Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
savintheday wrote: January 21st, 2019, 5:37 pmI can only hope that Reitman isn't swayed by any of this, and doesn't make changes to the movie to appease these zealots.
I hope that he does appeal to the zealots, and puts in things from the 2016 movie that will piss them off. As I said elsewhere under another cyber-alias, if the Ghostbros think that their anger at ATC was big, wait until they see the reaction from feminists and everybody else who liked ATC and were dismayed by the fan's reaction.

Oh, wait...
back liked this
Lefty Throckmorton wrote: January 25th, 2019, 4:39 am
savintheday wrote: January 21st, 2019, 5:37 pmI can only hope that Reitman isn't swayed by any of this, and doesn't make changes to the movie to appease these zealots.
I hope that he does appeal to the zealots, and puts in things from the 2016 movie that will piss them off. As I said elsewhere under another cyber-alias, if the Ghostbros think that their anger at ATC was big, wait until they see the reaction from feminists and everybody else who liked ATC and were dismayed by the fan's reaction.

Oh, wait...
Some people just wanna watch the world burn...
seekandannoy liked this
timeware wrote: January 25th, 2019, 12:03 pm With 2020 being an election year I really hope GB20 doesn't get pulled into the political soup.
It already is as people are using this to further attack the women from ATC and bring up the idea that women don't belong on ghostbusters unless they are receptionist or damsels in distress. So already the film is seen by a large portion who are into equal opportunities a negative thing thanks to the typical ghostbros
SSJmole wrote: January 26th, 2019, 4:11 am
timeware wrote: January 25th, 2019, 12:03 pm With 2020 being an election year I really hope GB20 doesn't get pulled into the political soup.
It already is as people are using this to further attack the women from ATC and bring up the idea that women don't belong on ghostbusters unless they are receptionist or damsels in distress. So already the film is seen by a large portion who are into equal opportunities a negative thing thanks to the typical ghostbros
Id like to think that the Future Presidential Candidates (Man, Woman, Plant) would have more important things to address the public than a damn movie! :sigh:
Kingpin, Sav C liked this
back wrote: January 26th, 2019, 6:31 am
SSJmole wrote: January 26th, 2019, 4:11 am

Id like to think that the Future Presidential Candidates (Man, Woman, Plant) would have more important things to address the public than a damn movie! :sigh:
Been political does mean they address it. (Though president trump did insult the idea of women ghostbusters that sums that camp perfectly) but a movie is caught up in it by what it represents.

On here fans attack women one constantly and ignore anything that praises it or hate comments that do. The new movie making ghostbros attack women on twitter ect... Again and again makes it seem like you have a choice side with hatred of women or avoid the movie.

In today's world where actual change is happening for different races and sexes everything is more important than ever. Papa John's lost money when its head used the N word , Hulk Hogan used the N word and got thrown off WWE for 3 years. Celebrities are getting found guilty of sexual assaults more and more. The issues are important and that makes it political.

Seeing the way the misogynist and racist ghostbros have been and are still been makes people think twice. Ghostbusters 3 could have rivalved Infinuty war money but it won't because people will boycott because of the issues. Like I personally will not go the cinema to see this if it continues as I don't want to go and be surrounded by THE most toxic fandom around.

So you see politics and thoughts will factor in to this and sadly the ghostbros make it so the choice is easy. Moral stance or support hatred to women. Which is heartbreaking as ghostbusters shouldn't be that
I understand your reluctance, but I don't think anything is gained from boycotting GB2020. The first point is there's no way of knowing if any the audience you share the screen with would be from the toxic camp of "GhostBros", the second point being your choice to boycott it would ultimately do more harm than good to GB2020. While it's not the same as the efforts to boycott GB2016, as you're not doing it to intentionally hurt it, it could still have a negative impact on the future of the franchise post-2020.

We've been given a rare second chance to show there's still some life in this burned out burg, and we need some sweet humanity to mobilise it. :)
SSJmole liked this
Kingpin wrote: January 26th, 2019, 7:19 am I understand your reluctance, but I don't think anything is gained from boycotting GB2020. The first point is there's no way of knowing if any the audience you share the screen with would be from the toxic camp of "GhostBros", the second point being your choice to boycott it would ultimately do more harm than good to GB2020. While it's not the same as the efforts to boycott GB2016, as you're not doing it to intentionally hurt it, it could still have a negative impact on the future of the franchise post-2020.

We've been given a rare second chance to show there's still some life in this burned out burg, and we need some sweet humanity to mobilise it. :)
I do agree. I've said we need learn from past and not repeat it. But the fanse won't it's still got hatred aimed at anyone different to them.

