This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By 910dohead
Since it's been a while I figure I will post a small update on the progress.

Right now we're working on the door and figuring out the proper dimensions for the pieces that affix to it. Specifically the giant piano hinge that holds the door on. Our intentions is to have the door and everything else made out of aluminum. In order for that to happen we need to make sure our measurements are right. We took a trip to the big box hardware store to pick up some supplies for a mock hinge.

We cut the outer pieces of the hinge to the size we felt comfortable with and added a fake weld to them.

After letting the crap we used to cure for 72 hours, we cut a dowel rod to size and sanded it enough to fit into the hinge pieces.

Then we cut out some pieces of aluminum and used an epoxy putty to attach them to the inner hinge pieces.

It worked perfectly and now we have our measurements. Time to have this made out of aluminum.

The flat aluminum pieces will not being attached to the unit as its shown in the picture. They are going inside of the door and mounted flat behind the trap housing. They will be countersunk as well. Also like I stated before, this is only a temporary mockup and don't recommend doing this for a permanent hinge. I doubt this method will hold up any weight from the door. Refrain from going this route if you're referencing this thread to make your own ECU.

Next, we will be working on the handle frame. We figured out that it's simply a wooden frame with a jack plate over it. One of these:

That will be covered in our next update but not sure when that will be. We've been sort of occupied with our Ecto build and saving up for a trip in June. We are winding down on the part collecting and the car is ready to be purchased. However, we aren't going to jump the gun on getting the car until after those last parts are in hand. All we need now are the four Dietz 9-51 lights and the Federal siren. After that its off to the dealership to buy a Flex!

One last thing, the 3D file for the red knob is getting re-designed. It's looking pretty!

That's all I have for you guys now. Until next time...
barison82 liked this
By ectotwinkie
This made me dance in circles... think I've ID'd a shared/reused label - Ecto1a & Containment Unit

The 'label not a handle' label

Made this to show it...

Hope it helps.

[I'll be recreating these labels when all ID'd]

Your build continues to be great.
910dohead, barison82 liked this
By 910dohead
ectotwinkie wrote:This made me dance in circles... think I've ID'd a shared/reused label - Ecto1a & Containment Unit

The 'label not a handle' label

Made this to show it...

Hope it helps.

[I'll be recreating these labels when all ID'd]

Your build continues to be great.

You. sir. are. awesome.

Just take them all!

ectotwinkie, barison82 liked this
By 910dohead
ectotwinkie wrote:and this one...

It's so rad that you're finding these on other props. What I want to know is do these labels belong to these parts or are they just slapped on them? Have you done further research on them and have better images of them? I am really curious as to what they say and their dimensions.

*EDIT* - Well, looking more at the reference pictures it appears the handle label is slapped on. It's covering up the TRIO-TECH logo on that part.

Also, the same sticker appears on the 1A on other parts:

The green suitcase box and the giant white drum just above the tubing.
ectotwinkie liked this
By ectotwinkie
910dohead wrote:
ectotwinkie wrote:and this one...

It's so rad that you're finding these on other props. What I want to know is do these labels belong to these parts or are they just slapped on them? Have you done further research on them and have better images of them? I am really curious as to what they say and their dimensions.

*EDIT* - Well, looking more at the reference pictures it appears the handle label is slapped on. It's covering up the TRIO-TECH logo on that part.
I guess one bit blows up and parts of it are used on a new bit.
Does create a uniformity and consistency in the visual language, which is always nice.

I found these minutes before I posted them.
But I've been working on containment plans and gathering the parts for about a year.
These were found out of utter desperation :):)

Next step is better images to find out what they are/where from.
Then find original part images or ideally get real world parts.
See if they have been cropped or chopped.
Then measure and recreate.
Stick back into the plans to further refine dimensions.

Anyone with higher res images of the Ecto 1A interior please help!
By 910dohead
Here's another one that I have been hanging on to. It's a pre-restoration Ecto-1 label.

It was painted over (yes, I said that right) during the earliest restoration. Not the one Star Cars did. It is one of two labels on the bracket of the blue sewage tubing.
ectotwinkie liked this
By ectotwinkie
910dohead wrote:Here's another one that I have been hanging on to. It's a pre-restoration Ecto-1 label.

