This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
RobMcLaury wrote:Out of curiosity did you do anything special when soldering your shaver cord to the daughter board? I had my wires snap at the daughter board and am looking for any ideas how to reinforce it when I reattach it.
Yes, I did three things to minimize the possibility of breaking.

First, pre-solder the ends of the wire. It is important to properly heat the wire as the solder is applied so some is transferred up into and under the plastic sheath while not letting the plastic melt beyond getting a bit soft. Exposed stranded wire is very weak and the goal here is to create a small section of solid wire that extends up into the sheath. This is the most important preventative measure.

Second, hold the plastic sheath flat against the board as it is soldered and when it gets soft from the heat, push it down slightly and hold steady as the solder hardens. This will help reduce any gap between the wire and the board which will allow movement and eventual failure.

Third, and only if you are confident in your superglue skills, place a small amount on a toothpick, gently pull up one edge of the plastic sheath and glue to the board. You don't need much and you don't need to glue all the way around, just enough in one place to keep the plastic sheath attached.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it works out.
alphabeta001 liked this
GohstTarp wrote:Beautiful work, bishopdonmiguel! Can you tell us a little bit about your making of the 'Sanyo E172CG' part? My kit did seem to come with that part, but I might be mistaken. Thanks!
Thank you Sir! I enjoyed every moment of building this kit... except perhaps removing & reinstalling that nixie!

My kit had a white rectangle with tapered edges included. There were some dimples on one side that aligned with the circuit board so I deduced this was the Sanyo part. This was made of EXTREMELY tough stuff. At first, I tried to heat some spare metal wires and melt them into the part. Fail! Even when the metal was red hot, the stuff didn't budge. In the end, I resorted to using the smallest Dremel bit I had and supergluing the metal wires in. The stuff was tricky to drill through but maybe the bit was dull.

After the glue dried, I dipped the part in some black Plasticoat I had leftover from my MT500 Antenna Conversion. I let that dry for a full day, then applied the rub on transfer and gave it a coat of clear matte. I used the leftover heat shrink to cover the wires.
GohstTarp liked this
Smeghead wrote:That's some seriously good work. If only you could find the right IC chips, you'd pretty much have a working calculator!
Thanks! Now that's an idea!
Spongeface wrote:Awesome job and great additional info!
Thanks Doug! I am gonna find some of that golf pin stripe and borrow your improvement. Looks great!
By GohstTarp
bishopdonmiguel wrote:My kit had a white rectangle with tapered edges included. There were some dimples on one side that aligned with the circuit board so I deduced this was the Sanyo part. This was made of EXTREMELY tough stuff. At first, I tried to heat some spare metal wires and melt them into the part. Fail! Even when the metal was red hot, the stuff didn't budge. In the end, I resorted to using the smallest Dremel bit I had and supergluing the metal wires in. The stuff was tricky to drill through but maybe the bit was dull.

After the glue dried, I dipped the part in some black Plasticoat I had leftover from my MT500 Antenna Conversion. I let that dry for a full day, then applied the rub on transfer and gave it a coat of clear matte. I used the leftover heat shrink to cover the wires.
Awesome! I noticed the piece in the kit and thought it might be the Sanyo part, and now I know. I'm gonna try drilling holes for the wires with a SHARP bit :) Thanks for the info!
By Venzodd
Amazing. I can’t wait to get started on my kit. I’ve had it for a couple months, but I’ve been busy. I’m gonna make time to work on this. Thanks for all the help here.

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]