Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
pferreira1983 wrote:Ah but Filmation's Ghostbusters is not related to our franchise. :mrgreen:
Which is why I was surprised to see it come up so often here.

Still, you can live with Answer The Call being a part of the conversation.
pferreira1983 wrote:I mean I have a life outside here too y'know.
Yet you had plenty of time to go nuts with the Thumbs down button last night it seems. 12 alerts and all from you, lol. Time you could have been spending talking about the GB movies you did like. But somehow that is never a priority for detractors. ;) You know, there are fans, and then there are...anti-fans.
I'm sure the original is fondly remembered
Ya think?
a film that failed commercially
My God, no movie's ever done that and lived to tell the tale!!!! :shock:
I would think so since I'm a movie and video gaming fan as well as studied film/TV.
I think you know there's a difference between being a fan and being too invested. And I studied film too, btw. Only I don't use it as an excuse to question other people's taste level. That's just insecurity. I used to think more like you about "today's movies" but it's really not that simple.
Kids today are brought up with shallow made movies.
Every generation says that. The other day I saw people on YouTube praising a TV show from their childhood...their childhood of 2004. You know what they said? "Kid shows today suck!"

Circle of life, my friend.
I don't know man, let's see if those films are remembered in ten years time.
Um, there are Oscar winners and nominees from years past (i.e. the times you're glorifying) that weren't long remembered either. That's always the case.
HunterCC wrote: Before I Fall was ok, (Groundhog day was better :) )
Well head's up, today is the day I'm seeing Groundhog Day the Musical! I'll share an informal review tomorrow...if there is a tomorrow...since there wasn't one today... :shock:
By Sav C
JurorNo.2 wrote:
HunterCC wrote: Before I Fall was ok, (Groundhog day was better :) )
Well head's up, today is the day I'm seeing Groundhog Day the Musical! I'll share an informal review tomorrow...if there is a tomorrow...since there wasn't one today... :shock:
Juror, you stuck in yesterday? How was it? :)
Alphagaia liked this
Kingpin wrote:Still, you can live with Answer The Call being a part of the conversation.
I can live with it, just not like it. :)
JurorNo.2 wrote:Yet you had plenty of time to go nuts with the Thumbs down button last night it seems. 12 alerts and all from you, lol. Time you could have been spending talking about the GB movies you did like. But somehow that is never a priority for detractors. ;) You know, there are fans, and then there are...anti-fans.
I would like to think when I come onto this site that I bother to read through nearly every single post and thread. If you've gone on a rant and it's something I feel strongly about of course I'm going to give a dislike. It doesn't mean a non-fan otherwise I wouldn't have interest in Ghostbusters. Anyway I've had my posts disliked as much as you have I'm sure.
JurorNo.2 wrote:My God, no movie's ever done that and lived to tell the tale!!!!
I'm not saying that, I'm saying it becomes part of history. Everybody ends up remembering a flop more than a success, human nature unfortunately.
JurorNo.2 wrote:I think you know there's a difference between being a fan and being too invested. And I studied film too, btw. Only I don't use it as an excuse to question other people's taste level. That's just insecurity. I used to think more like you about "today's movies" but it's really not that simple.
If you're saying you've studied film then there's a chance we're not going to have the same opinions on movies right? I would only question someone's taste in movies if the lowest common denominator was being reached which most movies today aim for.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Every generation says that. The other day I saw people on YouTube praising a TV show from their childhood...their childhood of 2004. You know what they said? "Kid shows today suck!"
As I said kids today lack context. It's only by growing up and learning to appreciate what's come before, then their opinion becomes more informed. I mean I can appreciate cartoons from the 60s and 70s and I wasn't even born back then.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Um, there are Oscar winners and nominees from years past (i.e. the times you're glorifying) that weren't long remembered either. That's always the case.
Actually I can look at an actors list and remember a lot of Oscar winning films. Whether films stand the test of time is what is important.
pferreira1983 wrote:It doesn't mean a non-fan otherwise I wouldn't have interest in Ghostbusters.
Now, now I didn't say non fan, I said anti fan, like when negativity takes up an inordinate amount of time.
I would only question someone's taste in movies if the lowest common denominator was being reached which most movies today aim for.
Today's? Look up vaudeville. Heck, look up ancient Greek plays. Heck, I know people who think GB84's humor is too low brow. Do you want to laugh, or do you want to look down on people who do? Reitman and Ramis were always being accused of making schlocky movies with adolescent humor. Ramis once responded by saying, "We're not slobs. If anything we retain our 13 or 14 year old mentality. People think it's pandering to do these movies, but I don't see it as pandering, these things genuinely represent our cherished adolescent values." Notice there's nothing in there about scolding the lowest common denominator or their taste level. You're way off if you think that's what Ghostbusters has ever been about. ;)
