Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Sav C
Glenn Frederick wrote: April 13th, 2018, 10:45 pm I used to go daily to thrift stores and flea markets in the city looking through VHS tapes/toys/books and anything GB related before I move to a small town in the middle of nowhere.

I had thought about making VHS copies of more recent movies for only myself because of nostalgic reasons. I even considered ATC as a fan edited and VHS rental quality tape to go along with my old GB tapes. I assume a lot of people would consider that to be weird?
I think that's a cool idea. If watching a VHS copy of a movie not actually released on VHS enhances the movie due to nostalgia, then by all means go for it. :)
Kingpin wrote:
BatDan wrote: April 13th, 2018, 11:46 pm What in the sam hill is going on in this thread? Lol.
Don't ask me, ask my attorney.
And that's me! My guy's are still under a judicial restraining order... That blue thing I got from her. They could be exposing themselves!
Davideverona wrote:Who the sam hill is Sam Hill?
To the best of my knowledge it's a euphemism for heck or hell.
Kingpin liked this
By TK5759
Sav C wrote: April 14th, 2018, 1:41 am And that's me! My guy's are still under a judicial restraining order... That blue thing I got from her. They could be exposing themselves!

But really, I second the no-politics idea. I like a good debate as much as anyone else, but let's save that for holidays and family events, m'kay?
Sav C liked this
By deadderek
*Derek signs in*
*Derek sees active topic he hasn't read in a while*
*Derek reads*
*Derek sighs*
*Derek leaves*
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By robbritton
80sguy wrote: June 27th, 2018, 11:32 am
LM_Productions wrote: April 30th, 2018, 1:54 pm I know how! One word. Continuity. Like Holtzmann being the daughter of Egon, Abby being the daughter of Ray, and so on.
They don't need to be the daughters of any of them. So many fans keep pushing that idea, it sounds so cliched and forced.
It's such a non event as a narrative touch. (as an aside I always equally disliked the idea of having Oscar be a GB in a hypothetical GB3.) Ghostbusters works because it's three slouchy science guys (or ladies in the new) who turn out to be the smartest and best in the room (along with their late arrival colleague in both cases) entirely because of their skills, tools and drive. You make it a family business and it starts to become a weird birthright thing, rather than there being much for the characters to prove*. There'd be no reason for us to love any of the characters other than, "Oh, y'know, they're related to the originals!". It would hobble them from the off because they would be so explicitly tied to the originals. Ghostbusters should be a dysfunctional family of colleagues, not an actual sci-fi Waltons.

*Yes, I know there would be a "Will they live up to their Fathers?" crisis of identity thing going on, but isn't that a little dullsville and hokey for Ghostbusters? I guess if they were fighting Gozer's kid and they hammed up the parallels it could work as a rounded narrative, but yeesh! That's a card I never want to see the movies play!
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
By BRD 527
Im a little late to the game and I have to admit I haven't read through this topic at all but ive been having trouble sleeping this last week and was out in the garage having a smoke getting ready to go lay down and try to sleep when I thought what if you just drop the no ghost logo, replace ecto 1 with the Beverly hillbillys car, Kristen Wiig with Freddy Prince Jr (His big come back) and Melissa McCarthy with a CGI gorilla? having the original cast in their cameos makes it even more tongue in cheek and makes the ending even more funny!

Plus then they could have made RAMPAGE a sequel with Melissa McCarthy as the now albino CGI gorilla starring along The Rock.
deadderek liked this
By One time
LM_Productions wrote: April 30th, 2018, 1:54 pm I know how! One word. Continuity. Like Holtzmann being the daughter of Egon, Abby being the daughter of Ray, and so on.
I remember reading such an awesome script for GB3 with Egon's daughter and Oscar both attending classes on physics at university because of their history and meeting each other (and finding out they both have a secret passion for the paranormal) . Then weird things starting to happen during experiments and them finding Ray Stantz' name in Egon's notes and going on a quest to find him, running into Winston, seeing what happened to the Ghostbusters and forming a new team, etc. And Venkman showing up at the end and accidentally saving everyone. I'm probably not doing it justice in a few lines but it sounded so interesting in a nerdy outcasts turn to heroes kind of way.
By philmorgan81
I remember reading such an awesome script for GB3 with Egon's daughter and Oscar both attending classes on physics at university because of their history and meeting each other (and finding out they both have a secret passion for the paranormal) . Then weird things starting to happen during experiments and them finding Ray Stantz' name in Egon's notes and going on a quest to find him, running into Winston, seeing what happened to the Ghostbusters and forming a new team, etc. And Venkman showing up at the end and accidentally saving everyone. I'm probably not doing it justice in a few lines but it sounded so interesting in a nerdy outcasts turn to heroes kind of way.