This is July 20th , I'll watch the don't marvel film that's 10th July instead. I may catch 3 on dvd ect... But hosestly I'm at the point where I think if ghostbusters creates fans that are this toxic , I'd rather not have it at all at the point.

Which means fans of ghostbusters are actually making people who love ghostbusters hate it. I've seen women physically attacked , I've been harassed by ghostbusters fans when they found out I was Bisexual , I've seen racist abuse and more. That's not what ghostbusters should be about. But that's what fans have made it.
Our fandom may be getting trashed by the media, but only a vocal minority is saying that. It would be unwise to head to the front with an all-out roar. We know next to nothing aside from the teaser and that Reitman's son is directing it. That's it. So far, there's not nearly enough material to even criticize or judge. We can be doubtful, happy and anything in between, but I believe we have less material to bash or praise upon at the time than we did back in 2015.

As a fanbase, for decades, we've been involved in servicing our communities with help, selfless acts, donations, etc. We've proven time and again that we can do great things. And we need to continue doing such endeavours: to help people in need, to share, to not discriminate and to show that Ghostbusters is and always was for everyone.

Times are changing and we have a unique opportunity: we can do the opposite than in 2015. Simply responding to what the media has said may only hurt us more than it would actually help. Staying true to ourselves, continuing to help others, etc. This is what we've always been known for.

Replying to the hate with either negative or positive emotion would only validate the rising sounds of GB 2016's disappointed fans.

Let's sit this one through and just wait for the movie to come to fruition. There's a long road ahead and this road will pave the way for more (or not) Ghostbusters films.

Personally, I'm thankful that Sony has decided to FINALLY give us something that is close to what I always hoped for. We will (probably) finally get Ghostbusters 3, guys! This is a major event for us.

Let's remember a filmmaker who died almost 20 years ago: Stanley Kubrick (my point will be made by the end of the paragraph). Whenever people praised or hated him, did you ever hear of him replying back? No. He never have. After he directed 2001, he let the film be its own thing and never bothered to right or wrong anyone because deep down, he probably knew it wouldn't change much or be of any relevance.

In 2019, the smallest piece of information is candidate for media wildfire. Let's not act upon this. As I said before, we have a unique opportunity to act and render the vocal minority useless: by doing what we always have: helping others by whatever humane gesture the Ghostbusters community is known for.

It may not be right for the media to do this but the media does what it does: it needlessly spots on a rage point and exploits it because that's basically all it does. And by answering to it, we'd only further our fandom divide.

(If you ever look at my past posts from years back, I did bash the 2016 movie waaay before it was finished. I never had an ounce of faith in it. Granted, I still don't like it and will always voice my non-liking of it, but one thing I learned from that time: if someone found something to his or her liking in that movie, more power to them. Respecting one's love for a movie is as important as to respect said person. It was once possible for two people to share different views on the same movie and get along fine. It wasn't always about who's argument was better, but only arguing to make sure one's point of view was mastered. Not how flawed it may be.)

(sorry for the long post and if I'm going a bit off-topic at times.)
SSJmole wrote: January 26th, 2019, 7:33 amI may catch 3 on dvd ect... But hosestly I'm at the point where I think if ghostbusters creates fans that are this toxic , I'd rather not have it at all at the point.
No DVD experience is ever as good as watching the film on a cinema screen, Titanic loses so much from the fact you can't see the colossal nature of the ocean liner on a home television.

And then there's the shared experience, the wave that washes through you when you join the audience in laughing at one of the quips, you can'r recreate that when you're watching it on your own.

I hope you reconsider, as you may learn to regret boycotting it until it comes out on DVD. Boycotting it doesn't do a damn thing to change the asshole fans.
SSJmole, back liked this
Kingpin wrote: January 26th, 2019, 9:32 am
SSJmole wrote: January 26th, 2019, 7:33 amI may catch 3 on dvd ect... But hosestly I'm at the point where I think if ghostbusters creates fans that are this toxic , I'd rather not have it at all at the point.
No DVD experience is ever as good as watching the film on a cinema screen, Titanic loses so much from the fact you can't see the colossal nature of the ocean liner on a home television.

And then there's the shared experience, the wave that washes through you when you join the audience in laughing at one of the quips, you can'r recreate that when you're watching it on your own.

