By Randallace
Just bought this - working with accessories and original box - want to convert it to the pke meter- looking for tips, advice , guides to conversion - ect --- appreciate any help
-Randall in Ohio

By CPU64
My honest opinion, I wouldn't ruin it by turning it into a pke. I would mold the shell inside and out, and modify the cast, then make more and finally provide nice shells. But that's just me :)
MonaLS liked this
By WShawn
I faced the same choice 20+ years ago.

After building a PKE meter from scratch in 1989,

a friend of mine gave me an Iona shell around 1993. My original plan was to make a cast of the shell, modify that and make finals from that so I could return the shell to my friend. I was never able to get a good cast, and my friend told me he didn't need the Iona back, so I decided to modify the Iona directly.

What's the point of keeping a pristine old shoe polisher?

If you're comfortable cutting, filling and sanding styrene and building parts from scratch it's not an impossible task. There are other PKE build threads on these forums. Perhaps I can post some shots of the one I've been working on for a LONG time. I can also post some reference photos the same friend who gave me the shell took at Modern Props in 1993 or so.

Shawn
Randallace liked this
By Randallace
I have now gutted the polisher - much lighter now - anyone want or need the motor or accessories ?

Been looking into how much in materials it would cost to mold it , once modified - I have a lot of casting experience , have many of my own works for sale in other forums
By WShawn
Here's what the wings look like in the real prop:

I've scratch-built my wings from styrene.

I filled them with a bit of polyurethane resin to add strength.

This shows how I plan to mount them in my modified shell:

When I get time in the next week or so I'll create a thread showing my build.

Best.

Shawn
Randallace, jackdoud liked this
By WShawn
My plan last year was to create molds of my modified Iona and use a resin cast for my final prop. I ended up with a handful of decent copies:

Though these would be useable with different degrees of clean-up, I was never happy with the feel of the resin. I tried two different types made by two different manufacturers, but neither really felt like styrene, so I've decided to use my modified Iona for my hero prop. It would be more fragile than a resin copy, but it would be a more authentic reproduction of the actual prop.

I've been working on this stupid thing for over 20 years. I had the shell pretty much finished around 2003, but I wasn't able to get the electronics working properly. A few years ago I learned about the Teensy Arduino, and I was able to prototype functional electronics to drive the servos and LEDs. Then I got greedy a year ago and decided to explore adding sound effects. I made some progress, but life and work got in the way, and I haven't touched it for almost a year.

I made a big push last week to upgrade some of the lights in my 1984 Proton Pack, and I'm itching to continue that and this PKE.

Shawn
Randallace, jackdoud liked this
By Randallace
Trying to figure the best way to fill in the hole on the bottom-had considered putting tape on the outside and then using two-part 5 minute epoxy and fiberglass mat on the inside and then building up the outside with Bondo I think that would work?
By WShawn
The idea of putting fiberglass into styrene frightens me. As far as I can tell on the original prop (as visible in the photo above), and in my reproduction, they glued a circle of styrene plastic over the hole and filled the other side with filler. I used Bondo and spot putty.

Note that to be accurate you have to reconfigure the holes for the upper screws, moving them out to accommodate the ribs.

Shawn
Randallace liked this
By WShawn
The top "hood" of your display looks like it's almost at a right angle to the body. You might want to adjust that based on these photos of the real thing:

Did you decide to remove the the shorter lip that surrounds the display piece? You have to extend the one that's on the polisher a bit.

Just trying to offer constructive criticism if your goal is to make your PKE as accurate as possible.

All of the reference photos my friend took are on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42356

Good luck.

Shawn
By Randallace
I did remove the lip , i messed it up while cutting out the center section - I plan to rebuild out of Sinatra - I TRULY appreciate all your input - I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do the power outlet area at the bottom of the handle- I kinda like the look of the power port inside but want to sand down the outside and make it look more accurate - kinda torn ...
As for moving the bottom screws , I am trying to figure out how I want to approach that

I also re-cut the screen angle

By WShawn
The angle on the hood of the viewer thing looks good. You might want to adjust the angle of the flat portion below that. It should be parallel with the seam between the two halves and the slots for the wings.

You'll have to decide whether you want to use rechargeable batteries of some sort or disposables.

Shawn
Ecto Containment Unit

Hey sorry I never saw this…it’s just […]

Greetings from Montana

Hey and welcome

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]