Post your suggestions or feedback about the site here.
By gbrandwood
Hi all

I'm guessing as a new member, my ability to contact one of the admins via PM is not yet activated (the message is sat in my Outbox). So, I thought I'd post the question here.

I'm in the UK and would like to order some bits and bobs - but want to minimise the cost. I've added several items into my basket, some are in stock, some are not. The shopping cart has split my order into 3 packages. Ordinarily this would be great as it would mean you would get your hands on the bits that were available first. However, as an international customer (I'm in the UK), every separate parcel is likely to incur a separate handling charge by the carrier. E.g., if I get one package, I get charged anywhere between £5-20 (guess) for processing the tax and duty. If I receive my items across 3 packages, I will get 3 separate handling charges, anywhere between £15-60!

I know it's not gbfans fault that I'm in another country but I wonder if there's a way of purchasing items that are in stock now, but having the option to not post them out until all items ordered are in stock? Can this be done? Some less sophisticated shopping carts do this by default which in this case, would ironically work out better for me. The option would be great. Or perhaps it could be arranged off-line?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this, thanks.
By Kingpin
Your ability to send Private Messages should be active now, however it will only disappear from your outbox once it's been read by the person it was sent to.

I'm on the same side of the pond as yourself so I can only work off of limited information I've gotten from AJ over the years. I suspect the first reason there isn't a system like this already in place is because it'd require additional space to store the various in-process orders, and unlike Amazon, AJ probably doesn't have a committed space to keep orders which are partially-completed, but are waiting on other items to be stocked.

A second, additional issue, are some of the item stock levels. Some items in the GBFans Store aren't constantly in stock, some are restocked seasonly (say, in the months running up to Halloween), while others are items that are becoming scarcer in supply - such as original Pack and Trap parts. While some pages may be maintained in the hope that he can get some more items in, it could then mean there might be several months of wait time before a full order that's been suspended can be finished.

There are probably other reasons he's set it up the way it is, though you'd have to speak to him to find out what, if any, they are.
By gbrandwood
Hey thanks for the information. Sounds weird about the PM/Outbox situation but now I know it's fine.

They all sound like good reasons for me, especially the stock storage bit. Makes sense.

Have you ordered much from the store to the UK? What has your experience been regarding customs and handling charges? Who tends to deliver the final leg? Thanks for any info.
By Kingpin
I've not ordered recently, but from experience it sometimes ended up being hit and miss, much like if I'd bought anything from one of the sellers in the store, or from some of the other part sellers who had stores like the GBFans one.

Some orders would get with an import/VAT charge, some would sneak under the RADAR (the bigger, heavier ones often being the more likely ones to get hit if memory serves).

Although the charges are annoying, the process to pay them off is fairly streamlined (unlike if it's something being held at my local sorting off that I have to pay for - on one occasion I ended up paying for an item twice because of a postman's sloppy handwriting).

I think almost exclusively in the final leg, it was Parcel Force who'd deliver the item (and who'd notify you if there was a charge).
gbrandwood liked this
By Venkman's Swagger
Just to add to what Kingpin has said, I often find that smaller less expensive items that ship First Class International get delivered by Royal Mail. The larger items I've ordered that I've shipped priority have all been delivered via Parcelforce. I've also always paid customs and handling fees on anything over $40 in value :-(
gbrandwood liked this
By AJ Quick
Just contact me after you place your order. I can (if possible) group your items into one box.

Some items this is not possible for though. Keep in mind too that grouping them into one box typically won't save you very much on the shipping charges, but you will avoid having to pay separate 8GBP charges for Royal Mail handling.

The GBFans users' inbox is not monitored, if that's where you sent the message.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]