Im still looking around at the cameras, remotes and Shutter Trigger Camera Pistol Grips.

Its definitely a shutter trigger grip on a camera. Looks like the grip has a vertical and horizontal adjuster. which would make sense for the camera mounting easily and vertical for the look of the PKE. The controls on the back look like they were rotated counter clockwise 90 degrees using the hex wrench bolts and probably pulled the dial and reglued. Ill let you all know if I find the Camera Pistol Grip and camera/camera remote used.
By EctoRalph
I'm surprised it has been so hard to identify the camera. It seem like if we can track that down, the rest of the prop build would be pretty easy to put together. I have looked in every store and online for something even remotely similar in layout and size and cant come up with anything. For the part along the side of the camera which spins the antenna I was thinking of modifying a cordless screwdriver. Anyone else have any more info on where to source these parts? Thanks
Abby Shan-anigans wrote:Hello y'all.

I really believe that the trigger handle is--
A camera pistol grip, or a scanner pistol grip.
Sorry I don't have images available, but google those under Shopping.
So far that's proven to be one of the best leads we've had, I just wish there was some sort of maker's mark on it to help us narrow down the brand.

To me it looks like a mixture of a Mavica and a Handycam. The handle is definitely some sort of pistol grip. Everything else appears to be custom. The focus, peaking, etc. buttons have got to be from a larger digital video camera and custom fit. There's no way those would've been on a small digital camera.
DarkSpectre wrote:The 4 knobs are from a pro video camera control deck. We have a few in our video van. I wish I knew how to resin cast.
My very first job way back when I left school was mould making and resin casting props (and I was an idiot) so I say go for it!

For something simple like what you have here with a flat base, it can be as easy as building a lego box (or a sturdy card one) securing the item firmly to the base, pouring in the silicone for the mould and when alls set it's just a 2 part polyurethane resin mix.

The more complex the shape the more prep you have to put into the mould with channels and plugs etc but for something like this it might be an ideal start into learning the basics of casting.
I know we keep leaning towards a digital camera but to me it just doesn't add up. To me it far more resembles an old high end digital recorder. Especially the Handy Recorder H4N. I know that's not it but if that is a modified camera then it's an odd one.
By Troy
I was bored during a meeting, so I took a look at all of the Sony Cyber-Shot/Mavica/etc. cameras to see if any of them had a body that matched, a control on the lower left of the screen, etc.

Closest I've been able to come, it's possible they stripped the buttons and screen out of a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H400 (as it's the only model that has the exact DISP/Flash/Timer/ISO keypad design and a button below and to the left of it that could be replaced) and kludged it into a custom housing? The DSC-HX100V has the same keypad with the white lines crossing through it, but the wrong configuration. Still on the hunt.
The body is definitely a film based point and click. I believe troy is right that the buttons were snaked from another newer camera. I'm also assuming that one of those spinner wands was utilized or could be since the battery seems to sit in the barrel that houses the motor
Great pictures by 910dohead, those are good reference shots. The more I look at them and the length of time it has taken our community to source the parts with little luck, I am in agreement with Kingpin, that thing looks like a custom mold. If you look at the back where it says psychokinetic meter that knob looks static and molded, also the three little bumps below that I would assume would be buttons of some sort and those too look static and molded. As an aside this makes me a little sad, since one of the things I love about collecting and making GB props is the search for original parts.
910dohead liked this
EctoRalph wrote:As an aside this makes me a little sad, since one of the things I love about collecting and making GB props is the search for original parts.
Scanning and 3D printing has changed so much in the prop world. It makes props like this a real head scratcher. It have been an object found then modified then scanned then modified in computer then printed then further modified. We could be dealing with 100% found parts molded and cast into something new or something that never hit store shelves.

Something about ATC that excited me was the idea it would be like my old days on the forums (2003) where people would be finding out new information on props all the time. It may not have been helpful but it was exciting to see those little steps towards accuracy.

Now I just get a head ache. It's so hard to tell nowadays how a prop came to be. I'm happy to see the thrill of the chase in others though.
I realize I'm insanely late to this party but I'm hoping to build my girlfriend a reboot PKE meter this year. I've seen some great looking 3D print files but I don't have access to a printer. I've also checked Etsy and ebay for kits but haven't come across anything. Has anyone here built one or identified any more components?
Dan Akward wrote:I realize I'm insanely late to this party but I'm hoping to build my girlfriend a reboot PKE meter this year. I've seen some great looking 3D print files but I don't have access to a printer. I've also checked Etsy and ebay for kits but haven't come across anything. Has anyone here built one or identified any more components?
Hey, so I've just been working on one of these too. It has no working screen or sound effects, but it does have the spinning and illuminated antenna.

Here's the thing though. The original prop was 3D modelled by a production designer, and draws inspiration from various real world items (such as camera equipment, most likely all Sony products). However I don't believe you could actually build one of these from real components, it seems to be entirely made from custom fabricated parts. Wouldn't surprise me if the "camera body" was actually just resin 3D printed, with some machined metal pieces attached. Could even just have a cellphone stuck inside for the screen. You might still be able to find the handgrip but I didn't have much luck with that either.

So all the replicas which are out there are 3D printed, including mine. I did all of mine using FDM (filament) printing and it turned out pretty good, although there are areas where I wish I had a resin printer for some of the finer details.

I'm using the files designed by Martin Bryce (Shapeforge Props), he did sell printed kits on Etsy a while ago but not anymore as far as I know. These files are what most people are using, including a few groups who managed to fit real working LCD screens inside.

There's a Facebook group where a lot of people are sharing builds/tips/tricks, might be worth joining to get access:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/160058161017346

One caveat about this prop though, it's incredibly fiddly to build (lots of tiny wires which have to be cut _very_ short to fit in the small spaces), and very flimsy too. I finished the build after several months, handed it over to its new owner where it was used heavily during an event, and then at some point it must have fallen off a shelf or something because the Antenna completely broke off. So I'm in the process of doing some big repairs now. It really needs to be transported and stored in a padded carry case to keep everything safe from damage.

I've built many props over the years, including multiple proton packs with fully custom electronics, traps/pedals, a 1984 PKE, Gigameter, a Venkman Shock Box, even most of a working Delorean Time Circuits Display and Flux Capacitor.

The Reboot PKE is easily the most challenging prop I've ever had to build.

Edit: But, yes you should totally build one because when it's done...it looks AMAZING :lol:

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

Patch 1.8.0/DLC 5 added two more -Bitter Cold: […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]