It was painted over (yes, I said that right) during the earliest restoration. Not the one Star Cars did. It is one of two labels on the bracket of the blue sewage tubing.

Now that is v.cool.
910dohead liked this
By ectotwinkie
That looks mighty fine.

Generations to come will speak of this image.

Have a drink. You've earned it!

Gonna check over everything again for the door flap label...
Its one big word CAUTION/WARNING/DANGER
Then maybe a line of three small words
Then a line of four midsized words
Then a line of four midsized words
Then a line of two midsized words
Black on white with a black line surround.

And this...

I've always liked chibigear's (+ CapnCyan & Mereel's) version of the under meter label...
910dohead liked this
By 910dohead
Kingpin wrote:Holy crap! How'd you narrow it down?
It's really a discovery shared by ectotwinkie, o0Ecto1A0o and myself. I've been looking at everything from airplane breaks, helicopter doors, emergency exits on small planes, fishing poles, hose reels, industrial panel boxes, steel cabinetry, etc.

It's not on any of those things.

I had a hunch and decided to follow it and it's really all just sheer dumb luck on my part. Once I found the right manufacturer, o0Ecto1A0o found a catalog with the handle in it. I shared this info with ectotwinkie and he turned up the handle with the jack dish plate. It's an awesome feeling to stare at a picture of the item you've spent over a year searching for.

So far every part on the containment unit is found except that brass bracket inside the door underneath the heatsinks. I'm looking for that next and I have really no idea where to start.

Maybe this will turn up something?

*EDIT* - Here is something cool to look at.

DROOL.
ectotwinkie, Kingpin, o0Ecto1A0o and 1 others liked this
By 910dohead
Ejgunth87 wrote:Could you share the link to where you found the handle for the trap door?
I will reveal every part soon including the handle. We don't have all of these parts in hand just yet. They are all vintage with stock proving to be very difficult to locate. Unfortunately, a reveal will not happen until we have the right parts in hand.

This is where we are currently at in our build. We are almost ready for paint. The parts will go on after and that's when we plan on sharing the parts information. It will happen real soon.
By ectotwinkie
910dohead wrote:I was doing research on the unknown labels and discovered that the long black label that's all over Ecto-1A is by Burroughs!

It's going to be on a calculator or similar product. Now, it's a matter of finding a match.

Yes!
Everybody dance now...

o0Ecto1A0o liked this
By ectotwinkie
This is the Burroughs B90 hard disk drive ID plate...

- Image used with the kind permission of Chris at the 'Burroughs Corporation and Burroughs Machines' Site
- http://www.picklesnet.com/burroughs/des ... roughs.htm

It seems to have more text (address) on the left and missing a line of text under the 'Burroughs' but proportions good.
The last picture I posted from the build was sort of a teaser as to where we were currently at. Let me take a small step back and show you what we did leading up to that. First, we started on the mock door foundation.

Then we built the trap housing to about where we felt it needed to be.

Then we played around with the scale. The heatsinks certainly helped in determining the height and depth.

Here is us playing around with a matty trap and a quick mock up trap.

We decided the height was a little higher than we needed it, so we shaved a little off the top.

Meanwhile, I was busy designing the labels. Here are some mock ups which are not perfectly to scale yet. Basically the ones we know the size are correct while the others are estimated. I laid them out where they need to go to figure out where to iron out the kinks.

Here is a nice shot of the unit.

This is it! This is definitely it!

Well, that time has now come. We have the handle in hand so here is the big reveal.

The handle comes from the Eberhard Manufacturing Company (who owns the patent) as part of the 5560 series. The original model was #15-5560 which came with a jack dish, a small rubber vibration isolator pad and was zinc plated. As you can see our handle came dipped in grey plastisol which the original was not. At some point, Eberhard discontinued #15-5560 either sometime in the 70's or 80's. It was revised in the 90's where the jack dish was left off and the handle was dipped in plastisol. This was #2-5560, which they still offer to manufacture but with slight variation. The handle and the keeper are now separate pieces. The keeper is model #15924. The handle is also dipped in black plastisol.

