Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
featofstrength wrote: Ah, if only the pro-boots could spin a "victory in defeat" false reality for Hillary fans like you do for GB16...
Oh there's no victory for Hillary. For GB16? Hell, yes. Anything that challenges the tyranny of fan service is a victory. Anything that exposes the "we want originality" falsehood is a victory. :cool:
featofstrength liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Oh there's no victory for Hillary. For GB16? Hell, yes. Anything that challenges the tyranny of fan service is a victory. Anything that exposes the "we want originality" falsehood is a victory. :cool:
It's like "the Force Awakens"...but without the box office! Brilliant!
I'm gonna down a whole bunch of these and drift to sleep on the Fury Road...
featofstrength wrote:
Box office again, lol. Thanks for contributing to the dumbing down of movie analysis, everyone! :cool:

And no, Force Awakens didn't challenge anything. It would hurt itself if it tried...
JurorNo.2 wrote:
featofstrength wrote:
Box office again, lol. Thanks for contributing to the dumbing down of movie analysis, everyone! :cool:

And no, Force Awakens didn't challenge anything. It would hurt itself if it tried...
Fury Road was considered just a moderate box office success...still got nothing on the final product. :whatever:
But I get it, some people like nipple chains and freaks playing flamethrower guitars, others like middle finger and fart jokes.

As for TFA...at least there was no Darth Maul lightsaber balderdash. Oh...wait...I forgot about that one Stormtrooper with the stupid riot baton...nevermind....
timeware wrote:Now they are starting to blame the mediocre success of GB 2016 for Hillary's loss. Just looked at the main news feed. Cant wait to read the million click bait articles.
I'm really pissed that the media's blaming Trump's win on the votes of "Uneducated White Men." You by law have to go to school for 12 years, but then if you don't go to collage you're "uneducated" (regardless of whether you have a high school degree or not.) The nerve.

Oh, and also now "Uneducated White Women".
JurorNo.2 liked this
Sav C wrote:You by law have to go to school for 12 years
...because that has such a faultless track record.*

*It's not the case with everyone, but there are plenty of people who come out of the education system who may make you wonder if they went through it at all.
Sav C liked this
Kingpin wrote:
Sav C wrote:You by law have to go to school for 12 years
...because that has such a faultless track record.*

*It's not the case with everyone, but there are plenty of people who come out of the education system who may make you wonder if they went through it at all.
That's absolutely true, although I personally think that that's another type of knowledge entirely, a non-academic one that school doesn't focus on nurturing. If you're an incapable person when you come out of high school, then odds are you'll be an incapable person after leaving collage too. Either way, after twelve years of education and a degree, if you're still considered "uneducated" then there is something wrong with the education system.

Honestly I don't think the public education system's for everyone, and considering it's only 200 years old, it's odd that there are people who think it is.

Being home schooled you get a lot of people asking "How will you learn to socialize?" I think socializing comes naturally at some point, but by putting kids in school so early I think it probably hinders many of their social skills. Not everyone of course, some excel in those situations.
Personally I'm not a fan of the homeschooling idea: it's always concerned me that it may not be vetted well enough, and that there's too great a potential for the child's parents to inject their own biases/prejudices into what they'd be learning. That isn't to say that all homeschoolers do that, and that there aren't some schools that aren't being influenced by those with specific negative agendas, but when it comes to education, I prefer there to be some oversight.
deadderek liked this
There's plenty of blame to go around for the extremely poor box office for the Reboot, not just to Paul himself.
Kingpin wrote:Personally I'm not a fan of the homeschooling idea: it's always concerned me that it may not be vetted well enough, and that there's too great a potential for the child's parents to inject their own biases/prejudices into what they'd be learning. That isn't to say that all homeschoolers do that, and that there aren't some schools that aren't being influenced by those with specific negative agendas, but when it comes to education, I prefer there to be some oversight.
I see the reason for homeschooling. Especially in cities like Detroit, Chicago. Safety reasons can be a factor in this especially if you have children with disabilities that are constantly bullied and you have principals, teacher's that just don't give a shit.

If we had the massive number of liberal professors outweighing neutral teachers (and yes conservitive teachers/professors can get bias in their teachings as well) in the forties we probably would have lost World War I and II.

I'm only saying that due to the massive "spontaneous protests" that have been going on since Trump was elected. If you had today's students protesting while Japan invaded instead of enlisting who knows how things would have turned out.
Sav C liked this
Kingpin wrote:Personally I'm not a fan of the homeschooling idea: it's always concerned me that it may not be vetted well enough, and that there's too great a potential for the child's parents to inject their own biases/prejudices into what they'd be learning. That isn't to say that all homeschoolers do that, and that there aren't some schools that aren't being influenced by those with specific negative agendas, but when it comes to education, I prefer there to be some oversight.
You seem to be describing a version of homeschooling that I'm not familiar with, maybe homeschooling's different in the UK. Here there is plenty of oversight. First off you follow the public school's curriculum (which includes using the same textbooks,) therefore fulfilling the same learning outcomes, secondly a teacher comes to the house several times throughout the term to check progress and grade your work. You acquire the exact same academic knowledge as a kid in school.

