By Alphagaia
I have seen the haters rile each other up with half truths and conjecture derived from the leaks. When I just came here a lot of recurring negative conjecture was thrown around which was far from the truth when I asked for links.

We know Sony was hacked to be stabbed where it hurt the most. The hack really did a big number on them, and also caused the more conservative GB fans to be biased before even a picture was released.

Who says the group who hacked Sony stopped there and then to hurt Sony and their future releases even more?
Razorgeist liked this
By Kingpin
goldenhawk wrote:An interesting read on how the general public may view Feig's Project:
http://careymartell.com/2016/03/faceboo ... ign=buffer
I didn't get the impression Martell was being very objective when he wrote the article, he'd already started it with the view he didn't feel the film should be made, and there were some early bits that came off as quite condescending for those who might not be experts in the field of marketing.

And there's also the fact he plugs his own Ghostbusters 3 proposal twice in the same article.

And it seems to gloss over some of the specifics regarding the two tweets he's picked from Paul Feig's account, both were responses to a notorious troll who was a former member of this community (who has posted in the comments section of that article, and gotten thanks from Martell himself), the posts sent to Feig and his cast weren't taken out of context, they were loaded with abuse and vile remarks.
Alphagaia liked this
By Kingpin
DarkSpectre wrote:Numbers are numbers, Ben. Whether or not he was biased he presented factual evidence to build a case, a rather compelling one I might add
My concern is that because he's A) very clearly against the reboot and B) not associated with a reputable publication, that we only have his assurance that the numbers he's presented and calculated are accurate. I'll admit I haven't got the first clue about the system he's been using, so it might not be possible to skew the data in favour of the outcome he wants to present, but as I have no experience with it, there might be ways to cheat it that I'm not aware of.
I'm sure it has been mentioned on this forum before, but it's worth noting that Sony Pictures, under the direction of Amy Pascal whom greenlit this terrible concept of a Ghostbusters reboot, was revealed by the e-mail leaks to have been paying actresses less money than their male counterparts. How progressively hypocritical is that?

Gender Pay Gap

After Pascal left Sony, she was interviewed about Sony Entertainment's gender pay gap that had been exposed by the leaks. Tina Brown asked Pascal to explain why actresses did not realize they were being paid less than male actors. Pascal said, "People want to work for less money. I'll pay them less money. I don't call them up and go, 'Can I give you some more?' ... what women have to do is not work for less money.... People should know what they're worth and say no."[74]

Women making less than their male counterparts and male co-stars learned of the difference from the hack, such as actress Charlize Theron, who had been able to obtain an additional $10 million in early January 2015 to match the fee of Chris Hemsworth, her male co-star in The Huntsman film production.[75] Gender pay discrimination was pervasive at Sony Pictures under Pascal, with only one female out of the seventeen studio executives earning more than $1 million per year according to the unconfirmed emails, and Columbia Pictures co-presidents of production Michael De Luca and Hannah Minghella serving in identical jobs but with a million dollar difference in pay.
goldenhawk liked this
Kingpin wrote:
DarkSpectre wrote:Numbers are numbers, Ben. Whether or not he was biased he presented factual evidence to build a case, a rather compelling one I might add
My concern is that because he's A) very clearly against the reboot and B) not associated with a reputable publication, that we only have his assurance that the numbers he's presented and calculated are accurate. I'll admit I haven't got the first clue about the system he's been using, so it might not be possible to skew the data in favour of the outcome he wants to present, but as I have no experience with it, there might be ways to cheat it that I'm not aware of.
He ignores some very blatant things as well to force his point.

One of the most important things you have to realize is for Power Editor to work, people have to have pressed the like button to follow a movie for Power Editor to pick up. For Power Editor to process that like, they must have their profiles NOT set to private. Also, people who don't like movies on Facebook for any reason whatsoever (I don't have all my loved movies liked on FB for instance) are not counted as well.

So, his numbers are flawed to begin with, but it gets worse:
2M to 2.2M of Ghostbusters fans have been turned off by the very premise of this reboot. Half the potential audience is just thrown away at the start with a film that is specifically designed to alienate them by entrapping itself in a radical feminist message (we’ll explore why this is true later).

Let’s focus on the remaining women and why they probably won’t show up to the box office, either.
He throws away all the male GB fans as they should not be interested in a female GB movie. That's an assumption that's just plain wrong.
It's safe to assume most of these female Ghostbuster fans are in a relationship with a man — one who is likely a Ghostbuster fan himself and feels alienated by this reboot and its divisive message.

