By Pete33
kind2311 wrote:dont get those. the arm band is large and has a hole in the inner side. get the century judo kneepads listed in the main post.

k, just ordered the judo ones. thats some pricey kneepads! now im just hopeing i can figure out how to make them grey. is it a difficult process?
By Pete33
has anyone ever used grey spraypaint on there pads? how does that turn out? is it better to just dye them or is spraypaint a good option? also where can one get grey color dye?
By The Stiff
Your best bet is to use black dye, but diluted. Grey doesn't make the pads dark enough.

You can use grey spray paint or even grey primer to darken the bubble of your pads, as that area doesn't usually take the dye as well.
By Werstum
Pete33 wrote:the bubble is the circular "pad", right?

also, i ordered the large size judo kneepads. are those the best looking ones?
I got them myself and they look great.
Of all the pictures I have seen in here of the elbow pads, people have cut away the excess fabric.
A tip there is to roll and tuck the excess fabric under the armband (as kind2311 also mentioned), but
then sew the fabric to the pad so it stays there. I have done that and it looks much better than cutting
the excess fabric away. Here are some pictures of how mine look so far:

Then I baught a dark gray fabric paint and poured it in a bucket, added warm water and just dunked the pads in it and left it to dry.

Im very pleased with the result :)
Only thing missing is to sew on a piece of black elastic fabric over the wholes on the back of it.
By madeinsocal6
Werstum wrote:
Pete33 wrote:the bubble is the circular "pad", right?

also, i ordered the large size judo kneepads. are those the best looking ones?
I got them myself and they look great.
Of all the pictures I have seen in here of the elbow pads, people have cut away the excess fabric.
A tip there is to roll and tuck the excess fabric under the armband (as kind2311 also mentioned), but
then sew the fabric to the pad so it stays there. I have done that and it looks much better than cutting
the excess fabric away. Here are some pictures of how mine look so far:

Then I baught a dark gray fabric paint and poured it in a bucket, added warm water and just dunked the pads in it and left it to dry.

Im very pleased with the result :)
Only thing missing is to sew on a piece of black elastic fabric over the wholes on the back of it.
Not sure if you know this but Vin (Kind2311) has repeatedly stated why the extra fabric is cut off and not sewn. "The screen used pads were never sewn, the fabric was cut off just like you have seen throughout this site." So, sewing them or folding the fabric back as you have is not entirely accurate. Just thought I'd reiterate that.
By kind2311
thanks fernando. also, folding them back means you're doubling the elastic up, making the armbands tighter on the ends so they end up cutting off circulation.
By Werstum
kind2311 wrote:thanks fernando. also, folding them back means you're doubling the elastic up, making the armbands tighter on the ends so they end up cutting off circulation.
Another tip there for those who take the folding solution. After the coloring, place em around a big bottle or something when they dry. That will loosen up the elastic.

bought hole.....happy now? :roll:
By kind2311
dont get those. they are pretty big, have a hole in the inner armband and have a "Spectrum" branding on the bubble that is not easy to remove.

get the Century Judo Kneepads from the Karatesupply.com link listed in the first post.
By GBMelnutz
I've been trying to dye my Pads all day today and they're not coming out right.
Any pointers, guys?
And what's the best way to get rid of that excess material above and below the Hard Carapace.
By XenuPrime
kind2311 wrote:dont get those. they are pretty big, have a hole in the inner armband and have a "Spectrum" branding on the bubble that is not easy to remove.

get the Century Judo Kneepads from the Karatesupply.com link listed in the first post.

Thanks Kind!

