For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
seaniccus wrote: I do want to talk about EGB though. I don't know how the community receives it, but I liked it when it was on TV, and there are some memorable moments for sure.
I myself liked it yeah the show had some stinkers but so did RGB. But I know the positive reception in the community isn't 100%
It's been a few weeks, but I'm finally back with another one:

After the Christmas video, I didn't have a lot of time to work on this project, and had to supplement my YouTube channel with older videos and filler. Luckily, I found time yesterday to record this episode, and the narration for the first Halloween episode, so that should make this week and next pretty easy to cover.

After that, it's only a few more episodes before we reach the end of the first ABC season, and start exploring the first syndicated episodes. I'll have to watch those before I decide what to do with them, but I may have to do a faster format with less face time just to get through them all in time. We'll see.
Seaniccus, this is the same Vahan Nisanian who comments on your RGB episode reviews. There are some key points to keep in mind in advance when watching the Syndicated episodes for review in the near future:

1) The animation had a little less of a budget, unlike the ABC episodes. This was to be expected, as more episodes were being cranked out on a regular basis for daily airplay.

2) The Syndicated episodes had more room for darker and scarier elements, that the ABC episodes couldn't do.

3) The Syndicated episodes had a lot of obscure references, that I can imagine flew over the heads of a lot of kids when they first watched these every weekday after school.

4) The Network (ABC) made sure that Slimer appeared in every single episode of their version, even during the first season. In Syndication, however, there was the occasional episode that didn't even have Slimer show up.

5) Several of the Syndicated episodes were released by RCA/Columbia Pictures Home Video and their international counterparts. Each Syndicated episode had a notice on that in the end credits.
Yeah, I expected some of that from the reading I've done, but I didn't know the Slimer bit!

You know a lot of very specific details though, I'm constantly impressed with the tidbits you drop in!

I've been expecting the drop in animation quality...and I don't know if I'm starting to see it or if it's a one-off, but the next episode had considerably lower-quality animation than the ones before it (the Halloween one). The characters are off model more and it seems a little more rushed. Made me wonder if they were up against a deadline to get it out on time.
Vahan liked this
Razorgeist wrote:Some of the syndicated episodes had some really good animation. Egon's Ghost comes to mind.
I think "Lost and Foundry" was the most beautiful looking of the Syndicated episodes, in terms of animation. I wouldn't doubt that it was TMS (Tokyo Movie Shinsha) who animated it.
Vahan wrote:
Razorgeist wrote:Some of the syndicated episodes had some really good animation. Egon's Ghost comes to mind.
I think "Lost and Foundry" was the most beautiful looking of the Syndicated episodes, in terms of animation. I wouldn't doubt that it was TMS (Tokyo Movie Shinsha) who animated it.
It's very close to being the best, but I believe The Collect Call of Cathulhu holds that honour. :)
Kingpin wrote:It's very close to being the best, but I believe The Collect Call of Cathulhu holds that honour. :)
Are we talking whole episodes? If so, then this wouldn't win out, but if we're talking select parts - the showdown scene in "Ghost Fight at the OK Corral" is my favorite when it comes to the animation. The sunset, the line-ups, the equipment lighting - all exceptionally well done.
Hey ho!

Forgot to post the last one I did, so here's TWO (count'em) TWO Episodes for the post of one!

When Halloween Was Forever

And, Today's Episode,

Look Homeward, Ray

As I said before, Halloween has some funky animation, with a lot of off model characters -- but there's a lot of good ideas in the episode, making it a mixed bag.

Homeward Ray is pretty fun though, and the animation is a lot tighter.
ghoulishfright liked this
I'll say what I said on youtube itself but yeah Im suprised at how well done "Look Homeward Ray" is. I never really put to much thought into it.

To go back to the boogieman episode I'd just like to say that the scene where Winston drives back to the Carter's apartment chases off the Boogieman again and keeps an eye on the kids is not only of the series crowning moments of heartwarming it really solidifies Winston as a character...he's the other half of the heart of the GB's. Glad to see Erik pick that up in the comics.
NEW EPISODES!

