By Kingpin
GB Wolf wrote:So what ever happened with this after all the signatures were gathered? I'm assuming someone did get in contact with Sony, finding out that the car was moved, but did anyone find out where? Or was the car scrapped? :(
The fate and location of the Ecto-1A are currently unknown it seems. If memory serves the petition ruffled a few feathers at Sony, which is why it hasn't been followed up.
If Disney buys Sony's entertainment division does that mean they get the props and set's that can go with them? I believe Ghostbusters is under that ownership. I would love to see Ecto displayed on their back lot tour but the way they let the UFO from flight of the navigator bake under the hot Florida sun I'm kind of iffy about that.
Kingpin wrote:The fate and location of the Ecto-1A are currently unknown it seems. If memory serves the petition ruffled a few feathers at Sony, which is why it hasn't been followed up.
At least 2 people know of one's location. Troy Benjamin and Eric Reich went to where a Ecto-1a production car was stored and took archival photos and measurements then sent the information to Ian Moores for illustration when they worked on the Ectomobile book.

Between the 40 and hour mark on Cross Rip ep. 340 last October.
http://www.ghostbustershq.net/the-ghost ... er-16-2017
Unfortunately I doubt there will be a restoration of Ecto-1A any time soon, if ever.

The original plan might've been to get both cars fixed up, but if memory serves the restoration of Ecto-1 went over budget, which was what torpedoed the restoration of the 1A. And given that the 1A isn't the original car... And sadly, not as iconic (the 1A's not what people think of when they think of 'the Ghostbusters car'), and Sony currently has a car in touring condition, they probably aren't interested in paying the cash needed to repair the other car. :(
Well Iif they went over budget restoring Ecto 1 it's because they didn't take care of it. They built 1A because E1 needed so much work. The intro of the sequel THAT'S Ecto 1 backfiring naturally, so they made 1A rather then restore the original. I really hope this gets restored. Both cars need to be on the lot or auction the thing and enough of us fans will buy it and restore it I'm sure. IF Disney purchases it I really hope they follow the suit that LFL did and keep things stored and archived for fans and cinema refrence books.
Call me fatalist, but why bother? They spent more than they wanted restoring the neglected Ecto-1 and glorified it for a while but didn't they just store it outside again, undoing the effort? Why let that happen to the 1A as well? They should have sealed the car in a display case like Universal did for the DeLorean time machine. Maybe the 1A will get sold to a private owner one day for a fortune but for now, the joyfulness is over.
JA Slow wrote: June 14th, 2018, 3:45 amMaybe the 1A will get sold to a private owner one day for a fortune but for now, the joyfulness is over.
Doubtful. Dan Aykroyd tried to buy the Ecto-1 from them when it was sitting in the backlot rotting away, but they refused. For whatever reason, they seem to like having old prop cars rot away in the backlot. I can understand if they were keeping them in better shape, but what's the point in keeping them if you're just gonna let it rot?
Sav C, deadderek liked this
By Sav C
I don't understand it at all. Wouldn't having it fully restored and on display make for a great attraction? Maybe we should petition again--show them that we were serious the first time around.
By auldeffects
I thought they used parts from the 1a to restore the original? On the bluray special features you can the the outline of where the gb2 logo was peeled off the rear door. They used it to save money. So who knows what other parts were used as well. So there may not be a complete 1a TO restore.

Sure they could rebuild it again but the cost of tracking down parts I'm sure is not Sony's first priority
Anyone else hoping we might see a restoration this year to build hype for the new film? Maybe a reveal at the summer anniversary event? That would be SO epic to see all the Ectos together, with the car for the new film!
There's a handful of people whom have seen it. It's in storage container at Sony, it's currently in pieces, most of the pieces are there, and from what I understand, they're trying to figure out what to do/when/how.

Make no mistake, Eric Reich is the silent champion of the fandom who tries to make all of this happen. Guy's got a big job at a big studio at which nothing happens quick.

Hopefully our collective patience as fans will be rewarded.

-V71
deadderek, Kingpin, back liked this
venkman71 wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 8:26 am There's a handful of people whom have seen it. It's in storage container at Sony, it's currently in pieces, most of the pieces are there, and from what I understand, they're trying to figure out what to do/when/how.