Do you really think they’ll go to the box office without their significant other?
He thinks married people only go to the movies with their husband, which if a GB fan, should hate the movie because they are a man.

He also just forgets to mention a whole new target audience: teens and kids. Probably because they don't have Facebook, but remember how old all those GB fans were that he mentions at the start during the release of GB1 or Gb2? Right, those were all kids that became fans for life.

The tweets from Feig are taken out of context and I won't even start about the GB16 is a radical-feminist only movie. It's just very dumb.
Are the Sony offices nice, Alpha? I mean do they treat you well? I mean how does one get a job there? So obviously you ignore the statistics because those are actual numbers you can't "debunk". This is why I rarely come here anymore.
Last edited by DarkSpectre on March 24th, 2016, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldenhawk liked this
DarkSpectre wrote:Are the Sony offices nice, Alpha? I mean do they treat you well? I mean how does one get a job there? So obviously you ignore the statistics because those are actual numbers you can't "debunk"
I just did?
DarkSpectre wrote:Missed you buddy and your unending enthusiasm for Feig's slapstick fest
There is no need for that tone. Instead of being dismissive, could you point to the errors I made in my assessment?

I just explained why the numbers are questionable and how he simply dismisses all the male GB fans, and married female fans as not interested. I don't know the sex of all the people here, but there are quite a few males interested in the movie on this forum alone.

His theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, his methods are sloppy, and his conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor marketeer, Mr. Martel!
By Kingpin
DarkSpectre wrote:Are the Sony offices nice, Alpha? I mean do they treat you well?
We are better than this. Let's end this ridiculous notion that we have members who've been bought off by Sony in our ranks.
So obviously you ignore the statistics because those are actual numbers you can't "debunk". This is why I rarely come here anymore.
While it is my hope that most statics we encounter on a daily basis are accurate, and for all I know, Martell's statics may be up to snuff, but the problem is there've been too many instances of junk statistics being peddled by people with particular agendas, which've gone on to do some pretty significant damage - and to be exposed as junk after the damage has been done.

I'd be more able to view them as uncompromised if they'd been reported by Empire, or Total Film.
Alphagaia, Razorgeist liked this
DarkSpectre wrote:Are the Sony offices nice, Alpha? I mean do they treat you well? I mean how does one get a job there? So obviously you ignore the statistics because those are actual numbers you can't "debunk". This is why I rarely come here anymore.
Well, looking back on some of Alpha's posts, he has made some good valid points for the pro reboot side. Alpha does seem to have a lot of knowledge and information at his fingertips. (For that, he must be commended.). But some of these cannot have been made without insider information gotten by working for a marketing company or Sony themselves. And now all of the sudden, he knows how Power Editor works.
Alphagaia liked this
Well, anyone can use Power Editor if they have ever made a Facebookpage for a company and wanted to make an advertisement. You can try it out yourself!
Also, my girlfriend is a Marketeer, and I have my own little company, so there ya go. But believe what you want to believe, of course!

Edit: Thx for the praise however. :-)

But I am curious now: what information could I only have known if I was working for Sony?
Alphagaia wrote:Well, anyone can use Power Editor if they have ever made a Facebookpage for a company and wanted to make an advertisement. You can try it out yourself!
Also, my girlfriend is a Marketeer, and I have my own little company, so there ya go. But believe what you want to believe, of course!

Edit: Thx for the praise however. :-)

But I am curious now: what information could I only have known if I was working for Sony?
Your descriptions on how some of the ghost were filmed, the details of your response, the speed of which you can rebut some issues, etc. If you work for Sony or there of, just say so. Nobody here will hold you against it. In fact, some of the doubters may begin to respect Sony again.

But that is it for me for a while. Off I go into the wild blue yonder. See you all around.
By Kingpin
goldenhawk wrote:Your descriptions on how some of the ghost were filmed
Descriptions of both Slimer, and the ghost at the mansion had filtered down through the online articles (I've seen references to how both were filmed myself).
goldenhawk wrote:the speed of which you can rebut some issues, etc.
I daren't cast aspersions on Alpha's personal life, but he might just have a lot of free time. :)
Sorry, but I'm really not working for Sony. Though I wish I was so I could send them a bill!

