Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
HunterCC wrote:
Sav C wrote:Please forgive me as I'm not on Twitter so I don't understand it well, but isn't that Morgan guy tweeting about what Feig said, not the other way around?
You may be right, but crying misogyny is still Feig's "go to" defense in this whole mess. Feig is replying to something.
Yeah, but for the most part I think he is justified in doing so. A lot of the hate directed at the reboot was sexist, so that deserves to be called out as so, don't ya think? Feig is probably right in calling Piers a misogynist. I mean it is just an assumption if Feig is only going by that tweet, but Feig may know a lot more about the guy as to make that judgement. From Pier's remark we can most likely assume he is a sexist.

Feig may have dismissed valid criticisms about ATC, but to my knowledge he didn't dismiss valid criticisms as sexist. Still, just because a criticism is valid, it doesn't make it constructive. I'd be willing to bet money Feig didn't dismiss constructive criticism.
Last edited by Sav C on January 23rd, 2017, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JurorNo.2, Kingpin liked this
Sav C wrote:Feig is probably right in calling Piers a misogynist.
I have no idea if Piers is a misogynist, but he is a notorious bully, not especially known for his skills in constructive criticism, lol.
Sav C liked this
Yeah, but for the most part I think he is justified in doing so. A lot of the hate directed at the reboot was sexist, so that deserves to be called out as so, don't ya think? Feig is probably right in calling Piers a misogynist. I mean it is just an assumption if Feig is only going by that tweet, but Feig may know a lot more about the guy as to make that judgement. From Pier's remark we can most likely assume he is a sexist.

Feig may have dismissed valid criticisms about ATC, but to my knowledge he didn't dismiss valid criticisms as sexist. Still, just because a criticism is valid, it doesn't make it constructive. I'd be willing to bet money Feig didn't dismiss constructive criticism.
He could have taken the high road on this. Whether we like it or not Feig is a representation of this fandom in some kind of form. He's not doing us any favors by continuing the "everyone who disagrees with my work is a sexist routine" People are going to assume even more so that all male GB fans are sexist through this twitter war. Morgan isn't doing us any favors here either.

Until his next work he still plans on representing Ghostbusters, or at least his version of it. I think it's time he grew up a little bit.
timeware wrote:
He could have taken the high road on this. Whether we like it or not Feig is a representation of this fandom in some kind of form. He's not doing us any favors by continuing the "everyone who disagrees with my work is a sexist routine" People are going to assume even more so that all male GB fans are sexist through this twitter war. Morgan isn't doing us any favors here either.

Until his next work he still plans on representing Ghostbusters, or at least his version of it. I think it's time he grew up a little bit.
We don't need Feig to prove our fanbase has got problems, lol.
timeware wrote:He could have taken the high road on this. Whether we like it or not Feig is a representation of this fandom in some kind of form. He's not doing us any favors by continuing the "everyone who disagrees with my work is a sexist routine" People are going to assume even more so that all male GB fans are sexist through this twitter war. Morgan isn't doing us any favors here either.

Listen, I'm not a huge fan of Feig's, (and I'm not even a feminist (well at least I wouldn't call myself one),) but I fail to see how he's saying everyone who disagrees with his work is sexist. If I see some proof of him calling someone with constructive criticism towards the reboot sexist, then I'll happily change my views on him.

I agree Morgan is certainly not doing us, or anyone, any favors. The thing is, Paul didn't call Morgan a misogynist for saying the reboot tanked or whatnot. He didn't even bring Ghostbusters into it, unless you're thinking of the dickless part of his comment. Morgan was the one who brought up GB first, and I'm not sure if Feig replied to that.
JurorNo.2 wrote:We don't need Feig to prove our fanbase has got problems, lol.
Ha, good point.
Last edited by Sav C on January 23rd, 2017, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
I stand by that statment. :roland:
Paul wasn't specific about what group of males he labeled as dickless misogynists. Morgan yes brought up Ghostbusters. One would take from that argument that Paul is referring to all male GB fans as dickless misogynists. That is a famous line from the movie as Alpha used to joke about Morgan just a couple of posts ago. Paul has a history of not being specific about groups he disagrees with.
The womens march consisted of a vast, large majority of extreme feminists that share his values and he seems more often enough to jump to their defense. While yes the march was mainly peaceful again some of their rhetoric was hardly civil. Ive done a little reading into who organized it and it is very interesting.
He wasn't specific* (this is Twitter, after all), but assuming any remark he makes about misogynists is intended for us/you starts to border on a persecution complex.

