Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Alphagaia
EJLambert wrote:Yet when an original, beautiful shot movie such as Kubo comes out, no one sees it. It seems that people want original movies, but when one comes out they stay home and elect to rent later. The same thing happened the weekend that Pacific Rim came out and it lost out to Grown Ups 2. It's beyond baffling. You could chalk it up to expensive movie tickets, or people having bad theater experiences.
Kubo was very nice to look at, though it suffers from a plot twist everyone sees coming besides the 3 main characters. Apart from that, great acting, visuals and dares to pack a punch instead of going soft. I gave it an 7,5.
By JurorNo.2
deadderek wrote:I'm referring to people outside of the fandom.

We'll see if the Reboot withstands the test of time but I strongly feel that it fade from the publics minds for the most part. It will sit with Robocop
GB16 is ten times better than the Robocop remake. Period. Robocop was a bland Sci Fi channel level remake. GB16's characters are far more memorable. Plus they weren't at all carbon copies of the original Ghostbusters, and neither was the plot or style of the story. Audiences claim to want originality. I will never believe them again after this year, heh.

First, detractors hoped this movie would be a disaster of epic proportions. Since that didn't happen, they are now switching to, "Well at least it was only OK and will soon be forgotten." Guys, it's not that big a deal if people enjoyed this movie, lol. And I was talking about outside the fandom too.
Lucifan, Sav C, Alphagaia and 1 others liked this
By JurorNo.2
EJLambert wrote:It seems that people want original movies, but when one comes out they stay home and elect to rent later.
"Our customers are content with the contrived and mediocre."--Spongebob Squarepants
By HunterCC
EJLambert wrote:Yet when an original, beautiful shot movie such as Kubo comes out, no one sees it. It seems that people want original movies, but when one comes out they stay home and elect to rent later. The same thing happened the weekend that Pacific Rim came out and it lost out to Grown Ups 2. It's beyond baffling. You could chalk it up to expensive movie tickets, or people having bad theater experiences.
Well, in the words of Honest Trailers, Pacific Rim is either the most awesome dumb movie ever, or the dumbest awesome movie ever. And appeared to have had its marketing lowballed by Warner Bros.

I think for studios and audiences, sequels and reboots are much safer bets than originals. Unless the new film catches fire and sells big, it's tough to break into public recognition the way a sequel/reboot inherits it from a good film before it.

Zootopia, Secret Life of Pets, and Deadpool knocked it out of park, in the theaters. Hollywood produces a lot of sequels and reboots, but being that type of movie didn't save Star Trek Beyond, Ghostbusters 16, lots of movies on this list.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/cha ... 016&p=.htm

The bottom is dominated by what looks like original films, but they look like low-budget films that couldn't compete with the major studio releases anyways.
By Zharthaddeus
Okay, here's my 2 cents.
Plain and simple . . .
GB2016 was enjoyed by different generations.
Again, I had taken my godson of 11 years to GB2016.
He loved it; laughed; thought it was pretty good. That's why I had taken him.
On the other hand, I had taken my two sons to see the original GB1. They
loved that one too. But we are talking about two completely different generations
of audiences here, 30 years apart. An all woman cast would've never made it out
the gate in the eighties. Today, my sons had no interest in viewing it.
Good or bad, whether you loved it or hated it, everyone has their own opinion.
But all of us also have the right to accept or reject what we read on the board.
Alphagaia, Sav C, 80sguy liked this
By HunterCC
Zharthaddeus wrote:An all woman cast would've never made it out the gate in the eighties.
Assuming you mean main cast, because GB16 wasn't all female with Chris Hemsworth, Steel Magnolias in 1989.

There definitely was an untapped market for female led movies and shows in the 80's. After the success of Aliens, and horror films where the girl kills the killer in the end, it's surprising to me it took till the 90s-00s for more female leads, like Buffy and Xena.
By Zharthaddeus
HunterCC. Yes, I fully agree. I'm referring to the main characters. I did not feel Chris Hemsworth was a main character, sorry. My focus was on the GB's.
When Ripley dropped the "F' bomb in "Alien", many movie goer's went to see the film just to hear her say it.
That was not common during the 80's in terms of "colorful" language.
The movie, "Descent", had a an entire female cast except for one male character in the very beginning.
Critics felt lukewarm about the film. What really ticked me off were naysayers saying that the movie would've
made more money if more males had attended. Well, I'm a male and loved the film because it is scary.