I know, I need to be better about updating this thread -- I'm two behind.

Here we are though:
Take Two:

Citizen Ghost:

BOTH episodes that address differences between the film and cartoon universes. I think they're both pretty good, but if the two, I think Citizen Ghost is the better episode.
I was hoping to edit this into the first post, but it seems like I don't have the ability, so, here's a list of all episodes I've done so far to date:

Ghosts 'R US

Killerwatt

Mr.s Roger's Neighborhood

Slimer Come Home
[youtube]v=dIkXW8o7Kuo[/youtube]

Troll Bridge

The Boogieman Cometh

A Christmas Humbug

Mr. Sandman, Dream me a Dream

When Halloween Was Forever

Look Homeward, Ray

Take Two:

Citizen Ghost:

....there may be a big gap coming, though -- soon I'll be going on a two-month bicycle tour of Japan, and won't be able to create reviews in that time frame. If we're all very lucky, I'll do some ahead of time. No promises yet though!
Well have a good time.

See now I assumed that when the doppelgangers were trapped the personalities dissipated. You know looking back on some other 80's kids show RGB is rather remarkable in how it maintained its consistency.
By seaniccus
I came back from Japan, got a haircut, and I finally, FINALLY have a new episode:

The front lighting was a little harsh, sorry 'yall. Been awhile since I done this.

I may have to change the format anyway and have less face time -- getting through the Syndicated episodes is going to take AWHILE.

Good to be home though -- even if the GB community is a little crazy right now!
Hey Seaniccus, Welcome back! Well I certainly hope you don't feel you have to rush through the series. I look forward to seeing what you do with your format. Also looking forward to what your thoughts will be once you get a chance to see the new film. I hope that even if you may be selective about which ones you might be giving great attention to, that you are able to still enjoy the series as a whole. :). Some of my personal Favorites are. Ragnarock and Roll that's a fan favorite. Hanging by a Thread, Bustman's Holiday, Egon's Ghost, Collect Call of Cathulu The Ghostbusters in Paris, and The Man That Never Reached Home. Just to name a few there are quite a few good stories in the sindicated season. The animation may not be as smooth as this first season, but there are some stories that the sindicated episodes have that I don't think they would have been able to get away with if it was Network tv. :)
Releases are slow, but I'm still here!

This time we've got Knock, Knock

I'm a little harsh on this one for writing and pacing, but I still think it's a great episode.. I just think that some of the ABC episodes that came first were better.

I was also planning on doing a new movie review, but never got around to it. I spent too much time reading reddit's gb community and got really discouraged by the negative attitudes. It's not about liking or not liking the film, it's about people being jerks.
JurorNo.2, Wafflerobot liked this
Like I said on YouTube, "The Boogieman" was a much better song choice for that possessed-bus scene in "Knock, Knock".
Do not agree with that at all. Main theme all the way!

I was a little suprised at how down you were at this episode. Then again I do see your points. I tend to think highly of this one as it genuinly scared me as a kid. It didnt help that I grew up next to the Market-Frankford El https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market%E2 ... kford_Line (Thats the same train line you see in Rocky and Trading Spaces by the way) and the thought of possessed trains was creepy to me. Plus living skeletons and hell imagery was creepy. I would say when it comes to the syndicated episodes you have more to look forward to.
seaniccus wrote: I'm a little harsh on this one for writing and pacing, but I still think it's a great episode.
I completely get what you mean, the pauses between dialogue get REALLY annoying after awhile, lol. But you know, what can you do? As you say, there's still plenty to enjoy. Looking forward to more reviews!
Razorgeist wrote: I was a little suprised at how down you were at this episode. Then again I do see your points.
It came off more negative then I meant, but I didn't want to re-record anything -- like Juror says here, it's mostly the pacing.

