Razorgeist wrote:
Are you arguing that Paul Feig doesn't legitimately believe that women are funnier than men?
To put it bluntly no.
Because he's stated this on multiple occasions.
Sources please and even if he believes this that dosent make him a misandrist.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/horror/pa ... nd-a112917

"A lot of people accused it of being a gimmick. I guess I can see the cynics' view of it, but for me I just love working with funny women. People said, 'Why don't you do a mix?' I'm just more interested in the idea of lady Ghostbusters. It's the way my brain works."

Not exactly what you were looking for, but it's pretty damn close.
By gold333
Grit.

The trailer is missing the "grit", the mundane in GB that made the extraordinary so funny.

It's a shame it now looks like a CGI movie for young children.
By Spangs
gold333 wrote:Grit.

The trailer is missing the "grit", the mundane in GB that made the extraordinary so funny.

I think it lacks class. It fails to treat the property with respect. They are going to make some money back just from merchandising and name recognition alone. If they were smart, they would schedule some reshoots and rework the movie so it does not turn out like the trailers. Granted the trailers are not the entire film, but they give you a sense of what is to come. I am not one of those people who are just content with seeing another film with Ghostbusters nostalgia; I feel like the fans that defend this movie just for the sake of, are possibly afraid that if this film fails then we won't see more in the cinema.

It's kind of like a wife who gets beat and just takes it because she has in her mind that she doesn't deserve better.... Maybe that is a little harsh... but they think that we are not getting the film that the fans need, but the film that we deserve...
gold333 liked this
Spangs wrote:
gold333 wrote:Grit.

It's kind of like a wife who gets beat and just takes it because she has in her mind that she doesn't deserve better.... Maybe that is a little harsh... but they think that we are not getting the film that the fans need, but the film that we deserve...
A litle harsh? How about just downright demeaning and belittling. You have the feeling of being hit in the gut, not me. Though your reasoning is getting there. I get you want to lash out because of that, but allow us to have our own opinion instead of making us out to look like scared puppies who lap up every scrap we get. I actually like what I have seen so far. Is it perfect? No, but it's also very far from a slap in the face (pun intended).

I love the franchise and I love to see a new take of it. The fact its 4 women is no problem for me. Some people dislike it for it, see it as gimmicky or want a mixed group. I really don't care: that's not what makes it a GB flick. It should be how the group interacts.

For me it's, the packs, the ghosts, the busting, the banter, the business aspects, and the humour. Now the trailer made me laugh, but not as much as I wanted. I get humour is hard to convey in such a short time so I'll give it a pass on that. All the rest looks pretty awesome to me, and especially with the special effects of today, I'm really looking forward to the busts.
By Spangs
You are completely entitled to like what you have seen, just like there are people who have liked Pixels, last years Fantastic 4, Sharknado, Lake Placid, etc.

My opinion is that they didn't do us justice and we are to accept a GB movie with a musical number in the middle of the movie. That may have worked in the movie, the mask, but in my opinion, that type of humor doesn't belong in this property.

