Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By SSJmole
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Hello I was just thinking was the name pointless?

“It was basically the studio realizing for the video catalogs, and that kind of thing, [there would be] two Ghostbusters. And I didn’t want to make it like 2016,” director Paul Feig told io9 earlier this summer. “That sounded like Airport ‘77. The next year, you’re like, ‘Oh, that’s an old movie.’ I didn’t want to have to anchor with that, so they basically said they liked [Answer the Call].”

But places are still just listing it as Ghostbusters 2016 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01I1X ... SY200_QL40 see? I admit even I forget the "answer the call" part of the title.

Thus i ask is it pointless as doing it so places don't Have "ghostbusters 2016" listed as the 2016 dates it yet that's all i see.
By pferreira1983
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

SSJmole wrote:Hello I was just thinking was the name pointless?

“It was basically the studio realizing for the video catalogs, and that kind of thing, [there would be] two Ghostbusters. And I didn’t want to make it like 2016,” director Paul Feig told io9 earlier this summer. “That sounded like Airport ‘77. The next year, you’re like, ‘Oh, that’s an old movie.’ I didn’t want to have to anchor with that, so they basically said they liked [Answer the Call].”

But places are still just listing it as Ghostbusters 2016 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01I1X ... SY200_QL40 see? I admit even I forget the "answer the call" part of the title.

Thus i ask is it pointless as doing it so places don't Have "ghostbusters 2016" listed as the 2016 dates it yet that's all i see.
Considering both movies and totally different in style, story and tone yeah it wasn't pointless. It gets confusing if you have two movies called Star Trek II otherwise.
Sav C, Kingpin liked this
By SSJmole
I meant the fact "answer the call" was added so no one would say "Ghostbusters 2016" but that get used more than the actual name.
By Kingpin
timeware wrote:I still stand firm on the fact I think it sounds like a bad musical being run on the Las Vegas Strip.
You're getting confused with "Ghostbusters: Turn Off The Dark". :P
By HunterCC
They didn't even use the name "Answer the Call" in the infamous trailer (the phrase sure, but the title was just "Ghostbusters"), or any advertising I saw before the movie came out. First time I saw the name "Ghostbusters: Answer The Call", was on this forum sometime after the trailer. In the black and white promo posters of each GB16 ghostbuster, the phrase is "who you gonna call?"

Seems pointless to come up with the name "Answer the Call" if you didn't use it that much.
By Kingpin
HunterCC wrote:Seems pointless to come up with the name "Answer the Call" if you didn't use it that much.
The studio/production hadn't conceived the title when they first started promoting the film, it was a decision that came up over time when they realised they might need to make it easier to differentiate the listings of Ghostbusters merchandise/DVDs on product call sheets.
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
Commander_Jim wrote:It wouldn't have been if they used it in the first place, which they should have.
They probably didn't think it was necessary, starting out. Hindsight may be 20/20 but foresight isn't as crystal clear.
Alphagaia liked this
By pferreira1983
Kingpin wrote:He knew what you were talking about. It may seem superfluous to some, but it doesn't hurt anything, and it also gives us an abbreviation we can use on the forum: Ghostbusters '84 and ATC, etc.
Yeah but it bugs me seeing two films from a movie series with the exact same name. It's confusing in discussion especially if the original is highly regarded among movie fans.
timeware wrote:I still stand firm on the fact I think it sounds like a bad musical being run on the Las Vegas Strip.
What about Ghostbusters: The Reboot? :lol:
Alphagaia wrote:
Ha, ha! Well said although I do feel they should have used the subtitle right from the beginning.
By Kingpin
pferreira1983 wrote:Yeah but it bugs me seeing two films from a movie series with the exact same name. It's confusing in discussion especially if the original is highly regarded among movie fans.
Most folks refer to the reboot by some abbreviation or wording that makes it clear what they're talking about, and it's only as annoying as you let it be.
Sav C liked this
By Peter33vr
I saw the name Feigbusters being used. That's incorrect: they don't bust Feig but keep him in high regards!

Also that's like calling Gb84 Reitmanbusters!
By devilmanozzy
I am no more sold on the subtitle now as I was back in September when I first heard of it. Besides the listings, the box art is not supporting it other than the front. Then there are the new Collections that also don't use the title: http://www.freedvdcover.com/wp-content/ ... VD1000.jpg

The back calls the film "Ghostbusters (2016)". Spines and backs on versions of the film I have seen don't refer to it as "Ghostbusters: Answer The Call" anywhere, and only on the front it says it. Usually going with simply "Ghostbusters". That's why the collection was important to me, as it is a forced issue.

Here is my take away after all this... Ghost Corps, Paul Feig and crew are more inclined to call it "Ghostbusters: Answer The Call", while Sony is calling it "Ghostbusters (2016)". If that is the case the film will keep seeing the same labels as the (2016) one, so unless you want to disagree with the boxart the name is actually "Ghostbusters (2016)". That is where both Wikipedia and for us that run Ghostbusters Wiki have decided. The crew might really want it to be called "Ghostbusters: Answer The Call", but it won't happen til Sony starts naming it the other way.
Sav C liked this
By pferreira1983
Kingpin wrote:Most folks refer to the reboot by some abbreviation or wording that makes it clear what they're talking about, and it's only as annoying as you let it be.
I see. Well I don't abbreviate that much and at least I can call it something else apart from the reboot movie.
Sav C liked this
By SSJmole
Sav C wrote:I generally avoid abbreviations, emojis, and "made-up internet words," I'm not sure why.

Although I do use contractions, like above.
Boo you sir! Without Emojis we'd not have gotten the greatest movie billboard ever

That still make me laugh
By HunterCC
SSJmole wrote:Clearly 84 should be called "the unofficial ghostbusters" as the cartoon was the "real" version lol joking
Well.. considering the characters from GB84 and RGB were the same, unlike GB16....

Yeah to call the '84 characters the "Real" ghostbusters is a bit unfair to EGB, they had good characters too. :eduardo::kylie::garrett::roland:
By HunterCC
Kingpin wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:Yeah but it bugs me seeing two films from a movie series with the exact same name. It's confusing in discussion especially if the original is highly regarded among movie fans.
Most folks refer to the reboot by some abbreviation or wording that makes it clear what they're talking about, and it's only as annoying as you let it be.
What about when theaters showed GB84 in the theaters this year? Lol. Talk about confusion if GB16 stuck with "Ghostbusters"!

Or if you bought the access pack you get them inst[…]

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]