This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By rockstar232007
They open outwards, and I take back the part about the doors needing to be moved, I was watching the scene where the Ecto-1 is leaving the firehouse on it's way to the Sedgwick, I noticed that they are recessed a little. :cool::blush:
By Kingpin
I believe the bases of the pillars beneath the hexagonal segment are a bit thinner.

I've started collecting the images together, so far only the Basement's done and will be the only one up tonight as I think I have close to a hundred (or possibly even over) pictures of the First Floor engine bay from various films, TV shows and sets from people who have actually visited it in person.
By Dan AKA
Kingpin wrote:I believe the bases of the pillars beneath the hexagonal segment are a bit thinner.

I've started collecting the images together, so far only the Basement's done and will be the only one up tonight as I think I have close to a hundred (or possibly even over) pictures of the First Floor engine bay from various films, TV shows and sets from people who have actually visited it in person.

Have you tried getting a hold of L.A. public records or someone in L.A. who can access public records and just gotten a floor plan?
By Ramjet
Dan AKA wrote: Have you tried getting a hold of L.A. public records or someone in L.A. who can access public records and just gotten a floor plan?
Ectochromatic has offered to do just that, although the process is somewhat involved. It may take a while.
By Ramjet
AJ Quick wrote:"I could go down to the hall of records and check out the structural details in the building. Maybe the building itself has a history of psychic turbulence."
I think it has a bigger history of tourist turbulence!
By Kingpin
Dan AKA wrote:Have you tried getting a hold of L.A. public records or someone in L.A. who can access public records and just gotten a floor plan?
I haven't, to be honest, but I'm not sure how successful it would be. Even if I did get them, like Hook & Ladder 8, Engine Company 23 has apparently had some extensive modification since it was built in 1909.

But it wouldn't hurt to try, I suppose. Just a matter of finding someone with the time to devote to having to go through the red tape.

As promised, the first part of my Engine Company 23 archive:

Fire Station 23 - Basement Reference

All of the photos have been annotated to say which direction the camera is facing, or which direction I think its facing. There's also a set of observations I've made regarding which features seen in the film were actually fake set dressing and a floorplan drawn from my own conclusions. In the case of the basement, half of the layout is speculated, as the photos I have don't present a whole 360 panorama of the room.

The first floor Engine Bay will be up in a few days. It might have to be two .rar files. The files are limited to 10 downloads and will be deleted by Rapidshare after 90 days.
By Ramjet
Thanks Kingpin. I grabbed a copy.

Would you like assistance drafting Firestation 23 as a separate project?
By Kingpin
Definitely. I know that the Vanishing Point tool your have with your copy of Photoshop will probably be invaluable in helping to tie up some of the loose stuff I'm still grappling with.
By Kingpin
f***, that took forever to do.

Over 400 photographs of the Engine Bay alone... it's the most photographed room in the entire station.

Fire Station 23 - Engine Bay Reference 1 of 3
Fire Station 23 - Engine Bay Reference 2 of 3
Fire Station 23 - Engine Bay Reference 3 of 3
Fire Station 23 - Elevator Lobby Reference

There may not be a 101st image in the set, if that is the case don't worry, I just screwed up the numbering as I went through the folder.

Once again, the files will expire in a month. No idea when the Second Floor will be going up.
By Marty120704
Kingpin that photo collection is simply amazing. Will definitely help with a construction of the firehouse. If I get time again I will redo the engine bay with these new reference photos.
By Ramjet
I'll break out some photogrammetry software I just got and see what I can come up with.

If I have at least one known measurement, I can calculate the rest.
By Kingpin
Marty120704 wrote:Kingpin that photo collection is simply amazing. Will definitely help with a construction of the firehouse. If I get time again I will redo the engine bay with these new reference photos.
Not a problem.

A few things to note:

1) The green pillars seen in the films were parts of set dressing, so their designs are different between the two films and so their measurements also likely differ. This also includes a square pillar seen near the basement door.

