Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Saw on SDCC's Thursday schedule, there is a 35th Anniversary panel scheduled. No panelists revealed yet.

35th Anniversary of Ghostbusters
"Over three decades ago, four men, the iconic Ecto-1, and Stay Puft Marshmallow Man entered our lives. Since then, the proton pack is a constant cosplay want, and fans can't help singing along to the classic theme song. The franchise spawned countless comics and animated series. With the future Ghostbuster film to look forward to, Jessica Tseang (founder, Positive Pop Culture/Persisted Media Group) discusses with panelists from the original trilogy, artists, and animators about the longevity of this franchise. "
Thursday July 18, 2019 3:00pm - 4:00pm The Theater, Comic-Con Museum
https://comiccon2019.sched.com/event/Rl ... r=no&bg=no
RedSpecial, Wafflerobot liked this
Yeah, instantly curious which movies and animated series they will pull from. GB1 and RGB seem like a slam dunk but I'm hoping to see some from GB2 and EGB as well -- Feels like there's still a lot of behind the scenes history to learn about.
Davideverona wrote: July 5th, 2019, 11:31 pm Really looking forward to it, expecially after seeing that Sony will skip Hall H this year.
It was a real surprise to learn a couple were. Not just Sony. I think Warner, Universal, Lionsgate, too.
mrmichaelt wrote: July 6th, 2019, 2:00 am Yeah, instantly curious which movies and animated series they will pull from. GB1 and RGB seem like a slam dunk but I'm hoping to see some from GB2 and EGB as well -- Feels like there's still a lot of behind the scenes history to learn about.
Davideverona wrote: July 5th, 2019, 11:31 pm Really looking forward to it, expecially after seeing that Sony will skip Hall H this year.
It was a real surprise to learn a couple were. Not just Sony. I think Warner, Universal, Lionsgate, too.
If they don't announce an EGB complete series DVD set, I say we riot. I mean..not even a blu ray. Just a DVD set. That's all I want. A blu Ray set would be nice, but who are we kidding here. This is Sony.

I hope to god a fan gets a microphone during this panel and makes ol' Richardless here proud by saying "It's 2019! Why can't I buy Extreme Ghostbusters on ITunes or YouTube or, ya know, the freaking *SONY* Play Station Store. Why do you guys make it so hard to give you our money. That's all we want. We just want to give you money. Please. Help us give you our money!"
mrmichaelt liked this
RichardLess wrote: July 7th, 2019, 11:06 am If they don't announce an EGB complete series DVD set, I say we riot. I mean..not even a blu ray. Just a DVD set. That's all I want. A blu Ray set would be nice, but who are we kidding here. This is Sony.

I hope to god a fan gets a microphone during this panel and makes ol' Richardless here proud by saying "It's 2019! Why can't I buy Extreme Ghostbusters on ITunes or YouTube or, ya know, the freaking *SONY* Play Station Store. Why do you guys make it so hard to give you our money. That's all we want. We just want to give you money. Please. Help us give you our money!"
It seems crazy there hasn't been an EGB box set yet.

I feel like RGB would need a proper remastering for Blu Ray. Maybe if they did the first season to test it.

Outside of the main series, Kylie Griffin is clearly a fan favourite. I'd be super happy if she got brought into the film canon for GB 2020, but that doesn't seem likely.
mrmichaelt liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: July 7th, 2019, 11:28 am
RichardLess wrote: July 7th, 2019, 11:06 am If they don't announce an EGB complete series DVD set, I say we riot. I mean..not even a blu ray. Just a DVD set. That's all I want. A blu Ray set would be nice, but who are we kidding here. This is Sony.

I feel like RGB would need a proper remastering for Blu Ray. Maybe if they did the first season to test it.

Outside of the main series, Kylie Griffin is clearly a fan favourite. I'd be super happy if she got brought into the film canon for GB 2020, but that doesn't seem likely.
I think it's been established that a blu ray of RGB is impossible since there are no film masters to work with. Which sucks. Back then the standard operating procedure was to take the film masters, record them onto broadcast tape, then reuse and recycle the film masters. Thankfully by the time EGB came out that was a dying practise but who knows. But RGB? They have no film elements and those are required for 1080p remastering.
deadderek liked this
RichardLess wrote: July 7th, 2019, 11:47 am I think it's been established that a blu ray of RGB is impossible since there are no film masters to work with. Which sucks. Back then the standard operating procedure was to take the film masters, record them onto broadcast tape, then reuse and recycle the film masters. Thankfully by the time EGB came out that was a dying practise but who knows. But RGB? They have no film elements and those are required for 1080p remastering.

Ah so did they find the masters for the promo for the remaster on the 35th anniversary set?

