Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Kingpin
pferreira1983 wrote:I don't mind annoying people here if it brings some sanity to the forum.
The forum generally take s a low view on users intentionally disrupting discussion just to improve their own user experiences here. You may feel the current state of the forum is "insane", but your difference of opinion doesn't automatically make you right pferreira. I appreciate you making the admission, as it gives new insight into circumstances where discussions have become enflamed or instigated by your remarks... suffice to say this can be considered an official warning that if there are any future incidents, your access to the reboot forum will be rescinded.
JurorNo.2, Alphagaia, Sav C and 1 others liked this
By pferreira1983
Kingpin wrote:The forum generally take s a low view on users intentionally disrupting discussion just to improve their own user experiences here. You may feel the current state of the forum is "insane", but your difference of opinion doesn't automatically make you right pferreira. I appreciate you making the admission, as it gives new insight into circumstances where discussions have become enflamed or instigated by your remarks... suffice to say this can be considered an official warning that if there are any future incidents, your access to the reboot forum will be rescinded.
So essentially I'm not allowed to be a difference of opinion that could be right just because you disagree with me. Now why does that feel wrong? :roll:

And yeah if I annoy people with a different opinion then I'm glad because everyone should be treated as an individual instead of everyone acting like yes men. What you say is exactly the kind of approach to treating people that I tackle. Your way or the highway as it were. not fair on people with a different opinion. I would never go out of my way to cause trouble here but I will argue my points the same as everyone else does. Any censorship is essentially listening to your own views instead of a variety of views and then you end up proving my point perfectly. Please try keep that in mind thanks.
By Styrofoam_Guy
There is discussion and different opinions and then there it trolling.

The words you chose is not conductive to a healthy debate but seems to be designed to enrage others.

Maybe you are not aware that you are doing it. Maybe you should re-read what you write before you post.

It has gotten to the point where if I see a post from you I will automatically know the tone of the post. I get that you did not like GB:ATC but you are sounding like a broken record saying how terrible the movie is every chance you get.

pferreira1983 wrote:
Kingpin wrote:The forum generally take s a low view on users intentionally disrupting discussion just to improve their own user experiences here. You may feel the current state of the forum is "insane", but your difference of opinion doesn't automatically make you right pferreira. I appreciate you making the admission, as it gives new insight into circumstances where discussions have become enflamed or instigated by your remarks... suffice to say this can be considered an official warning that if there are any future incidents, your access to the reboot forum will be rescinded.
So essentially I'm not allowed to be a difference of opinion that could be right just because you disagree with me. Now why does that feel wrong? :roll:

And yeah if I annoy people with a different opinion then I'm glad because everyone should be treated as an individual instead of everyone acting like yes men. What you say is exactly the kind of approach to treating people that I tackle. Your way or the highway as it were. not fair on people with a different opinion. I would never go out of my way to cause trouble here but I will argue my points the same as everyone else does. Any censorship is essentially listening to your own views instead of a variety of views and then you end up proving my point perfectly. Please try keep that in mind thanks.
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
pferreira1983 wrote:So essentially I'm not allowed to be a difference of opinion that could be right just because you disagree with me.
Forum members are allowed to have differing opinions about something, and we've had plenty of people post critically about the film without getting into the same "looking down their nose" tone that you've given off in multiple instances in critiquing the reboot, or those who defend it. If a person isn't being intentionally disruptive in voicing their difference of opinion, or being a dick about it, they're welcome here.
pferreira1983 wrote:I would never go out of my way to cause trouble here but I will argue my points the same as everyone else does.
Except we both know you have gone out of your way, the Boston filming location is a perfect example of dragging a talking point to the point of inanity, and several of your posts have been reported over the past several months. This isn't some conspiracy to silence you, you just do a piss poor job at making anyone like you.

You wouldn't be the first person to complain about censorship when they don't get their way on the forum, but you need to keep in mind that being a member of this forum is a privilege, not a right, and what you post is subject to the forum rules. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts, and lock or delete topics where they feel it's appropriate.

