Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
By Javamonkey
The first thing you need to do is figure out a way to organize and lock down the wires. I made a jig and I feed the wires through and hot glue the ends to keep them in place. The reason for this is that you'll need to stretch the wires tight. Did I say tight? I meant TIGHT!!
R1.jpg
The I screw the jig down and repeat step one for the other end.
2.jpg
Get the wires as tight as you can. I lay the wires across a board in order to help tighten up the wires. Then I use a clamp to tighten the wires even more. This is really important, otherwise your finished ribbon cable will not be uniform and it will look crappy.
4.jpg
3.jpg
Next, apply some strong tape on the entire length and width of you cable make sure you use tape that will hold all the wires in place.
5.jpg
Unscrew the jigs and turn the cable over.

Press the clear vinyl strips into the two gaps between the solid color bundle, the purple, grey, white, black bundle, and the striped wire bundle.

Now is the time for the magic sauce. You'll need to get a tube of E6000 Craft adhesive. This is available at craft store (Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc) It is clear, fliexible and strong.

Slather this stuff evenly on your cables.
7.jpg
8.jpg
Let it set up and dry over night. Pull off the tape and you're done.

Keep in mind as you make your cable that the only area that is really seen is the bottom 3 - 4 inches at most. The rest is twisted up mega -tight.

Good Luck.
By Mr.Spider
This is awesome ! thanks a bunch. Now we just need a resource for the wires themselves
By GB Jer
Zander Yurami wrote:
GB Jer wrote: the clear strip between the wires?

GB Jer
clear vinyl strips. They can be bought at fabric stores and Hobby Lobby

Also the e6000 helps a lot

thanks!
By kind2311
GB Jer wrote:Might I ask what gauge wires they are and where would be an easy place to find said wires? oh and the clear strip between the wires?

GB Jer
The wires should be 16AWG

The cable should be roughly 3" wide or slightly wider, never less. When making the cable, try and make small spaces between the wires, it's more accurate and that way the size of the spacers stays narrow while the cable itself retains it's 3" width

The clear strips of vinyl for the spacers should have a bit of an opaqueness to them, so as the spacers wont be completely transparent, but more translucent.

The fumes from E6000 craft adhesive are very strong and very toxic. Make sure you do this outdoors, with a filtered mask on.

the first pic shows the spaces between the wires very well, but in the second pic you can barely make them out. I just thought these might be nice reference shots.

ImageImage
By delta0142
Has anyone thought of using a laminate paper to do this; might be easier and I know some places you can get sheets any size you need and it would provide that clear look to it.
Id love to see what this looks like. My cable I got from solidgoldcandy a while back is started to separate. I want to take the wires out and make a stronger bond and this looks like it could be it.
By jackdoud
I've sourced a few places to buy it, the problem is most places won't do small batches so expect to buy between 100 and 500 feet of each of the 16 colors plus striping fee for 6. It's usually between $45-$75 per spool. You wind up with a ton of wire but you pretty much HAVE to sell cables to offset the costs.
Mods, please sticky this thread, it is worth keeping. I have found it very helpful.
BlkMesaHero wrote:Mods, please sticky this thread, it is worth keeping. I have found it very helpful.
Indeed.. We could post up various methods as we all test more cables.. Once I get this shrink wrap tape I'll be sure to post the progress as well.
By Grub
Being that the GB1 ribbon cable suppliers ripped us off, I'll be looking into this in lieu of anyone else supplying. However, I'm the UK - the clear vinyl strips between the wires: any idea where I can get some?
By movieprop
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Grub wrote:Being that the GB1 ribbon cable suppliers ripped us off, I'll be looking into this in lieu of anyone else supplying. However, I'm the UK - the clear vinyl strips between the wires: any idea where I can get some?
I used a clear, shower door weather strips like this one:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3 ... AA300_.jpg
Just had to cut off the 'T' at the top and any excess for your preferred width. It actually worked pretty good.
By movieprop
Namssorg wrote:Anyone who has made a GB1 cable- I've seen people use E6000, and others who have used clear heat-shrink wrap. Anyone care to weigh-in on the pros/cons of either method?
Made mine with E6000. The stuff is toxic and should be done outdoors with a filtered mask. My cable is still holding up since last August although there's been folks who say there's start to come apart after a few months. Maybe I got lucky, but it turned out pretty good. I plan to do another with shrink wrap/boat wrap.
By Carpeteria
I did the E6000 method, too - you have to be careful, as it sets pretty quickly, and you can get air bubbles, but it is super strong if you coat both sides well. I've had mine together for a year and a half so far, and there's no threat at all of it coming apart. Just spread it on evenly and as quickly as you can - it gets the job done.
By mikecray24
This looks like it could be a good source for at least the solid color wires, and they are sold in only 25' long roles, so it's not rediculously long haha. It's ~$4-6 a roll, so hopefully it won't break the bank and you'd be investing in enough to at least make a few cables.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?key ... 2016&dds=1

Hope this helps someone!

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]