Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Sav C
Davideverona wrote:Nobody writes here anymore?
Really so much of this forum revolved around politics, now that we aren't talking about them we need to find other things to discuss.

With that said, wouldn't it be a blast if we all share our thoughts on kneeling during the anthem? I say that sarcastically of course. Let's not actually go there.

...Or what about how Jared Kushner has been registered to vote as a female since 2009. I say that seriously, of course.
Last edited by Sav C on September 27th, 2017, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By timeware
They never should have blended sports with politics. I don't go to a stadium to be preached to by some namby pamby snowflake that never voted. All i'm saying on that one.
By JurorNo.2
timeware wrote:They never should have blended sports with politics.
Muhammad Ali.

Anyway, part of me says Kevin getting smarter after his possession would be a very clever idea. And it is, don't get me wrong. On the other hand, as we've talked about, Ghostbusters has never been about pulling out the obvious writing devices. I mean Louis doesn't change at the end of GB1 either. He does in the sequel yes but that's a whole other ball game.
Sav C liked this
By Uncledeadly
I went to see Ghostbusters opening week in June of 1984 with my dad. It was the second movie I had ever seen in a theater. First was the Muppet Movie…But any way I was in aww with everything from the proton packs to the ghosts from that point on up till now. All through the years Ghostbusters was a big part of my life, and still is.
I did go and see the remake when it came out in July of 16. BECAUSE I am a fan. I thought it was okay as far as movies went. I wouldn’t go as far as to call it a reboot/remake of Ghostbusters. Because it just wasn’t. When I think Ghostbusters…I think Murray, Ramis, and Aykroyd and the characters they played. Gozer and Zuul and all the rest….Let me explain
For those who remember a movie in 1979 called Heaven Can Wait which starred Warren Beatty that movie was a remake/ reboot of a 1934 movie called Here Comes Mr. Jordan. In the 1934 version the main character was a boxer who played the Alto saxophone as a hobby. He wanted to be the champ. In the remake Heaven Can Wait 1979 version Warren Beatty was a football player for the Los Angeles Rams that played a soprano sax as a hobby. He wanted to get to the Super bowl.

All the characters in the remake took on the names of the characters from the first film. The film was slightly modified but it wasn't totally switched around with different roles. The film became a success Heaven Can Wait in its own right. It didn't detract anything from the original here Comes Mr. Jordan.

That is what I would have liked to have seen with Ghostbusters. Slightly modified things but the root of the story stays the same. So as far a two cents goes…That’s mine
Sav C, timeware liked this
By Sav C
Heaven Can Wait is a really great movie.

I've been thinking about the topic question some more, and have come to the conclusion that I would not fix GBATC. There are things that can be improved upon, yes. But ATC isn't inherently broken. It may not be a great movie, but it is a pretty good movie, and for the most part feels like it is the movie that it wanted to be. Some parts could be tuned up, but for the most part there is nothing to actually fix.

With that said, I personally would probably not make ATC if making a Ghostbusters film of my own. Whereas some have compared ATC to RGB tone wise, I would try and make something in the vein* of the first two movies. Which leads me to an interesting (and by interesting I mean dull) thought I had... I was thinking that if you were to take a transcript (not the actual shooting script due to how much variation there was from it) of the first Ghostbusters and make it nowadays, it would probably be made for a pretty reasonable budget.

ATC cost 144 million dollars to make, and included 1700 effects shots, multiple scenes with stunt work, multiple variations of equipment props and gadgets, and a replica set of Times Square (among others). Ghostbusters cost 30 million in '84, had 200 effects shots, two scenes with stunt work (when the ghostbusters fall into the sinkhole and Gozer doing her midair backflip), and the spook central street and Gozer temple sets. If made today I would estimate Ghostbusters would've been made for 60 to 70 million, however I'm obviously no expert at this stuff. Anyway, considering ATC made 130 million dollars in the US with all of the controversy, we can probably assume that that is around what any Ghostbusters film would make back at minimum. (Don't forget how many people boycotted seeing it.)

