The streams have been crossed and the Keymaster and the Gatekeeper have come together! Cryptozoic Entertainment, creators of board and collectible card games, is bringing the world’s most highly respected group of paranormal investigators/exterminators to the table top with Ghostbusters™: The Board Game. The Kickstarter begins today and runs through March 11. The game will begin shipping to backers across North America, the UK and all EU member countries, Australia and New Zealand in October 2015.

Ghostbusters™: The Board Game is a game for 1-4 players, ages 15 and up. Players choose one of the four Ghostbusters character figures (Peter Venkman, Egon Spengler, Winston Zeddemore and Ray Stantz) and then select from one of the game’s pre-written scenarios, beginning a game session that lasts from 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the chosen scenario(s) and degree of difficulty. Each of the Ghostbusters has unique traits and talents that can assist the entire team, with highly cooperative gameplay. As players gain experience from banishing spirits, the Ghostbusters level up, gaining new abilities that help them take on greater challenges. The team can also hop in the Ecto-1, the Ghostbusters’ converted ambulance, to help them quickly move through the city.

Developed by a talented group of board game professionals with decades of combined experience, the team is led by Matt Hyra (Lead Game Design & Acquisitions), Mataio Wilson (Associate Game Designer) and Adam Sblendorio (Creative Director) along with additional developers and support from skilled playtesters and the passionate family of Ghostbusters fans.

Ghostbusters™: The Board Game comes with plastic figures of the four Ghostbusters as well as Slimer, Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, Indulnas and numerous Galloping Ghouls, Gruesome Twosomes and Boogaloo. All figurines are based on the artwork and designs of Dan Schoening, the artist of IDW’s Ghostbusters™ comic book. The game will come with over 40 figures, with the opportunity to purchase add-ons and exclusive figures. The board itself is made of double-sided modular pieces illustrated by Robb Mommaerts, increasing the replayability for scenarios and customization.

Cryptozoic will be offering a few options for backers. The base version of Ghostbusters™: The Board Game is available for $80 and includes four Ghostbusters figures, 40 ghost figures, 10 double-sided game board map tiles, instructions and scenarios with art from Dan Schoening, various tokens, cards and dice. The exclusive $125 Deluxe Edition comes with everything from the base game, along with a limited edition foil-stamped box, a 12”x12” giclée print, glow-in-the-dark dice, four additional game board tiles, an exclusive boss ghost figure and an over-sized “Impossible Mode” Stay Puft Marshmallow Man figure. Additional pledge levels add exclusive ghosts, new figures and much more to expand the game further.

The Ghostbusters™: The Board Game Kickstarter follows Cryptozoic’s first wildly successful crowdfunding campaign for HEX: Shards of Fate, the MMO Trading Card Game which raised over $2 million from backers eager to take part in the digital trading card / Massively Multiplayer Online game. To learn more about Ghostbusters™: The Board Game visit the Kickstarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cz ... board-game

The game will also be available in the Ghostbusters Fans Shop later this Fall!

Update: The project has been successfully funded, and lots of Kickstarter exclusives have been added. Make sure you checkout the project for the latest updates.
Went for the Mass Hysteria Pledge. Looking forward to this!!!!
Oh wow...that looks intriguing.

I wonder if, assuming the Kickstarter reaches it's goal, Cryptozoic will preview the game during GenCon.

If they do, you can be sure that some combination of Borzou, Vincent Belmont, and myself will let you know what we see.