Now you start talking to me about the state of the art effects, I bring up Jar Jar Binks, that was cutting edge! The CGI in the prequels was the best for 1999; but the story and the corny jokes from Jar Jar made TPM the least liked of that franchise. Take Darth Maul out of the movie, and it would not have paved the way for Star Wars to be what it is today with all of the CG cartoons, Sequel trilogy, and even the new parks that are being built!
gold333 liked this
Spangs wrote:You are completely entitled to like what you have seen, just like there are people who have liked Pixels, last years Fantastic 4, Sharknado, Lake Placid, etc.
This is what I mean by belittling. You jump right to the conclusion the movie will fit in 'poorly received' category.
Spangs wrote: My opinion is that they didn't do us justice and we are to accept a GB movie with a musical number in the middle of the movie. That may have worked in the movie, the mask, but in my opinion, that type of humor doesn't belong in this property.
Music plays a very big role in the GB movies. The first one was jampacked with great numbers. The problem people seem to have is they compare the scene with the Mask, which plays it out super campy and cartoonish. It can also be played scary and more likely something between funny and scary. Funny does not have to mean cartoonish or over the top. In GB1, on paper Stay puft (a big, fat white sailor made out of marshmellow) could be considered over the top, but the way they set it up makes you believe it. I'll judge it when I see it, but I'm a a fan of musicals, so maybe I don't mind as much.
Spangs wrote: Now you start talking to me about the state of the art effects, I bring up Jar Jar Binks, that was cutting edge! The CGI in the prequels was the best for 1999; but the story and the corny jokes from Jar Jar made TPM the least liked of that franchise. Take Darth Maul out of the movie, and it would not have paved the way for Star Wars to be what it is today with all of the CG cartoons, Sequel trilogy, and even the new parks that are being built!
Jar jar Bink's is a prime example of a comedy character done wrong. He is absolutely meant for kids. Some people might have liked him, I for one don't. The ghosts in this movie are a mixed bag of cgi, puppets enhanced with CGI and people in makeup enhanced with CGI, so I don't really see the comparison with a full CGI character.
Do you think Slimer will behave like him? He is a puppet enhanced with CGI.

We will have to wait and see.
By Spangs
Alphagaia wrote:This is what I mean by belittling. You jump right to the conclusion the movie will fit in 'poorly received' category.
IF the movie is a longer version of the trailer, meaning we are going to be getting 120 min of this type of GB, then yes it will be poorly received.
Spangs wrote: My opinion is that they didn't do us justice and we are to accept a GB movie with a musical number in the middle of the movie. That may have worked in the movie, the mask, but in my opinion, that type of humor doesn't belong in this property.
Alphagaia wrote:Music plays a very big role in the GB movies. The first one was jampacked with great numbers. The problem people seem to have is they compare the scene with the Mask, which plays it out super campy and cartoonish. It can also be played scary and more likely something between funny and scary. Funny does not have to mean cartoonish or over the top. In GB1, stay puft could be considered over the top, but the way they set it up makes you believe it. I'll judge it when I see it, but I'm a a fan of musicals, so maybe I don't mind as much.
Music IS a very big role in the movies, but musical numbers aren't...
To break out into a Disney type of dance in this movie would only hurt it even more.
The marshmallow man was suppose to be off the wall, and it was, but had Ivan put a musical dance number in the first movie, I don't think it would have made the same impact on the audience.

Alphagaia wrote:Jar jar Bink's is a prime example of a comedy character done wrong. He is absolutely meant for kids. Some people might have liked him, I for one don't. The ghosts in this movie are puppets and people in makeup enhanced with CGI, so I don't really see the comparison with a full CGI character.
Do you think Slimer will be like him?
I have no problem with Slimer, he did the least damage and merely seeing him in the trailer shows how they are banking on nostalgia. You stated that you liked the special effects in the film and the props. I would say that we have come so far from where we were in the 80's, so if they gave us subpar gadgets and puppets less people would like what they see.
Alphagaia wrote:We will have to wait and see.
True, but I would only be optimistic about this film had the trailer not rubbed me the wrong way. Since I was not impressed, I am not concerned with waiting to see. I'll see it when I see it...and that's unfortunate because I really like this franchise.
Spangs wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:This is what I mean by belittling. You jump right to the conclusion the movie will fit in 'poorly received' category.
IF the movie is a longer version of the trailer, meaning we are going to be getting 120 min of this type of GB, then yes it will be poorly received.
That's a quite a big IF. I already stated I liked the trailer, though the humour could be better in some instances. It's hard to get right in a trailer, so I'll give that a pass. What rubbed you wrong so much you won't want to see it in the cinema?

