By MightyAni
I'd love to see pics as well. We've got some natural/white ABS at work that is just begging to be used for a gun box.
By gregg.nowling
Hey guys. Sorry it took so long to get these pics. 3D printing is something I still fight with. I know just enough to be dangerous, but not nearly enough to be able to trouble shoot every problem.

First, these pieces printed great. There were no issues at all with the files or the design. I'll be honest enough to say I don't know enough about the box itself to speak on its accuracy, but from what I can tell it's a beautiful piece of work.

The troubles I had with it were simply the box is about 1/2" too big for my machine, so at about hour 15.5 of the print, I had to stop it, figure out where I stopped it at, go back to the file, slice off a section to finish the print, then glue it all together. I still need to do all the clean up and fill in of the seams, but it looks like it'll go together beautifully.

My random thoughts on 3d printing. I don't like using 3d prints as the final piece as a general rule. I'd rather print them, clean them up and mold them, and do the final parts in fiberglass or resin. I worry about the 3d piece coming apart over time. Not to mention, if you were going to do multiples of the same part, I'd rather clean it up once. But that's me.

TheLegendOfMart .....you did great work and you should be exceptionally proud of this first attempt. Let me know if you take commission design work. I have a piece I'd love to make.

It looks great!

It's as accurate as I could get it looking at off angle reference pictures. Paul Feig released a couple of pictures of production pack and one has the wand with box dimensions written on. It is 5 x 5.75 x 3.5" in the pictures and mine is 5 x 6 x 3.4".

Commission isn't something I'd really want to be doing, I am a complete amateur and I wouldn't be confident that I can make whatever it is you had in mind.
gregg.nowling liked this
By gregg.nowling
TheLegendOfMart wrote:It looks great!

It's as accurate as I could get it looking at off angle reference pictures. Paul Feig released a couple of pictures of production pack and one has the wand with box dimensions written on. It is 5 x 5.75 x 3.5" in the pictures and mine is 5 x 6 x 3.4".

Commission isn't something I'd really want to be doing, I am a complete amateur and I wouldn't be confident that I can make whatever it is you had in mind.

After spending all day looking at it and comparing it to the real thing, I can't find a single thing wrong with it. Now to go to the hardware store and find some greblies.

Gregg
TheLegendOfMart liked this
By gregg.nowling
I've gotten the Synchrotron inner bowl ( I'm not really sure what everything is called yet) put together, and the next step is to put the copper coils in. I thought I'd try using the long springs from a screen door, but those are a little too thick. So after doing some digging, I found some deliming springs for a coffee pot. They are 1/3" thick and 20" long...and best part...they are $1.19 each. I figure it'll take about 4. I should have them in a week or so, and I'll keep you posted if they work.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/coffee- ... 01033.html

Gregg
MightyAni liked this
By vmax1974
gregg.nowling wrote:I've gotten the Synchrotron inner bowl ( I'm not really sure what everything is called yet) put together, and the next step is to put the copper coils in. I thought I'd try using the long springs from a screen door, but those are a little too thick. So after doing some digging, I found some deliming springs for a coffee pot. They are 1/3" thick and 20" long...and best part...they are $1.19 each. I figure it'll take about 4. I should have them in a week or so, and I'll keep you posted if they work.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/coffee- ... 01033.html

Gregg
Good find on the springs and gun box looks good drop me a message if you still want the mobo files

New V2 of the box, though it doesn't look like it I reworked a LOT of the older box, reducing complexity, adding little things I missed and fixing some incorrect details. This is more or less "done" now, other than getting exact measurements I wont be adding or changing anything else.

The differences between the two are mainly the copper pipe holes at the top and the side T-Junction.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1723959
Last edited by TheLegendOfMart on August 17th, 2016, 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
MightyAni, vmax1974 liked this
gregg.nowling wrote:Hey guys....can someone tell me what I'm missing here? I know the two parts that go together to make the top of this....but I feel like there is a third part.

TE CONNECTIVITY / AMP 206705-2

Maybe it is something like that, the grip pipe might be threaded for it to screw into then 206708-1 screws into the top?
gregg.nowling, Kingpin liked this
By gregg.nowling
TheLegendOfMart wrote:
gregg.nowling wrote:Hey guys....can someone tell me what I'm missing here? I know the two parts that go together to make the top of this....but I feel like there is a third part.

TE CONNECTIVITY / AMP 206705-2

Maybe it is something like that, the grip pipe might be threaded for it to screw into then 206708-1 screws into the top?

That was the closest thing I could find too. Thanks for the other set of eyes on this.

Gregg
By gregg.nowling
I decided not to try to find the green light on the box, so I just laser cut them instead.

If anyone is doing TheLegendOfMart thrower box and wants one, PM me and I'll send it out to you (US only please).

TheLegendOfMart....if you want a couple, let me know and I'll send you some.

GreggImage
I think that's what they used on the actual thrower, there is no button that is similar dimensions. It's just a bit of green transparent acrylic glued on.

Thanks for the offer but I live in the UK, it's not worth sending it all the way here.
By shoujoaifan
The thrower box is the one or two parts (aside from the heatsink) where I would be tempted to order a 3d print rather than scratch build....but would also be tempted to scratch build for bragging rights.

Biggest question is how stable would it be if I made one out of styrene? Like, would I have to connect the handle and blaster rods together inside the box so the box is just wrapped around and not necessary for strength? Or is the box not big enough to hide a connector?

If it turns out the only way to make a necessary strong enough box is either molding my own or 3d print, then I would splurge on a 3d print to save time.
By PinkInDetroit
vmax1974 wrote:I have only done this one as its the one i intend to use for my wifes and some of our friends packs

I also have it on .dxf file if you wanted to have it waterjet or laser cut

Hi, just joined but I've been lurking for a little bit now and I keep coming back to your schematics. How much for your MOBO files? Not sure how I'm getting them cut yet, but I'm having some friends of mine trying to figure something out for me. Thanks!
By gregg.nowling
RedRoss9 wrote:Has anyone thought about, or attempted, to actually cast this in aluminum? In a sand mold, using 1/8 inch foam cut like the diagram provided in an earlier reply?
And I gotta say....it'd look horrible. It would be sooo rough and the amount of clean up it would take to make it look remotely decent would be...well a lot!

I think unfortunately to do it right, you'd have to laser cut it or water jet it.

Gregg
MightyAni liked this
By vmax1974
Save hijacking this thread any more i have put the mobo files in the for sale section on here

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=42217
vmax1974 wrote:I have only done this one as its the one i intend to use for my wifes and some of our friends packs

I also have it on .dxf file if you wanted to have it waterjet or laser cut

TheLegendOfMart liked this
By RedRoss9
Ah well, casting in aluminum was a thought. Just not a good one. I'm browsing Thingverse for 3D printing files for as many parts as possible (trying to reduce weight). If I can print lots of parts then that'll reduce the weight of the whole shebang, and I can possibly (for now) get by with an acrylic mobo. There's a local 3D printer that charges $0.25 per cubic centimeter to print, so I'm going to get a quote from them and see what the damage would be.
MightyAni liked this

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]