We contacted Eberhard about #15-5560 and they have no record of when it was last manufactured. Also, they are strictly a manufacturer and not a distributor. They don't sell directly to the public. So, how did we track one down? Eberhard actually helped us with that. Thankfully we got someone over there who was a fan of Ghostbusters and went out of their way to help us track one down. They got us in contact with a supplier that had old stock of #2-5560. I will be glad to share that distributor information with anyone via pm. You can try contacting Eberhard directly, but honestly I feel like we got lucky.

There you go. The secret is out. :cool:

Now that we have the handle we needed to ditch the plastisol. We removed it with a heat gun, exacto knife and light sanding.

Here it is in all it's glory!

Now a shot of it on our unit.

Until next time...
Holy shit on a shingle.
910dohead liked this
Not404Error wrote:Holy shit on a shingle.
Haha! I can't imagine anyone wanting to defecate on a shingle. Let alone one who is divine.

Well, here's another small update but this one is another part reveal.

This is what is known as a vacuum relay and they are primarily used in ham radios. These bad boys screw into a nut that is tapped into the heatsinks on the side of the trap housing.

At first glance I thought these were too small, but then I put them next to the heatsink and they were perfect! A few companies make these and we went with a company called Jennings. I don't know for sure what company made the ones on the ECU, but Jennings appear to be the closest.

That's all for now! Just awaiting a few more parts.
By 910dohead
I've been meaning to post this small update for sometime. I've just started working full time again so I haven't had the chance to post until now. Plus, the other project we are working on took a huge leap forward, but more on that after we get back from Wondercon.

With the sides of the trap housing we are obviously looking to replicate this:

We set out to find all of the little greeblies associated with the heatsinks. We bought the two recovery diodes a while back. They are the little pieces in between the vacuum relays. We just recently found the bolts that the relays will fit into on the heatsink. They came off of certain conduit connectors. The bottoms of the vacuum relays unscrew and sit perfectly flush with the heatsink which will make them easier to connect without doing some monstrous tapping.

All we really need at this point are to find the right ring terminals that the orange tubing fits into. We believe that they are 6 gauge.

We didn't buy these yet because Home Depot wanted a fortune for 2 and they are way cheaper online. We are going to need about 10 of them. Plus, I need to put in an order for the orange tubing. I'm going to go out on a limb and just go with Clippard. They have a 5/32" orange tubing as part #URT1-0503-ORS-050. It's basically the same size as what is used on the proton packs. I've also got my eye on a set of dry rub transfers to replicate the CR4 / CR5 on the heatsink. Probably add CR3 to the other side?

Since the other side of the trap housing is never seen and its setting is obviously different from the opposite side, we are going to be taking liberties with it. We figured going with this setup:

Who knows what the other side looks like? It might not even have any of these parts on it. Sadly, a detail lost to time.
Sorry it's been a while. We've been all super busy with either work or personal matters. Not only that but our entire team is going on a trip in 2 weeks to visit Oregon for the Goonies 30th Anniversary. We're not doing anything team related while we're up there. We are all just huge fans of the movie. Anyways, upon our return we will have a booth at the L.A. Cosplay Con on June 13th. After that you can find some of us at SDCC and all of us at the Mass Hysteria party. We look forward to seeing everyone there.

Not a whole lot has happened with this project in the last few months, but I do have a few small updates to include. First, we finally got our hands on the elusive 3/4" red Dakaware knobs. Behold!

Finally! The little detail was driving us nuts. It doesn't make a huge difference but you can really notice it when comparing to the other sizes. (L2R: 1/2", 3/4" & 1")

One of these lucky knobs will find a permanent home on the instrument panel.

We also tried getting our hands on the spring mechanisms for the door, but the company that had them told us they were discontinued and no longer had stock. Damnit! We have a few other suppliers to get them from but that's going to have to wait until after our trip.

We also have been busy with something else. For the last two years we've been collecting parts to build an Ectomobile using a Ford Flex. Here's a small update on that.

Here are most of our parts laid out.

Oooh, sexy! However, this will make it sexier..."Everybody can relax, I found the car."

We have high hopes that the car will be done by October of this year. The containment unit done by 2029+...
o0Ecto1A0o, barison82 liked this
Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]