This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By Tyrael
Title pretty much says it all. Been meaning to tackle this for a while and only recently had the time thanks to coming down with a bad cold.

Top and bottom halves are pretty much done at this point. Curiously enough, of all the images I was able to find of the grenades, every single one of them showed the same side of the thing. Rod and glowy buttons on top, sometimes the glowy vent grate on the bottom. Never saw any images of the reverse side, so I ended up coming up with some custom detailing for them that seems to fit with the general "GB tech" aesthetic.

Next step is the strike-through inserts for the top and bottom and the glowy button covers and grate insert. Also, the rod on the top needs the metal knob on top of it, but that'll be a separate piece. Each half looks like it'll take about 8 hours on the printer to do and I'm currently in the middle of printing a bunch of scenery for my FLGS, so it will be a bit before these things are made.
Kingpin, Matt Campbell liked this
By Alex Newborn
Looks like it was clearly patterned after the "ghost bomb" in the RGB episode 'The Boogieman Cometh', which first aired in 1986. It's on Netflix, just go to the sixth ep. of season one, about four minutes in. When Venkman takes it out of a chest, you can see some additional vents as he turns it. There are likely several other glimpses of it throughout the episode.

Alex
Tyrael liked this
By Tyrael
So, the shells ended up being a bit bigger than anticipated. I went in and redid some of the proportions, as well as changing the angle of the exterior shell a bit.

Also modeled the light caps and the strikethrough caps for the top and bottom. I could still adapt the file to be more like the RGB version, where you can take the core of the grenade out via these inserts, but for now I'm fine with it being a static insert that doesn't come out.

Finally, the full assembly.

The top and bottom halves, as well as the metal cap for the rod, have all been printed. I'll get pictures of those as soon as the translucent filament is loaded and has printed the clear parts.
By Alex Newborn
Tyrael wrote: I could still adapt the file to be more like the RGB version, where you can take the core of the grenade out via these inserts, but for now I'm fine with it being a static insert that doesn't come out.
In the RGB episode, it seems like that's how Peter first activates it (in the barracks in the firehall, as a hollow threat for Slimer). He pulls up and twists the 'circle-and-slash' portion, and then when he presses it back down, it begins to blink red.

Not sure how they implement them in the comics, I've never read those.

Alex
By Tyrael
Alex Newborn wrote:
Tyrael wrote: I could still adapt the file to be more like the RGB version, where you can take the core of the grenade out via these inserts, but for now I'm fine with it being a static insert that doesn't come out.
In the RGB episode, it seems like that's how Peter first activates it (in the barracks in the firehall, as a hollow threat for Slimer). He pulls up and twists the 'circle-and-slash' portion, and then when he presses it back down, it begins to blink red.

Not sure how they implement them in the comics, I've never read those.

Alex
Well, I'm going more for the comic version than the ginormous RGB one, so I figure I can finagle something that doesn't require full show accuracy just yet. Maybe I'll do a later version after studying up on that episode.
By Tyrael
Finally done printing, cleaning, and painting!

Overall, the whole thing takes under 20 hours to print, including swapping out the black filament for translucent stuff, and that's at 0.1mm layer height!

I tried sanding it down as much as possible, but some lines are still visible.
The light caps are modeled and printed using clear filament, as are the circle-slash top and bottom plugs. I then applied translucent paint with my airbrush.

The grate window is just a piece of acrylic I cut and sanded to give a "frosted" appearance before applying the translucent yellow paint. It really pops when hit with direct light!

As mentioned before, the backside isn't really shown in the IDW comics, so I came up with some detailing that I tried to keep in the Ghostbusters aesthetic. I really like the stripes added to the bottom!

As mentioned, this is scaled to the IDW version, not the huge-ass RGB grenade, so it fits nicely in the palm of the hand.

The two black parts inside the red circle are actually separate pieces printed in black filament and inserted (and boy are they snugly in there!). This way, when I get around to making electronics for one of these, no light will peek through where it isn't supposed to. Also really pleased with how well the red took to the filament. It takes a strong light to get that thing to glow, but when it does, it looks slick!

And a shot of the bottom plug, which is basically the same as the top.

Overall, this project didn't take up a tremendous amount of time compared to my other ones, but it was still a heck of a lot of fun to do. I will probably get around to making an electronics getup for it at some point, but free time is more rare than ever these days with the kids and job, so unfortunately projects like this end up on the backburner. :walterpeck:
PrometheanWorks liked this
By DerGrundel
Wow! That came out great! Painting up the clear filament looks fantastic. If you do add electronics down the road, what will be your access for batteries? Does one of the plugs come out?
Tyrael liked this
By Tyrael
Right now the halves are just held together with a couple small dabs of glue. When I get around to lights and such, I'll Dremel out a couple slots for magnets that will hold them together and will probably glue the red plugs in, as right now they're just held in by friction (all the pieces seriously fit together like a dream).
By Tyrael
DerGrundel wrote:Good plan! That's great that everything fits so snugly. It's something I occasionally have difficulty with when modeling
Honestly? I didn't design for much in the way of tolerances and just sanded the crap out of things till they fit. :-P
By Alex Newborn
I like it, and I'd be tempted to print one even bigger.

Am I the only one getting more of a Star Wars vibe off that design, though? I mean, I always thought so, even when I saw that episode in the 80s the first time.

I was going through a box today looking for my original thrower made in the 80s, and found an attempt at a 'ghost grenade'.

It was a juice bottle from back then that had a sloped shape. I put red Transformers 'tech specs decoder' plastic over the pour spout, and a poster-paper circle-and-slash over that. I also put a spring-loaded plunger in it as a nice greeblie. If I recall correctly, that piece was pulled from the button on the side of an Atari paddle controller, which I had turned into my first PKE Meter.

Sometimes I would put it on the side of the proton pack where the V-hook should be, cradled in a plastic drink holder that was designed to slide into the track of your windows of your car doors.

Alex

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]