. As for the proton pack from Spirit, aside from being a placeholder or a starter pack, provided I keep it in good condition it might be a good investment as it might sell for much more in the future. The Neutrino Wand by Mattel which came out some years ago, they're now selling for much more than they did back then.
It's great you're planning to do a full-build eventually. :) What you could do is view buying one of the Spirit Packs as being an option you can wear to parties: something that gets the message across, but you won't get as worried about damaging at a party as you would over your full build. :)
RodrigoLey wrote: October 9th, 2018, 6:41 am That's a great point, Kingpin. I haven't even thought of possibly damaging the whole things at parties. And let's face it, the possibility of that happening is real after a few drinks. lol
The same is true for cons. The crowds get pretty dense and I have had my 3d printed trap get bumped/ripped off multiple times.
Kingpin wrote: October 7th, 2018, 5:50 pm It's great you're planning to do a full-build eventually. :) What you could do is view buying one of the Spirit Packs as being an option you can wear to parties: something that gets the message across, but you won't get as worried about damaging at a party as you would over your full build. :)
Eventually yes I do want to do a full build. As it is Im studying electronics and welding and I have to get a proton pack kit but the spirit pack, as others have pointed out, is a good starter pack.
NotSabbat wrote: October 9th, 2018, 11:00 am
RodrigoLey wrote: October 9th, 2018, 6:41 am That's a great point, Kingpin. I haven't even thought of possibly damaging the whole things at parties. And let's face it, the possibility of that happening is real after a few drinks. lol
The same is true for cons. The crowds get pretty dense and I have had my 3d printed trap get bumped/ripped off multiple times.
I see people coming to conventions dressed up with ghostbusters with their full proton packs and all, they don't have any problem with them getting damaged or anything.
Just a friendly word of advice. The Spirit stuff is not prop grade quality. They're meant to look decent and last through a few halloween parties. Case in point. I did a complete tear down and mod of the pack and the stock electronics basically disintegrated upon removal. Next up my wife got me the goggles, PKE and trap and after a week, 1 week, the PKE stopped working entirely. I took it back to Spirit and they had 2 on the shelf in stock. I took one up to the counter and noticed that it looked like i had been opened so I told my son to grab the other on and it too looked like it had been opened. The manger had the clerk open the other 2 to make sure they worked. 1 had a defective wing light and the other had a button that you almost had to break to get it to push in. That coupled with the fact that they were both discolored with a white residue. Clearly both where returns. The residue turned out being from the cheap super glue that the manager used to glue the 2 returns packages back together that she then put back on the shelf to sell at full price. The manager did say that the PKE problems are well know to the store personnel and Spirit.
I’ll second what a few people have posted above, these packs can really shine with some modification and are fairly simple to work on. I want to build a full size pack at some point too but the funds and the time aren’t aligning at this moment and that’s what makes the spirit pack great. Also, a lot of what you learn modding and building a spirit pack can be applied to building the full size one. This was my first exposure to building something like this and it’s been an awesome learning experience, but that being said I’d rather make a mistake on a $70 pack than a shell that cost me hundreds of dollars!
NickFame13 liked this
DarkSpectre wrote: October 9th, 2018, 1:46 pm Just a friendly word of advice. The Spirit stuff is not prop grade quality. They're meant to look decent and last through a few halloween parties. Case in point. I did a complete tear down and mod of the pack and the stock electronics basically disintegrated upon removal. Next up my wife got me the goggles, PKE and trap and after a week, 1 week, the PKE stopped working entirely. I took it back to Spirit and they had 2 on the shelf in stock. I took one up to the counter and noticed that it looked like i had been opened so I told my son to grab the other on and it too looked like it had been opened. The manger had the clerk open the other 2 to make sure they worked. 1 had a defective wing light and the other had a button that you almost had to break to get it to push in. That coupled with the fact that they were both discolored with a white residue. Clearly both where returns. The residue turned out being from the cheap super glue that the manager used to glue the 2 returns packages back together that she then put back on the shelf to sell at full price. The manager did say that the PKE problems are well know to the store personnel and Spirit.
I don't plan on getting the PKE meter. I saw it at Spirit and I wasn't too impressed. Im not all that impressed by the trap either from reviews I saw on youtube. As for the pack, it might not be prop grade quality but I don't plan to use it in that many parties or conventions. I might take it to Chiller this year but I doubt I'll be using it there much. Its just an awesome Ghostbusters collectable for GB fans and it would look great on my wall.
So anyway I did end up getting the Spirit proton pack. I sent away for it and it arrived just today. I must say its quite a decent pack and I would be totally ecstatic if I was 11 years old. It seems to be sized for a child, the grips on the neutrino wand are a bit small for my hands, but it works for me and I think its a good starter pack. I might or might not bring it to parties and conventions but at the very least it will look good on my wall.