I hope you reconsider, as you may learn to regret boycotting it until it comes out on DVD. Boycotting it doesn't do a damn thing to change the asshole fans.
It doesn't do a thing no. But puts me away from then. Sure there's a % my local cinema won't have them but based on as I've said I've personally been treated by the fandom for been bisexual or fans treated a female in my family means I'm not willing to take the chance. I've seen the fandom for how it really is last few years and to quote star wars "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
SSJmole wrote: January 26th, 2019, 11:07 am
Kingpin wrote: January 26th, 2019, 9:32 am

It doesn't do a thing no. But puts me away from then. Sure there's a % my local cinema won't have them but based on as I've said I've personally been treated by the fandom for been bisexual or fans treated a female in my family means I'm not willing to take the chance. I've seen the fandom for how it really is last few years and to quote star wars "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

I'm trying to understand how being bisexual has anything to do with GB fandom. AFAIK, there has been NOTHING in GB cannon that would promote sexual discrimination. If you've had a bad experience, then it came from the person and not from content-based fandom.
savintheday liked this
montclaire wrote: January 26th, 2019, 12:14 pm
SSJmole wrote: January 26th, 2019, 11:07 am

I'm trying to understand how being bisexual has anything to do with GB fandom. AFAIK, there has been NOTHING in GB cannon that would promote sexual discrimination. If you've had a bad experience, then it came from the person and not from content-based fandom.
I didn't say it came from the canon but been beaded "ghost f**" on a Ghostbusters community I was a member of after they found out and constant hatred over it. Makes me say the fandom is just not tolerate anything but straight white males as seen the racist abuse to Leslie and the sexist shot many experienced.

But the fact so many liking it hate women or other Ra es or other sexualities is a problem. Sorry you don't see that.
SSJmole wrote: January 26th, 2019, 12:20 pm

I didn't say it came from the canon but been beaded "ghost f**" on a Ghostbusters community I was a member of after they found out and constant hatred over it. Makes me say the fandom is just not tolerate anything but straight white males as seen the racist abuse to Leslie and the sexist shot many experienced.

But the fact so many liking it hate women or other Ra es or other sexualities is a problem. Sorry you don't see that.

I can play this game, too. Personally I felt that ATC fandom consisted of man-hating feminazis, perpetuated African American stereotypes, and Holtzmann's flirting was #metoo before there was such a thing. Think I am being overly sensitive? Ok, well I think you are as well.

I have been checking this board for updates since ATC but haven't been contributing. The teaser got my excitement going again but I regret coming back here. And you know what? You're right - the fandom IS toxic. But not because of the super-minority who probably are sexist or racist, but because of the uber-liberal fans who strangle the life out of every conversation.

After all, as I was told ad nauseam in 2015/2016, IT'S ONLY A MOVIE!
savintheday, back liked this
montclaire wrote: January 26th, 2019, 1:07 pm
SSJmole wrote: January 26th, 2019, 12:20 pm

I can play this game, too. Personally I felt that ATC fandom consisted of man-hating feminazis, perpetuated African American stereotypes, and Holtzmann's flirting was #metoo before there was such a thing. Think I am being overly sensitive? Ok, well I think you are as well.

I have been checking this board for updates since ATC but haven't been contributing. The teaser got my excitement going again but I regret coming back here. And you know what? You're right - the fandom IS toxic. But not because of the super-minority who probably are sexist or racist, but because of the uber-liberal fans who strangle the life out of every conversation.

So I use real stuff that actually happened to me and people I know. And you respond by making crap up like her flirting was #metoo? Let me guess peters overly forceful flirting was ok right?

It's not a super-minority when I've seen it in real life , online , in communities and even attitudes here. It's everywhere.

This is why you can't talk to "ghost bros" if you complain that gender or sexuality was attack they sweep it under rug down play it and compare it to fictional crap. Like that's ok.
back liked this
SSJmole wrote: January 26th, 2019, 12:20 pmMakes me say the fandom is just not tolerate anything but straight white males as seen the racist abuse to Leslie and the sexist shot many experienced.
I appreciate experiences will vary, but I've been openly out in the community for seven years (check my avatar), and while I've seen a bit of homophobia and transphobia in my time (some users raised a stink when AJ produced a run of rainbow pride Ghostbusters pin badges, but that was almost exclusively on Facebook rather than here) - it's the exception, not the rule.

It's an unfortunate side-effect of the Ghostbusters community being like every other community in the world, there'll always be a collection of assholes in it, and some of those assholes will be digusting bigots.

And for what it's worth, anti-gay/anti-trans/anti-bi bigotry isn't welcome here, at all.
montclaire wrote: January 26th, 2019, 1:07 pmThink I am being overly sensitive? Ok, well I think you are as well.
Nothing like a dose of patronisation to end the day.
SSJmole wrote: January 26th, 2019, 12:20 pmbut because of the uber-liberal fans who strangle the life out of every conversation.

You know where the door is, montclaire. You're welcome to use it at any time should things get too "uber-liberal" for your liking, here. :eyeroll:

I think in hindsight, we can stick a fork in this topic.
SSJmole liked this

I just couldn't help myself and had to add texture[…]

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]

@GBfan77 No when I turn it off it still keeps firi[…]

Just to throw my experience in there. I've bough[…]