Strike that reverse it!

So I bought this thing off eBay a few years ago.

"Why?" You may ask. To build only the most awesome prop ever! Besides a proton pack. Or a trap. But definitely cooler than the Ecto-Goggles. Or at least imho...still need to build those...but I digress...

Initial thoughts...

This thing's too heavy. Need to lighten the load.

I'm debating keeping the UL logo, but I think it's in the way of the back fins.

Anyway stay tuned and let's void some warrenties...
Last edited by Kingpin on July 24th, 2018, 6:20 am, edited 3 times in total.Reason: Fixed image codes
Christof, freemooseshow liked this
The images weren't showing up as the image links were linking to the pages they were hosted on, rather than the images themselves.

To get the images themselves to display on the forum, they need to look something like this:

[*img*]https://imgur.com/nfLpEPT.jpg[/*img*]
(minus the *s)

Which should display like this:

Oh Hi! Welcome Back!

So I started to VOID the warranty...then it got over the top.

So let's start with the hole.

So why saw? It's what I had handy and I'm not a huge fan dremel tools and only use them as needed. Bad experience with my pack made me gun shy. Plus I didn't mind using some filler.

Speaking of filling...

I used .04" styrene to close the hole (literally put the body on the styrene, traced, cut a little wider than hole) and then thought hobby putty would somehow work on the rest...

Good news bad news: Good news is I filled in the saw marks, but the putty was crap for filler for this hole. Bondo it will be! But not right now.

While I have my sand paper out...

I took off the UL logo. I swear its flush and sanded even though the lettering is still showing.

And while I still had the sand paper out I took a crack at working on the nose.

The nose isn't as sharp as the original prop, but I didn't want to take off too much. I might come back at it with some more sanding or a power sander to try and get it flatter. and X-acto chisel helped in carving the plastic .

Now for the bad news...

I used a hot knife to help get the insides cleaned up.

I wasn't as careful as I should of been.

Then I used crap hobby putty to fill in the gaps at the bottom of the handle...

AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDDD...The bottom half inch came off while cutting with a saw.

So since eBay doesn't have any SP-1s up for sale and I'm not a quitter (especially since I just ordered a Hyperdyne Light Kit for the PKE) I have a half inch to rebuild.

Stay tuned...
Okay so last time we looked at the Iona shell it was missing about 1/2" from the bottom. Whomp Whomp!

But then I found a solution!

The end piece with the prongs for the electric cord!

Let me explain...for those of you who haven't torn an Iona SP-1 apart...when you take the shell apart there is a piece of plastic with the electrical connection on it. It sits in the grooves/flange that you need to fill and sand off to make a straight handle. I'm using this part to rebuild the end of my handle. That and a lot of BONDO! And some styrene...can't forget the styrene.

Prepped for Bondo! Using 1 mm (.040") styrene BTW.

Bondo'd!

The sanded results.

So I've fixed my shell. Sure it's not perfect and needs a little filling, but I salvaged the project which I swore to myself (and swore a lot when I cut the shell originally) I would save and not give in to the temptation of just buying a new shell on eBay. BTW if anyone wants to tackle this type of thing there is a green SP-1 on eBay right now. Little pricey, but good starter kit.

I digress.

I also filled in the hole better which I will have more pictures of next time because we may just be tackling the styrene fins on the back. Mostly because I'm scared to cut the shell again for the opening on the top and haven't done any of the measurements yet. I'm kinda winging it right now and don't have another project to work on while the PKE meter is being built (don't you worry I have a TC Hero Trap kit on the way so I'll be able to double down on some work). I finished my gizmo board and liked having two things to fiddle with at a time. Again I digress.

Until next time kids!
jpetrutis81 liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]