As I said kids today lack context.
There are previous generations who think you lack context. And now you're doing that to today's kids. Nothing has changed, least of all human beings.
learning to appreciate what's come before
Kids are already doing that more and more today, thanks to the Internet. I'm not at all worried about that.
Whether films stand the test of time is what is important.
Which neither of the BTTF sequels ever will. ;)
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on April 18th, 2017, 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
Sav C wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Juror, you stuck in yesterday? How was it? :)
Hi, I did go see it, but I'm actually going to have to wait till Wednesday before sharing a review, stay tuned! :)
Sav C liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Sav C wrote: Juror, you stuck in yesterday? How was it? :)
Hi, I did go see it, but I'm actually going to have to wait till Wednesday before sharing a review, stay tuned! :)
The 14th? You saw the preview where the lead tore his ACL?
http://www.playbill.com/article/groundh ... l-recovers
I only heard about this show through this incident via my alumni network...I went to college and did some shows with the understudy. Go Missouri State Bears! Break a le...er...give it your all, Andrew Call!
http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/after-st ... forms.html
JurorNo.2 liked this
featofstrength wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
The 14th? You saw the preview where the lead tore his ACL?
http://www.playbill.com/article/groundh ... l-recovers
I only heard about this show through this incident via my alumni network...I went to college and did some shows with the understudy. Go Missouri State Bears! Break a le...er...give it your all, Andrew Call!
http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/after-st ... forms.html
Indeed I did! Very surreal moment, the show just stopped and this voice announced "Please clear the stage, if there is a doctor present, please come to the back of the theatre" (Yes, they literally asked "Is there a doctor in the house?"). It all had happened offstage so we had no idea what happened or who it happened to. We waited for 15 minutes (with the announcer twice claiming they'd be back in 5 minutes!). And bare in mind, it was 10:30pm at this point! When the show finally started up again, it was toward the end when Phil was playing piano at the bar. I was checking all the chorus members to see who was missing. But then Karl came out from behind the piano with this big walking stick and a noticeable limp; we were collectively stunned! He had a great sense of humor about it though, playing to the audience with lyrics like "And now I'm here! And I'm alright!" And then later when he was telling his co-lead to hurry up, he added, "What's the matter, you hurt your leg?!" Lol. He was smiling through tears during the curtain call, very touching, the guy's a real trooper! Apparently he's going to continue doing the show with the injury, best wishes to him!

That's cool about your alumni network, I wish mine were as on top of things. Yup, best wishes to Andrew Call as well when he's called upon (no pun intended)!

As for the show itself, first and foremost, there is a Ghostbusters reference!
This Post Contains Spoilers
I was uncertain about the first act, the pacing was too fast, almost like a montage (frankly, I suspect that partly explains Karl's injury). The townspeople were a little too over the top silly for my taste. I was (unpleasantly) reminded of a live action Doctor Seuss movie. Very unflattering depiction of small town people and also pretty confused. This is supposed to be Pennsylvania but sometimes it felt like the Midwest (or at least someone's stereotypical idea of the Midwest). The show is original from the UK, and it makes me wonder if this is how they view Americans, lol. I think film is a better medium to get across the idea of repeating days. On stage it just didn't feel as tight. And there were a lot of moments that really didn't need to be turned into songs (Young Frankenstein had the same problem). There was this one interesting addition, they gave the character Nancy her own solo number, lamenting that she's always a one night stand on some guy's way to self discovery. Beautiful number, and a point worth making, but it comes out of nowhere and doesn't really go anywhere after that. But Karl is very funny and he gets across the pathos of the character very well, especially by the second act. And they did bring up some interesting points about Phil's predicament, that he will never have another birthday, and that his cardio level never improves despite all the rushing around he does every day, lol. And the theme of the show overall about learning to live and love life to the fullest is a very inspiring one. And the audience was clearly having a good time. I'll give it a 6/10. :)
Alphagaia wrote:I saw this retweet from Paul Feig saying how the movie had the biggest audience of the year on Skymovies.