My point was to simply say that the restraints used in movie making decades ago have loosen up
considerably sense the 80's. My opinion of the characters had less to do with them being female but more to
do with the content of the franchise, that's all.
Sav C, deadderek liked this
By HunterCC
Zharthaddeus wrote:HunterCC. Yes, I fully agree. I'm referring to the main characters. I did not feel Chris Hemsworth was a main character, sorry. My focus was on the GB's.
When Ripley dropped the "F' bomb in "Alien", many movie goer's went to see the film just to hear her say it.
I thought it was the "B" word. This was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSrcMaid0mg
By Zharthaddeus
HunterCC wrote:
Zharthaddeus wrote:HunterCC. Yes, I fully agree. I'm referring to the main characters. I did not feel Chris Hemsworth was a main character, sorry. My focus was on the GB's.

Ahhhhhhhh! I so remember that scene so well. That was, "Aliens".
Go back to "Alien" 1979. She actually said, "F*** that!"
By HunterCC
Zharthaddeus wrote:
HunterCC wrote:

Cool. I think my crowd had seen plenty of f-bombs dropped in movies already by the time of Alien. Let alone Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor comedy bits. But I get what you're saying now.
By Zharthaddeus
HunterCC wrote:
Zharthaddeus wrote:
Cool. I think my crowd had seen plenty of f-bombs dropped in movies already by the time of Alien. Let alone Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor comedy bits. But I get what you're saying now.
Thank you so much. I was a bit muddled at one point so I'm glad to clarify things.
By deadderek
To be a bit more on topic I'm also glad the film flopped. Hopefully Sony learns their lesson and goes forward in vastly different directions.
By JurorNo.2
deadderek wrote:To be a bit more on topic I'm also glad the film flopped. Hopefully Sony learns their lesson and goes forward in vastly different directions.
More likely they will say, "Eh, why bother?" The reaction to GB16 was not normal reboot hate. No one could have predicted the criticism would be so ridiculously toxic. What studio wants to take a chance on that again? And suppose they get yet another new director in, then we're going even further away from the original source material. Next time Reitman could be even less involved. And frankly, they could be wondering just what types of people they'd be catering to, considering the frightening reaction this movie got (and how much it seemed to parallel this election year). Fans thought they were on a grand crusade to stop reboots forever. That was never going to happen, lol. All they ended up doing is making the fanbase look insane. I bring up that RGB quote again: "When you become obsessed with the enemy...you become the enemy."

Not to mention it's quite sad that the perceived "failure" of others is what makes a fanbase glad these days. Certainly movies don't make them glad anymore; why be glad about a movie when it's way more fun to whine about it. Fans were so outraged when some reboot supporters bashed GBII, but how little said fans even seem to understand that movie.
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
By JurorNo.2
And if we don't get exactly what we want, we throw a year long fit instead...

And how will they be able to continue with the original continuity at this point?

Furthermore, why should they do that when fans haven proven so unpredictable and so unforgiving when it comes to sequels?

Not to mention, nothing has been "erased." Sheesh...
By Raystantz Italy
JurorNo.2 wrote:And if we don't get exactly what we want, we throw a year long fit instead...

And how will they be able to continue with the original continuity at this point?

Furthermore, why should they do that when fans haven proven so unpredictable and so unforgiving when it comes to sequels?

Not to mention, nothing has been "erased." Sheesh...
Fans has proven so unforgiving against a reboot, not a sequel.
They can act as Gb16 never existed and pick up 30 years later. They can even insert that in the trailer: "30 years ago, four friends saved New York. This summer a new team will answer the call."
By savintheday
I'm of the opinion that there didn't need to be a Ghostbusters III (or in hindsight a Ghostbusters II) and especially not a reboot, and I am definitely glad that this version won't be continuing.