I have seen a few things floating around, but that outline sounds pretty good. If think something like that could be executed pretty well. The trick would be finding the right kind of characters to carry the film. Considering the mixed reactions to ATC we know it is not an easy feat. I like the idea of the new crew looking through Egon's notes. Something like that would really keep The Spirit of Egon so to speak in the film. Much the a same way they handle the absence of Miagi in Cobra Kai. I love the thought of the new crew trying to find Ray and when they find him having Ray and Winston be the Active mentors to the new team through the majority of the film. Having Peter showing up at the end to help save the day would be the icing on the cake. :):):)

I still have hope of seeing something like that someday. I am sure Bill Murray could suit up for one day of shooting a scene that doesn't have to be any longer than the cameo he shot in ATC. :):):)

We will have to wait and see. :):):)
Last edited by Kingpin on July 23rd, 2018, 3:44 am, edited 3 times in total.Reason: fixed quote codes
By One time
philmorgan81 wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 11:23 pm
I have seen a few things floating around, but that outline sounds pretty good. If think something like that could be executed pretty well. The trick would be finding the right kind of characters to carry the film. Considering the mixed reactions to ATC we know it is not an easy feat. I like the idea of the new crew looking through Egon's notes. Something like that would really keep The Spirit of Egon so to speak in the film. Much the a same way they handle the absence of Miagi in Cobra Kai. I love the thought of the new crew trying to find Ray and when they find him having Ray and Winston be the Active mentors to the new team through the majority of the film. Having Peter showing up at the end to help save the day would be the icing on the cake. :):):)

I still have hope of seeing something like that someday. I am sure Bill Murray could suit up for one day of shooting a scene that doesn't have to be any longer than the cameo he shot in ATC. :):):)

We will have to wait and see. :):):)
Found it. Someone wrote it in end of 2014, I think that was before the new movie came out (I edited it for length, etc.)

Script:
GB3 starts out with no ghosts. The movie starts very matter of fact, mundane, like GB1 did.

Students of Columbia University (the same as in GB1) doing particle research in particle accelerators, have a groundbreaking experiment go wrong.

Suddenly impossible things start to occur but VERY SUBTLY. Like physical constants appearing to no longer be constant but starting to fluctuate. The Planck length (for whoever knows what that is) starting to become measurable, etc.

This touches one of the students (Oscar) on a personal level as deep down he has those experiences from GB1 hidden away. (It's the reason he got into the field, to try to rationalize what happened.)

In his class is also deceased Egon Spengler's daughter, who knows little about her father. Oscar and her meet in a funny way during one of the experiments. In trying to understand the strange experimental results at Columbia they decide to go through her father's old notes. She knew he was a theoretical physicist. Slowly they uncover the strange truth about her father. (And first time viewers who have never seen Ghostbusters get pulled in at this point.)

It starts when they are sitting at her house at night and hear this strange noise. They search the whole house trying to find the source of this strange noise. Until finally, in the dusty basement she opens a drawer and the noise is heard loudly and we see a PKE meter lying there, wings fully extended beeping like crazy. Neither of them know what it is.

They also find a dirty crumpled piece of paper with a name and an address. It says:

"Ray STantz".

In the dusty archives of notes they find information for a warehouse safe housing the old GB equipment.

They try to find this crazy eccentric old man.

Things keep trying to prevent them from finding him. Inverse serendipity? Like random chance isn't random anymore. In very subtle but interesting ways.

They meet Winston along the way, who now lives in a run down ghetto and (because of his Ghostbusters past) has become completely fearless. Not just kind of brave but actually 100% fearless. It leads to funny scenes with a completely fearless old guy in a ghetto.

The situation is getting worse by this stage.

What's also funny is contrasting how modern kids, i.e. Oscar and Egon's daughter, approach things completely differently to these old 80's dudes. The whole political correctness angle, social media, etc. could be used to offer funny interactions between the new and old team.

In the end the torch is passed. Venkman shows up and ends up accidentally saving everyone and then they work together to save the world.
Last edited by One time on July 26th, 2018, 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Alphagaia
I really like the explanation IDW gave for ATC (and RGB, XGB, etc). Each universe has all the characters, but they just made different life choices. This explains why the original cast was in the new movie with different identities, why Kylie is in IDW, we have different slimers, etc.

All because the GB crossed the streams to twart Gozer, which created the different universes and constants. This even means we can have the ATC in the OGB universe, or the RGB universe and vice versa, with slightly different identities and life choices. It gives unique gags and possibilities, like how Holtzmann visits herself in the IDW universe where she is an FBI agent.

