Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By JurorNo.2
timeware wrote:They probably don't want to get labelled a sexist for not liking ATC.
necrosapien87 wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:Some however, invent mad reasons to dislike it.
Saying the movie only targets males for instance, is just ignoring it also targets females with negative trades.
The women have very small negative traits. There's no positive male character in this film.
Oi...OK, guys, I'm going to have to bring in some historical perspective here. I see a lot of fans online, the anti-SJW types, who insist that the new feminism is suddenly so horrible and so unfair. But of course, they just adore the old feminism, they wouldn't have had any problems with that, they insist! Bull. They only think that because they were babies at the time. They know all about Back to the Future, but nothing about the adult world of the 80s. (Necrosapien, you may be an exception to some of this and that's fine. I'm just responding to your hang up about how male and female characters are treated).

ATC was basically doing a Cagney and Lacey (and I ever, EVER hear that Scooby Doo comparison again, you will be shunned). For those of you who don't know, C&L was a cop drama in the 80s, that starred two women. Great show, it was funny, but also very hard hitting, not every episode had a happy ending, etc. In any case, it's a good representation of the feminist movement of the time. C&L were tough, no nonsense cops and every story focused on them and their issues, both on the job and off. The men were strictly supporting characters, used with I would say, restraint. And yes, the one young white male was a bit of a lug. At one point, get this, he even complains about vanishing male privilege!!! :shock: Yes, that's right, kids, that concept wasn't invented in the 2000s! But the other guys on the show weren't wimps. They had their own concerns in life, and had no problem telling the women when they were wrong. If they heard complaints about "no positive male characters" they'd likely laugh at such over sensitivity. Or the idea that they're supposed to be choir boys for the kiddies.

And guess what, C&L also had their share of character flaws. Cagney was too hard headed, to the point where she'd push people away. Lacey was often a bit slow on the uptake. They were far from perfect.

The point is, I see the same ear marks in ATC. The story is exclusively from the girls' pov, and the guys aren't the big heroes, coming in to save the day. But, again, the girls are far from perfect. Erin is far too preoccupied with her reputation, to the point where she stupidly allows a ghost to escape! Not to mention her flirting with Kevin is always portrayed as pathetic and off beat. Abby is too pushy, to her friends, delivery guys, and (unwisely) the dean of her school. Patty literally tries to leave the group during a busting job. Holtzmann, well, I don't think she's human. ;)

Bottom line, none of these ideas are new. There isn't some evil new breed of feminism taking over to ruin your childhoods or your movies. The world didn't come to an end back then, and it certainly won't now. Timeware, I don't want to label some of these fans as sexist, but I would label them as ignorant of the past.
Alphagaia, Sav C, 80sguy liked this
By timeware
Bottom line, none of these ideas are new. There isn't some evil new breed of feminism taking over to ruin your childhoods or your movies. The world didn't come to an end back then, and it certainly won't now. Timeware, I don't want to label some of these fans as sexist, but I would label them as ignorant of the past.
I'll agree with you on that. As for my comment on the script I'm a movie critic. Unprofessionally, but I find fault with any movie I review and I'm going to be honest, blunt, and sarcastic when I review it regardless if I like it or not.

Outside of the film the cast and director made a point of exclusively promoting liberal feminism and that hurt it big time. People already had their fill of identity politics by the time the movie rolled out.

The ultra feminist's did not help us and invited a lot of the vitriol. If Feig wasn't Feig and stayed out of it there could have been a larger audience that waltzed into the theaters. I firmly believe that.
By JurorNo.2
timeware wrote: I'll agree with you on that. As for my comment on the script I'm a movie critic. Unprofessionally, but I find fault with any movie I review and I'm going to be honest, blunt, and sarcastic when I review it regardless if I like it or not.
Fair enough, I just think there are so many other movies that actually fit the description you stated. But of course, that's what discussion boards are for, it's cool that we can go back and forth on the question. :)
Outside of the film the cast and director made a point of exclusively promoting liberal feminism and that hurt it big time. People already had their fill of identity politics by the time the movie rolled out.
I can see both sides. Yes, the Democrats can be over bearing, condescending, and tone deaf. Absolutely, no argument there whatsoever. But this hostility towards feminism from the other side is very ugly and again, very ignorant of history. I can't defend them either. The movie shouldn't have to tip toe around their confused feelings. I'm just not into the "fan pride" thing, not after last year.
The ultra feminist's did not help us and invited a lot of the vitriol.
I'll agree with this, especially after recently getting attacked on Tumblr for defending Joss Whedon, lol. Remember that lug I mentioned from Cagney and Lacey? I saw a Tumblr post once from a feminist who was thrilled to death that that character had no redeeming qualities. She liked that the show was being uncompromising and showing how awful men are, blah blah blah. Except, A, she was wrong, that character did have his share of good moments. And B, she was being needlessly hostile to men, which is no better than the misogyny she hates.