In a Forbes article today I saw the journalist basically question why Ghostbusters is still a "highly valued property", and that with the next animated movie they will be trying to "revive a broken brand". That is why: because a Ghostbusters film made on a smaller scale will still be able to turn a profit, even if it is only twice it's budget. And who knows, if it wasn't boycotted perhaps it could turn a much, much larger profit!

And that is what I would do if given creative control. I wouldn't fix ATC as it isn't broken, but for future movies I would simply reduce their scale.

* It turns out there are three different spelling of the word vain, each with a different meaning. It took me all three tries to pick the right one here, haha.
By Davideverona
Atc is already in the can, so we can't fix it. Like I said, the IDW crew already fixed it giving some explanations who stays true to what Feig envisioned and who make ATC perfectly able to live side by side with the original Ghostbusters world. (the Murray, Aykroyd, Hudson cameos, the different style of busting).

I proposed and ending who involves a portal and Holtzmann and Toland ending in our NY with Ray.

What if this is the beginning of the next live action movie?
Sav C, philmorgan81 liked this
By timeware
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing some portal jumping in the next movie. Sorry Sav, I think the Indians are going to get to the world series this year. I'm willing to eat crow, and I think the parrot is going to kick a little bass master! Awesome year to be an Indians fan regardless of the outcome though.

(would anyone get the reference if I slapped a Ghostbusters logo patch on a Miller Time jersey?)
By TK5759
timeware wrote:I wouldn't be opposed to seeing some portal jumping in the next movie. Sorry Sav, I think the Indians are going to get to the world series this year. I'm willing to eat crow, and I think the parrot is going to kick a little bass master! Awesome year to be an Indians fan regardless of the outcome though.

(would anyone get the reference if I slapped a Ghostbusters logo patch on a Miller Time jersey?)
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
timeware wrote:Sorry Sav, I think the Indians are going to get to the world series this year. I'm willing to eat crow, and I think the parrot is going to kick a little bass master! Awesome year to be an Indians fan regardless of the outcome though.
Never! The Indians have yet to be (Aaron) Judged!
May the best team win. The Yankees are year ahead of schedule, so I'm pretty thrilled they've made it to this point anyway!

Edit: Nice profile pic, though!
By philmorgan81
Davideverona wrote:Atc is already in the can, so we can't fix it. Like I said, the IDW crew already fixed it giving some explanations who stays true to what Feig envisioned and who make ATC perfectly able to live side by side with the original Ghostbusters world. (the Murray, Aykroyd, Hudson cameos, the different style of busting).

I proposed and ending who involves a portal and Holtzmann and Toland ending in our NY with Ray.

You bring up a very good point. It is fun to talk about what each of us would have rather seen in ATC, but you are right IDW did fix the whole thing. I have said it before, but I seriously doubt that the ATC crew will ever be seen on the big screen again. The upcoming Mini series will satisfy those who really enjoyed the ATC characters and give them a chance to evolve and continue existing. I have a strong feeling that the next live action movie will be more the lines of a true sequel to the original world. Of course that depends on how well the animated film is received. I am hoping that even though they say it will be a story seen from a ghost's perspective I am hoping that there will be some focus on the actual Ghostbusters. Still can't wait to see what comes next. :):):)
Uncredited Extra liked this
By Davideverona
philmorgan81 wrote:
Davideverona wrote:Atc is already in the can, so we can't fix it. Like I said, the IDW crew already fixed it giving some explanations who stays true to what Feig envisioned and who make ATC perfectly able to live side by side with the original Ghostbusters world. (the Murray, Aykroyd, Hudson cameos, the different style of busting).