Spangs wrote: Music IS a very big role in the movies, but musical numbers aren't...
To break out into a Disney type of dance in this movie would only hurt it even more.
The marshmallow man was suppose to be off the wall, and it was, but had Ivan put a musical dance number in the first movie, I don't think it would have made the same impact on the audience.
My point is how you bring it. Magnolia for instance, has the whole cast bursting out in song. It's a unexpected moving, heartbreaking scene. Different vibe they are going for with this movie, but it's evidence of something that seems out of place in a movie that just works.

I strongly believe they can make it work, especially in a GBflick, where possessed people doing weird things is already established. It's also very possible to do it wrong, of course. But again, it remains to be seen.
Last edited by Alphagaia on March 20th, 2016, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Kingpin
Spangs wrote:I don't think it would have made the same impact on the audience.
It's not meant to have the same sort of impact, the dance scene (in all likelihood) being a demonstration of the big bad's power, Stay Puft being the arrival of the big bad in it's destructor form.

The appropriateness of the scene will ultimately be determined by how it's played. When I first heard about a short scene featuring a brief musical piece between Gerard Butler and Cate Blanchett in How to Train Your Dragon 2, I was very opposed to it, because they hadn't had anything like that in the first film of the trilogy.

And when the scene played out, the musical piece suited it perfectly, and is one of my favourite tracks from the film's soundtrack.

The scene might not work with it, but it also might. I also sorta feel the need to reiterate that while such a scene may've been out of place in Ghostbusters or Ghostbusters II, this film isn't going to be the same breed of animal as the 80s instalments.
Alphagaia liked this
By Spangs
You guys are defending this just about as well as Louis Tully could have done...

You can defend this directors decision to include it in the movie, but just like Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, this movie will not make it into my and most people's home bluray collection.

What rubbed me the wrong way is the parallels to the original story, the gag jokes, and the character of Patty (too over the top and stereotypical for my taste)

I would love a good movie, this looks like they went straight for nostalgia and a good story took a backseat.

They are not going to rewrite and reshoot, they are going to make the best of what they have and release it in theaters in July...garbage in/garbage out.
Egon's Pompadour liked this
Hi...

I'm a huge fan.... But was really disappointed with both the trailers...

Since I work as a professional TV editor...I've had a go at reworking it without the slapstick and more respectful to the style of the original...

There is only so much I can do with the footage.... But I hope it's a little bit better....

Please pass on if you like..

Kind regards,

Nick Norton

Sent from my iPad
Last edited by Kingpin on March 20th, 2016, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added youtube code
DaveLister liked this
HEY! Tully had the time of his life defending the busters. (Well, except in that elevator).He got the girl and saved all 4 ghostbusters with a single blast from his proton pack. Respect.
Spangs wrote: I would love a good movie, this looks like they went straight for nostalgia and a good story took a backseat..
I see nothing wrong with nostalgia. Story wise we have not seen Rowan or anything beyond a few bits of dialogue here and there plus a synopsis by a disgruntled editor and a positive fan. For me it's way to early to tell if the story took a backseat.
By gold333
Alphagaia wrote:
Spangs wrote: IF the movie is a longer version of the trailer, meaning we are going to be getting 120 min of this type of GB, then yes it will be poorly received.
What rubbed you wrong so much you won't want to see it in the cinema?
Seeing it at the cinema is the audiences ONLY way of influencing Sony and its remake/reboot strategy.

They have turned this into an unoriginal, social issues content movie with kindergarten CGI and I will not let Sony off the hook by paying them.

By not giving them money you are DIRECTLY influencing Sony's reaction on what they have done.
By not seeing it in theaters you pretty well guarantee to killing the franchise.

Like it or not, this is a jumping off point for GB as a whole. We're getting new products based on the original movie BECAUSE the new movie is coming out.

The DST Select toys, new Minimates, Vinyl statue things, all because of the new movie.

So by not helping THIS movie, we might as well put the knife in the back of the franchise ourselves.
By Spangs
JayTigran wrote:By not seeing it in theaters you pretty well guarantee to killing the franchise.

Like it or not, this is a jumping off point for GB as a whole. We're getting new products based on the original movie BECAUSE the new movie is coming out.

