Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
By Cornelius
So far, I have never had the intention of building the ecto-goggles, but your step-by-step guide is certainly inspiring. If/when I do build one, I'll be certainly making use of this! Looks very nice!

CK
By XvGojira
That LED cuircut thing looks swanky. What exactly was that and where does one get one of those?
By Saborlas
XvGojira wrote:That LED cuircut thing looks swanky. What exactly was that and where does one get one of those?
Looks to be a pretty standard breadboard. Snag one from Radio Shack.

It's a bit too big to do more than test your goggles LED circuit, but people have used them in larger props.
By undertaker6x3
crusader_x wrote:I did a step-by-step guide for my 7th pair of Ecto Goggles:

Ecto Goggles Build Guide

Feel free to send me any questions or suggestions for the guide...

I love the guide! I'm going to use it to build my own pair of goggles. I was hoping that maybe you could create a list of everything you need as far as parts, tools, and labels that you need for the goggles.

Thanks for posting up your guide!!!
By crusader_x
rcase209 wrote:Amazing!! Where do you go about getting the LEDs to go on the mask? Great job!!
Thanks for all the great feedback guys, glad people are finding this guide useful.
The LEDs are two regular blue LEDs and a 3rd "fast color changing" LED I get in bulk on Ebay. Just do a search for "color change" or "color fade" LEDs and you'll find a few Hong Kong based businesses that sell them in big lots. The color changer fades between sets of colors, like red to blue to green to purple and so forth for about 2 seconds. Once it is done fading it then flashes color combinations for a second and then starts over. The effect this has on other LEDs wired in series is that they fade in and out slightly while the color changing is switching colors, then flash when it flashes making a cool effect without having to build a complicated circuit.
XvGojira wrote:That LED cuircut thing looks swanky. What exactly was that and where does one get one of those?
I assume you're talking about the breadboard I tested the lights on?... Keep reading...
Saborlas wrote: Looks to be a pretty standard breadboard. Snag one from Radio Shack.

It's a bit too big to do more than test your goggles LED circuit, but people have used them in larger props.
I got mine from a local electronics surplus store called Chesters, but you can get them at Radio Shack or find them on Ebay. The first one I got is just simply a board of pins and was just an "add on" for a larger board. I got a second board, the one seen in the guide, which has strips on either side that are all connected. This is essentially where you plug in your power, + and - on either side, and then any lead that is plugged into this strip gets power. Does that make sense? Kinda hard to explain, but basically research what you're buying or you'll end up doing what I did and buying two breadboards. And I should point out as Saborlas said, these are for testing circuits before you solder them, not for building a permenant circuit on. But you can get perf board at Radio Shack for doing just that.
undertaker6x3 wrote:
I love the guide! I'm going to use it to build my own pair of goggles. I was hoping that maybe you could create a list of everything you need as far as parts, tools, and labels that you need for the goggles.

Thanks for posting up your guide!!!
Yikes, that's a tall order actually. I was about to start typing that out here in this post but I would need to put together a big list as not to be too specific but to generalize and cover as much ground as possible. I guess what I'm looking at doing is either creating an amendment to the guide with such a list, or making a 2nd version of the guide covering the making of a soft vinyl pair of Ecto Goggles. I'm leaning towards the latter...
But I still have to make my PKE Meter build guide so I see I have a lot of work to do...
By undertaker6x3
Well crusader_x , since I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that your is one of the best version of the goggles I've seen. We all hope that you will get the chance to give us a little helping hand by putting up a grocery list of parts as soon as you get the opertunity... Thanks
By | alkaline |
Hey thanks for your work! I wasn't gonna make them cause I have other stuff to worry about but with this guide I could knock them out in a Saturday or while waiting for resin to cure.
By crusader_x
cprich22 wrote:whered u get the welding goggles from?
I got them in a bulk auction on Ebay a long time ago. Harder to find them now, but do a google search for "rigid frame welding goggles" or variations of that and you'll find similar pairs...
By aliencatx
wow look like i have a weekend project. thanks a bunch
By Human_3D
Looks amazing and easy to follow, thanks a lot.

This will be really helpful as I am starting a build.

By the way is there any difference between GB 1 and GB 2 goggles ? :sigh:
By crusader_x
Human_3D wrote:Looks amazing and easy to follow, thanks a lot.

This will be really helpful as I am starting a build.

By the way is there any difference between GB 1 and GB 2 goggles ? :sigh:
Thank you, I am in the process of creating a new build guide since my techniques and materials have improved quite a bit since this was published. The new guide will be about customizing the vinyl welding goggles that are easy to come by from hardware stores.

I'm sure there are differences between the GB 1 and GB 2 goggles but I'm not an expert on that so I'm sure if you dug around on the site or just asked in general you'd get someone who can outline the differences. I'm curious to see this done myself.
Human_3D liked this
By Kingpin
Although the general principal of the Goggles remains the same (A PVS-5 frame, side knobs and one lense being longer than the other, there are still clear differences that spell the two Ecto Goggle props made for the two films apart):

Ghostbusters

Green/olive drab frame.
Black side knobs (flat outer face).
Short battery cover.
Genuine NVG power switch (missing in most scenes).
Long black/silver lense (camera lense)*
Short fully black lense (might be from a telescope)*
Black snaps.
Labels on both lenses and on left-hand side of frame.
Four black hex bolts on front panel of the Goggles.

* Lenses are largely smooth on the side, excluding thumb screw pieces and block at the end of the silver lense.

Ghostbusters II

Green/olive drap frame.
Black side knobs (inner detail on outward-facing side).
Tall battery cover (looks like it could be the standard short battery cover with a stunt Proton Gun knob added).
Genuine (or copy).
Dark grey/silver lenses (appear to be mostly scratch built, and appear to feature model tank tread parts), riveted to frame.
Green snaps (painted over)
The only label that appears to be on these Goggles is the side label, but looks to be painted over)
No hex bolts on front.
Tank model parts on front of Goggles between the lenses.
Additional fitting on the top of the Goggles.
Tyrael, Human_3D liked this

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]