By ghostfan003
I've read the countless threads about dye recipes and Tru-Spec uniforms. I've decided I want a grey GBII suit and picked a black one to alter.

My current theory is to not waste any time or resources and use only some of the RIT dye remover .... maybe 1/4 of a box or less and remove enough of the black dye to turn the suit grey. Has anyone tried this method?
JTWingless liked this
By DarkSpectre
If I'm not mistaken just using remover alone will yield a reddish color because black dye is a mix of blue and red. That's why most people use a combo of black and navy dye since Charcoal gray is on the purple side.
By Jairus
DarkSpectre wrote: July 11th, 2018, 9:51 am If I'm not mistaken just using remover alone will yield a reddish color because black dye is a mix of blue and red. That's why most people use a combo of black and navy dye since Charcoal gray is on the purple side.
Yes, that's the issue. "Black" dye isn't just black; it's a combination of pigments to create black, and some pigments are more colorfast than others. Bleaching or using color remover (similar processes and results, but the remover is gentler on the fabric) will leave you with a reddish-brown color. The green offsets that red color and the blue brings it around to a cool shade of grey that's consistent with the screen appearance of the suits.

If you're really strapped for cash/time, just use bleach and Kelly Green. The color won't be right, but it's the cheapest option. Doesn't make much sense to stop there, though, when adding some blue only costs another $3 and an hour of time.

I wonder if it's time to investigate some teal dyes and see if the recipe can be optimized...
By JTWingless
I had some good luck with turning my white pistol belt gray by using the dark black dye, then moving it to a clean hot water bucket before it fully set and letting the dye fade out like that. Keep checking it and you can control the shade well, just remember the water darkens it too. I used a bucket and my bath tub so I could keep an eye on it and change the water frequently. Took loads of stirring though.
By Jairus
Black dye is the way to go for belts. I've never been a fan of the Pearl Grey that everyone seems to love, especially when you get such a great shade of cool grey from a quick bath in black--and you use less dye, too.

As an experiment years ago when I was dying multiple grey belts, I actually left some white cotton pistol belts in a bath of black dye overnight, just to see what overdying looked like. They came out of the dye bath charcoal grey, but some heavy rinsing and a quick soak in Oxi-Clean later and they were almost the same color as the ones that were done "correctly." It's hard to mess up a pistol belt dye job.
By Havoc0213
Actually, I have used Rit color remover on a black tru-spec before. It took about 2 or 3 packs and some close watching, but it turned out grey. No reds or odd colors like previously suggested.

By livewire008
^^Looking good, man!
Jairus wrote: August 4th, 2018, 3:23 am Black dye is the way to go for belts. I've never been a fan of the Pearl Grey that everyone seems to love, especially when you get such a great shade of cool grey from a quick bath in black--and you use less dye, too.
I agree; I'm not overly fond of the RIT Pearl Grey. I did two belts with it and it's grey, but there's also a hint of purple to it, depending on how the light hits it. Doesn't show up (that I've noticed) in photographs, but in person you'll see it if you're looking for it. Maybe I didn't use enough dye, but one pack per belt seemed like plenty.

Not saying I'm unhappy with it, but if I had it to do again, I'd probably try the black so I could shade it to taste.
By Havoc0213
Thank you! Trying to do the same with my Gibson & Barnes which claims the same 65% Poly 35% cotton blend as a tru-spec, however, it doesn't seem to be taking to the same color remover method I used. I'm stuck and it's incredibly frustrating and disappointing.

(The suit in the middle was the same black as the one on the left, but now slightly lighter after 4 attempts at color remover. The suit on the right is my tru-spec)

As for the belt subject, I've tried pearl grey and the result was terrible. The purple-ish color was not what I was expecting. Definitely trying black bye next time!
By ghostfan003
This is great info, you guys! I'll be using the RIT dye remover to be gentler on the suit and see the results. If it turns out in a reddish hue, I've got RIT charcoal grey and blue dyes to counter it. Time to give it the old college try!

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]