Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By PaulyShoreRules
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
GOOD THING the remake flopped in the US and around the world.

with the GB remake being a big flop to kill the franchise, Sometimes it's better to kill something than to let it suffer and should leave well enough alone.

Ghostbusters by now is like a wounded, half-dead animal and has been for the last 20 years especially for 25 since Real Ghostbusters ended and we had only one sequel to the classic film for 27 because the only good thing that came out in that time frame since GB 2 and Real Ghostbusters ended for the last 20 years for the Franchise was the 2009 video game and the comics/graphic novels plus Halloween costumes and merchandise at some stores.

Everything else? Extreme Ghostbusters was ok, All the other video games (that Extreme Ghostbusters GBA game, Sanctum of Slime or the new one they just released) are horrendous. No movies came out. Nothing else good came out. This unfunny, juvenile, poorly written, poorly paced, tasteless, sexist to men (the extreme man-hating?) , stereotypical and braindead Adam Sandler-esque piece of junk remake that is a disgrace to the originals that breaks the rules and stuff and is a soulless cash-grab without a smart well written script like the original movie which had a brilliant intelligent script, this movie's script goes for lowest common denominator writing, bad CGI, braindead humor (even queef jokes which isn't funny) and poor pacing. The original was about quality filmmaking with a brilliant well written smart mature script, nice practical effects and passion, this remake is just corporate studio lowest common denominator filmmaking that feels more like a parody/a horrible MadTV (after MadTV was good but became unfunny and badly made) and SNL sketch than a film, i don't think this movie deserves the name "Ghostbusters" as should had been called "Ghost Movie" like Scary Movie as it felt like a parody of GBs than an actual movie . Not to mention Paul Feig had no passion for this project as he was just selected by Sony because Bridesmaids and The Heat were hits yet those were good well done R-rated comedies, this one isn't. He had no passion as he did it for the paycheck and wasn't even a fan of GBs in the first place and even Bill Murray wanted nothing to do with this project as his cameo had him commiting suicide and the cameos by the original cast were un-necessary that don't add up to this movie and the villain was poor compared to Gozer and Viggo and the script is *beep* as hell. plus it missed the point of what Ghostbusters really is, it means busting ghosts like cops would bust criminals then catch them here they just destroy them. Not to mention the lifeless poorly written banal script this movie has and an insult to the franchise even with the Ghostbusters logo as the monster but getting it's balls blasted, more like ballbusters is more like it like Ocpcommunications said in his rant/review. The original was about passion and love in good filmmaking, this one is a corporate cash-grab for money nothing more.

Even Kyle on Extreme Ghostbusters and Janine are better smarter ladies than these female GB buffons who don't act like scientists and are airheads compared to those two, Janine for example has beauty and brains in her head as she liked Egon not just for his looks but his brains and she has a high IQ yet helped GBs sometimes.

My pick for worst film of the year 2016 and worst script of the year.

I'm glad it flopped as it's time for Hollywood not to mess with some things of the past as it's not the 80's anymore and let them stay in the past only to be cherished/loved by generations an stick new fresh cinematic IPs like John Wick, Jack Reacher, Marvel Studios,Equalizer, Bourne and so on. Jud in Pet Sematary did said "Sometimes dead is better!" and sometimes let sleeping dogs lie.

Hollywood needs to focus on making good films and new franchises like what i mentioned, not digging up old faves and desperately mangling the corpses into some focus-group poorly written poorly directed approved abortion of a remake. This franchise also died with Harold Ramis and they should stop milking a dead cow and let it rest in peace and have Sony be shut down or come up with new franchises. This will be forgotten in a year and the original to be loved/cherished by generations to come on what good filmmaking is and what good screenplay writing is all about.

Ghostbusters is best left alone. If Ramis was still with us then a third film might have been worthwhile, but they should have made it years ago like the 1990s or early 2000s, and now that he's gone so has Ghostbusters. Stealing the names of beloved properties just encourages creative laziness, studios need to rediscover the creative spirit that birthed great films/series, not keep recycling past glories.