I think the best path forward is an animated movie or series in the vein of Pixar or the current TMNT cartoon. The kids would love it as well as adults.
By JurorNo.2
Raystantz Italy wrote: They can act as Gb16 never existed
Or you can. You don't need a studio to do it for you.
They can even insert that in the trailer: "30 years ago, four friends saved New York. This summer a new team will answer the call."
The general audience has already seen the GB16 trailer. They'd just be confused if they saw the exact same tagline again. And what would yet another newteam look like? Having all male, or even a mixed team would risk being a PR nightmare at this point. And again, it would just be confusing. It's not as simple as remaking Spiderman...again...and again (aka generic white guy who wears a mask half the time).

Not to mention the original cast has been seen supporting the GB16 cast (Murray even suggested they be cast). It wouldn't look at all if they suddenly made a movie that was aggressively trying to "erase" them. Especially if it looked like they were placating the fanbase who attacked them in the first place.
By JurorNo.2
savintheday wrote:I think the best path forward is an animated movie or series in the vein of Pixar or the current TMNT cartoon. The kids would love it as well as adults.
Well that is where they want to take the Blues Brothers next.
By JurorNo.2
Raystantz Italy wrote:I was being sarcastic, joking on how Sony tried to disguise it as a sequel.
No, no, you're thinking of Force Awakens and Jurassic World now. Their entire plots are disguised as sequels, lol. Not just a tagline in a trailer. But of course I know trailers are more important than movies these days...

If you want the original continuity, there is no reason why they can't work it out that way in a GB16 sequel (a la that end credits scene).
I was being sarcastic
Ah, I see. You mean you're still hurt because you think a movie was "erased."
By MagicPrime
JurorNo.2 wrote:
deadderek wrote:To be a bit more on topic I'm also glad the film flopped. Hopefully Sony learns their lesson and goes forward in vastly different directions.
More likely they will say, "Eh, why bother?" The reaction to GB16 was not normal reboot hate. No one could have predicted the criticism would be so ridiculously toxic. What studio wants to take a chance on that again? And suppose they get yet another new director in, then we're going even further away from the original source material. Next time Reitman could be even less involved. And frankly, they could be wondering just what types of people they'd be catering to, considering the frightening reaction this movie got (and how much it seemed to parallel this election year). Fans thought they were on a grand crusade to stop reboots forever. That was never going to happen, lol. All they ended up doing is making the fanbase look insane. I bring up that RGB quote again: "When you become obsessed with the enemy...you become the enemy."

Not to mention it's quite sad that the perceived "failure" of others is what makes a fanbase glad these days. Certainly movies don't make them glad anymore; why be glad about a movie when it's way more fun to whine about it. Fans were so outraged when some reboot supporters bashed GBII, but how little said fans even seem to understand that movie.
Is this supposed to be the "rub our nose in it" and "look at what you've done" speech?
seekandannoy liked this
By JurorNo.2
MagicPrime wrote: Is this supposed to be the "rub our nose in it" and "look at what you've" done speech?
You mean like a "You're ruining the franchise if you support this feminist garbage!" kind of speech?
deadderek liked this
By MagicPrime
JurorNo.2 wrote:
MagicPrime wrote: Is this supposed to be the "rub our nose in it" and "look at what you've" done speech?
You mean like a "You're ruining the franchise if you support this feminist garbage!" kind of speech?
I have never said anything even close to that in any of my criticisms of the movie. So I'd appreciate not being compared to those people. I am, however, asking about your previous statement. Is that the message you're trying to get across?
seekandannoy liked this
By JurorNo.2
MagicPrime wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
I have never said anything even close to that in any of my criticisms of the movie. So I'd appreciate not being compared to those people. I am, however, asking about your previous statement. Is that the message you're trying to get across?
Did you ask the same question of "those people"?
By MagicPrime
JurorNo.2 wrote:
MagicPrime wrote:
You've dodged the question twice now.
seekandannoy liked this
By JurorNo.2
MagicPrime wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
You've dodged the question twice now.
No. I have not.
By MagicPrime
JurorNo.2 wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
MagicPrime wrote:
I asked my question, you answered with a question. That is a dodge. I then replied, and rephrased my question. You then answered with a question for a second time. Dodge #2.

So I will ask a third time. Were you trying to have a 'look at what you've done' kinda moment there?

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]