Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
I wanted to bring to light a persistent problem I have been encountering in the community as member who frequently creates digital, 2-D media. There have been several instances where I’ve found my pieces on other sites like Pinterest without any link to my original work or credit. The exposure only perpetuates the notion that digital media does not warrant credit and without an artist behind it, many find the work to be open game to modify it.

This seems to be especially true for works in fan communities where some believe since as we are building on a pre-existing artistic endeavor, our pieces are open source works to be edited without recompense. To me, this practice is akin to recasting and should be a similar taboo among the community.

I have never charged for my work and kept it free to the community only asking they go through me so I can have the final say as to where my work ends up. Both professional artists and amateur filmmakers have used my work, so I know its quality and do not want it sullied or stolen.

My most recent came from a Facebook page where a member blatantly stated he “came across these labels on another page” and made edits at his whim.

For reference, this is my original that I’ve had to put a watermark on as this has been a frequent problem.

Clearly, some copies without the watermark are still floating around. There are others who are clearly influenced by my design but at least built on it without taking the work and modifying it without my permission.

My message to the community is this, just as you wouldn’t recast or tolerate those who practice that, be equally as appalled by those doing this digitally. There are hours of hard work behind pieces and credit should be given for that. If you see a digital piece you enjoy, do not pawn it off as your own or make adjustments, give the artist their due.

If anyone can help me remove this plagiarism I would be greatly appreciated.
Glenn Frederick, Sav C liked this
While he doesn't seem to be selling derivatives, it is still bad form to copy another's work, whether it's an original design or recreation (like the pack labels). I understand your frustration, as I've had graphics that I've created for various prop/costuming groups stolen and sold for profit.

Fortunately, no one in this community has stolen any of my work. On the other hand, I have had some of my Ecto labels used without permission in the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Owner's Manual and possibly the new Spirit trap/goggles.
Glenn Frederick liked this
You're right, I am definitely lucky that he isn't making a profit as other works I've done I've had that problem. I totally feel for you in your frustration of having your work used with little to no control and I feel this is an issue that is not often mentioned in the community.

Unfortunately for me, the poster's response to my request has been juvenile and I have been answered only with annoying gifs denying and belittling my request. As I stated, any help convincing this individual in removing his post (as the Facebook group Admins have yet to respond) would be greatly appreciated.

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]