EDIT: Almost 3/4 of the pledge goal already. That's a good sign.
I dont think Im gonna pledge (thats alot of money :( ) but I hope it does get produced so everyone who wants it can get it, its a cool idea, just out of my price range. but judging by how much has been contributed already, I'd say its a definite thing. plus I plan on making my own GB themed board game at some point, but it wont be anything like this style (dungeons and dragons or table top gaming or whatever you call it) as Im not very good at those games. maybe when it comes to the GB Fans shop I will buy it.
Just watched the promotional video and I am very excited to see this become a real game. I will defiantly buy it once it arrives for all of us fans to play. The fact that Dan Schoening is contributing artwork to the game, is literally the cherry on the top of the sundae for me, since I am a big fan of his art work on the Ghostbusters comic books from IDW.
I got in on the Mass Hysteria Deluxe version as well with all the add-ons and can't wait to get it as the game is now guaranteed to be made, (barring Acts of Gozer)!! Cryptozoic makes great games, and as Ghostbusters has received an average of about zero board games in thirty years (not really counting the GB Playing Cards from last year, which I also backed/bought :P), I'm definitely down for this one. :D

I am a bit dismayed though that there is SO much hate in their Kickstarter's "Comments" section. I've backed and stalked a lot of things on there and this has got to be the most hate within two days of a KS launch that I've ever seen. People are barking at them with such a sense of entitlement that I've never seen in a KS Game Comment section before. It's a disgusting reminder of the Internet shield of anonymity. Clearly not Ghostbuster Fans in there. :-/

That being said, for those of you that might look at the $80 version alone and go "$80!?!?! Hokey smokes!!!" please understand if you're not familiar with big games like this with lots of parts, (including nearly 50 miniatures alone!) that they generally go for around that much. It may seem high if you're used to games more like Dominion or Pandemic, but for a "Big Box" game like this, they generally start at $60 and go up, up, up. Also, it can vary depending on not just what comes with it, but also if the game is an original design or are based on a licensed IP. Don't forget, Cryptozoic has to pay Columbia/Tristar/SONY/whoever, for the license, and quite possibly a bit of each and every game they sell. That adds to the cost as well.

It's pretty early on, and AJ can correct me if he knows what he'll be offering here otherwise, but I would expect this game to hit retail shelves for at LEAST the $80, and you'll lose out on things like the unlockable Ecto-1 and Zuul and whatever else comes down the pike (being KS exclusives). I passed or missed out on plenty of KS games I've wanted that were $60, $70, $80, and then had to buy them online or at conventions like PAX later on for $5-$20 more than they were on KS for originally.

So, I say squirrel away your pennies, nickels, quarters, dimes, and buy this game while there's still time! And also, just for fun, let's turn a sharp eye to this still I snagged from their KS video. Who can you guys identify as upcoming/potential unlockables? My only guess is that's Janosz in the nanny cap on the middle-left. :P Everything's up for grab, the cartoons, the comics, the films, so who can you identify or what are your thoughts?

- Xanath
Those drawings look weird.

Sorry but $80 is a ridiculous price for any board game. I never paid more than $20 for one and it's another case of making sure fans that like to have another thing nice from something we like can not be available to all of us.

I don't care for kick starters either. Also I dislike exclusives as well as buying online instead of in store and there should be one edition with the same stuff in every one of them to be fair to everyone.

Sorry to say this stuff guys but there is never going to be anything cool for us who will never have a lot of money. I'm just glad the Ghostbusters II Blu-Ray didn't go to Twilight Time with only 3000 discs
Smeghead liked this
Don't feel bad. There's no way I could bring myself to spend 80 bucks just on a board game. I live ghostbusters and all but seriously tho some of this stuff they bring out is just way to high of a price. Not all gb fans are loaded with cash to spend on this stuff. The game looks cool and all but still to pricey for me.
vgirl liked this
Xanath wrote:I got in on the Mass Hysteria Deluxe version as well with all the add-ons and can't wait to get it as the game is now guaranteed to be made, (barring Acts of Gozer)!! Cryptozoic makes great games, and as Ghostbusters has received an average of about zero board games in thirty years (not really counting the GB Playing Cards from last year, which I also backed/bought :P), I'm definitely down for this one. :D