To somewhat paraphrase Styrofoam_Guy: how much longer do you feel the need to complain about the reboot? Most other folks who post about it critically make a single post and are then done, having gotten the complaint out of their system.
Sav C, Alphagaia, deadderek and 1 others liked this
By Sav C
@Kingpin I'm glad I wasn't being disruptive.

@pferriea1983 You have a habit of reviving discussions multiple times, even once everyone has moved on. The opinions which you state remain the same almost every time, and therefore it is nonconstructive. I'm not saying you have to change your mind on stuff, but sometimes, if you don't mind my suggestion, it might help if you at least developed a further understanding of your opinions. When you bring up a subject that we are no longer interested in, and the subject brings nothing new to the table (and it results in having the exact same things said every time), that's no fun for the rest of us.
Alphagaia, Kingpin, pferreira1983 and 1 others liked this
By pferreira1983
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:Maybe you are not aware that you are doing it. Maybe you should re-read what you write before you post.

It has gotten to the point where if I see a post from you I will automatically know the tone of the post. I get that you did not like GB:ATC but you are sounding like a broken record saying how terrible the movie is every chance you get.
I understand that I repeat myself sometimes but if you look at people you do agree with you will notice they bring up the same tiresome comments or threads here as everyone else: i. e. trolling, the ATC backlash, Donald Trump etc. Before singling me out it's worth looking at everyone else as well as me. Thanks.
Kingpin wrote:Except we both know you have gone out of your way, the Boston filming location is a perfect example of dragging a talking point to the point of inanity, and several of your posts have been reported over the past several months. This isn't some conspiracy to silence you, you just do a piss poor job at making anyone like you.
Read the above response and then tell me I'm a broken record. :roll:
Kingpin wrote:You wouldn't be the first person to complain about censorship when they don't get their way on the forum, but you need to keep in mind that being a member of this forum is a privilege, not a right, and what you post is subject to the forum rules. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts, and lock or delete topics where they feel it's appropriate.
I totally understand that, doesn't mean those decisions don't feel one sided.
Sav C wrote:@pferriea1983 You have a habit of reviving discussions multiple times, even once everyone has moved on. The opinions which you state remain the same almost every time, and therefore it is nonconstructive. I'm not saying you have to change your mind on stuff, but sometimes, if you don't mind my suggestion, it might help if you at least developed a further understanding of your opinions. When you bring up a subject that we are no longer interested in, and the subject brings nothing new to the table (and it results in having the exact same things said every time), that's no fun for the rest of us.
See, now I feel that's a good response and I'd be happy to do what you said.
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
pferreira1983 wrote:but if you look at people you do agree with you will notice they bring up the same tiresome comments or threads here as everyone else: i. e. trolling, the ATC backlash, Donald Trump etc.
It's not hugely surprising when you think about it, we'll get repetitive responses to repetitive comments... the trick is breaking the cycle, which sometimes includes just letting a discussion go even if you disagree with something in it (this is something I admit I could be better at).
pferreira1983 wrote:Read the above response and then tell me I'm a broken record. :roll:
I've read it, I do feel justified in saying you've been enthusiastically repetitive at points (I have been as well).
pferreira1983 wrote:]I totally understand that, doesn't mean those decisions don't feel one sided.
You're welcome to feel that, and maybe part of that is down to the fact there aren't really that many other forum members who are as outspoken as you on that handful of issues with which we've sparred so frequently on. The knock-on of course is by being one of the few voices of dissent, you're more likely to get a larger proportion of attention on you.
80sguy liked this
By Styrofoam_Guy
There have been plenty of threads where I think about responding to one of your comments but I often tend to not respond hoping that the subject matter would die but it never seems to. You seem to want to keep the thread alive trying to bludgeon everyone else into submission or to get the thread locked.
pferreira1983 wrote:I understand that I repeat myself sometimes but if you look at people you do agree with you will notice they bring up the same tiresome comments or threads here as everyone else: i. e. trolling, the ATC backlash, Donald Trump etc. Before singling me out it's worth looking at everyone else as well as me. Thanks.
By pferreira1983
Kingpin wrote:I've read it, I do feel justified in saying you've been enthusiastically repetitive at points (I have been as well).
Okay we agree on something. :nicejobyoudid:
Kingpin wrote:You're welcome to feel that, and maybe part of that is down to the fact there aren't really that many other forum members who are as outspoken as you on that handful of issues with which we've sparred so frequently on. The knock-on of course is by being one of the few voices of dissent, you're more likely to get a larger proportion of attention on you.
I wouldn't say I'm one of the few voices of dissent as I'm sure there's more complaining about stuff (not just GB related) on every thread. Am I outspoken or is it me being critical? The latter yeah definitely but that's how I was taught in schooling. In terms of being outspoken no more so than anybody else, I just don't have nicer things to say which is due to me being critical.
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:There have been plenty of threads where I think about responding to one of your comments but I often tend to not respond hoping that the subject matter would die but it never seems to. You seem to want to keep the thread alive trying to bludgeon everyone else into submission or to get the thread locked.
Well to be honest I answer criticisms directed towards me, if that keeps the threads alive I'm sorry and no it goes without saying I'm not trying to get topics locked. Why would I do that?
By SpaceBallz
I'm not sure if anybody has been keeping up with Ghost Corps fb feed, but this stuff sounded interesting:

JurorNo.2, Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By philmorgan81
You know this may seem strange, but I feel that we are living in a pretty amazing time right now. I had brought this up a few times I do have a tendency to repeat myself, but everytime I hear new news in the world of cinema I just have to share my thoughts. I remember speaking about what the next Ghostbusters film would be. We know that the animated film is next, but many are really curious on what that next live action film will be. Will it be a sequel to ATC? Will it be a sequel to the original films? Or will it be a sequel to Both? ;) There are so many directions this can go and ANYTHING seems plausible today. :)

You see I remember the days when a film franchise received the Hard Reboot or Remake treatment there was no going back to the original world. The Fly, Nightmare On Elm Street and Friday the 13th to name a few. Now it seems those days are behind us. Evil Dead Was remade, but we still got Ash Vs Evil Dead. Karate Kid was remade, but we will be getting that Netflix series that continues Daniel's story. Now there is this news about an upcoming Halloween Movie. The Halloween films are an interesting beast. 2 Halloween films 3rd film goes a different direction. 4-6 returns to World of Micheal Meyers and Laurie Strode has passed away in these films. Then H20 comes out and ignores the events of 2-6. Then Halloween Ressurection comes out and once again Laurie Strode Dies. Of course after that the series got rebooted with Rob Zombie's 2 films. NOW Jamie Lee Curtis is returning as Laurie Strode again in another Halloween Movie due out next year. This film will likely just be another direct sequel to the original film and ignore the events of 1 to Ressurection. John Carpenter who has for the most part retired from Hollywood is going to be Consulting Producer and more involved in a film than he has been in years. He is even thinking about doing the score for this new film.

LOL! Please forgive this long ramble about a franchise other than Ghostbusters, but my point is I think it is great that a franchise can go back to it's roots even after it has been rebooted. I am more confident than ever that we will see another movie where the Original Ghostbusters exist. Imagine if in this next film we could get as many of the original players involved on a larger compacity than they were in ATC. Maybe we can get a film like the new Blade Runner film. Again great era we live in today and I can't wait to see what is next. :):):)
Last edited by philmorgan81 on September 16th, 2017, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alphagaia, Sav C, JurorNo.2 and 1 others liked this
By Alphagaia
Ghostbusters, in all it's forms, is such a fun nostalgia thing for me. While it took me a while to get used to XGB, at first I did not like all the angry faces, it's in a positive place for me now, and I welcomed ATC with open hands.
I would like a sequel to both the new and old movies, connecting them like the comic did really, really well, and perhaps a movie that brings back XGB as well. I loved the ghost designs in that one, and the fact humans were much more victimized by the ghosts.

Also, I love the resurgence of all the merchandise, my wallet not so much, so with the new movies incoming it seems even the EU might get some cool stuff like those new protonpacks.
philmorgan81, Sav C, 80sguy liked this
By Davideverona
Amen to you both, guys!

Just watched today the extended version of ATC (I LOVED the FX coming out of the screen). I have to admit that AFTER reading GHOSTBUSTERS 101 by IDW now I can accept it more as a piece of Ghostbusters lore.