I work at home and am my own boss, so that should explain why I'm quick to respond to the bookmarked threads. And yeah, I am passionate about GB. :-)

Those descriptions on the ghosts I got from an interview Kingpin posted on the day the trailer was released. I read most of the links provided, as most of you know by now I like to check them and use links for my own arguments. I still really like the one from Screenrant, even though it has some good point against the trailer, but this latest link about Power Editor, is just very, very biased and degrading.
Hah...these arguments are nothing compared to the Batman v Superman debates going on right now in the various forums and comment sections. It's like 2016 is the year for a post-apocalyptic nerd war. (and I can say "nerd" because I am one)
Alphagaia liked this
By Sp9543
When should we expect the second trailer? May? How will the polarizing response to the first, impact the editing/presentation of the second? I want the GB market push to begin in earnest. I need my GB Twinkies, Ecto-Cooler, and (still crossing my fingers that it will happen) GB Cereal.
By Kingpin
It could be May, it could be April, it depends on how many trailers they want to put out, some films have gone as high as five between the teaser and the final release, but some have had fewer. Unfortunately, the only people who have a concrete idea are the ones working at Sony.

They might try emphasize some of the less over the top humour... I'm willing to bet trailer #2 might feature more of a storytelling approach.
By Alphagaia
Kingpin wrote:It could be May, it could be April, it depends on how many trailers they want to put out, some films have gone as high as five between the teaser and the final release, but some have had fewer. Unfortunately, the only people who have a concrete idea are the ones working at Sony.
We are planning the next one to be focussing on Rowan. To be released somewhere around the end of this month.
This Post Contains Spoilers
I hope its a more subtle storyline approach in the next trailer. I have to be interested in the story and have at least one character I can relate to for the movie to be worth my time and effort (this is true for me in anything though). The first trailers went for the big visuals, which is all some people need to decide, and that's fine, but I need some substance beyond visuals
By timeware
SpaceBallz wrote:Hah...these arguments are nothing compared to the Batman v Superman debates going on right now in the various forums and comment sections. It's like 2016 is the year for a post-apocalyptic nerd war. (and I can say "nerd" because I am one)
Just wait until Netflix releases the new Voltron. I can already see the Power Ranger and Voltron nerds pointing fingers at eachother shouting "you ripped us off!" I'm actually counting down the days for the new Voltron series. Especially with Peter Cullen being brought back for it.
SpaceBallz, Razorgeist liked this
I just don't understand why there are those people out there who absolutely hate this movie before seeing it just by watching this trailer.

Im a ghosthead and I laughed and loved the trailer when I first saw it. I would have liked to have seen better actresses playing these parts if they were going to be women, but I feel like the majority of these women will do alright.
Travis Burrell wrote:I just don't understand why there are those people out there who absolutely hate this movie before seeing it just by watching this trailer.

Im a ghosthead and I laughed and loved the trailer when I first saw it. I would have liked to have seen better actresses playing these parts if they were going to be women, but I feel like the majority of these women will do alright.
I'm all for GB16, but I can fully understand not liking the chosen actrices, the fact it's a reboot or the humor shown in the trailer. With such a big fan base, you are bound to step on some toes.

Now for me, I see no problem apart from the shown humor, bit I believe it will be more varied in the actual movie, just like GB itself.
Travis Burrell wrote:I just don't understand why there are those people out there who absolutely hate this movie before seeing it just by watching this trailer.

Travis, a lot of veteran ghostheads who've been keeping the hobby alive so to speak before the recent influx tend to view it as a slap in the face to completely ignore 30 years worth of canon. A lot of people in the hobby worked hard to identify and locate or build equipment and gear pieces and continue to suit up and keep GB relevant only to be told by Sony that what they've been working for doesn't exist in their new universe (unless they tap the multiverse angle). So that's where folks like myself find issue. Also personally I don't care for Feig, McCarthy or Jones.
By Alphagaia
As Dark Spectre explained, you could view it as a slap in the face beforehand, but I like to think even if the movie does not reference their dimension as just one reality in a multiverse, the fans can always treat it like one, if that's helps remove the sting in a reboot.
yeah I can understand that. I felt it was a slap in the face with the ridiculous looking ecto1. making fun of what I personally felt was the best part of the original. We all have our preferences. Ive also seen so many made up props in this forum though. Props that were never used and were made up by some individual. Really there are people who welcome change and those who find it hard to take in. I must be the forgiving and accepting type. lol.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]