Rough Nut has a killer helmet that looked perfect for a quick build (maybe a Cosplay outfit will show up later....)
The entire build took a Saturday (with starts and stops). Painting and weathering took an hour on Sunday.
Created a template of my head and used it to cut the EVA to size.
Used craft foam for the top band
Cut the bottom accent from EVA
The horns are three layers, an inner structure made from insulation sheet and two outer layers from EVA. I used a belt sander to get the final shape.
Used a dremel to further shape the horns and add "bone" texture
Wrapped the horns in craft foam that I detailed with a ruler and pencil and attached to the helmet
Cut "bolts" from EVA, sanded to shape and attached
Shaped the two smaller side horns out of EVA on the belt sander (and sanded my finger nail down to a sliver (ouch))
Created the 5 smaller horns for the top of the helmet the same way, created insertions spots in the top band, and glued in place
Added "bands" around the base of the horns to cover the gaps and took the helmet for a test drive
Masked and laid in the gloss black undercoat for the metallic paint
Final paint -no weathering
The obligatory viking face shot
I've only tried a couple of other foam builds and this was definitely the most complex to-date. Definitely a learning experience but happy with how it came out.
Thanks for looking!