Still, at the end of the day, I think most people just didn't like ATC's trailer or that it was a reboot. Plus it actually did well for a comedy, and that's pretty much how it was marketed, when it should have been marketed as a blockbuster.
Sav C liked this
By DarkSpectre
JurorNo.2 wrote:Still, at the end of the day, I think most people just didn't like ATC's trailer or that it was a reboot. Plus it actually did well for a comedy, and that's pretty much how it was marketed, when it should have been marketed as a blockbuster.
I still get the feeling after numerous viewing and editing the the film down, that they really didn't know what type of film they were making. Feig treated it like his usual comedy, McCarthy and Jones like an episode of the Real Ghostbusters, Wiig like she was in bridesmaids and Mckinnon to have a good time. So I agree with J2 that as a comedy it did well financially but that's also the issue. This is a Ghostbusters film and while yes it was a comedy it should've been marketed as a blockbuster and produced as such. That's Feig and Sony's Fault for not seeing the big picture and probably due to his reluctance. Had he made a supernatural comedy with the same cast, It would've been a sure fire hit for him but Bearing the Ghostbusters name and legacy, he couldn't make it out from under that enormous shadow.
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
While this topic is about what could be hypothetically done to "fix" the issues of the reboot, let's not take that as an opportunity to rehash the various bashing that's already been detailed substantially in other threads on this sub-forum.

Various things I'd modify include:
*Tightening some jokes and dropping others entirely (I'd tighten Holtzmann's "is it one?" retorts to just one response, I'd ditch the Dean of the Kenneth P. Higgins Institute's "flip the bird" thing entirely, I'd ditch the jokes which made the Mayor look like a moron and I'd tighten the bits with the theatre manager, dropping his scream. I'd tighten Patty's response regarding the earrings to just "guilty as charged", as I thought the shorter answer in the trailers was funnier.
*Making Garrett less pathetic, but retaining a sense that he's helpless when pitted against the unknown power of the supernatural.
*Reintroduce the larger crowd of ghosts in Times Square, remove Gertrude Aldridge and Mayhem from the final battle.
*Make Kevin less of a dumb jock, or give him a bit of an intelligence boost as a trade-off from his possession by Rowan.

Purely for my own indulgence:
*Featured one scene where you could see the screen on the PKE Meter clearly, giving something for prop replicators to work from.

There's probably more, but it presently escapes me.
By RichardLess
Kingpin wrote:
RichardLess wrote:
Who is Ben?
Me.
Hmm so now we see part of the man behind the curtain. "Ben" eh? Interesting. I always had you pegged for a "Wilson" or perhaps "Kenneth". Now my mental image of you is all wrong. Are you tall? I imagine if you are, kids teased you with names like "Big Ben"?
By Sav C
Funny, almost no one on here knows my full name. It's because my parents don't know I'm on the site, hence I'd rather this account not be traceable to me by information provided on the boards.
By Kingpin
RichardLess wrote:Are you tall? I imagine if you are, kids teased you with names like "Big Ben"?
5' 8" and wishing I was a bit taller, though I have been teased in a good-natured way as "Big Ben".

I do miss the days when things were a bit more personal, and less anonymous. Sav, are your parents opposed to Ghostbusters, forums, or just the internet in general?
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
None, they let me get on Facebook no problem. I've got plenty of freedom. It's just that when I got on I got on to spread that petition (remember?) and when it only got one signature I realized that I had overreacted to a non-issue, and was too embarrassed to tell them. Then at points I acted like a bit of a jerk with my opinions (such as those on "new music"), and was too ashamed of myself to let them know I had acted that way. Usually I'm pretty reserved.

They actually opened an account on here a few years back, they didn't post anything but they used it to enter a photo into the Halloween contest.

You can all get to know my name once I head off to college or something, how's that sound?
By Sav C
timeware wrote:Can I buy a vowel?
Nice Wheel reference... Not at this point, however funny you should mention vowels, as my name makes interesting use of them. :)
By DarkSpectre
Sav, you don;t have to disclose who you are. The only reason I call Kingpin by his actual name is that I've been on this board along side him since 2005 and back then it was a much smaller site so everyone was a little more knowledgeable of each other.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
OK, well I may disclose it someday. Sav is my actual nickname, so while it doesn't give away my identity, it's not as if it some fake internet handle either.
By Alphagaia
You know, since I had the most problems with the villain, I would have loved it if Charles Dance was the actual villain.

How cool would it be if he was the mastermind behind it all, wanting to one up the GB by conjuring up and trying to catch ghosts, maybe influencing Rowan, but becoming possessed or killed just like the movie.

Still want a more personal villain and end battle though.
JurorNo.2, philmorgan81, Sav C and 1 others liked this
By timeware
This concept was borrowed from the RGB series but it would have been an interesting move if they had chosen a washed up tv show host obsessed with game shows. The end goal would have been the villain trying to broadcast spirits into everyone's living rooms. Picture Dave Coulier, Bob Sagat, Polly Shore, Rob Shnieder and if he were still with us Lou Albano for the role.
Would have been more original then having another gigantic destructor roaming around.
By philmorgan81
Alphagaia wrote:You know, since I had the most problems with the villain, I would have loved it if Charles Dance was the actual villain.