Give it up Aykroyd like you did with Blues Brothers 2000.
HunterCC, TK5759, deadderek and 5 others liked this
By PaulyShoreRules
Fine if some liked this movie, be my guest, but to me, i totally despised this movie and believe GBs should be left alone and let it die only for the memory of the original movie to be loved/cherished to see what good filmmaking is all about.
chaoslantern, Merrimon liked this
By PaulyShoreRules
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
The point of this thread is why the film flopped and why GBs should be left alone to die only for the original's memories to be loved/cherished and for Hollywood not to be lazy and come up with new fresh franchises.
HunterCC liked this
By EJLambert
But Ghostbusters isn't dead. There's a cartoon, an animated movie, a VR game, several theme park attractions and more coming out. There's also never been more merchandise out that we didn't have to mail out for not to mention that for the first time ever that fan franchises are actually getting recognition from the studio.
Alphagaia, devilmanozzy, JurorNo.2 and 6 others liked this
By philmorgan81
EJLambert wrote:But Ghostbusters isn't dead. There's a cartoon, an animated movie, a VR game, several theme park attractions and more coming out. There's also never been more merchandise out that we didn't have to mail out for not to mention that for the first time ever that fan franchises are actually getting recognition from the studio.
That's what I was thinking. Until the reboot this year I hadn't met anyone that hated any of the Ghostbusters films. :)
PaulyShoreRules wrote:The point of this thread is why the film flopped and why GBs should be left alone to die only for the original's memories to be loved/cherished and for Hollywood not to be lazy and come up with new fresh franchises.
Oh yeah it seems pretty clear that the film is underperforming. We will have to see how well the DVDs sell before we get a full idea of just how bad. Honestly I think the franchise will never die. Especially if it survives this Remake. I was a bit disappointed in the movie, but at this point I really don't want the franchise left alone. I would rather the studio learn from this film, and maybe do something a whole lot better the next time they attempt a live action film. :):):) I look forward to Ecto Force and what that might bring. I hope they move forward on that animated feature. I have no doubt that ATC will grow on me some day when something better comes along. Extreme Ghostbusters grew on me after Ghostbusters The Video Game came out. After that I got real excited to see Kyle make a return to the franchise in the comics. :):):)
JurorNo.2, Kingpin liked this
By scythemantis
I can't even stand to read your post. It's an overblown, hyperbolic hate-rant with all the childishly over-the-top bile you could pour into it and not an ounce of thought. Ghostbusters 2016 is clearly at least an OKAY film, but it's even clearer that you got suckered in by the "controversy," picked an arbitrary side and were already prepared to despise the movie out of blind bias before you ever bothered to think rationally.

This will probably be locked soon because from your very first post you come across as just an inflammatory jerk over a mere piece of entertainment.

Get the hell over it.

The only reason this movie "flopped" is that 1) the trailers misrepresented it and 2) most of the world doesn't really care that much about Ghostbusters. It hasn't had a steady cartoon or toy line and that's the only reason remakes of things like TMNT and Transformers get any money at all.
devilmanozzy, JurorNo.2, EJLambert and 4 others liked this
By LandoSystem
No one should ever be criticized for liking the things they like.

I think the brand survives on the goodwill of the first film and RGB and I doubt it will ever really go away. I think that's why so many of the new products we're seeing have Stay Puft or Slimer or the logo and not Leslie Jones. Even Ecto Force is reported to be set in the future to literally distance itself from the reboot.

I also feel that Sony has mishandled the property since season 2 of RGB. Sony is just terrible at franchises. They're so concerned with commercializing the property they don't understand how or why things succeed. See also: Spider-Man, Adam Sandler films.
barison82 liked this
By devilmanozzy
scythemantis wrote: The only reason this movie "flopped" is that 1) the trailers misrepresented it and 2) most of the world doesn't really care that much about Ghostbusters. It hasn't had a steady cartoon or toy line and that's the only reason remakes of things like TMNT and Transformers get any money at all.
Also, the lack of a release in China played a big part in the numbers also. TMNT OotS made $58,933,101 in china with America it had a performance of $82,051,601.
The American performance of GB2016 ended up being $128,150,608. I'm pretty sure GB2016 would have done the 72 million that is claimed to be the loss if it had been released there.

