Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By NickyTea
With all due respect to the entire creative team -- I'm a dedicated reader -- I find Tristan Jones' work on the ancillary pieces superior to the aesthetic choices made in the main book, and more befitting of the franchise. I feel that a greater degree of verisimilitude and sincerity in the aesthetic approach would do well to highlight the storytelling ambitions on display.

I can't be the only GBfan that feels this way, can I?
By ProtonCharger
You aren't. Id support the heck out of a tristain solo drawn gb book.
Just not while shoening is on the title.
By JayTigran
I enjoy everything about the comic. Erik's writing, Dan's drawings, Luis' colors, and of course Tristan's back up PCOC and/or mini stories.

I'm glad all four of these creative guys have a place with the comic, and I wouldn't want to change it personally (though I am aware the four can't go on forever making this comic)

For now I'm very happy with the way the comic is done.

But, if for some reason Dan left the comic, I think Tristan would do an excellent job on the main part of the book. He certainly has his own style (just as Dan does) and he brings a wealth of awesome to it (and he's one of the few out spoken EGB enthusiasts so there's another point for Tristan).

Sorry, started rambling.

Point is: I like how it's being done, but if for some reason Dan left I would like to see Tristan take over the main feature.
By Razorgeist
The entire creative team is awesome Dan's artwork in particular is a real treat. That being said I love Tristan's art style. Sort of a 3 way cross of the RBG style (at its darkest) EGB's unique style (and how) and a Mike Mignola look. His work on the Tobin story and Who killed Laura Parr has been exemplary. And it was he who got me buying the Ghostbusters ongoing, Ive been emailing IDW telling them he deserves his own miniseries at least.
By Erik Burnham
It's funny, some of the perception of the title equals out to perceiving the franchise as horror with a touch of comedy or a comedy with a touch of horror.

Subtle distinction.

For me, Dan's art has lightened where I go with the script. If I was still working with Kyle Hotz, I know I'd be writing a couple of shades darker. If I wrote for Tristan, I'd have to do it from the great beyond as he'd stab me with a spoon.

Did I say that?

(;

But the book doing well has already caused IDW to license RGB as well (those things all being technically separate.) So keep up the support and you never know where Jones will pop up.

(Meantime, give him good vibes and support on the creator-owned and top-secret stuff he has in development -- I daresay you'll dig 'em!)
By GhstbstrLMLIII
Erik - are you allowed to say if the RGB license is just over previously produced material (like the RGB Omnibus on the way - which I am thrilled about!) or does it allow new things to be added?

From the wording of your post, it makes me think the latter - but I certainly don't want to put words in your mouth. And if you legally can't say anything more at this point, I understand that too.
By TristanJones
I just want to say a big thanks for the support guys. Really big thanks -- I think a few people knew this but It was actually looking a little rocky for a while there, because I've got to find somewhere new to live, and money's been getting tighter and tighter, and a couple of local jobs were making it look like I'd have to take leave from Ghostbusters, but the messages I was getting about things like Laura Parr (especially) kinda made me go back and try and figure out a way to stay on.

I've said before, a number of times that I'd love to get back into writing, and that I do have one or two stories I'd kill a man to be able to tell (that are probably more RGB/EGB in tone funnily enough), but Erik, Dan and Tom have things planned out pretty solidly for the next while, and I don't want to do anything to throw them or the book off track, because I'm enjoying it as a fan as much as I'm enjoying working on it. If a time ever presented itself where Erik/Dan/Tom/whoever wanted me to do something, I'd definitely drop everything else to do it, but again, from what I've heard so far, things coming up are going to be pretty great.

If by some chance the opportunity comes up to do something outside of the continuing story Erik's telling with Dan, then that might be something, and I've certainly put myself forward for a couple of things that were on the cards, but unfortunately didn't pan out (like the Tobin's Spirit Guide thing most of you know about), so the possibility is always there it seems. If the "Real Ghostbusters" thing turns out to be a license beyond just reprinting the older material then I'd certainly put my hand up to work on it, but at the end of the day none of this is up to me, and IDW need to do what's best for them, for the book and for you guys as fans and the people reading and enjoying these books on a regular basis.

As Erik said (and as I mentioned before) the support really is genuinely overwhelming, so I guess only the continuation of that can really help make anything happen.
By Erik Burnham
I wish I could say. I can't say!

Jones just REALLY wants to do RGB so he can make canon that cartoon about Venkman, Slimer, and a clay spinning wheel. (;

Kidding. (OR AM I?)

Seriously, money talks - and the better GB does, the more they'll consider pumping out. Licensing RGB is a pretty good step; they may well do more with the property. And if there's an opening for any original miniseries set in the world of RGB? I think Jones would be an awesome choice to cull new threads from the massive tapestry of that continuity.
By GhstbstrLMLIII
TristanJones wrote:(that are probably more RGB/EGB in tone funnily enough)
Gotta say - I am loving the RGB styled art in the Laura Parr story - and the close up shot on the particle thrower was awesome.

