Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By '80s_horror
I'm going to be attending NYCC with my wife, and am concerned about logistics with my proton pack. We're going to be taking Amtrak from Syracuse, and staying for one night in the city. Potential issues arise with the train's carry-on luggage: It's going to be in a large wheeled tote, as many of you guys use. I'd also have to lug it around the city the next day, with my expensive pack in it the whole time.

I'm thinking I'll just order the new proton pack backpack from Spencer's, but I'm concerned it might look lame. I don't want to look like a "budget model" Ghostbuster if I don't have to, especially since I'm sure other GB will be there with nice packs.

What would you guys recommend? Thanks.
Sav C liked this
By ccv66
#1. Scratches and dings will add character and there's nothing that can't be fixed. Desire to show off something you've worked hard for and have pride in.

#2. High risk off damaging your pack and will spend more time stressing out, then enjoying yourself and have to lug around a heavy pack.

Are you a #1 or #2? Wouldn't worry about what other people think, most fans are happy to see other fans.

Not a huge fan of the spencer backpack, however I'm sure it would be nice to store stuff while at a con
By Sav C
'80s_horror wrote: August 13th, 2018, 4:49 pm I'm going to be attending NYCC with my wife, and am concerned about logistics with my proton pack. We're going to be taking Amtrak from Syracuse, and staying for one night in the city. Potential issues arise with the train's carry-on luggage: It's going to be in a large wheeled tote, as many of you guys use. I'd also have to lug it around the city the next day, with my expensive pack in it the whole time.

I'm thinking I'll just order the new proton pack backpack from Spencer's, but I'm concerned it might look lame. I don't want to look like a "budget model" Ghostbuster if I don't have to, especially since I'm sure other GB will be there with nice packs.

What would you guys recommend? Thanks.
I have family who lived in Syracuse and upstate NY (we're up north now, though). Go Orange! :)

(Apologies for the not overly productive comment).
By Kingpin
It's worth checking up on the convention's prop policies, as a number have been taking stricter approaches with regards to gun-looking items. If the rules don't seem clear enough about things like a Proton Pack, or if you're not too sure where your prop may fall, it's worth emailing them and including a photo. I don't see there being a problem... But some convention staff may be stricter... Or more relaxed than others.
I've brought my pack for the past 6 years with no issues. They'll take a hard look at it, but you'll be fine. THAT BEING SAID! Remember you'll be taking up a LOT of room. Friday and Sunday are the better days to wear full gear... Saturday there is NUTS. Huge crowds, not a whole lotta room to maneuver. My recommendation would be to plan your day and when wading through a crowd, hold your thrower! Turn slow in crowds so you down snag your ion arm on something/someone. Go in KNOWING something is gonna get scratched/dented.
zeta otaku wrote: August 15th, 2018, 12:19 am I've brought my pack for the past 6 years with no issues. They'll take a hard look at it, but you'll be fine. THAT BEING SAID! Remember you'll be taking up a LOT of room. Friday and Sunday are the better days to wear full gear... Saturday there is NUTS. Huge crowds, not a whole lotta room to maneuver. My recommendation would be to plan your day and when wading through a crowd, hold your thrower! Turn slow in crowds so you down snag your ion arm on something/someone. Go in KNOWING something is gonna get scratched/dented.
We're going to be going on Thursday only. I'm hoping it'll be a bit easier to navigate.
By timeware
Kingpin wrote: August 14th, 2018, 1:34 am It's worth checking up on the convention's prop policies, as a number have been taking stricter approaches with regards to gun-looking items. If the rules don't seem clear enough about things like a Proton Pack, or if you're not too sure where your prop may fall, it's worth emailing them and including a photo. I don't see there being a problem... But some convention staff may be stricter... Or more relaxed than others.
Should have done that before heading to wizard world myself. My legacy morpher nearly didn't make it through the metal detector because the guard didn't know what it was. Lucky for me he was just changing shifts with someone who had.
Just to throw another concern your way...

A friend of mine used to live in NY.

One time he took a proton pack he'd built to the Firehouse so a guy he knew could use it for a photo.

Photo done, they parted ways. He gets back onto the subway with the pack.

Train doesn't move.

Police begin boarding the cars looking for something.

They get to his car, crook a finger at him, tell him to come with them.

Someone had called the cops because of the guy with the 'bomb-like' object on the train.

It happens.

Like he said when he told me the tale, you'd think that, of all places, the cops closest to the Firehouse would know about the movie, where it was filmed, what the prop was.

But no.

The reality is, that city is still going to play it safe instead of sorry. And who can blame them?

Alex
'80s_horror wrote: August 18th, 2018, 10:57 pm
zeta otaku wrote: August 15th, 2018, 12:19 am I've brought my pack for the past 6 years with no issues. They'll take a hard look at it, but you'll be fine. THAT BEING SAID! Remember you'll be taking up a LOT of room. Friday and Sunday are the better days to wear full gear... Saturday there is NUTS. Huge crowds, not a whole lotta room to maneuver. My recommendation would be to plan your day and when wading through a crowd, hold your thrower! Turn slow in crowds so you down snag your ion arm on something/someone. Go in KNOWING something is gonna get scratched/dented.
We're going to be going on Thursday only. I'm hoping it'll be a bit easier to navigate.
Oh, yeah, you should have an okay time navigating on Thursday. Have fun!
Alex Newborn wrote: August 19th, 2018, 10:58 pm Just to throw another concern your way...

One time he took a proton pack he'd built to the Firehouse so a guy he knew could use it for a photo.

Train doesn't move.

Someone had called the cops because of the guy with the 'bomb-like' object on the train.

It happens.

Like he said when he told me the tale, you'd think that, of all places, the cops closest to the Firehouse would know about the movie, where it was filmed, what the prop was.

But no.

The reality is, that city is still going to play it safe instead of sorry. And who can blame them?

Alex
If it was an off-day with no events going on where a costume would be expected, it's understandable AND you can't expect some random person on a train in New York to know what a proton pack is. I got thrown out of a mall on Halloween when I wore my full gear a few years ago (I just wanted free appetizers from TGIFridays!!!). From what I've discovered in my years of cosplay in New York, being in a group makes you far less likely to run into this kind of trouble.
By timeware
Alex Newborn wrote: August 19th, 2018, 10:58 pm Just to throw another concern your way...

Train doesn't move.

It happens.

But no.

Alex
That reminds of the mooninite scare. I was living in Atlanta during the time they did the promotion. These light bright things were causing people to panic on Williams St, where Aquateen was made. Wish I could have grabbed one they hung up.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]