You bring up a very good point. It is fun to talk about what each of us would have rather seen in ATC, but you are right IDW did fix the whole thing. I have said it before, but I seriously doubt that the ATC crew will ever be seen on the big screen again. The upcoming Mini series will satisfy those who really enjoyed the ATC characters and give them a chance to evolve and continue existing. I have a strong feeling that the next live action movie will be more the lines of a true sequel to the original world. Of course that depends on how well the animated film is received. I am hoping that even though they say it will be a story seen from a ghost's perspective I am hoping that there will be some focus on the actual Ghostbusters. Still can't wait to see what comes next. :):):)
Maybe is a ghost of a deceased Ghostbusters. Or a friendly ghost who helps them.
By Sav C
timeware wrote:Did anyone catch the 2cnd Yankees V Indians? I would have loved to have been in the stadium. Four innings without a hit, what a hell of a game!
...but dammit that guy was not hit by that pitch--he was out! Too bad my Yankees didn't challenge. But since they didn't, the Indians won fair and square. Good game buddy.
Last edited by Sav C on October 15th, 2017, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JurorNo.2
Sorry if I'm in a bad mood. My faith in humanity went out the window with "Blade Runner 2049's" 88% RT rating, lol. Though BO wise it seems to be struggling. Unlike the first movie, I don't see it becoming a cult classic.
Sav C liked this
By timeware
They knew for years and said nothing. I think it's highly interesting that Hollywood, who stood atop of their moral high ground choosing to launch an almost 24/7 if you don't see ATC your a sexist" campaign stood by Harvey Weinstein knowing the man was a perverted creep.

Now, I cant fault my favorite director and I am being sarcastic when I say "favorite." Feig is actually wanting to talk about Harvey. I can however fault Hillary Clinton when she's taken large sums of money from Harvey while preaching she's a voice for all women. The mountain of hypocrisy just got a little higher to climb!

No you are not in the twilight zone, I actually just complimented Paul Feig.
By Alphagaia
While I don't agree there was a sexist campaign, though it was made a big thing by the community, or that Hollywood can be seen as one single hivemind entity, I do agree this kind of awfull behavior is one of the reasons Feig wants better deals/depictions for women in movies and this sadly proofs we are not there yet. People in power can do terrible things, but let's not go into politics again. Create a thread in the appropriate section if you want.
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
timeware wrote:They knew for years and said nothing.
It's easy to say "they knew for years and said nothing" when you have absolutely nothing at risk or at stake in the game.

Even in 2017, Hollywood is an unfriendly organ grinder for untold numbers of people, a major percentage of which are the multitudes of women who get chewed up by the industry, and that's even if they aren't subjected to sexual harassment or abuse, roles don't come easy and even when you are established, you only continue to get work by the grace of the "powers that be", and how often do we see actresses fade into obscurity simply because they happened to become a little too old in the Studios' eyes?

People like Weinstein control Hollywood, and if you get on their bad side they can make sure you never work again... the threat alone is enough to put pressure on people to not say a word, but if you're one of the people that was prayed on by people like Weinstein, the people who are physically and emotionally assaulted... it's not easy to just "speak up".

The Weinsteins, O'Reilly's, the Murdoch's, they rule with fear and influence... and as horrendous as it is to acknowledge, unless you can get enough people together to call these incidents to attention, they get swamped and washed away by the damage control teams of those various powers that be... which is what's happened in the past.

It's not good that these incidents were going on for so-long in Hollywood, and with some people helping to perpetuate the culture and assaults, but not everyone in Hollywood was in bed with what was going on, and sadly some people's voices just weren't loud enough on their own to have been taken seriously until now.

Personally I find it a little disgusting that the Weinstein scandal is being used here to score extra political points against anything other than Weinstein and his ilk, his cohorts and the culture they embody. I have no idea what role, if any, Hillary Clinton played in this, and until someone provides proof she was complacent, maybe some folks' agendas should be put away.