And to make matters worse, realize that China pretty much is killing it because it is a ghost related movie. That kills everything Ghostbusters no matter what the script or people involved are. So unless you hate all things Ghostbusters you should not be a happy about it. The brand has no chance as a film in the current climate. :sigh:
JurorNo.2 liked this
By Commander_Jim
scythemantis wrote:Most of the world doesn't really care that much about Ghostbusters.
The amount of backlash against the film says otherwise. Theres no reason at all that a GB movie done properly could have been a blockbuster hit. And that was never going to be a Paul Feig/Melissa McCarthy comedy. Its those two names that kept audiences away (outside of their own built in fanbase), not the Ghostbuster name.
pferreira1983 liked this
By JurorNo.2
devilmanozzy wrote:And to make matters worse, realize that China pretty much is killing it because it is a ghost related movie. That kills everything Ghostbusters no matter what the script or people involved are. So unless you hate all things Ghostbusters you should not be a happy about it. The brand has no chance as a film in the current climate. :sigh:
Agreed, fans were very short sighted to cheer on China for that. (Of course any support of the Chinese government is disturbing!)

And I imagine it wasn't just the ghost thing. GB16 relied more on dialogue than your average CGI blockbuster, making it difficult to translate. Humor is even harder to translate.
By JurorNo.2
PaulyShoreRules wrote:GBs should be left alone to die only for the original's memories to be loved/cherished
So you want to hug a corpse, basically. Oddly appropriate...

This is kinda what I meant the other day when I said fans let a movie become too precious to them. There's a reason Tolkien chose that word for Gollum.
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
By JurorNo.2
featofstrength wrote:I hope it means Dan will be doing more US vodka tours...I would be glad for that.
What did you mean by this exactly?
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
By featofstrength
JurorNo.2 wrote:
featofstrength wrote:I hope it means Dan will be doing more US vodka tours...I would be glad for that.
I would like to see Dan on the road again. His tours have been sporadic or contained to Canada for some time. I assume it had something to do with the movie year. I would get tired of the reboot/GB3 questions...maybe now that it's died down a lil, back to business as usual? I got an update that he's in PA this weekend.
By JurorNo.2
featofstrength wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
I would like to see Dan on the road again. His tours have been sporadic or contained to Canada for some time. I assume it had something to do with the movie year. I would get tired of the reboot/GB3 questions...maybe now that it's died down a lil, back to business as usual? I got an update that he's in PA this weekend.
Fair enough, I'm sorry if I made any assumptions (given the tone of the OP post).
By savintheday
featofstrength wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
http://abc27.com/2016/10/17/dan-aykroyd ... on-friday/
Like 20 minutes away from me! I'm kicking myself because I have work that day...maybe I'll come in late. But honestly, I'd be way too nervous to meet him. I'd either just clam up and awkwardly stare at him or start stammering like an idiot. :lol:
JurorNo.2 liked this
By JurorNo.2
savintheday wrote:
featofstrength wrote:
http://abc27.com/2016/10/17/dan-aykroyd ... on-friday/
Like 20 minutes away from me! I'm kicking myself because I have work that day...maybe I'll come in late. But honestly, I'd be way too nervous to meet him. I'd either just clam up and awkwardly stare at him or start stammering like an idiot. :lol:
That's how I always feel about autograph signings. But I'm sure they're used to fans being nervous. Maybe if you have a question planned before hand that could help with the awkward stare thing.
savintheday liked this
By PaulyShoreRules
It's just the script is as awful as any recent Adam Sandler movie and such a poorly written unfunny script.

Sony needs to leave this franchise alone is what i'm saying and let sleeping dogs lie as it died with Harold.
By Raystantz Italy
I'm glad it flopped too, but an entire long ranted post seems to much to me. It's true, now that it is come and gone I can say it: it's only a movie.

We can play the "guess what?" game.

The franchise is not dead: comic books, animated movies and series....even another live action who Reitman said "is coming along very nicely". So.....guess what the future will give us?

