This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Amazing detail as always!

Hey Alex, have you ever heard of a book called "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline? It's a novel written by a self-proclaimed 80s junkie and it's jam packed with movie/game references. In fact, he even quotes Ghostbusters on the very first page and owns the http://www.ecto88.com domain with his BTTF/GB projects and such.

Anyway, one of the amazing things in the book is the idea of being inside a video game world where the object is to accurately re-live an 80s movie from start to finish. In the book he gets transported into War Games, seeing everything as it was, getting big points for being as accurate as possible to the script and such. The reason I bring this up is because seeing your projects makes me wish I could do the same for Ghostbusters. Hell, your house is practically half way there with all your great projects. So keep up the great work and know that if I ever win the lottery, I'm commissioning you to build me a Firehouse :D
Alex Newborn, msr322 liked this
I have not heard of that book, but it sounds interesting. I have been trying to think of a fan-film storyline that could make use of all these items, maybe I will look into the 'transported into the movie' idea.

Realized I never took a pic of the other desk plate out of its plastic sleeve.

Alex
Morydees, I did read that and I enjoyed it. I may have to track down the book someday.
busybuildr wrote:The film cover was only added to conceal the mechanism used to wiggle the striker back and forth. The bell was not actually working. The bell sound was dubbed in later.
I've seen this claim a couple of places, but it looks fully functional to me. Especially in the montage, when the bell is seen a bit closer, the actual gong of the bell visibly moves from the impact of the striker.

Due to the sheer speed of the bell, it's really hard to film the striker and see the motion. This old videocamera I used the day I tested mine shot approx. 30fps, and it's hard to find a frame of the striker in contact with the gong. It too just appears to 'wiggle'.

The movie cameras were shooting 24fps (most likely) so they were even slower.

While that may not be the live sound effect they produced (very few on-set sounds end up in a completed movie), I believe the bell was ringing just as it was built to do when the cameras rolled.

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote:Morydees, I did read that and I enjoyed it. I may have to track down the book someday.
I'd also recommend the book. I absolutely loved it.

On topic, keep up the good work. You've clearly put a lot of effort into tracking down all the details in your various projects, and it really inspires me to try to get some of the little tertiary items/props for my own use.
Alex Newborn liked this
Hey folks, I just got in from seeing Ghostbusters back on the big screen, and I was delighted to spot something I had never seen before.

Sorry if this was common knowledge for everyone else, but I personally had never known exactly WHERE in the firehouse the alarm bell was located.

I pictured it being either upstairs near where they bunk, or on the garage level but much closer to Janine's desk.

So, here's my question... does this shot, which shows the bell in relation to other objects, help us to gauge the correct size any better?

For instance, has anyone ever been inside the LA23 firehouse and taken measurements of the bricks on the wall? The bell appears to be the same height as six rows of bricks if we extend the lines.

Surely there's some way of determining this thing's correct size when seen in relationship with all these other items.

Alex
He signed the INSIDE of the battery cover, so it's not visible unless I open it and show it to people. I also had him sign the Life magazine photo.

Yeah, I am always thinking that my props will eventually wind up in a fan-film, so I tend not to have them signed.

I had Robin Shelby sign the Cinefex article for GB2, had Dan sign my one-sheet (and the obligatory bottle of vodka), and had Annie sign a ticket stub from Pippin.

I was originally gonna have her sign a blank piece of paper from my notebook full of movie-location reference pics, but when the theatre let out, someone dropped their ticket on the sidewalk and my buddy Adam spotted it. (He's also the one who snapped the photo of me and Annie.)

I have since bought a signed playbill from Pippin off eBay, after I learned she was no longer with the show.

Alex
This one is actually combined from parts of two phones. The first one had a correct handset/shell but a clear cradle. The second had the metal cradle but a too-dark shell, and a handset with incorrect details. Even after combining their parts, the faceplate was still the wrong color so I spray-painted it.

Search for '1a2' phones. Both of these were by ITT, which funnily enough was headquartered in my mother's hometown about an hour from here. One of them had a sticker on the bottom that said 'Made in Corinth Mississippi with Pride'.

Or you can search for '20 line' or '20 button' phones.

The eBay seller for both of these is named 'abaurisegal'. He had three that were very similar to the second one, with the metal cradle, but only one of them sold. He will probably relist the other two.

Alex
Dr. Raymond Stantz wrote:Great video Alex. It will help me for my future phone.
Glad to hear it, because YOU were the person I had in mind when I was editing it.

I had originally thought the footage was uninteresting and unusable.

The day I shot 'opening the package of the second phone', I was very tired from doing yardwork, and my energy was WAY down. So you'll notice I only used two quick shots of it at the beginning that show it with that clip attached on the back and the underside.

The rest of it is made from behind the scenes shots of me swapping out the phone parts. These weren't originally intended to be publicly shown; they were more or less just a record for myself, in case I needed to review a shot to see how to reassemble anything.

But it seemed like there might be helpful information in there for other folks who might attempt such a crazy project, so I was able to edit it down into something coherent.

In hindsight, I wish I had edited in a segment from a previous video, when I opened the first 20-line phone. Here's that video, which probably would make the Phone Kludge video make a lot more sense.

Skip to about 1:15 for phone-related segments.

https://youtu.be/N4268LbQtX8

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on April 8th, 2019, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nice build - love the bell and button :)
Alex Newborn liked this
[youtube]https://youtu.be/kELECtxcmaM[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/kELECtxcmaM

Shot this last year and shared it several places, but just realized it's pretty much the perfect payoff for this particular thread, especially since so many of my old picture links aren't working.

Wish we could edit old posts. I'd fix them. They're all still online in my Facebook albums, the links just don't work over time.

Alex
Grimmy GB liked this
Hmm... it's always a decision at this juncture... Shall I necro-post an old thread of my own, full of dead photo links, or do I start a brand-new post and get tsked-at for creating redundant threads?

I think I'll do the former.

I still need to make the bell of mine look better, so when I stumbled upon this video on YouTube, I was intrigued.

Anyone who's planning to restore a Faraday bell might want to give this a watch first.

[Youtube]https://youtu.be/p8Lm0vLnuMo[/Youtube]

https://youtu.be/p8Lm0vLnuMo

Alex

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]