Erik - you tease! haha. No I understand. I plan to keep buying all the issues as they come out and to pick up the RGB Omnibus when it is released later this fall.

(I do have another license question which you probably can't legally answer yet either, but I'll throw it out for discussion here on the boards - Does the RGB license to re-print material include the old RGB Magazines? I've seen some art pictures for the first Omnibus and the one picture appears to be art from the magazines more so than the NOW comics.)
By Erik Burnham
I don't know IDW's plans -- but with licensed properties, Sony owns it.

If IDW lost Ghostbusters tomorrow, say, to Dark Horse, an omnibus of the ongoing series Dan and I have done could be put out by DH the day after that. (Just as IDW has reprinted Marvel GI Joe stuff.)

Following that logic, any RGB material is PROBABLY fair game to reprint unless there's a contract from back when saying otherwise.
By GhstbstrLMLIII
Interesting. Thanks for the insight! I wasn't sure if the particular publishers had their own separate rights that would also need to be secured (like NOW vs the Magazines or as your example put it, IDW to DH) but now I know.
By Erik Burnham
Well, I was using an example based on prior things -- it is guesswork, and it's possible that there was wording in a contract with (any particular project) that allows an initial publisher to keep reprint rights.

So take it with a grain of salt -- while I know it's the case (with GI Joe and Hasbro) I can't say 100% that it's the case with Sony and Ghostbusters. I'm just guessing that it is. (:
By Josh Foote
Razorgeist wrote:Well I've been buying the solo issues like they cure diabetes plus the trades so Im doing my part.
You and me both! I literally have every cover they have produced from all of the IDW stuff sans 1 cover. (Which I am still looking for.) Everyone needs to keep supporting this so we get more issues! I just can not believe we are coming up on issue 12 already!
By TristanJones
I just got given a handful of covers from Challengers Comics (courtesy of one Jimmy Hayes, who's been an incredible support to us as a team). If any collectors out there are after them, let me know. Some of you have my email, but I check the messages pretty regularly.

As Erik said, it's the support that counts. The better the book does, the more likely it is you'll see books on the side of the main book. I'm not going to put words in the mouths of my bosses, so it MAY not happen, but it CERTAINLY won't if the book isn't healthy.
By mrmichaelt
It doesn't have to be a Volume 3 in the ongoing comic book series, but I'd still like to see a mini-series or a series of one-shots from Tristan Jones who has done a damn good job in keeping me interested in his Wicker Man style pitch. Over on deviantArt, he made his comment:
Everything spins out of the Wicker man style one... If it happens, you'll see why... :wink:
My guess as to what he means is whatever happens, at some point a P.K.E. surge or shockwave is set off and that jump starts more paranormal activity continuing his other known pitches.

As a recap, he has done 3-4 pitches at various points when IDW had the license starting back in 2009. Over the years, I've sort of put it together what they entail (links for when Tristan said this stuff is all up on his page on the GB wiki):

1) Wicker Man style horror

*Involves trees, witchcraft, cults, and a life at stake

2) Tobin and Ghostbusters story with a Grundel

*A Ghostbusters annual featuring a John Tobin story that would be the thrust of the issue just like "The Man Who Sought Death" in Ghostbusters #8 and Dan Schoening, Luis Delgado, and Erik Burnham would tell a contemporary story alongside it.
*Would have expanded on Tobin's encounter with the Grundel

3) Crime procedural

*Jones discussed with Shaun Knowler, writer (and friend), an idea for the Spider Witch. It was essentially a sequel to Ghostbusters: The Video Game.
*The pitch was then done with Andres Ponce (who did the art). This was the 2nd pitch Jones did. This was Fall 2009.
*The story was set after the "Displaced Aggression" mini series, kind of ignored the others, and rolled straight on after the events of The Video Game.
*The basic outline was Egon and Ray investigating a series of murders that took place in the same fashion as the Spider Witch murders referenced in The Video Game

4) Standard GB story

5) Unidentified

i) I'm not sure which pitch this was from the above list but he said in his original pitch back in 2009, the Ghostbusters in the process of developing new vehicles. Egon and Ray devised a mobile containment unit/god trap, which is built into the back of a garbage truck similar to the Ecto-Garbage Truck in Extreme Ghostbusters. He also had them working on mounted proton cannons to go on Ecto-1 and other vehicles or even buildings. Sonic devices would also have been brought in and played with. I think this might be the 4) Standard GB story pitch?

ii) Jones showed some artwork for a pitch starting with Janine in the Firehouse shifting to the basement where Egon and Peter were talking about the former's study of particular entities in a new containment field.
*The idea behind the basement was it's been expanded somewhat differently: containment units up in the main hall that have been "perfected" and made into a small room sized chamber that's built into the wall near the Containment Unit.
*The idea was that Egon Spengler and Ray Stantz built a new cell connected directly to the Containment Unit, allowing them (once they figured out how) to extract specific entities to study in an enclosed and safe environment.
*The "Slimer-like" entity in the containment cell was a new entity Jones noted was "it's sort of like a copycat, but with a twist. It's somewhere between a possessor and a copycat."
*The "Slimer" ghost incarcerated in the cell underwent a horrendous transformation

iii) Jones also had an idea for a one off story featuring Jennifer from the first film where she really started developing powers beyond her control and comprehension, and goes straight to Peter about it.

So anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing this materialize in a Volume 3 but I'd be just as happy if IDW gives the greenlight for these pitches to be a series of somewhat connected one-shots like the Haunted Holidays set back in the day.

Thoughts?
By Ghostbuster-Adem84
I heard bits and pieces of the 2009 pitches but the last part (Unidentified) you went into details with I got to admit I never heard any of it. I personally like the Jennifer pitch and I think the spider witch arc had it gone through would have really let him cut loose with his incredible detailing of equipment and vehicles. Just seeing his take on the video game pack and Ecto-1b would be amazing. I've always thought IDW would benefit from his dark noir style every few arcs to bring in some diversity. Not that Dan's work was bad or anything, but like seeing different artist's take on the franchise. I also think if the company should ever decide to put out a Real Ghostbusters four parter to test the waters I think Tristan would suit the title just fine.
JayTigran liked this
By mrmichaelt
I agree, it's in part why I cherish the PCOC pages, the Tobin back up story, and the Laura Parr arc so much.

Since you mentioned it, he did in fact also pitch a RGB digital comic series with Tom Waltz in 2013. IDW passed and that's how Tristan came to do subscription covers in Volume 2's Mass Hysteria! instead.
http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 7#p4804597
http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 9#p4804609
By Razorgeist
1) Wicker Man style horror

*Involves trees, witchcraft, cults, and a life at stake
Perhaps a much darker "If I were a witch man". I'd be interested in a Wicker-man style GB story (though Im not a fan of that movie)
3) Crime procedural

*Jones discussed with Shaun Knowler, writer (and friend), an idea for the Spider Witch. It was essentially a sequel to Ghostbusters: The Video Game.
*The pitch was then done with Andres Ponce (who did the art). This was the 2nd pitch Jones did. This was Fall 2009.
*The story was set after the "Displaced Aggression" mini series, kind of ignored the others, and rolled straight on after the events of The Video Game.
*The basic outline was Egon and Ray investigating a series of murders that took place in the same fashion as the Spider Witch murders referenced in The Video Game
Now thats what im talking about.
By mrmichaelt
Razorgeist wrote: Perhaps a much darker "If I were a witch man". I'd be interested in a Wicker-man style GB story (though Im not a fan of that movie)
Which one? I heard the '73 one is a cult classic.
Razorgeist wrote:Now thats what im talking about.
Ha!
By Razorgeist
mrmichaelt wrote:
Razorgeist wrote: Perhaps a much darker "If I were a witch man". I'd be interested in a Wicker-man style GB story (though Im not a fan of that movie)
Which one? I heard the '73 one is a cult classic.
The 73 one...yeah I know shock of all shocks (I didnt even bother with the Nick Cage one)
By mrmichaelt
Razorgeist wrote:The 73 one...yeah I know shock of all shocks (I didnt even bother with the Nick Cage one)
rofl. I don't blame you. I think Jones would have a good take on it, though.
By Razorgeist
mrmichaelt wrote:
Razorgeist wrote:The 73 one...yeah I know shock of all shocks (I didnt even bother with the Nick Cage one)
rofl. I don't blame you. I think Jones would have a good take on it, though.
You could probably turn it into the 3rd Samhain story. Have a bunch of black magic cultists free Samhain from the ECU.
By mrmichaelt
Razorgeist wrote: You could probably turn it into the 3rd Samhain story. Have a bunch of black magic cultists free Samhain from the ECU.
Probably. In terms of a RGB story, I've been soured on cults by the end of the RGB run.

As an IDW story. Could be an interesting one. Tristan, I think, set up the notion a new version of Samhain could exist in the IDW verse in the Sam Hain PCOC file. Then I think as an easter egg, there was an issue in Volume 2... probably #9 on Egon's white board - he had his Samhain art up with 'Class 11' written down and an arrow pointing to him.

But a cult story of any kind would be intriguing.
By mrmichaelt
Clever.

I was flipping through Total Containment and read Sam Hain's PCOC file again and it stated Hain based his stage name on Samhain, a Celtic witch-god worshiped largely by practitioners of black magic in the Middle Ages. Hmm, wonder if he was seeding this Wicker Man-style story in this PCOC file...

Or if you bought the access pack you get them inst[…]

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]