I don't know if I want a universe where Egon is confirmed dead, or where Oscar is used when one of the twins chose to end his life. It feels wrong somehow, but I fully understand if that's just me. If they do a gb3, I hope it's an animation or recast, so the GB are all alive and kicking, without another reset that involves a 'ghosts are non existent' storyline for the first act, as we have seen 3 times already.
By timeware
The release of an animated multi-verse GB film might hinge on how well Into the Spider-verse goes. It would be great to see a prequel to Ecto-(if it ever gets off the drafting table) Force. You can introduce new fans to the previous teams then after the big bad is defeated set up the new animated series.
First season could have Ecto-force figuring out how to universe jump then have occasional pop ups from RGB, OG, ATC, EGB, as the series goes on.
By hoodaman
the TM2YC fanedit fixed all the issues I had with the movie. There was just too much ad-libbing at the end of the scenes. The fan edit tightened up the pacing, made everyone in the movie more believable by removing a LOT of corny lines and made some parts legit spooky. It removed several deliberate jabs at the fanbase's vocal disdain of the film and added some deleted scenes that made the whole thing much more emotionally impactful. Oh, and it cut Bill Murray's entire existence and Ozzy's cameo as well.

After watching the extended edition and the fan edit back to back, I can't say I'm satisfied with ALL of the cuts he made (the scene with the TV reporter giving them the name ghostbusters was cut, so it doesn't make sense that they just start calling themselves that when they do), overall it really brings the best parts of the movie into focus and leaves what doesn't work on the cutting room floor. A much much more enjoyable edit of the film imo.
By timeware
Was this Darkspecter's edit? If not do you have a link?
One of the major issues I had with the film was that awful fall out boy song. If this was the same edit were talking about it did fix a lot of those issues. He did insert the scene where they pick up their uniforms. I don't understand why they cut that scene to begin with. The fact that fans can do a better editing job then the studio says a hell of a lot.
By Wiggyof9
Wow... that fan edit is so much better. This version of the movie is actually good, proving it was a lack of direction and poor editing choices that made this movie so bad. These characters are actually likable and the jokes hit a lot better. Taking out the long winded terrible jokes makes the well done funny jokes stand out. They made Kevin the right amount of stupid, though I wish there was a way to cut the gong part.

If the fan-edit version was the theatrical version it would have done a lot better.
By DarkSpectre
Wiggyof9 wrote: September 5th, 2018, 8:00 am Wow... that fan edit is so much better. This version of the movie is actually good, proving it was a lack of direction and poor editing choices that made this movie so bad. These characters are actually likable and the jokes hit a lot better. Taking out the long winded terrible jokes makes the well done funny jokes stand out. They made Kevin the right amount of stupid, though I wish there was a way to cut the gong part.

If the fan-edit version was the theatrical version it would have done a lot better.
I managed to cut the gong part. I'm also interested in this other edit as well. Mine's available for anyone that wants to see it.
Sav C liked this
By Wiggyof9
hoodaman wrote: August 18th, 2018, 1:52 am the TM2YC fanedit fixed all the issues I had with the movie. There was just too much ad-libbing at the end of the scenes. The fan edit tightened up the pacing, made everyone in the movie more believable by removing a LOT of corny lines and made some parts legit spooky. It removed several deliberate jabs at the fanbase's vocal disdain of the film and added some deleted scenes that made the whole thing much more emotionally impactful. Oh, and it cut Bill Murray's entire existence and Ozzy's cameo as well.

After watching the extended edition and the fan edit back to back, I can't say I'm satisfied with ALL of the cuts he made (the scene with the TV reporter giving them the name ghostbusters was cut, so it doesn't make sense that they just start calling themselves that when they do), overall it really brings the best parts of the movie into focus and leaves what doesn't work on the cutting room floor. A much much more enjoyable edit of the film imo.
After watching this edit it makes me wonder if this could possibly fit into the original GB canon. Assuming they do something similar to Superman Returns and say only the original movie happened, all of the cameos that got kept in the edit could be the same characters, with the exception of Weaver's cameo which could easily be cut.

If after the first movie the federal government conspired to cover up the events of GB1, it would make sense for Ray to be stuck driving a cab. He feared making it in the private sector because they expected results. In GB2 he seemed like he was barely getting by. I can see him ending up as a cabby, unable to talk about the few weeks he spent as a Ghostbuster 30 years ago, and even if he did try, no one would believe him. I easily see Janine ending up as a rude hotel manager. Winston, being a hard worker and effectively being out of a job could have taken the money he made with the GBs and started his own business. Egon may have ended up working for the government in secret.

GB1 seemed to have only happened over the course of a few weeks and been isolated to the NYC area. Staypuft was localized to a couple of blocks for a very short time. I can see the events being covered up and forgotten, witnesses dismissed as nut jobs.

With this retcon, you could make a sequel to GB '16 where the new team uncovers some old research or news paper articles or something when searching the term Zuul. Man... I wish this was how they handled the movie.
Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
The IDW comics already made ATC canon. By crossing the streams the orginal GB created all kings of new dimension like The Real Ghostbusters, The Extreme GB, Answer the Call GB, etc.
In it the same characters dwell, just with different life choices / characteristics, etc.
Sav C liked this
By timeware
IDW has done some great stuff with ATC. If they had been given the concept of the team and allowed to develop them over a couple of years I think it would have made for a better film.
By Alphagaia
Yeah, that's a given. As it is, it's the other way around now. The comics we already have already give us more time to get used to their strengths and weaknesses.

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]