Your argument about biases doesn't make sense, biases form regardless of whether a kid's in public school or not--that is a fact. Parents have a direct influence on their kids no matter what, and the odds of home schooled kids deciding to think independently of their parent's thoughts is the same as kids in school. The only thing school can do is teach about biases and stereotypes, but like I said home schooled kids have to learn that stuff too. Hey, isn't it possible parents home school their kids to shelter them from biases?

Anyways, my point was that public school works for some, maybe even many, but not all; and I believe that for some there are better alternatives such as homeschooling (although not the homeschooling you described.)
timeware wrote:I see the reason for homeschooling. Especially in cities like Detroit, Chicago. Safety reasons can be a factor in this especially if you have children with disabilities that are constantly bullied and you have principals, teacher's that just don't give a shit.
For me allergies were a deciding factor.
I'm only saying that due to the massive "spontaneous protests" that have been going on since Trump was elected.
I was thinking about that when writing my bit on biases above. Apparently kids around here started chanting "Not my president" during one class.
Last edited by Sav C on November 18th, 2016, 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
featofstrength wrote: Ah, if only the pro-boots could spin a "victory in defeat" false reality for Hillary fans like you do for GB16...
Honest question what did Ghostbusters 16 do that was original other than swap genitals and dumb down the guys?

Just as a funny thought hey let's blame the reboot for Hillary's defeat too LOL.
HunterCC wrote:Honest question what did Ghostbusters 16 do that was original
I'd say Erin's preoccupation with ridicule. Whereas that wasn't really as big a concern for the original characters.
Just as a funny thought hey let's blame the reboot for Hillary's defeat too LOL.
Don't look at me, I didn't like either candidate. Still don't. In an ideal world, everyone would have boycotted this election entirely. But unfortunately, people have a desperate need to belong to groups.
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
The only/all the guys are dumb trope again is exactly what I mean when people just throw in a half-truth for the dozenth time to dump on the movie.
Have we not pointed enough times to the smart men in the movie (Erin's dean, Ed Mulgrave, the Tour guy, Patties uncle, Rowan, newsanchors and the dumb things the GB do like testing equipment on the go, Erin's troubles with doors and the hotel guest accepting slime in a doorpost as leakage from the airco?

Why can we not get past this?
JurorNo.2 wrote:
HunterCC wrote:Honest question what did Ghostbusters 16 do that was original
I'd say Erin's preoccupation with ridicule. Whereas that wasn't really as big a concern for the original characters.
Don't look at me, I didn't like either candidate. Still don't. In an ideal world, everyone would have boycotted this election entirely. But unfortunately, people have a desperate need to belong to groups.
Yeah, I voted Johnson, just out of disgust for the others.
JurorNo.2 liked this
Commander_Jim wrote:Sure, why not? Whats wrong with incorporating some of the better stuff from the EU into the main canon? They already did it with Coruscant. Im not seeing the issue. Personally I could live without any of the EU being incorporated, but Im not going to complain if they want to base a character on Thrawn so long as it doesnt have to include other EU crap like Luke falling in love with a computer or Darth Vader's magic glove.
What's wrong? They went out of their way to ignore the EU and now they're ransacking it because they don't have one original idea themselves. So I ask either dump the EU totally or adapt it faithfully. Pretty much everything from 1991-1999 was gold in my opinion.
Commander_Jim wrote:Yes, Im sure Rogue One will be crap because they didnt base it on a 20 year old video game.
Yet the video game will still be better.
Kingpin wrote:Unfortunately I suspect the reality was that the EU had gotten too big (and at times too convoluted). There's plenty of good stuff, but you'd always have people being unhappy with what bits they did choose to employ and didn't... and while it'd still rub plenty of people the wrong way to ditch it all, it was probably the least hassle for them to just ditch it all.
But they didn't ditch it, they stole from it and twisted everything. At least come up with something original that isn't terrible.
Sav C wrote:Is all of the EU stuff still in print?
It's under 'Legends' whatever that means.
Kingpin wrote:Plus, constant clones and genetic offspring of the Emperor? Oodles and oodles of super-weapons (I know, I know) and ginormous ships? The EU got out of control with the authors trying to on-up each other, and George.
The irony is that most of the new EU will be turned into 'Legends' the next time another company gets hold of the franchise. At least that's good.
Sav C liked this

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]