https://twitter.com/paulfeig/status/853946419304157187

Does anyone have more info on what it means?
I've never even heard of "skymovies" so who knows.
SpaceBallz wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:I saw this retweet from Paul Feig saying how the movie had the biggest audience of the year on Skymovies.

https://twitter.com/paulfeig/status/853946419304157187

I've never even heard of "skymovies" so who knows.
It's some UK movie network or something, but that's about all I got.
Last edited by Alphagaia on April 20th, 2017, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Did a quick google search. a couple of torrent looking sites pop up, so if you view any of these run a virus scan. I found another one with the name skymovie that looks like it was taken from someones cell phone camera. Also if any of these offer torrents and refuse to allow you to download unless you buy a subscription it is a scam.
JurorNo.2 wrote:I clicked on the Tweet: https://www.sky.com/. It's a telecommunications company.
Yeah, that's about as far as I got.
It's sort of a Netflix subscription thing with television channels added to the mix. One of which streams the latest movies.
Cannot find a way to verify the claim of biggest UK audience of the year though.

Erm, it means it did well on Sky Movies? :crunch:
SpaceBallz wrote:I've never even heard of "skymovies" so who knows.
Alphagaia wrote:It's some UK movie network or something, but that's about all I got.
JurorNo.2 wrote:I clicked on the Tweet: https://www.sky.com/. It's a telecommunications company.
Alphagaia wrote:Yeah, that's about as far as I got.
It's sort of a Netflix subscription thing with television channels added to the mix. One of which streams the latest movies.
Cannot find a way to verify the claim of biggest UK audience of the year though.
Guys erm are you like winding us UK viewers up? It sounds like you're joking. Everybody knows Sky! I mean I live in the UK but even I know ABC,CBS, WB, UPN etc. Please tell me you're joking?
JurorNo.2 wrote:You're way off if you think that's what Ghostbusters has ever been about. ;)
There's a huge difference between the juvenile humour of the original movie and Answer The Call. One is funny, the other not. There's nothing wrong with laughing at the juvenile humour of the 1984 movie but movies that try to look clever more often aren't when it comes to comedy. Sell juvenile humour as part of the comedy, not as the film as a whole.
JurorNo.2 wrote:There are previous generations who think you lack context. And now you're doing that to today's kids. Nothing has changed, least of all human beings.
Yes but I try to learn. I learn and appreciate the old ways of filmmaking. That is why I'm extremely conservative about stuff like CGI.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Kids are already doing that more and more today, thanks to the Internet. I'm not at all worried about that.
How do you explain this channel or videos:

JurorNo.2 wrote:Which neither of the BTTF sequels ever will. ;)
Considering both sequels are still watched and adored today you're on your lonesome there. :wink:
pferreira1983 wrote:Everybody knows Sky![ I mean I live in the UK but even I know ABC,CBS, WB, UPN etc. Please tell me you're joking?
I'm sorry but, us silly Yanks, we honestly don't know a lot about other countries' media beyond the BBC. I can't offer an excuse, that's just the way it is.