Erin, Jillian, Patty and Abby are the Boy in Grey new friends and colleagues...from another reality. So, to me, now ATC is the prequel of GB 101, it tells how these girls created a similar thing in another NY.

I don't forget that it was a very really misguided effort from the start. Feig wanting to do a separate movie ignoring a great legacy....but recycling most story beats. Pascal wanting to sideline Aykroyd and Reitman, all the internal war...who backfired greatly in their faces (Pascal and Feig).

It's all gone past us.

IDW and Reitman regained the reins and corrected the route.

What will the future bring to us?

I'm betting a movie that is 85% Ghostbusters 3 + 14% ATC 2 (minus Abby and Erin) + 1% Slimer.
By Sav C
philmorgan81 wrote:You see I remember the days when a film franchise received the Hard Reboot or Remake treatment there was no going back to the original world. The Fly, Nightmare On Elm Street and Friday the 13th to name a few. Now it seems those days are behind us.
It does feel as if they can make any movie/combination of movies they want right now, doesn't it? It's really great to know that there's hope for so many different iterations of ghostbusters in the future!
Davideverona wrote:I'm betting a movie that is 85% Ghostbusters 3 + 14% ATC 2 (minus Abby and Erin) + 1% Slimer.
I think we could use a little bit more Slimer than that... :)

I just put together that you are Peter33vr--it was only a day or two ago that I was wondering why you stopped posting, but good to see you are still around!
philmorgan81 liked this
By DarkSpectre
I'll be the first to admit that I spent all of last year railing against ATC, arguing and blocking other fans, so on, so forth. But I did give it a shot, twice in the theater and just wasn't a fan. It made me angry that there were things I did like but the overall film was disappointing to me. But then 101 happened. Burnham's explanation of the ATC world being a parallel dimension and the prime universe being responsible for the idea in the multiverse collective subconscious won me over. About that time, I decided to revisit ATC as video editor and went to work making the film work for me. And after removing and tightening things that personally didn't work for me, the film became much more enjoyable and I felt comfortable letting my guard down and accepting and liking the characters (although I feel IDW did them more of service in that regard than Feig and Dippold). The movie has it's flaws but when taken in the context that its not the main universe but an alternate one with it's own rules and structure, it makes it much more interesting to accept. My son, while perferring to don the classic uniform and pack, does the 'Holtzmann" with the rolled up sleeves and the round goggles and loves the twin pistols. Chloe, the step daughter, of my best friend and team mate Chris, loves ATC and Holtzmann. I recently completed a 3/4 scale 2016 pack for her and her parents are buying her a 2016 costume/uniform. Hell, my wife is adopting certain aspects of the film especially since I built her a classic styled 2016 pack. She's looking to get a khaki uniform similar to the 2016 ones (she's not a fan of the stripes though). At the end of the day, it did take some convincing, but I've come to the realization, it's here, it not going anywhere, and while it's not my chosen flavor of the franchise it is for others and it's been refreshing to to have new equipment to build and some new collectibles to pick up and to see the fun that our kids are having with it.
Alphagaia, Lee FW, Sav C liked this
By Devil Master
I read that Ghostbusters: Ecto Force has been postponed in favor of an animated movie. I really, REALLY hope that "animated movie" does NOT mean a Lego Ghostbusters movie.
By philmorgan81
Devil Master wrote:I read that Ghostbusters: Ecto Force has been postponed in favor of an animated movie. I really, REALLY hope that "animated movie" does NOT mean a Lego Ghostbusters movie.
Yeah there were actually quite a few networks that wanted the show and Ivan and Ghost Corps thought it would be better if the Animated Feature was the jumping off point Instead of ATC. My theory for that is maybe this Animated feature will have more of a classic Ghostbusters feel as will Ecto Force. Ecto Force will be set in the future and have a whole crop of original characters, but it will still feel more like the classic Ghostbusters. I believe that they were going to go a standard CG route with the animated feature like The most recent Smurfs film and would be done by Sony Animation. I know that Warner Bros. has been doing a majority of the Lego films, but I think it would be awesome if Ghost Corps approved a Lego Ghostbusters film as one of the future GB projects. I am sure that would be fun if they wrote an original story for it. Lego Ninjago isn't just retreading the footsteps of the Series. Lego Batman took the 75 Years of Batman history and just played with it, but it still told a new Batman story. I see no reason they couldn't do something similar with a Lego Ghostbusters. I think that would be a hoot. :):):)
Last edited by philmorgan81 on September 18th, 2017, 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By marklungo
Devil Master wrote:I read that Ghostbusters: Ecto Force has been postponed in favor of an animated movie.
Do you remember where you read that?
By marklungo
Thanks, Phil! BTW, does anyone know anything about what Ecto Force might have been (and hopefully will be when it's finally released)? Has any information about the show (characters, artwork, etc.) been made public?
philmorgan81 liked this
By mrmichaelt
marklungo wrote:Thanks, Phil! BTW, does anyone know anything about what Ecto Force might have been (and hopefully will be when it's finally released)? Has any information about the show (characters, artwork, etc.) been made public?
The main thread about it is here but it was set around 2040/ 2050 and there are branches of Ghostbusters all over the world who would help a team traveling around the world busting ghosts. Different mythologies would be explored. China, Japan, and Korea were cited a lot by Reitman. Nothing specific like characters or artwork were released.
By Sav C
timeware wrote:I'll believe it when I see it.
Nice Ghostbusters spirit you've got going there.

