Have you picked up your AMT Ecto-1a model yet? Start a topic in this forum and share your build along with hundreds of others!
By GBfan_85
Hey guys, if anyone is interested in lighting up their Ecto, I can put together a guide to go by. Jake Leroy is definitely a good source of info for getting start too. I'm redoing the Ecto 1A now, so I can do a step by step if you guys want. It's complicated but not impossible.
Jake LeRoy liked this
By Jake LeRoy
Glad you are doing this! I haven't had time to put a guide up but am willing to answer any questions people have.
I might pick up another kit after I'm finished with my other projects an do a step by step but that's gonna be awhile.
By GBfan_85
Yeah I think it would be helpful for people doing this the first time around.

Ok so to start here's a breakdown of the lights you'd need for the Ecto-1. These light sizes will fit for the 1:25 Polar Lights version as well as the 1:43 and 1:18 Hot Wheels Elite. Same for the Ecto 1A. I got my LEDs from modeltrainsoftware.com with pretty good success. These lights have resistors built in and have many, many options to customize your light pattern. They also have the Ecto-1 siren available for purchase as well!

Ecto-1:
16 x3mm SLOW FLASH BLUE for flood lights, front and rear light bar
1 x3mm STEADY BLUE for door spotlight
1 x3mm SLOW FLASH RED for rooftop light
6 x5mm STEADY WARM WHITE for head/tail lights
2 x3mm FAST FLASH COOL WHITE for front grille strobe lights

26 LIGHTS TOTAL

It's no mystery the Ecto 1A is a bit more complicated with it's number of lights. So if you're just stating out, I'd recommend starting with the Ecto-1 to get a feel for working with LED wiring.

Ecto 1A

4 x mm STEADY GREEN for the flood lights
6 x 5mm WARM WHITE for the headlights and tail lights
3 x 3mm COOL WHITE FAST FLASH for the 3 strobes
6 x 3mm YELLOW SLOW FLASH for the light bars and police bar
3 x 3mm RED SLOW FLASH for the front light bar & rotating light on the green box
2 x 3mm BLUE SLOW FLASH for the rear light bar
4 x 3mm GREEN SLOW FLASH for the light bars
4 x 3mm GREEN FAST FLASH for the police bar
2 x 3mm BLUE FAST FLASH for the police bar
2 x 3mm ORANGE SLOW FLASH for the front grille
8 x NANO CHIP AMBER FLASH for directional stick

44 TOTAL

Because the Ecto 1A has many different colored lights, here's a breakdown of their pattern order as well as where miscellaneous lights are placed.

Front Light Bar from left to right (facing the light bar)
Y-R-G-R-G-Y
2 x3mm YELLOW SLOW FLASH
2 x3mm RED SLOW FLASH
2 x3mm GREEN SLOW FLASH

Police Bar (the strobe bar above the front light bar, from left to right facing the light bar) the modeltrainsoftware.com website has an option of building a customized light police bar that has a "wig-wag" pattern. It's more expensive, so that's up to you.
G-B-Y-G———G-Y-B-G
4 x3mm GREEN FAST FLASH
2 x3mm BLUE FAST FLASH
2 x3mm YELLOW SLOW FLASH

Rear Light Bar (facing the light bar)
Y-B-G-G-B-Y
2 x3mm YELLOW SLOW FLASH
2 x3mm BLUE SLOW FLASH
2 x3mm GREEN SLOW FLASH

Front Grille/Rear
4 x5mm WARM WHITE Headlights
2 x5mm WARM WHITE Tail Lights
2 x 3mm COOL WHITE FAST FLASH Strobe Lights
2 x3mm AMBER SLOW FLASH “Rotating” Lights (I put two on mine to give it more of a rotating look)

Single Lights
1 x3mm RED SLOW FLASH “Rotating” Light
1 x3mm COOL WHITE FAST FLASH Strobe Light
4 x3mm GREEN STEADY Flood Lights

More to come!...
Jake LeRoy, racoon liked this
By GBfan_85
Sure. I'd need more info on what you're trying to do though. Ecto-1? 1A? Is it the Polar Lights or AMT 1:25 models or the Hot Wheels Elite 1:18 models? Plus how experienced are you with LEDs?
By ldj85
Have a AMT and going to create the 1a as dont fancy the issues converting to the 1.