Btw, UPN doesn't exist anymore.
JurorNo.2 wrote:There's nothing wrong with laughing at the juvenile humour of the 1984 movie
In fact, there's nothing wrong with laughing at any movie you personally find amusing.
but movies that try to look clever more often aren't when it comes to comedy.
What's an example of that? I'm asking because I do want to discuss these things. I enjoy discussing movies beyond just "one is funny, one is not."
JurorNo.2 wrote:Yes but I try to learn.
You're trying to learn about the past, and that is AWESOME. Seriously. But there's nothing wrong with trying to learn about the present and future as well.
That is why I'm extremely conservative about stuff like CGI.
But people who come after you will be fascinated with CGI because it's from the past. The same way you're fascinated with the past now.
How do you explain this channel or videos:
That's like when a news channel goes out to the public and asks them history questions. They only show the dumb people who can't recognize a painting of Thomas Jefferson. They don't show you the people who could because that's not as entertaining.
Which neither of the BTTF sequels ever will. ;)Considering both sequels are still watched and adored today you're on your lonesome there. :wink:
Ehhh, not the same thing as a classic standing the test of time. Only the original BTTF currently holds that honor.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Btw, UPN doesn't exist anymore.
I know. I remember dead networks as well. Sky is a big cable/satellite network in the UK. You have to pay for it though. They also branch off into telecommunications, broadband, TV programming etc.
JurorNo.2 wrote:In fact, there's nothing wrong with laughing at any movie you personally find amusing.
If it's well written it can work if it isn't it looks desperate.
JurorNo.2 wrote:What's an example of that? I'm asking because I do want to discuss these things. I enjoy discussing movies beyond just "one is funny, one is not."
Most movies today, ATC and so on.
JurorNo.2 wrote:You're trying to learn about the past, and that is AWESOME. Seriously. But there's nothing wrong with trying to learn about the present and future as well.
I am always hesitant to accept new things because firstly they break easily :-D and secondly I don't like to hop onto the bandwagon of always accepting the latest things because it's 'new'. I like to wait and understand, see how things play out. I'm the same not just with tech but any type of media generally.
JurorNo.2 wrote:That's like when a news channel goes out to the public and asks them history questions. They only show the dumb people who can't recognize a painting of Thomas Jefferson. They don't show you the people who could because that's not as entertaining.
I mean seriously one kid and Maisie Williams thought the Nes was a VCR while one kid wondered where you plug the console into wi-fi. One kid didn't know what Zelda was even though they still make Zelda games today! It's ignorance like this that really winds me up. Want to wind me up? Show me something like that. :(
JurorNo.2 wrote:Ehhh, not the same thing as a classic standing the test of time. Only the original BTTF currently holds that honor.
Oh yeah sure no doubt but the sequels are still well regarded.
pferreira1983 wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:Btw, UPN doesn't exist anymore.
I know. I remember dead networks as well.
Ah ok cool. Yeah unfortunately it tends to go one way. Europeans/UK know a lot about American culture, but Americans only really know about their own, with some exceptions.
Sky is a big cable/satellite network in the UK. You have to pay for it though. They also branch off into telecommunications, broadband, TV programming etc.
I learned something new today! :D
Most movies today, ATC and so on.
I mean an example just in ATC.
I am always hesitant to accept new things because firstly they break easily :-D and secondly I don't like to hop onto the bandwagon of always accepting the latest things because it's 'new'. I like to wait and understand, see how things play out. I'm the same not just with tech but any type of media generally.
I've seriously always been like that too. I've just been learning to branch out more and it's really only happened recently for me.
JurorNo.2 wrote:It's ignorance like this that really winds me up. Want to wind me up? Show me something like that. :(
I'm right there with you, I can't even ever watch that video series. I get that it's meant to be funny, but to me it's just depressing, lol. That's why I try to remember it's not an entirely accurate depiction of kids.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Ah ok cool. Yeah unfortunately it tends to go one way. Europeans/UK know a lot about American culture, but Americans only really know about their own, with some exceptions.
Yeah I get that a lot, especially with video games. Why do you think Americans are like that?
JurorNo.2 wrote:I learned something new today! :D
:)
JurorNo.2 wrote:I mean an example just in ATC.
I just didn't find any of the humour funny. The Extended Cut wasn't any worse but it was just as bad. Sorry.