How cool would it be if he was the mastermind behind it all, wanting to one up the GB by conjuring up and trying to catch ghosts, maybe influencing Rowan, but becoming possessed or killed just like the movie.

I was hoping that Chris Hemsworth would be revealed to be the master mind all along. Not just a poor schmuck that got possessed, but THE main villain like maybe an ancient God in disguise. Things would have to play out a bit differently than they did in the film. I think it would be better if Kevin was hired as a secretary sometime after the Mayhem bust. I would forgive his acting like a complete fool like he did in ATC if it were revealed to be an act. This is similar to what happened in the Video Game and I swear I thought that was where they were going when it was announced that Chris Hemsworth was cast as the Ghostbusters Secretary. I thought it would be cool if Kevin was pulling Rowan's strings the whole time. I consider it a missed opportunity. I mean if ATC was good enough to get a direct sequel I doubt Hemsworth would have returned. :):):)
Noremon liked this
By Styrofoam_Guy
philmorgan81 wrote:
I was hoping that Chris Hemsworth would be revealed to be the master mind all along. Not just a poor schmuck that got possessed, but THE main villain like maybe an ancient God in disguise. Things would have to play out a bit differently than they did in the film. I think it would be better if Kevin was hired as a secretary sometime after the Mayhem bust. I would forgive his acting like a complete fool like he did in ATC if it were revealed to be an act. This is similar to what happened in the Video Game and I swear I thought that was where they were going when it was announced that Chris Hemsworth was cast as the Ghostbusters Secretary. I thought it would be cool if Kevin was pulling Rowan's strings the whole time. I consider it a missed opportunity. I mean if ATC was good enough to get a direct sequel I doubt Hemsworth would have returned. :):):)

I actually like this idea that Kevin would be the Master mind behind the entire thing. It would be an interesting twist and would add quite a bit to the story.
philmorgan81 liked this
By DarkSpectre
I also agree that it would've made things much more interesting to have him be the main villain. That's honestly where Hemsworth shines the most in the film. The irrational stupidity/damel in distress thing was groan inducing. Or hell make him and Rowan the minions characters of a godlike being that ends up being Bill Murray.
philmorgan81 liked this
By TK5759
DarkSpectre wrote:I also agree that it would've made things much more interesting to have him be the main villain. That's honestly where Hemsworth shines the most in the film. The irrational stupidity/damel in distress thing was groan inducing. Or hell make him and Rowan the minions characters of a godlike being that ends up being Bill Murray.
philmorgan81 wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:You know, since I had the most problems with the villain, I would have loved it if Charles Dance was the actual villain.

Styrofoam_Guy wrote:
philmorgan81 wrote:

I actually like this idea that Kevin would be the Master mind behind the entire thing. It would be an interesting twist and would add quite a bit to the story.
Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have actually figured out how to fix GB2016. This idea is brilliant and would have added a much needed layer of intrigue. :cool:
JurorNo.2, philmorgan81 liked this
By DarkSpectre
To add the icing on the cake is to have Him reveal who he is during the Yates possession scene. Like watching it all unfold, instead of accidentally being in the wrong place at the wrong time, have him flee on the bike after Rowan gets "exorcised"
philmorgan81 liked this
By TK5759
DarkSpectre wrote:To add the icing on the cake is to have Him reveal who he is during the Yates possession scene. Like watching it all unfold, instead of accidentally being in the wrong place at the wrong time, have him flee on the bike after Rowan gets "exorcised"
And then to have Erin realize that she was attracted to a demon? Can we say "character development"? Imagine the tension it would have created if she thought Kevin and Abby had a fling when she got possessed...
philmorgan81 liked this
By Davideverona
The Gbettes close the Rowan's portal. Baddie Kevin open up another one, more powerful than the first. The Holtzy and Patty and Kevin ends up sucked in, then the portal closes, leaving Erin and Abby figuring out what to do. New York is saved but with a price: half the Ghostbusters are missing.

AFTER CREDIT SCENE

A portal opens in the same place. Kevin, Patty and Holty are spitted out. THe girls try to shoot Kevin.

Then another proton stream hit Kevin. We see Ray Stantz standing in the middle of the street, civilian clothes and an old proton pack.

Ray: "Who are you???"
TK5759 liked this
By TK5759
Davideverona wrote:The Gbettes close the Rowan's portal. Baddie Kevin open up another one, more powerful than the first. The Holtzy and Patty and Kevin ends up sucked in, then the portal closes, leaving Erin and Abby figuring out what to do. New York is saved but with a price: half the Ghostbusters are missing.

AFTER CREDIT SCENE

A portal opens in the same place. Kevin, Patty and Holty are spitted out. THe girls try to shoot Kevin.

Then another proton stream hit Kevin. We see Ray Stantz standing in the middle of the street, civilian clothes and an old proton pack.

Ray: "Who are you???"
Davideverona wrote:Nobody writes here anymore?
No need....you totally nailed my dream ending and did a better job of setting up a sequel. :cool::love:

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]