I am a bit dismayed though that there is SO much hate in their Kickstarter's "Comments" section. I've backed and stalked a lot of things on there and this has got to be the most hate within two days of a KS launch that I've ever seen. People are barking at them with such a sense of entitlement that I've never seen in a KS Game Comment section before. It's a disgusting reminder of the Internet shield of anonymity. Clearly not Ghostbuster Fans in there. :-/

That being said, for those of you that might look at the $80 version alone and go "$80!?!?! Hokey smokes!!!" please understand if you're not familiar with big games like this with lots of parts, (including nearly 50 miniatures alone!) that they generally go for around that much. It may seem high if you're used to games more like Dominion or Pandemic, but for a "Big Box" game like this, they generally start at $60 and go up, up, up. Also, it can vary depending on not just what comes with it, but also if the game is an original design or are based on a licensed IP. Don't forget, Cryptozoic has to pay Columbia/Tristar/SONY/whoever, for the license, and quite possibly a bit of each and every game they sell. That adds to the cost as well.

It's pretty early on, and AJ can correct me if he knows what he'll be offering here otherwise, but I would expect this game to hit retail shelves for at LEAST the $80, and you'll lose out on things like the unlockable Ecto-1 and Zuul and whatever else comes down the pike (being KS exclusives). I passed or missed out on plenty of KS games I've wanted that were $60, $70, $80, and then had to buy them online or at conventions like PAX later on for $5-$20 more than they were on KS for originally.

So, I say squirrel away your pennies, nickels, quarters, dimes, and buy this game while there's still time! And also, just for fun, let's turn a sharp eye to this still I snagged from their KS video. Who can you guys identify as upcoming/potential unlockables? My only guess is that's Janosz in the nanny cap on the middle-left. :P Everything's up for grab, the cartoons, the comics, the films, so who can you identify or what are your thoughts?

- Xanath
I remember getting HeroQuest way back in the early 90s, and it cost somewhere around $40 back then. Side note, used versions still fetch a crapton of money on eBay. I should see if mine still exists.

But yeah, games that come with lots of figures tend to be a bit on the expensive side. After spending a bunch of time and money on figurines over the years, I guess I wasn't sticker shocked. The way I look at it is that you're paying for the game, PLUS you're investing some capital to help get a game off the ground. It would be different if they already had early costs paid for by venture capital. This is kind of the point of crowd sourcing, you pay a bit extra to help get a project off the ground. I consider it akin to charity.

The Ecto-1 isn't a KS exclusive, so I do believe that all retail versions will get that.
I went for the Mass Hysteria version. It's pricey, but I'm fortunate enough to have a pretty open budget and I won't be charged for almost a month anyway. Normally I wouldn't put so much on a board game, but I really feel like I want to support the Ghostbusters we all know and love in light of the reboot. Just because they'll possibly move on to new characters doesn't mean the old universe has to die out. That's how I'm justifying it at least :lol:
Looks nice but I can't stand the comic book style of the characters. I wish they'd of made new ones up. Though any merchandise based on the original Ghostbusters is a positive.
deadderek wrote:I wish they'd of made new ones up.
At least with the Schoening versions, they knew there would be a decent fanbase who might be able to make this project become a reality. If they'd started from scratch on the appearance of the core characters, there might've been a greater chance that a large portion of the fans might not've liked the hypothetical new designs.
Kingpin wrote:
deadderek wrote:I wish they'd of made new ones up.
At least with the Schoening versions, they knew there would be a decent fanbase who might be able to make this project become a reality. If they'd started from scratch on the appearance of the core characters, there might've been a greater chance that a large portion of the fans might not've liked the hypothetical new designs.

Plus they don't have to pay likness rights to Murray, Aykroyd, Hudson and the Ramis estate.
Kingpin liked this
I pledged (found a friend with a CC that didn't mind letting me use it)

Got the Mass Hysteria Deluxe Edition with the Zombie Taxi Driver Add-Ons!

This game looks awesome and I can't wait to play it *watches clock intently*

Also, with 20 days left, I can't wait to see what else gets unlocked!

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]