JurorNo.2 wrote:I've seriously always been like that too. I've just been learning to branch out more and it's really only happened recently for me.
There's a lot of pressure in culture (not just geek culture but generally) to agree with what's seen as popular views. I'm too stubborn to force myself to enjoy something I don't like. As a result I have some very unpopular views on movies and such. For instance I really can't seem to like anything Pixar or Dreamworks have done with animation. I just find all their work overrated and undeserving of praise. This goes back to me liking hand crafted effects and animation but I really enjoyed The Lego Movie. The tie-in game was great as well.
JurorNo.2 wrote:I'm right there with you, I can't even ever watch that video series. I get that it's meant to be funny, but to me it's just depressing, lol. That's why I try to remember it's not an entirely accurate depiction of kids.
I hope it isn't an accurate depiction of kids today Juror because I can't believe kids today have that total lack of knowledge about older stuff. It's supposed to be cute but it really gets on my nerves.
pferreira1983 wrote:Yeah I get that a lot, especially with video games. Why do you think Americans are like that?
Hmm, I'll get back to you on that one. I want to think about it first.
There's a lot of pressure in culture (not just geek culture but generally) to agree with what's seen as popular views.
Absolutely! It's just that I also realized that old school purists are the same way, putting pressure to always prefer "the original" and not trying something new.
For instance I really can't seem to like anything Pixar or Dreamworks have done with animation. I just find all their work overrated and undeserving of praise.
I have never seen any of the Toy Story movies. I still get incredulous looks, lol.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Hmm, I'll get back to you on that one. I want to think about it first.
I could tell you what I think but I'd much rather get an answer from someone who lives in America. I'm really interested to know why.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Absolutely! It's just that I also realized that old school purists are the same way, putting pressure to always prefer "the original" and not trying something new.
It's perhaps to do with having the right experience to handle a film or video game. Studios put more pressure today on people to be less creative and stick more to schedule. It's hard to embrace new things when the method of making movies has changed for the worse.
JurorNo.2 wrote:I have never seen any of the Toy Story movies. I still get incredulous looks, lol.
I remember feeling so angry that Toy Story, a CGI film with a lightweight plot was being seen as groundbreaking while the overlooked TV show Reboot which deserved praise was getting none. Everyone acted like they'd never seen a film like Toy Story before when Reboot had come out a year before. Still annoys me somewhat today.
pferreira1983 wrote:Just because it's a kids movie isn't an excuse especially since there was a better alternative at the time that got less praise.
The point I'm making which I'm not sure you may be fully appreciating is that by the end of November 1995 Toy Story only had one instalment in which to deliver its entire plot arc, where Reboot had had about 22 episodes (or nearly 8 and three quarter-hours) in which to deliver it's, that's a bit like comparing the character development of a novel to its movie adaptation.

Now that isn't me saying that Toy Story is the better of the two, I'd definitely side with you with ReBoot, but I think you're being a bit tougher on it than you need to be.
Alphagaia wrote:I'm not sure how that is Toy Stories fault. It's not that they praised themselves right? Blaim the praisegivers, not the movie?
You're right to an extent however Disney never went out of their way to say something like this had been done on TV did they. The whole promotion for the film was that this had never been done before.
Kingpin wrote:The point I'm making which I'm not sure you may be fully appreciating is that by the end of November 1995 Toy Story only had one instalment in which to deliver its entire plot arc, where Reboot had had about 22 episodes (or nearly 8 and three quarter-hours) in which to deliver it's, that's a bit like comparing the character development of a novel to its movie adaptation.

Now that isn't me saying that Toy Story is the better of the two, I'd definitely side with you with ReBoot, but I think you're being a bit tougher on it than you need to be.
I think I understand what you're saying but it seems as though Toy Story took the limelight meant for ReBoot and that annoys me as like you I consider the latter the better. Toy Story just feels very simplistic, they don't really make the most this simplistic concept either. The video game however knocked it out of the park. The video game was amazing I just wish it was based on more exciting source material.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

EDIT: Accidentally left out a chunk in chapter one[…]