I have a guess: they'll go the animated route for a couple of years to let the storm quiet down and to distance every other live action movie from this one. Then they'll go with a more proper sequel who maybe tie all together.
pferreira1983 liked this
By DarkSpectre
I'm just ready for things to quiet down and get back on track. Am I glad it flopped, eh, at first I was. I feel more open towards it now that it was a failure and won't become the new face and world of the franchise, (not that I'll be rushing out to buy a copy of it or anything) but it's more disheartening how many people I no longer associate with now thanks to this film. That fact just plain sucks. That we all let something as trivial and stupid as this film divide us to the core. No one is blameless. Be it those who police every negative opinion to those who spout facts against it. All in all we got another film. Some really like it, some hate it's existence but in general it was just a weakly received film that didn't accomplish what they studio wanted. If it got new fans interested in the franchise, then it did it's job.
By JurorNo.2
DarkSpectre wrote:won't become the new face and world of the franchise
That was never going to happen.

I can't say I don't understand because I've had that same worry before, over other properties. I just came to realize that it something's a classic, it will remain so, and there's no reason to feel so threatened. I'm going to take a page from Spock here, "History is filled with turning points. We must have faith, that the universe will unfold as it should."

So many other movies, so many other reboots, heck so many other real life problems deserved the bashing this movie got. And yet they will never get it. Something went very wrong this year. Very wrong. I can only have faith that there must be a reason for all this.
Clifton Sleigh liked this
By JurorNo.2
scythemantis wrote:I'd have absolutely wanted it to be the new face of the series, it was excellent, and not a bit like an "Adam Sandler movie," come on. The humor felt like the same exact style of dry dialog/character-driven comedy as the first film.

I maintain that most dislike people have for it is superficial.
If people seriously think this movie bares any resemblance to Big Daddy or Scooby Doo, there is no reasoning them out of it.

I agree, having seen it again recently, a lot of the dialogue could fit in well with an 80s comedy. Not all of it mind you. But it's nowhere near the trainwreck people seem to need it to be.
By RichardLess
scythemantis wrote:I'd have absolutely wanted it to be the new face of the series, it was excellent, and not a bit like an "Adam Sandler movie," come on. The humor felt like the same exact style of dry dialog/character-driven comedy as the first film.

I maintain that most dislike people have for it is superficial.
Hold on a second. Did you just say the humour was the same? What humour is that? I can't remember a joke that landed in the reboot.

Seriously though the films use two very different styles of comedy. The reboot uses the Judd Apatow/Seth Rogen obvious improv routine where a character always seems to have to say something witty. Here's a good example that I'm stealing from someone else. In the original film when the Police officer drops off Louis Tully and Janine answers "Dropping off or picking up?" Nonchalantly, remember that? Well the scene plays dry. The joke is what it is. When Egon comes out to examine him, we get " You know you're a real humanitarian" and Egon replies, matter of factly "I don't think he's human". In the reboot we would see Egon walking out the door and making non stop improv jokes. In the original the scene has a purpose and a small laugh.

The reboot also has stupid proton pack prat falls, the loud mouth, street wise black lady. The jokes aren't subtle or character based. When Egon says he collects "Spores, mould and fungus" it's funny because it's in character. The only character that quips is Venkman, because that's who he is. He's a game show host. In the reboot the only character work I could see was for Holtzman. Other than that it was just a joke for jokes sake. It's not character based. While it's true there was improv on the original Ghostbusters set, you can't tell it's improv. The reboot? I can tell when they are riffing and when they are not. It's like breaking the 4th wall.

For a record I enjoy the Apatow/Rogen style from time to time. I just don't think it works in a Ghostbusters movie. It usually works in rated R material, not PG-13.

Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters: ATC are very different comedy films. One uses smart, witty humour with a bit of raunchy stuff. The other? Well the other isn't funny at all.
Last edited by RichardLess on October 18th, 2016, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seekandannoy, TK5759, pferreira1983 and 1 others liked this
By Commander_Jim
I feel the same way as DarkSpectre. Now that its come and gone and has practically no chance of being part of GB's future, I find it a lot easier to enjoy and to just file it away alongside Extreme Ghostbusters as a curiosity within the franchise. Meabwhile with all the new GB merchandise (all for the original films) coming out it feels like the franchise is returning to normal.
scythemantis wrote:The humor felt like the same exact style of dry dialog/character-driven comedy as the first film.
Seriously?
Last edited by Commander_Jim on October 18th, 2016, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceBallz, seekandannoy, DarkSpectre and 2 others liked this
By JurorNo.2
Commander_Jim wrote:Now that its come and gone and has practically no chance of being part of GB's future, I find it a lot easier to enjoy
Don't do us any favors.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]