Now respectfully, can we get back to the topic at hand? No further discussion of baseball, and if folks wish to discuss what's going on with Weinstein, I invite you to start a topic for it in the General Forum.
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By Sav C
I started a baseball topic in the general forum already. Weinstein should go to jail. Like I said there isn't anything to actually fix in ATC.
By Sav C
RichardLess wrote:
timeware wrote:I would agree with replacing the director and throwing in Emma Stone. I would have turned it over to Happy Madison thrown in Eddie Murphy as mayor, Jon Lovitz as secretary, Leslie Jones, Bruce Campbell, Seth MC Farlane, and Kate McKinnon.
Happy Madison? The Adam Sandler production company? With Ghostbusters? I don't know about that idea.. I love Bruce Campbell and Jon Lovitz but Seth Mcfarlane is not a very good actor. Then again so long as he doesn't write or direct it maybe someone can reign him in.
I for one second the idea of Seth MacFarlane playing a Ghostbuster. I've been watching his new show called The Orville and I must say it is pretty good.
This Post Contains Spoilers
Obviously little can top Ghostbusters, but I think a lot of people who didn't like ATC would've been happier with the reboot had it been in the style of The Orville, and mores I think Seth MacFarlane would make a really good Ghostbuster. I highly recommend the show to anyone who is a fan of Ghostbusters, Star Trek, and/or Star Wars.
By guitar1036
Davideverona knocks it out of the park! With that simple after credit action... though the waste of a movie... you make the audience realize who cares what happens in ATC2016 (it's an alternate dimension)... and that the sequel will follow the original GBs. Movie fixed.
By Marcus B
I recently watched ATC for the first time. In my opinion it needed to be less self aware and more serious. It felt like a parody of Ghostbusters at times. The world in the original Ghostbusters felt much more real, despite all the supernatural stuff going on.
philmorgan81, Sav C liked this
By philmorgan81
Marcus B wrote:I recently watched ATC for the first time. In my opinion it needed to be less self aware and more serious. It felt like a parody of Ghostbusters at times. The world in the original Ghostbusters felt much more real, despite all the supernatural stuff going on.

Yeah I think that something most of us agree with. The fact that it feels more like a parody. I know that the topic is "How would you fix GB 2016?" I think there are so many here that have excellent ideas. The more time that passes though I realize that Feig pretty much made the kind of film he wanted. I think the more appropriate question is what would you do to make the next live action movie better? The more time that passes I really don't think there is any fixing ATC. At this point and I don't want to open a can of worms, I am glad that ATC exists in a world of its own which means they can go back to the drawing board. I would really like to see what the Prime Ghostbusters world would look like today. Would they be out of business again? (Hope Not). Would the business be booming and have expanded? Would they be working with the Government? I think those would be neat options to explore. :):):)
Sav C liked this
By Marcus B
Yeah, there is no really fixing ATC.. it's more of what do they do from here thing. Live action show with teenagers is not it, in my opinion.
By DarkSpectre
philmorgan81 wrote:
Marcus B wrote:I recently watched ATC for the first time. In my opinion it needed to be less self aware and more serious. It felt like a parody of Ghostbusters at times. The world in the original Ghostbusters felt much more real, despite all the supernatural stuff going on.

Yeah I think that something most of us agree with. The fact that it feels more like a parody. I know that the topic is "How would you fix GB 2016?" I think there are so many here that have excellent ideas. The more time that passes though I realize that Feig pretty much made the kind of film he wanted. I think the more appropriate question is what would you do to make the next live action movie better? The more time that passes I really don't think there is any fixing ATC. At this point and I don't want to open a can of worms, I am glad that ATC exists in a world of its own which means they can go back to the drawing board. I would really like to see what the Prime Ghostbusters world would look like today. Would they be out of business again? (Hope Not). Would the business be booming and have expanded? Would they be working with the Government? I think those would be neat options to explore. :):):)

I'd like to see the company be international and the Prime GB are the figureheads of the organization and the new live action follows a new group that fits the leads archetypes, but in a mixed gender. But still have your "Ray", "Egon", "Peter", and "Winston" types. Hell, if it would satisfy the demands of both universes, have Holtzmann and Tolan fill out your Egon and Winston roles and get a Chris Pratt and a Paul Rudd or Seth Macfarlane for your Ray and Peter types.
Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]