I am a complete NOOB lol. Just wanna make this one my first and best but my dad is a electrician if all else fails lol
By GBfan_85
Lol no worries. LEDs are pretty fool proof (for the most part). You don't need any electrician experience to work with them. The difficult part is incorporating led installation with a model you're building. You have to have a lot of foresight in knowing when it's okay to glue things together as opposed to waiting. I know the models like the back of my hand so I knew what parts were gonna give me trouble long before I even started to work on it. I'll tell you this though; the 1:25 scale is much more difficult than the 1:18 hot wheels version strictly in regards to size. Also working with the Ecto 1A; there are A LOT of lights. So it's going to be expensive if you want it to look movie accurate. Not try on to scare you away, just letting you know ahead what you're getting yourself in to. :)
By GBfan_85
Good deal. Ok gimme a day or two to lay out some stuff for you. The model train website has some new, smaller LEDS that'll make it a bit easier for you.
By Jake LeRoy
Hey bro! Been a minute just wondering If you got a video up for your ectos? I'm currently working on a dukes of hazzard 1/18 scale rosco patrol car when it's done I'll post a video of it.
By GBfan_85
Jake LeRoy wrote:Hey bro! Been a minute just wondering If you got a video up for your ectos? I'm currently working on a dukes of hazzard 1/18 scale rosco patrol car when it's done I'll post a video of it.

Hey bud! The Ecto-1 is pretty much done. But the emergency lights power button slipped out of it's hole so I gotta open her back up to put it back in place. 1A is close to done, I'm working on a way to light the signboards and thiiiiink I might have a plan. I haven't gotten around to making a video because we bought a house, are in the process of packing and I have them all packed away for now. But I did get some pics of them before I boxed them up.

Last edited by Kingpin on September 1st, 2015, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed forum stretching
Kingpin liked this
By GBfan_85
nosaj76 wrote:Has there been any progress on your Ecto 1A with the light board idea?
I've tried a couple things here and there but nothing seems to be working. My wife's pregnant with our second little one so been pretty busy with that. But if I figure something out, I'll be sure to post it!
By abaddon5
I know that this is an old thread, but how did you get the headlights to light up? I've been searching for clear parts to replace the chrome stuff to no avail.
By GBfan_85
Hey there, not sure if you found the answer to this, but you have to drill from inside the chassis. It's REALLY hard because the fender well is in the well and plus it's metal, so it take a long time.
By maks72RuS
Hello! Could you provide more detailed photos with the wiring? as you did the headlights, etc. What material is used, etc.
Sorry for my bad english!
I want to make a software upgrade ecto 1 1:18 hot wheles.
Thank you for understanding!
GBfan_85 wrote:
Jake LeRoy wrote:Hey bro! Been a minute just wondering If you got a video up for your ectos? I'm currently working on a dukes of hazzard 1/18 scale rosco patrol car when it's done I'll post a video of it.

Hey bud! The Ecto-1 is pretty much done. But the emergency lights power button slipped out of it's hole so I gotta open her back up to put it back in place. 1A is close to done, I'm working on a way to light the signboards and thiiiiink I might have a plan. I haven't gotten around to making a video because we bought a house, are in the process of packing and I have them all packed away for now. But I did get some pics of them before I boxed them up.

By Darkowski
I found this thread...

I'm starting my own build of the Ecto-1a for a Halloween Group Build.
I'll be building my own circuits and lights.

As for aftermarket parts, I found the photoetch set from Paragrafix.
Any other aftermarket parts out there? As in ... headlights/front grill?

Also, what's the best chrome product? Alclad, or those Molotow chrome pens?

Thank you!

Darek

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]