Even without the masters, it seems within the realms of technical possibility they'd be able to do something with the current available video source.... but if they haven't even attempted that with The Simpsons, they probably aren't going to with RGB.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: July 7th, 2019, 11:28 am

@ *referring to bold*

Honestly, as much as this would be nice and also as someone who loves the character, i'm not raising my hopes up about it; seeing her in the IDW comics is enough for me.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: July 7th, 2019, 12:51 pmAh so did they find the masters for the promo for the remaster on the 35th anniversary set?
An audio-less reel containing a copy of the promo animation came into the hands of Robert Barbieri, who had it scanned so it could be restored. The promo may well have been a rarity in the fact it was a film reel rather than a video cassette.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: July 7th, 2019, 12:51 pm
RichardLess wrote: July 7th, 2019, 11:47 am I think it's been established that a blu ray of RGB is impossible since there are no film masters to work with. Which sucks. Back then the standard operating procedure was to take the film masters, record them onto broadcast tape, then reuse and recycle the film masters. Thankfully by the time EGB came out that was a dying practise but who knows. But RGB? They have no film elements and those are required for 1080p remastering.

Ah so did they find the masters for the promo for the remaster on the 35th anniversary set?

Even without the masters, it seems within the realms of technical possibility they'd be able to do something with the current available video source.... but if they haven't even attempted that with The Simpsons, they probably aren't going to with RGB.
They have remastered the simpsons. They did an awful job of it. They stretched the picture so the original aspect ratio is now 1.78:1 instead of the original 1.33:1. It's broadcast only and looks TERRIBLE. They had the film elements though.

To do a HD remaster you need the film elements. Broadcast Betamax or VHS tapes would look like a blurry nightmare if you remastered to 1080p. You can't create resolution where there is none. VHS just doesn't have the storage capacity to hold the resolution needed. You'd need the film. Without that? we are out of luck.

It's the same reason why Star Trek Deep Space 9 or Star Trek Voyager won't ever get a blu Ray release(unless serious money is spent). For Deep Space 9, after the 3rd season, they went from model based VFX to CGI. to save money the CGI was created on video instead of film. So the visual effects would look like a blurry nightmare if they were to create a 1080p master. The only way to do it would be to completely redo the CGI from scratch and that just isn't going to happen. $$$$.
Kingpin liked this
Kingpin wrote: July 7th, 2019, 1:54 pm
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: July 7th, 2019, 12:51 pmAh so did they find the masters for the promo for the remaster on the 35th anniversary set?
An audio-less reel containing a copy of the promo animation came into the hands of Robert Barbieri, who had it scanned so it could be restored. The promo may well have been a rarity in the fact it was a film reel rather than a video cassette.
It was also obtained from a second hand source, who had no idea what they had in their possession. It was in a tin marked "Ghostbusters". Robert bought it and found out it was a film reel copy of the promo. Found by complete accident, and not even from the studio. It was amazing that it actually survived.
RichardLess wrote: July 7th, 2019, 9:09 pmIt's the same reason why Star Trek Deep Space 9 or Star Trek Voyager won't ever get a blu Ray release(unless serious money is spent). For Deep Space 9, after the 3rd season, they went from model based VFX to CGI. to save money the CGI was created on video instead of film. So the visual effects would look like a blurry nightmare if they were to create a 1080p master. The only way to do it would be to completely redo the CGI from scratch and that just isn't going to happen. $$$$.
This is actually similar to the early Power Rangers seasons. Everything was created on video. A blu-ray wouldn't be possible because the master is from a tape. They would have to transfer the american footage (if that even exists anymore) and reddit it along with the effects. They'd also have to get Toei to send them HD masters of the accompanying footage used in the episodes, which is possible since that was done on film, but would be pointless extra work for them unless they were planning to do a blu-ray of said Japanese series too. So possible, but too would be too expensive to transfer and re-edit it all.
Kingpin liked this
80sguy wrote: July 7th, 2019, 9:29 pm
Kingpin wrote: July 7th, 2019, 1:54 pm

It was also obtained from a second hand source, who had no idea what they had in their possession. It was in a tin marked "Ghostbusters". Robert bought it and found out it was a film reel copy of the promo. Found by complete accident, and not even from the studio. It was amazing that it actually survived.
RichardLess wrote: July 7th, 2019, 9:09 pmIt's the same reason why Star Trek Deep Space 9 or Star Trek Voyager won't ever get a blu Ray release(unless serious money is spent). For Deep Space 9, after the 3rd season, they went from model based VFX to CGI. to save money the CGI was created on video instead of film. So the visual effects would look like a blurry nightmare if they were to create a 1080p master. The only way to do it would be to completely redo the CGI from scratch and that just isn't going to happen. $$$$.
This is actually similar to the early Power Rangers seasons. Everything was created on video. A blu-ray wouldn't be possible because the master is from a tape. They would have to transfer the american footage (if that even exists anymore) and reddit it along with the effects. They'd also have to get Toei to send them HD masters of the accompanying footage used in the episodes, which is possible since that was done on film, but would be pointless extra work for them unless they were planning to do a blu-ray of said Japanese series too. So possible, but too would be too expensive to transfer and re-edit it all.

I just saw this link on Reddit: https://i.redd.it/6bjica02ii831.png
It's an animation cel from a particular episode. Look at the colour difference. Look how brilliant the original green is. That's the quality we are missing out on.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

EDIT: Accidentally left out a chunk in chapter one[…]