Seriously though I'm a little skeptical about it too. I guess that's the effect of waiting so long for that sequel that's still yet to happen
philmorgan81 liked this
By timeware
After the lack of concept art, or promotional stuff released on Ghostbusters day i'm hoping that this is more then just rumor. I'm crossing my fingers like the rest of us hoping this doesn't take ten or more years to develop like Duke Nukem Forever or Kingdom Hearts III.
philmorgan81, Sav C liked this
By philmorgan81
Sav C wrote:
timeware wrote:I'll believe it when I see it.
Nice Ghostbusters spirit you've got going there.

Seriously though I'm a little skeptical about it too. I guess that's the effect of waiting so long for that sequel that's still yet to happen
timeware wrote:After the lack of concept art, or promotional stuff released on Ghostbusters day i'm hoping that this is more then just rumor. I'm crossing my fingers like the rest of us hoping this doesn't take ten or more years to develop like Duke Nukem Forever or Kingdom Hearts III.
Oh yeah, I think it is right and only natural to be a little skeptical. I believe a lot of the plans that they had for the franchise had to be retooled due to ATC's underperformance. Ghostbusters may not be as big as Star Wars, but it should have performed way better than it did. The politics behind it, the studio using the controversy to sell the movie. It just didn't do ATC any favors.

At this point I believe Reitman and Ghost Corps are putting all their effort into the Animated project to get people excited for Ghostbusters again. If the Animated movie does real well they will probably build the cartoon series from there. Who knows what Ecto Force could become after that. I mean Extreme Ghostbusters was going to be called Super Ghostbusters and it's concept had Egon in some Wizard like garb living in the ghost world. The original concept was really out there. As we all know once we got the show in 97 everything had changed.

It is funny Ghostbusters started out as a real incredible and huge far fetched spectacle and then it got toned down to something more grounded. The same can be said for Ghostbusters 2 and the Undeveloped Ghostbusters 3. Ecto Force will probably go through some major changes too. The development process must be real fun. ;).

It is still a gamble of whether or not this Animated Feature will do well. Some people could be so soured from the ATC stuff that they may not give this one a shot. The Animated movie sounds a bit weird when they use terms like "A story through the Ghost's POV." People may not want to see a story like that after waiting so long for another Ghostbusters movie. I have a feeling that there is way more to the Animated movie than what we have heard so far. After all it is just the beginning of development. A good story and a good animated project takes time. I am personally ecstatic to see what comes next. :):):)
Noremon, Sav C liked this
By Sav C
The movie certainly had the potential to rake in a lot more cash, but it's not as if it underperformed if you ask me. I'd say it performed as well as could be expected once the internet decided to boycot it. Especially considering how long the hate fest dragged on; the trolls had what, over two years before it as realeased to tear apart every little bit of news surrounding it? I'm glad it has its followers (including myself), as it deserves a much better reputation than the one it received. It only has 5.6/10 on IMDb, when really it should be at least a 6.5 (I'd give it an 8 ).