Make no mistake, Eric Reich is the silent champion of the fandom who tries to make all of this happen. Guy's got a big job at a big studio at which nothing happens quick.

Hopefully our collective patience as fans will be rewarded.

-V71
Having had the pleasure to meet Eric, I completely agree. We're lucky to have him.
By back
Sad seeing the old girl like that... From a price point, its a Rare & relatively complete 59 M&M... Not a common sight, even when its in a sad dark steel container. I want to see it fired back into its past glory, but whats worth more to Sony...
A 60+ year old restore-able ambulance Or spending the same value of the car for a 30 year old movie prop that wont be used again??
Petition was signed long ago, and if I could (in good moral stance) sign it a million more times I would.
Seems like the best option to get Sony in gear with this would be crowd fund the money to do a restoration on the 1a at the shop that did the Etco1. It stays Sony's property, but they don't have to foot the bill to restore it.

If it was going to get done. Now is the time to do it for promotional stuff for the release of the 3rd movie... unless they plan to use the 1a in the 3rd movie.
Hoagie27 wrote: March 9th, 2019, 5:37 pm Seems like the best option to get Sony in gear with this would be crowd fund the money to do a restoration on the 1a at the shop that did the Etco1. It stays Sony's property, but they don't have to foot the bill to restore it.
Problem being we don't know just how much cash was needed to get Ecto-1A fixed up, and if the non-binding petition ruffled feathers at Sony, raising funds on a crowdfunding site might serve to ruffle feathers further.
deadderek liked this
LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A POSSIBLE CURRENT PHOTO!!!!
Im not saying this is 100% current but looks to be.

This photo was posted on a Cadillac Hearse Fans Facebook group.
The owner of the photo mentioned he sold his 59 to Sony to be used as a stunt car and the original 1a will be used for close ups.

deadderek liked this
Ernie Hudson will appear with Mayor Walsh on the front steps of Syracuse City Hall on Friday, July 5, at noon, with Ecto-1a to announce something. It will serve to a kickoff for the 2019 Salt City Comic Con, July 6 to 7, at the new Exposition Center at the New York State Fairgrounds. Hudson will also be at the con for photo ops with 1a.
https://www.syracuse.com/celebrity-news ... ement.html
Sav C liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 7:03 pm Ernie Hudson will appear with Mayor Walsh on the front steps of Syracuse City Hall on Friday, July 5, at noon, with Ecto-1a to announce something. It will serve to a kickoff for the 2019 Salt City Comic Con, July 6 to 7, at the new Exposition Center at the New York State Fairgrounds. Hudson will also be at the con for photo ops with 1a.
Now that's very interesting but I'm leaning towards it being a typo than a fully refurbished Ecto1A showing up but we'll see. :)
Sav C liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 7:03 pm Ernie Hudson will appear with Mayor Walsh on the front steps of Syracuse City Hall on Friday, July 5, at noon, with Ecto-1a to announce something. It will serve to a kickoff for the 2019 Salt City Comic Con, July 6 to 7, at the new Exposition Center at the New York State Fairgrounds. Hudson will also be at the con for photo ops with 1a.
It's a clever way of writing things. They don't say the screen used Ecto-1A. The Buffalo Ghostbusters were there with the CNY Ghostbusters. It's a reproduction car (not a 1959), but it never claimed to be the screen used Ecto-1A.

It's like how some people got kinda hyped up thinking he was announcing something about GB20 because it said "an announcement." He announced, with the mayor, that they caught Slimer and declared it Salt City Con weekend.
Sav C liked this
By dyfea
heres what i believe to be the final page in the book for this story, please correct me if the information or I are wrong.
it appears that the ecto 1 a was repurposed as one of the few cars in AFTERLIFE, and theres good information to back it up. heres a hemmings article stating such, and there are also pictures jason reitman was posting as teasers for the car that shows the ecto1A bumper on a shelf, implying that it is the ecto1A being used and turned into a version of ecto1.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/12/1 ... d-ecto-1a/

here is the link to reitmans instagram, where if you scroll down, you see a black and white picture of an ecto grille, notice the bottom driver side light that isnt on the car in the afterlife trailer, but appears only on ecto1A.

https://www.instagram.com/jasonreitman/?hl=en

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]