By EgonMacGyver
I just ordered the Tru-Spec Navy flight suit from the GBFans store, and I've been looking at threads on how to dye it to the right color. Has anyone had any experience using the liquid charcoal grey dye from RIT instead of using the combination of black, royal blue, and kelly green? If so, how did it turn out? This is my first time dying anything, so any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!!
By DarkSpectre
Holy crap, took them long enough lol. You may be able to get by with just lightening the blue some and using this, however gray tends to fall into the purple side so maybe grab green just to tone it down. Good luck!
By EgonMacGyver
Thanks, Spectre. I think I might just go with the tried and true way, to be honest, though I suppose I could just use that color remover to undo the dye if I really needed
I’ve been meaning to update my uniform thread for a while now, I recently color stripped my rothco navy blue suit with the RIT color remover, then used the RIT Charcoal Grey liquid dye and it turned out perfect. I’ll get around to getting some pictures for you.
By Etigo
Do you think you could take some pictures of your DYING progression? :-P
By EgonMacGyver
Todd, how much did you use? Half a bottle, a whole bottle, or more than that?

Etigo, you're just *dying* to see it, aren't you? (sorry, I couldn't help it)
By Etigo
WHAT JUST POPPED IN THERE??? :-P
EgonMacGyver liked this
By DarkSpectre
Toddbobbentley wrote: May 24th, 2018, 6:46 pm I’ve been meaning to update my uniform thread for a while now, I recently color stripped my rothco navy blue suit with the RIT color remover, then used the RIT Charcoal Grey liquid dye and it turned out perfect. I’ll get around to getting some pictures for you.
I'm looking to do charcoal suits for my team so I'd like to see what you came up with, Tood
Toddbobbentley liked this
By Toddbobbentley
Sorry guys I’ll get some pictures up tonight to give you an idea of how it looks, my method was this...

1. Boiled a huge pot of water and poured into a 5 gallon bucket, added the RIT color remover followed by the navy blue flightsuit. I constantly stirred and agitated it for 30-45 minutes.

2. I then rinsed the suit in hot water in the bathtub until the water ran clear. After the water ran clear I threw it in the washer then dryer.

3. The suit went from dark navy blue to almost white with a hint of blue to it.

4. I boiled another big pot of water and poured it into a five gallon bucket then I added half of a bottle of the liquid RIT Charcoal Grey, added the suit to the bucket and stirred/agitated for 30-45 mins.

5. I rinsed the suit in cold water to set the color, rinse until the water runs clear. Then added the suit to the washer and washed. I let it air dry and once it was dry my suit was perfect color of charcoal grey.

I’ll definitely get some pics up for you all who are interested in seeing the final results!
By Toddbobbentley
I was stupid and didn’t take any pictures of the in between stages of the process but if you follow my directions you should end up with a perfect GB2 suit.

Keep in mind I used a ROTHCO Navy blue suit as the base.
By EgonMacGyver
Toddbobbentley wrote: May 28th, 2018, 11:24 am Sorry guys I’ll get some pictures up tonight to give you an idea of how it looks, my method was this...

1. Boiled a huge pot of water and poured into a 5 gallon bucket, added the RIT color remover followed by the navy blue flightsuit. I constantly stirred and agitated it for 30-45 minutes.

2. I then rinsed the suit in hot water in the bathtub until the water ran clear. After the water ran clear I threw it in the washer then dryer.

3. The suit went from dark navy blue to almost white with a hint of blue to it.

4. I boiled another big pot of water and poured it into a five gallon bucket then I added half of a bottle of the liquid RIT Charcoal Grey, added the suit to the bucket and stirred/agitated for 30-45 mins.

5. I rinsed the suit in cold water to set the color, rinse until the water runs clear. Then added the suit to the washer and washed. I let it air dry and once it was dry my suit was perfect color of charcoal grey.

I’ll definitely get some pics up for you all who are interested in seeing the final results!
For step 5, where did you rinse it? The bottle says it'll stain "plastic, fiberglass, or worn porcelain tubs", and I have a bathtub that'll probably get stained by it. I'm contemplating taking it outdoors and just hitting it with a hose, but being in NY, the weather is -- well, let's say random -- at the best of times (and multiple choice at the worst).
By Etigo
Alright!!! :-D
By EgonMacGyver
Toddbobbentley wrote: May 31st, 2018, 6:24 pm I rinsed mine in the tub, it didn’t stain the tub. Our tub is fiberglass, honestly my girlfriends hair dye stains the tub worse than the RIT would have.
Ha, then I guess the thing that'll cause the most trouble is the carpet in my hallway between the bathroom and washer (my apartment was built with a couple structural ... oddities, like carpet in front of the washing machine area, or air conditioning vents over the kitchen counters)
By Etigo
Wow, great color!!! :-D
By EgonMacGyver
Toddbobbentley wrote: May 28th, 2018, 11:24 am I let it air dry and once it was dry my suit was perfect color of charcoal grey.
Do you think there'd be any harm in drying it in the dryer instead of letting it air dry?

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]