I look forward to Ectoforce. It makes sense if they'll try and make the animated movie first, as that could help draw in a younger fanbase.

There's the saying that "less is more", and I think that may holds true for both Ghostbusters films. They took far out yet spectacular ideas and refined them until they were solid stories thst you could get lost in, instead of viewing them in total disbelief. You're right, the brainstorms they must come up with must be somewhat exhilarating!

It does sound like a very experimental idea considering this new phase of Ghostbusters is still young, but perhaps when they say "ghost's point of view" it just from a ghost retelling getting busted. There will probably be a lot of interaction between the busters that is shown on screen. What if the ghost was actually on the run from the Ghostbusters, and wasn't just a simple bust.

In the original there was an idea where there would be a television screen showing the ghosts in the containment unit, but it was scrapped for being both two depressing and unfeaseable effects wise due to time. Perhaps the movie will be a flashback retold from a ghost in the containment unit though. It could be really cool now that I'm thinking about it, although perhaps a little sensitive. I'm looking forward to see what they do with it comedically.
philmorgan81 liked this
By philmorgan81
Sav C wrote:The movie certainly had the potential to rake in a lot more cash, but it's not as if it underperformed if you ask me. I'd say it performed as well as could be expected once the internet decided to boycot it. Especially considering how long the hate fest dragged on; the trolls had what, over two years before it as realeased to tear apart every little bit of news surrounding it? I'm glad it has its followers (including myself), as it deserves a much better reputation than the one it received. It only has 5.6/10 on IMDb, when really it should be at least a 6.5 (I'd give it an 8 ).

I look forward to Ectoforce. It makes sense if they'll try and make the animated movie first, as that could help draw in a younger fanbase.

There's the saying that "less is more", and I think that may holds true for both Ghostbusters films. They took far out yet spectacular ideas and refined them until they were solid stories thst you could get lost in, instead of viewing them in total disbelief. You're right, the brainstorms they must come up with must be somewhat exhilarating!

It does sound like a very experimental idea considering this new phase of Ghostbusters is still young, but perhaps when they say "ghost's point of view" it just from a ghost retelling getting busted. There will probably be a lot of interaction between the busters that is shown on screen. What if the ghost was actually on the run from the Ghostbusters, and wasn't just a simple bust.

In the original there was an idea where there would be a television screen showing the ghosts in the containment unit, but it was scrapped for being both two depressing and unfeaseable effects wise due to time. Perhaps the movie will be a flashback retold from a ghost in the containment unit though. It could be really cool now that I'm thinking about it, although perhaps a little sensitive. I'm looking forward to see what they do with it comedically.
Oh yeah you make an excellent point. I like to use the term underperform because I don't think making back 229 million worldwide from a 140 million budget qualifies as a box office bomb. ;) I just believe that the film performed lower then the projected expectations the studio and all parties involved wanted it to. ;)

There is so much potential to still be tapped from the franchise and I feel that we are going to be in for some big suprises. I mean now that Ivan has retooled the deal with the studio we could be seeing a number of different Ghostbusters projects by many different directors. I know I am a broken record on this, but I am so looking forward to an oversaturation of GB goodness IF the next project performs well. I wonder if DC, Marvel or Star Wars fans get as excited as I am now. :)

As for Ecto Force I am very excited for what that could wind up being. I am not put off at the prospect of it being set in the future. I don't feel it is nessecary to set it that far in the future, but if it helps to set it apart from Classic and the Reboot that's cool. I think it could still work in a contemporary timeline. Whatever they decide to do with Ecto Force, (or whatever they decide to call it) I hope the core concept stays the same. The concept being following a set group of Ghostbusters that travel the world stopping hauntings, busting heads in a spiritual sense and teaming up with other Ghostbusters branches. If that concept stays the same it would really put some validity in all those awesome Fan Films we have seen from 2004 and up. :):):)
Sav C liked this

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]