It's mostly just the pacing
JurorNo.2 wrote: the pauses between dialogue get REALLY annoying after awhile, lol. But you know, what can you do? As you say, there's still plenty to enjoy. Looking forward to more reviews!
This is it! It's certainly not bad, but the pauses in speech are really weird. The overall idea is really great, and there's some really awesome looking sequences here, but the level of the writing just isn't as good as it could be. It's a really good episode, but it could be really really great with a little more work.. though that editorial call is a little after the fact here!
seaniccus wrote:
This is it! It's certainly not bad, but the pauses in speech are really weird. The overall idea is really great, and there's some really awesome looking sequences here, but the level of the writing just isn't as good as it could be. It's a really good episode, but it could be really really great with a little more work.. though that editorial call is a little after the fact here!
I'm just kinda used to it, I remember other 80s cartoons having similar pacing issues where characters just kind of awkwardly look at each other til the next line, lol. But I think when you're a kid you have a way of forgiving these things and filling in the blanks.
Yeah, I'm definitely not coming at it with a memory of watching these -- as a kid, I only caught maybe a handful of Episodes, and I've only come across a couple of them so far. We didn't have cable and our TV reception was lousy.... so i'm seeing a lot of these as an adult for the first time.

I really l liked what I saw as a kid -- but I also missed a lot of the best known episodes.
seaniccus wrote:Yeah, I'm definitely not coming at it with a memory of watching these -- as a kid, I only caught maybe a handful of Episodes, and I've only come across a couple of them so far. We didn't have cable and our TV reception was lousy.... so i'm seeing a lot of these as an adult for the first time.

I really l liked what I saw as a kid -- but I also missed a lot of the best known episodes.
Off topic but going back to the Sandman episode, I love the very beginning when Peter's had a "rough night." If this were the movies, it would mean Peter had a hot date, too much to drink or something. But in the cartoon, no, he just had some bad dreams, lol. That's rather adorable.
It came off more negative then I meant, but I didn't want to re-record anything -- like Juror says here, it's mostly the pacing.
Yeah I figured that much. As far as pacing goes most of the later RGb episodes have better pacing if memory serves me.
JurorNo.2 wrote: I'm just kinda used to it, I remember other 80s cartoons having similar pacing issues where characters just kind of awkwardly look at each other til the next line, lol. But I think when you're a kid you have a way of forgiving these things and filling in the blanks.
I miss good pacing in TV and film. Everything is edited so fast nothing is given room to breathe or indie directors go the complete opposite way and there's ten second pauses during scenes.
pferreira1983 wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote: I'm just kinda used to it, I remember other 80s cartoons having similar pacing issues where characters just kind of awkwardly look at each other til the next line, lol. But I think when you're a kid you have a way of forgiving these things and filling in the blanks.
I miss good pacing in TV and film. Everything is edited so fast nothing is given room to breathe or indie directors go the complete opposite way and there's ten second pauses during scenes.
Well in the case of RGB, the pacing wasn't intended to be slow, it was just the result of time constraints and budget, etc. But yes, in general I do think Hollywood movies have allowed story and pacing to take a back seat, and it's only gotten worse over time. Television is actually doing better and that's why it's getting more respect now.
Sav C liked this
Today we've got the closest yet to a "skip," and maybe a precident for episodes that I just don't find that interesting:

Station Identification

I definitely gave Knock Knock a harder time that it deserved. When it comes to budget-limited Animation, it was actually really smart about it's filler content. Station Identification isn't as much. Apart from more animation errors and mistakes, I just found this one kind of boring -- so the episode isn't very long.

I actually didn't leave in my favorite part of the episode though: in the "Woodchuck" leave it to beaver parody, the adult he's talking to calls him a loser. That was pretty funny. Not sure why.

I have one more I've already recorded the footage for -- Ragtime Boos -- but I still need to edit it. Hopefully I'll get another block of free time to write and record more soon!
JurorNo.2 liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]