He jumped to their defence because there was an odious little newspaper hack who suggested (seriously, or in jest) that maybe he should organise a parade for his wounded male pride.
The women's march consisted of a portion of the population who had been very recently demeaned by remarks made by the man who was recently elected President of the United States. It sent a rather powerful, and unpleasant message to have someone being so disrespectful to women elected to the highest office in the land, where he can influence policies that directly and indirectly affect them on a multitude of issues.
I can't say I blame them for wanting to show they heard what he said, and that they're not just going to sit idly by.

I acknowledge as a guy you may not fully be able to appreciate what they're going through, but not all feminism is this evil bogeyman some have remarked at length on. The women's suffrage and campaign for the vote was feminism.

*Though really, I think we can infer who he was referring to: knuckle draggers like Piers Morgan.
JurorNo.2, Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
Persecution complex is a bit much.
Feig could have easily responded in kind by asking for reasonable men to stand with him. I wouldn't have taken issue with his response.

While yes there were real women hurt by Trumps comments if you actually watched it you would see Alec Baldwin, Ashley Judd, and Madonna saying some pretty vile things in response. Ive mentioned that some of the things that Trump has said bothered me, but lets not kid ourselves that this march wasnt an organized event. Some real people showed up sure, but buses and real money went into this.

I don't view all feminism as evil, but weve certainly had our share fare of it during the summer from groups like FF. A lot of it was definitely uncalled for.
There are certainly extreme feminists out there, I won't try and deny that. But that can pretty much be said for people of any belief. Lots of people take things to extremes, and as far as I'm concerned that is not a good thing.

But the people in the women's march simply want (or at least want to maintain) respect and equal rights! Those are entirely reasonable requests. While there may be extreme feminists at the marches, there is nothing extreme about their requests. As long as they go about their protests peacefully, I support the causes that this specific march stands for. I believe everyone should be allowed as many rights as possible as long as their rights do not infringe on the rights and safeties of others.

I don't like the people are going after Nicole Kidman because of her saying "He’s now elected and we as a country need to support whoever is president because that’s what the country’s based on." They are being extreme. I agree that Trump deserves a fair shot at the presidency, I mean he's the president so I can only hope he does great things. But back to the point, those are the people you should be going after, not the entire women's march. Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch.
I'm all for women's rights.
There's a pro life march on Friday.
If this is a touchy subject I wont get into it other then that. Paul can prove to me he stands for all women if he defends them with his twitter account. The media heads will say some pretty nasty things about them during their march and try to minimize the event by lying about crowd numbers. If this happens i'll be the first to defend Paul if the left go after him on it.

While these protesters want their rights to choose I think women who want to be pro life shouldn't be treated any different.
I agree they shouldn't be treated differently. I'll say this (and this can be it from me since like you said it's a touchy subject), being pro life goes against my feeling that everyone should have as many rights as possible, as long as their rights do not infringe on the rights and safeties of other people. Abortion does not infringe on the rights and safeties of others, therefore I'm pro choice.
Kingpin liked this
A parade/gathering of that size has to have some degree of organisation - it's what helps to make things move as smoothly as possible, and create as much security both the participants and for the place they're marching as possible. Pride marches and events involve a lot of organisation, as do other civil rights events, it doesn't mean that most of people involved aren't believers in the march, or that the money was paid/donated for cynical reasons.

As an aside: Will every cast member and director before the reboot and going forward now be subjected to a strict ideological study now? That's going to be exhausting.
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
A strange game.
The only winning move is not to play.