Anyway although the proton packs were being sold at local Spirit stores I sent away for mine instead because by doing so I could take advantage of getting fifty dollars off my order price if I made an order of over two hundred. No the pack did not cost two hundred but I also had to get this animatronic which hasn't arrived yet but hopefully should soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhds2PwbrC4
Photon Guy wrote: October 12th, 2018, 5:26 pm So anyway I did end up getting the Spirit proton pack. I sent away for it and it arrived just today. I must say its quite a decent pack and I would be totally ecstatic if I was 11 years old. It seems to be sized for a child, the grips on the neutrino wand are a bit small for my hands, but it works for me and I think its a good starter pack. I might or might not bring it to parties and conventions but at the very least it will look good on my wall.

Anyway although the proton packs were being sold at local Spirit stores I sent away for mine instead because by doing so I could take advantage of getting fifty dollars off my order price if I made an order of over two hundred. No the pack did not cost two hundred but I also had to get this animatronic which hasn't arrived yet but hopefully should soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhds2PwbrC4
I think the spirit packs are a great boost for people like me that have been wanting to get into the props but aren't savvy with building and can't afford to buy pre-built. I can add on greeblies though. As far as the size goes, it worked out in my favor. I'm only 5'4" so proportionally the pack should be about perfect size for me. Painted up and with an alice frame it's very convincing.
DarkSpectre wrote:Just a friendly word of advice. The Spirit stuff is not prop grade quality. They're meant to look decent and last through a few halloween parties. Case in point. I did a complete tear down and mod of the pack and the stock electronics basically disintegrated upon removal. Next up my wife got me the goggles, PKE and trap and after a week, 1 week, the PKE stopped working entirely. I took it back to Spirit and they had 2 on the shelf in stock. I took one up to the counter and noticed that it looked like i had been opened so I told my son to grab the other on and it too looked like it had been opened. The manger had the clerk open the other 2 to make sure they worked. 1 had a defective wing light and the other had a button that you almost had to break to get it to push in. That coupled with the fact that they were both discolored with a white residue. Clearly both where returns. The residue turned out being from the cheap super glue that the manager used to glue the 2 returns packages back together that she then put back on the shelf to sell at full price. The manager did say that the PKE problems are well know to the store personnel and Spirit.
The PKE is like $35 dude. And the pack is $65. A build your own could easily cost $1000.

It’s all relative.

Heck, I’m sitting here with one right now about to remove the clip and am still impressed as hell at what it is for the $$$Image
jreverhart liked this
I'd pay $150 for a Spirit pack that was full sized.

As far as the PKE goes, mine should be delivering Monday. I hope I don't have the problems listed above!

I'm 3D printing my gear, but I'm much further away from being able to program and wire up my own electronics, so this will have to work in the meantime.
aceblackbelt wrote: November 5th, 2018, 10:34 pm Anybody hear of viggoshop.com before? Site looks like a copy of Spirit Halloween but has GB stuff on sale for almost 50% off
Personally, I'd avoid it. Appearing to be a near carbon-copy of the Spirit Halloween website, but not actually called that? Smells like a scam.
I got all the spirit gear and modded/painted and it looks decent for a budget build. I got postitive reactions at MCM London Comic Con last year. I enjoyed installing the lighting upgrate on my pack and will build a 1-1 scale pack when I have money.
Kingpin liked this

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]