The DST Select toys, new Minimates, Vinyl statue things, all because of the new movie.

So by not helping THIS movie, we might as well put the knife in the back of the franchise ourselves.
That is horrible logic. I'm not going to give them anything just because I don't want to see a bad rendition of a beloved franchise. Look at Jurassic Park 3, not a well received film; but we still got Jurassic World. As long as they have this Ghost Corps operation, we can expect new things from this franchise.

By supporting the film by going to the cinema and paying your good hard earned money, you are telling SONY that you want more films like this; that they hit a homerun with this type of movie and that this is what the fans of the GB franchise want.
I don't think even the current GB fans united as a whole can make a big enough dent to deny a (Reasonable, Good, or Great) GB flick to become a succes. If the movie is liked by the new generations it will succeed on that alone.
I agree with the GBFans don't actually sway the box office as a whole.

But take a look at the Bay Turtles. The first one was HORRIBLE, but the new one is bringing in fan favorites Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang! It looks a million times better!

So, with this, if it's not as great as we all want it to be, so what? it could lead to greater things down the road
By Kingpin
Spangs wrote:That is horrible logic.
Except it's what Skanker has also been saying with regard to the Michael Bay Transformers movies (and as someone who has worked both on licensed properties, and the Ghostbusters franchise, I'm willing to believe what he says), and that there have been new toys and cartoons spun off of classic series which may not've happened were it not from those films.

Even the 2007 CGI Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie may have helped bring some of the following projects to fruition because it helped regenerate interest in the Turtles.

It's also logic we've seen happen with the comic series. If people had stopped buying the IDW monthly comic series within its first year, we wouldn't be seeing the publication of Tobin's Spirit Guide.
JayTigran liked this
By Spangs
The problem with Transformers, is that when we were all crying out for a reboot, Michael Bay made another one just so there would not be a reboot, which sucked, now we have a plethora of Transformer films that are in development and are going to be nothing but Bayformers; and just like we have FeigPacks, we are going to be stuck with this new world and have to sit through however long till we get someone who will treat the property better.

I love Ghostbusters, but I can't blindly support this new film just because of the name they stuck on the movie reel.

SONY has had their damage control hats on in overtime trying to fix the backlash that happened after the trailer was released. Deleting negative comments, having their head of marketing take an extended leave, Feig himself coming out and trolling social media.

I wish the trailer was awesome, I wish I had not seen the Power of Patty and stage diving scenes; and other low brow gag humor. You can quote, oh you wanted to quote me, oh you can quote me next time...cue music!
By gold333
GB isn't Spider-man or Transformers. I don't see why Sony would bother making another GB anything after this.

The last nostalgia centered movie that was amazing for me was Force Awakens. I wached that with my jaw on the floor from beginning to end.

Then again, think logically,... that's why J.J. Abrams gets asked to reboot/resequel Star Wars and not Paul Feig.

The difference in quality between those directors is for all to see in the material they put out.

What I would have given to see an Abrams take on Ghostbusters, in the original '84 vein, same lenses, angles, etc.
By Azurial
JayTigran wrote:
rayp_Stantz wrote: Of course you are right.
But if have one personal problem with the actors: Melissa McCarthy.
I can count all actors i dont like with one hand...shes one of them. Just talking about my personal point of view.

I really hope one of the old guys show up in the movie. Lets see...
Oh trust me, McCarthy is on my list too....

BUT, she CAN be funny when she dials it back from Bridesmaids or the Heat, and this one seems very dialed back for her...
My big issue isn't McCarthy but Wiig. Shes just just so damned awkward and constantly trying too hard to act. Everything I've seen her in is far from natural -especially in Paul and double for Bridesmaids which was (for me at least) full of forced moments and needless scenes like when the new friend and Wiigs character get into a one-up contest at the engagement party.
Spangs wrote: SONY has had their damage control hats on in overtime trying to fix the backlash that happened after the trailer was released. Deleting negative comments, having their head of marketing take an extended leave, Feig himself coming out and trolling social media.
What did Feig do on Twitter that counts as trolling?