Let's see if people understand why I chose this absolutely awesome clip from this dated but awesome movie that was ahead of it's time and why it's actually aiding Feigs view instead of saying he should be quiet about his beliefs.
Kingpin liked this
timeware wrote:Depends on how the director/actors conduct themselves outside of the movie. If you're going to use a franchise to promote political issues and not expect scrutiny that isn't possible.
Are you a fan of the Mad Max franchise? The first 3 films were typically male dominant action films. Then came Mad Max: Fury Road

Mad Max Fury Road is a feminist movie thru and thru. It's also a reboot(kind of). Have you seen Fury Road? It's one of the best action movies made within the last 10-15 years. It was nominated for 10 Academy Awards and won 6. Recieved 97% on rottentomatoes. It's a great movie with feminist themes.

I loathed GB2016 because it was a poorly done film period. But these types of things can be done well. Now I guess it isn't exactly the same since Max wasn't recast as a woman but Max is not the main character in his own movie. Charlize Theron as Furiosa is the main and most important character. This stuff about feminism and Paul Feig inserting his politics into a GB is just silly. I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out, if so my apologies, but GB84 is a somewhat politically motivated movie. It is. The EPA and government intervention on small business plays a massive role in the film's main human antagonist. GB2 is also a somewhat political movie "being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorkers God given right"-the mayor of New York.
Feminism is a GOOD thing. The world needs it. A feminist Ghostbusters movie is fine by me, and should be fine with anyone, so long as the movie is good.
Alphagaia, Sav C, Kingpin liked this
I've just seen bits and pieces of the first mad max. Have not seen any actually.
My beef with Paul is he didn't stand up for women who were attacked by extreme feminists since the movie was announced. Never called them out.

If he's silent when the media attacks conservative feminists during the march his claim to fighting for women's rights kind of becomes hypocrisy at this point.Feminism is good when it's not one sided.
timeware wrote:I've just seen bits and pieces of the first mad max. Have not seen any actually.
My beef with Paul is he didn't stand up for women who were attacked by extreme feminists since the movie was announced. Never called them out.

If he's silent when the media attacks conservative feminists during the march his claim to fighting for women's rights kind of becomes hypocrisy at this point.Feminism is good when it's not one sided.
He's not a consverative though, he's clearly a liberal. Why Would he support them? why does he have to stand up for women who were attacked by extreme feminist(if there is such a thing)? He's not an elected official. He's just a comedy filmmaker. He made a crap GB reboot. I'm not sure his political leanings are relevant to the GB remake, are they? He's just another liberal in Hollywood.
timeware wrote: My beef with Paul is he didn't stand up for women who were attacked by extreme feminists since the movie was announced. Never called them out.
Again, if those women were being jerks about the movie (and I did encounter a few who were), then they don't deserve a defense.

And not picking on you specifically, but discussion is really stagnating on this board when we bring up the same stuff again and again.
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
I can see why your saying it's getting old that I brought this up again.Pauls recent twitter war with that idiot Morgan brought out solid proof Feig only wants to stand up for a group of certain feminists. It became relevant again.

When he claimed he was fighting for gender pay equality and wanting to hire more women in hollywood one would think he'd mean all women. His constant siding with liberal causes contradicts him.

Some women were jerks but there were women who were very civil in comments sections from you tube, and articles that came out who Paul seemed to pass over when groups like FF went after them. Not one statement asking them to keep it civil.

He's a director sure but he used 2016 to come off like he's some kind of civil rights leader. He could prove me wrong on Friday and i'll be the first to admit i'm wrong about him. Still won't change the fact I don't care for the man.
So too, I suspect, is the topic. Three months on and we're not really any closer to proving one way or another (though personally I believe it's leaning more towards proven not to have been manufactured than it was), feminism and how much influence it had on the film is still an issue for some, and some folks definitely feel pretty strongly on that, while we're now stuck repeating the same sound bites.

It's time for a change methinks, and I'll be nice to have Ecto Force to provide some new discussion, not to mention it's about time we got the prop topics buzzing again. :)

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]