Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Ghostbusters 2016 was an official selection for worst screenplay I think, the rest of the categories you had to write-in.

Madea's Halloween was a close second. And I couldn't leave out the new Independence Day. :-| and we had to choose 5 in each category except for the director I think.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Thanks for the update, Pecker. Now I know not to trust the Razzies. :)
As opposed to "The People's Choice Awards" where you can vote an infinite number of times?
SpaceBallz wrote: As opposed to "The People's Choice Awards" where you can vote an infinite number of times?
Well that's true. Maybe ATC would have gotten more nominations if you could vote multiple times. Oh well. :)
Well, ATC has managed to do what no Ghostbusters movie has done before! Congrats Melissa McCarthy, winner of Best Comedic Movie Actress! :mrgreen:

They showed the wonton clip from ATC for her segment, and during her acceptance speech she joked about fighting with Kristen Wiig about them both being nominated, lol. Nice to see a new generation of comedians leaving their mark. :)

Sav C, Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:Well, ATC has managed to do what no Ghostbusters movie has done before! Congrats Melissa McCarthy, winner of Best Comedic Movie Actress! :mrgreen:
Wow, hang on. That role in Ghostbusters was her being funny? Must of missed that. :lol:
By JurorNo.2
...well wherever it's going, it's NOT going to ATC, ZERO NOMINATIONS! :mrgreen::crunch:
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote:though I saw one guy trying his best to get it nominated in all categories, while most others just shrugged and pointed to the decent reviews.
Exactly, most people just weren't all that outraged by the movie.
pferreira1983 wrote:I go across the Internet
Yeah, never do that, lol. Well, I shouldn't say that, I go across the Internet, and I've met plenty of people who enjoyed the movie. I saw people who just saw it on Starz last night who enjoyed it.
pferreira1983 wrote:When you say most people I think you mean so called 'critics'. I go across the Internet I don't know anyone who liked the movie.
The two screenings I went to had a reasonable level of attendance and reaction to the film, and they clearly can't have all been film critics.
I'm reminded of South Park's Lord of the Rings episode: "This tape makes people freak out wherever it goes!" The insanely hostile reaction some people have to this movie is just...inexplicable. Really, there's no other word for it. And I keep going back to our equally inexplicable election year. People have just literally lost their minds, on both sides.
ghostJAR liked this
Actually they didn't want any the nastiness from last year to shade their ceremony this year, something to do with business insiders or some shit. If you do a bit more research you'll notice there was plenty of "outrage" from people as to why ATC wasn't in ANY category (not even nominated in the reboot/remake category). Politics, it floods everything. You can celebrate that Melissa won a people's choice award for best comedic actress (no mention of ATC aside from her montage), it's not like the general public could vote more than once or anything...
Well here we go again, back on the awards circuit, lol. ATC was nominated for several Kids' Choice Awards:

1. Favorite Movie
2. Chris Hemsworth, Favorite Movie Actor for Ghostbusters (and yes, it specifically says it's for Ghostbusters)
3. Kristen Wiig & Melissa McCarthy, Favorite Movie Actress for Ghostbusters (Not sure why McKinnon keeps getting left out, do they not check Tumblr? ;) )
4. #SQUAD (Which seems to mean Favorite Ensemble)

http://vote.nick.com/

I'm sure Civil War will dominate but at least ATC is far from forgotten. :cool:
zeta otaku, Alphagaia liked this
Kingpin wrote:The two screenings I went to had a reasonable level of attendance and reaction to the film, and they clearly can't have all been film critics.
This reminds me of what happened with Star Wars Attack of the Clones. Everyone in my audience disliked the movie and got up and left disappointed when the credits came. I talked to a guy at college who saw it somewhere else and the audience reaction to that movie screening was the complete opposite.
And here we go again!

2017 Hugo Award Finalists Announced

Best Dramatic Presentation – Long Form (1733 ballots)
Arrival, Deadpool, Ghostbusters, Hidden Figures, Rogue One, Stranger Things

http://www.tor.com/2017/04/04/2017-hugo ... announced/
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
"Best Dramatic Presentation"?! Really?! LMAO.

Can we get a nomination for "Moonlight" for Best Comedic Presentation? Thanks.
SpaceBallz wrote:"Best Dramatic Presentation"?! Really?! LMAO.
Yeah I know, how the heck did Deadpool and Rogue One get on there???
This thread is still going? Wow. These award shows are mostly meaningless.

"OMG IT WON A PEOPLE'S AWARD WE BETTER BUY THIS HONEY!"
pferreira1983 liked this
Oh true, this thread does violate the "Everything must be miserably jaded on the Internet" rule. Not to mention the all important "ATC must not be praised without someone throwing a fit" rule. Don't worry, I'm sure it will be removed by tomorrow.

Back to reality, I was serious in my previous post, btw, I'm not sure how Deadpool or Rogue One qualify as Science Fiction. They're basically action movies. Ghostbusters does fit the bill better.
Star Wars has always been differentiated as Fantasy, rather than Sci Fi like Star Trek. But I suppose the Hugos cover that too. Thing is, Rogue One, eh, I can't even call it Fantasy, it is primarily an action movie. Idk, maybe I wouldn't mind as much if the film had engaged me, if the characters had any real moments to breath. But instead I gained a far more generous appreciation for Force Awakens than I'd had before.

And btw, to the question of the usefulness of award shows. I could recommend any number of documentaries and retrospectives where an award has made the powers that be (studios, networks, record companies, etc) sit up and take notice. Fandoms really need to get out of this sad "money is god" mentality. It's not the insider knowledge they seem to think it is.
I'm somewhere between your arguments. I agree Star Wars is essentially a fantasy story set in space, and the swords and the Force are basically space magic.
The ships, laser guns and robots however, yeah that feels very much sci fi, but when compared to Star Trek, its very lowbrow sci fi as most of it just exist without explaining, but still sci fi.
HunterCC wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Yeah I know, how the heck did Deadpool and Rogue One get on there???
How can Deadpool NOT be on that list?
Lol, awesome. Hey as Nic Cage once reportedly said about Ghost Rider, "It's a looooove story!" :mrgreen:
HunterCC liked this

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]