The head of Marketing did not leave. The head of product marketing was sacked. That's one of the departments in Marketing. Not all of it. Big difference. This guy was head of product placement in the movie, makes deals with other branches to promote the movie by sticking the movie logo onto their wares and brought back Ecto Cooler. He had nothing to do with the creation of the trailer and I doubt he is being sacked because of ecto cooler.
Last edited by Alphagaia on March 22nd, 2016, 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Kingpin
Spangs wrote:I love Ghostbusters, but I can't blindly support this new film just because of the name they stuck on the movie reel.
Gotta love how it's always "blindly" supporting it if someone suggests they're interested and/or looking forward to the reboot. Some of us are going into it with an idea or two of what we'll likely be encountering. :)
Spangs wrote:having their head of marketing take an extended leave, Feig himself coming out and trolling social media.
- Still not actually proven to have been a direct result of the reboot, or it's trailer, mind you. I'll eat humble pie if and when Sony releases something stating that's why he's departing.
gold333 wrote:Then again, think logically,... that's why J.J. Abrams gets asked to reboot/resequel Star Wars and not Paul Feig.
Differences of style aside, it's no wonder Abrams was chosen as Director of The Force Awakens over Feig, Feig didn't even have the Director's role in Ghostbusters until 2014 or so, a clear year after Abrams was given the keys to the Star Wars universe - so by then Feig hadn't have handled a reboot of a franchise yet. :eyeroll:
Ok, all these DST Select Figures, and Vinyl statues and whatever else they're coming out with this year for collectors of the GB84 era is directly because of the new movie! If this movie wasn't coming out this year, we wouldn't be seeing diddly squat.

That awesome Lego firehouse? Because of the new movie.
GB Board Game? Because of the new movie.
GB Monopoly? Because of the new movie.

they are all inspired by GB84 but I guarantee if this new movie wasn't coming out, we wouldn't see half the products based on GB84 that has/is coming out this year
Azurial, Alphagaia liked this
It's not perfect...

But was a lot of work... As you have very little clean sound to work with...

So I had to recreat every proton pack sound.. De very can screech... Every scream...

But I'd love you opinions...

And if you like it forward it in...

http://youtu.be/PUuP-mgIZXI

Kind regards..

Nick Norton
SpaceBallz liked this
By Spangs
Kingpin wrote:
Spangs wrote:I love Ghostbusters, but I can't blindly support this new film just because of the name they stuck on the movie reel.
Gotta love how it's always "blindly" supporting it if someone suggests they're interested and/or looking forward to the reboot. Some of us are going into it with an idea or two of what we'll likely be encountering. :)
Ok, we'll say hopelessly optimistic ! lol
What shakes my monkey tree is that, at any point during the production of this film, they could've heeded the criticism from fans and they chose not to, instead focusing on the minority of misogynist comments and labeling all criticism as such. The gender issue thus became a red herring which distracted from the terrible concept and rumors circulating for months. Prior to the advent of the internet, Sony could have pled ignorance, but in this era they have no excuse. Now they want to act all surprised because the world has collectively shat on this trailer. All they had to do was open their ears to what fans had been saying all along.
By Kingpin
Egon's Pompadour wrote:What shakes my monkey tree is that, at any point during the production of this film, they could've heeded the criticism from fans and they chose not to
It's not really a matter of "any time", the worst of the criticism has probably come about from the trailer, and by that point in the production there's not much that can be substantially changed.
instead focusing on the minority of misogynist comments and labeling all criticism as such.
They probably focussed on the comments that were (or they interpreted as) misogynistic because those were the voices that shouted loudest (and possibly most frequently), regardless of the fact they represented a minority.
The gender issue thus became a red herring which distracted from the terrible concept and rumors circulating for months.
It would've been a red herring if there hadn't been some fans who had been genuinely misogynistic regarding the cast.
Alphagaia, Azurial liked this
Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]