2) A series of outcrops, as noted on the plans, were also bits of set dressing... from my overservations they were created to hide the supports for the lighting rigs used to illuminate the engine bay.

3) I haven't noted this on the plans, but from my research I believe that the small room accessible at the Easternmost end of the station is a secondary elevator that was used to access the hay loft. Making three elevators in total.

4) The large wooden structure with the pitched top section appears to be the station's Alarm Box.

Ramjet, what's that known measurement from? :-)
By Ramjet
Kingpin - I meant if you can give me one known dimension, like ceiling height, we can extrapolate the rest.
By Kingpin
The ceiling of the engine bay is (reputedly) ceilings 21 feet (6.4 m), and the dimensions of the station only 26 feet (7.9 m) wide but 167 feet (51 m) according to the Wikipedia article. They've got their info from other sources but I admit exact figures has remained a problematic bit of info for me to find.

Failing that, we could use Atherton's height as a basis, he's apparently 6' 1.
By TheGlaze
Kingpin, absolutley fantastic photos! Ive never seen that many interior photos of station 23, and your going to put up the second level? Christmas has so come early this year :)
By Dr.D
Now, Forgive me, but is this just going to be a model, or a simulator?
By Dan AKA
That would be the firehouse facade in Universal Studios Florida. I never realized in was mobile... It now has a rollar coaster going through it.
By Kingpin
Two copies of the firestation facade were built (I couldn't tell you if they were done in the same year, or if they were built apart), I assume the original of the two being built on the Universal Backlot and the duplicate which now has a rollercoaster going through it at the Streets of New York area at Universal Florida. the Universal backlot one has shown up in a number of films that have used the real backlot, such as The Shadow and Bram Stoker's Dracula...

Sadly, it was destroyed in the fire from last summer:

For future reference, this is Engline 23 in Los Angeles:

By fixer79
That model's incredible Ramjet! Wow!

Boy, there are quite a few eye-openers in this thread!
I've always been fascinated by the Ghostbusters HQ and its locations and I love learning new stuff about them.
Thanks for all this firehouse info, y'guys!

PS: I still can't believe Hook & Ladder No8 was originally twice as wide... THAT blew me away!
By Kingpin
I'm hoping to get the galleries for the second and third floor posted this evening, but for now, a topic I rediscovered whilst trying to find something related to the station:

My past attempt a make a 3D model of the station, exterior only, made three years ago.

Edit:

Here they are.

Fire Station 23 - Second Floor Reference
Fire Station 23 - Third Floor Reference
Fire Station 23 - Engine Bay Reference additional

I'm considering going back to Hammett and seeing if there's anything I originally glanced over and missed from the third floor... and any shots I didn't know at the time were in the station.

Exterior photos will be going up next weekend as I have a solid week of University work ahead of me.
By fixer79
Thanks a bunch for the pictures, Ben!
Some of those party pictures sure are strange...
That had to be some party! ;)

Also thanks for the link to our 3D model thread. It looked pretty good, actually! Congrats too!

Good luck with your university work! :)
By Kingpin
The ones with the bits of victorian garb are from Hipgenesis, a steampunk-themed rave that's held in Los Angeles every few years. The other is DubLab, some sort of mixed media rave where art, music and video pieces are showcased. Interesting stuff.

Irritatingly, those pictures are both great and annoying... they gave me reference for an otherwise previously undocumented area of the station... but are still pretty limited, often dark and as they concentrate on the people in shot they usually leave out most of the background... :(

Still though, better than a kick in the teeth. :-)

Thanks for the comments on the model, I was dead chuffed with it when I made it, and still am, but I bow in the presence of Ramjet's superior one.

And thanks for the luck, I'll need it. ;)
By Ectofiend666
Kingpin wrote:Here they are.

Fire Station 23 - Second Floor Reference
Fire Station 23 - Third Floor Reference
Fire Station 23 - Engine Bay Reference additional
*Ben, I'm having trouble downloading these...Everytime they start to download I get a kinda "timeout" message...

*Help?

*Cheers.

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]