I found a code that takes $1 off at karate supply: D593

I have also found those pads cheaper elswhere (under century grappling pads), but after shipping they all are about the same price.
By StaggeringElk
Would the powdered black dye work the same? I just found some in my house, and wondering if I should just go and buy the liquid. I've read about the liquid dye, but not about the powdered
By jbaker003
thanks to Kind2311 for pointing me in the direction of the Century pads from karatesupply.com. the "Century" logo pealed right off...didn't even need a razor blade, just grab a hold of one of the points of the logo and lift it off of the pad and just peal like you would a sticker. comes right off with little to no damage to the pad what so ever. haven't dyed them yet but i'll post pictures when i do. i'm gonna try black RIT powder first and see how that turns out.
By Marcus
I'm all set to order my pads from KarateSupply and have a question, something I've never seen mentioned....Size? I'm assuming as these are to go around my arm and not my leg, I could go with the youth size. Is that what others have done? Oh and the D593 coupon code is still valid, for those ordering.
By jbaker003
Marcus wrote:I'm all set to order my pads from KarateSupply and have a question, something I've never seen mentioned....Size? I'm assuming as these are to go around my arm and not my leg, I could go with the youth size. Is that what others have done? Oh and the D593 coupon code is still valid, for those ordering.

DO NOT buy the youth size, as they will be far too small and will be very tight. i purchased the same pads as per Kind2311's first post and they are screen accurate in size and shape. once you cut off the extra elastic material from around the pads they will be smaller than what they appear when you first receive them. once again, DO NOT buy the youth size. the adult's are the way to go. unless of course you're a 10 year old child, which im assuming you are not.
By Marcus
jbaker003 wrote:DO NOT buy the youth size, as they will be far too small and will be very tight. i purchased the same pads as per Kind2311's first post and they are screen accurate in size and shape. once you cut off the extra elastic material from around the pads they will be smaller than what they appear when you first receive them. once again, DO NOT buy the youth size. the adult's are the way to go. unless of course you're a 10 year old child, which im assuming you are not.
Heh, no..not 10, at least not chronologically. :wink: Thanks, too! Adult size it is!
By jbaker003
cut and dyed my century judo knee pads today...here's the process...

items i used for this. sharpie, scissors, lighter, and fray check...
IMAG0083 by nouseforajer, on Flickr
first i marked my cut by folding the extra material in to where i wanted it and marked it with a sharpie...
IMAG0082 by nouseforajer, on Flickr
like so...
IMAG0081 by nouseforajer, on Flickr
end result...
IMAG0079 by nouseforajer, on Flickr
items used for the dying process. 1/2 bucket of hot water, black RIT powder dye, and chemical gloves
IMAG0084 by nouseforajer, on Flickr
half empty or half full?
IMAG0086 by nouseforajer, on Flickr
followed Kind's directions. soaked them for 2 hours, squeezing the bubbles, and stirring the dye bath about every 30 minutes. i think they came out exactly the color i wanted, although obviously i was a little messy with the fray check which are those dark spots all over the elastic part.
IMAG0095 by nouseforajer, on Flickr
IMAG0096 by nouseforajer, on Flickr
IMAG0097 by nouseforajer, on Flickr

have the black patches ready to go on just not much for sewing so i'm gonna ask my girlfriend to do it
By jbaker003
lordgilpin wrote:Excellent job on those man!
why thank you very much sir. i bought some black acrylic fabric paint to try out Kind's method of darkening the creases between the bubbles but it goes on fabric VERY black and i was just too happy with the result to risk screwing them up...
By dtblack
So I got my century pads today and found removing the logo to be quite troublesome. I used a razor blade and tried to be as careful as possible but it didn't seem possible to get it off without messing up the bubble a bit. Is this normal or do I just really suck? It seemed to be quite stubbornly on there unlike jbaker's. I had bought two pairs, so if anyone has any suggestions before I attempt to do the second one it would be appreciated.
By indyracingfan
Had an idea and wondered if anyone has tried this yet.
I've read a few complaints about trying to get the creases in the bubble on the pads darker.
Some of you have used paint, etc. to that end.

I've seen photos of a few of you who used the Dritz Fray Check where you cut the pads to size and the fray check held the dye better and made the edges darker. Anyone try using a small line of the fray check in the crease of the pad to see if that holds the dye better and makes the crease look better?
Just a thought.

I just got a set of pads and got them cut and fray check applied, ready to dye when I get the time to do it.
Thanks for all the helpful posts in this thread!

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]