Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Westinghouse
Hi all
As a relatively new person to the GB scene (well - not to the films - but to the uniform and kit) I’m wondering how flexible are people’s views on being absolutely screen accurate to either GB1 or GB2?
For example - I’ve just learned that the ribbon cable is different between 1 and 2.
My pack has a GB2 cable but my flight suit is tan.

If I attend events like this - do I run the risk of getting chewed over by (what we call in the living history area) “Stitch nazis” ..!? Or are people pretty chilled out?
By Mercifull
I can't be bothered with 501st levels of elitism. I have a proper flight suit, my patch is pretty accurate and my name plate isn't bad. My leg hose connector is tan and my hose itself is yellow like from GB1. However, I have a Lifegard II (GB2) and my pistol belt is a darker grey than in the movie. My boots are also not screen accurate. My proton pack is "inspired by GB1" but also includes elements from GB2 also. It's a junk build out of foam and cardboard so i don't think it really matters anyway.
Masterson liked this
By doctorevil30564
Demon Vice Commander wrote:
Westinghouse wrote:My pack has a GB2 cable but my flight suit is tan.
Well, they did wear the khaki suits more than the dark grey suits in GB2...
My thoughts exactly. I'm shooting for a GB2 style pack when I'm done, but my name tag is GB1 style for my khaki flight suit, and my leg hose connector is tan, and my leg hose is clear. My thinking is that stuff didn't get retro fitted or swapped over to the newer GB2 specific stuff until they had been reopened for a while.
By Masterson
I'm sort of mixing and matching myself. Most of my uniform will look GB2. I accidentally bought a tan belt instead of the white to dye grey. My hose is clear and my connector is grey.
I also used the Primer article to start my build. My no logo patch will be GB1. Why? Because it never made any sense to me, personally, why they would have a 2 logo in the movie itself. I'm not knocking it at all, I like the 2 logo, I just prefer the original on the uniform.

my boots are also not screen accurate because I have to worry about comfort more than being "screen accurate."

Now, once I have finally finished a uniform, it's possible I may work on a "screen accurate" build later, but for now I'm happy with what I have. Also, between the 3 movies, 2 cartoon series, and the video game there's plenty of inspiration to be had for different builds. As long as someone can tell you're a ghostbuster, just have fun with it.
By Demon Vice Commander
My suit, pack, trap, and goggles are all GB1 accurate, while I wear a custom GB2 belt and gizmo most of the time (I hardly ever wear my GB1 belt and gizmo anymore). It's all about finding a happy medium between the various films and such. After all, most of us aren't "cosplaying" as a particular incarnation of one of the characters seen on-screen, but often as ourselves as Ghostbusters part of a modern "franchise" in our respective cities.
By Westinghouse
Its awesome to hear people are relatively chilled out about this. Such a nice community!

I’m going with an explanation that my kit is “post GB1 but pre GB2” ...!
By Alex Newborn
If you're like me, you'll start off rationalizing things based on money...

"Well, most of my pack is GB1 detailing, but that GB2 ribbon cable is so much cheaper, so I guess the explanation is that this is midway between the two films" etc.

And then the more you don the gear, and the more you watch the movie with a new eye for the little details, the more you will go back and tweak your outfit to your own individual preferences. Maybe that ribbon cable will really bug you and one day you'll spring for the GB1 style. Or maybe the opposite will happen, and you will finish it out with other GB2-specific details.

My gear is mostly GB1, and even when I did a charcoal gray suit with a GB2-font nametag, I opted for the GB1 logo out of personal preference. And yet, I still don't wear a belt gizmo, despite buying parts for at least 1.5 gizmo kits, and then a vintage calculator or two on top of that.

I like the OP's line about the "stitch Nazis". I've heard it called other things in various communities (usually "prop snobs") and I always think back to someone who pegged it as basically "I play dressup better than you".

And while I have many friends within the 501st who are really nice and generous to a fault, I always think back to being at the Smithsonian in 1998, looking at a screen-used Hoth Snowtrooper in the Magic of Myth exhibition, and overhearing a 501st guy telling his friend that it would not pass their requirements. I knew then and there that I might never desire to be a part of any community that held themselves 'above' the source material. LOL

Alex
Westinghouse, Sav C liked this
By Theoderic
Hi there

so here's my 10 cents about the GB1/2 gear screen accuracy. As like kinda most of the gostheads i'm mainly picking the elements i prefer to have on my stuff from both of the movies. I think it's really nice to have so alternatives to go cherry picking and still be somewhat close to the original look n feel - e.g. while i, in most cases i tend to go with GB1 as for the suits, logo, nametag and belts n stuff, even the yellow hose... BUT i prefer to have the black crank knob on my pack and use the GB2-cable due to the lack of being able to get a decent GB1-rainbow cable. The GB2-trap holster with the leatherstrap i like a lot more too (plus it makes sense to me to have some extra security to prevent the trap from falling off).

In terms of being a "stitch-nazi" i guess i am somewhat further down the frenzy-road than others - since i actually made my own patches, because all the logos i've found so far, didn't comply with my expectations - but hey - i would never go pick on somebody, who isn't running the same level of madness (yes - i know that it is ;) ) as i do.

So go "pick the cherrys you like and you feel comfortable with" is the advice i would give!
Sav C, Masterson liked this
By Westinghouse
Thank you all for your comments. It’s nice to hear from a community that recognises the difficulties and appreciates peoples involvement whatever their methods. It’s such a change from the living history community where you’re always slightly on guard because someone somewhere will tell you you’re doing it wrong or turn their nose up at your attempts.

As a follow up to this, I’ve recently purchased a Keymaster props gizmo - but I’ve gone for the GB1 as I think it’s visually nicer... it conflicts with my Gb2 pack but like you say - the ribbon cable is hard to find for a GB1!
By Alex Newborn
My GB1 ribbon cable is from the GBFans Shop from a few years back (currently out of stock).

I hear good things about the ones from Fincher Technologies, though I admit I have no idea what price they are.

Alex
By doctorevil30564
Alex Newborn wrote:My GB1 ribbon cable is from the GBFans Shop from a few years back (currently out of stock).

I hear good things about the ones from Fincher Technologies, though I admit I have no idea what price they are.

Alex
It looks like they sell them for $55 plus $9 to ship to U.S. address per the post from January on their Facebook page.
https://m.facebook.com/finchertechnologies/
By Esbe77
Hi.
I'm slowly making a GB2 uniform and thought of mixing in the elbow pads and pistol belt from GB1 in order for it to feel a bit more "standing out". Maybe a bit weird but I never dug the black pistol belt for GB2 as it got lost in the details or blends too well with the dark navy suits we have to get instead of grey for the movie.

Same for the leg hose. I didn't think it was "cool" or too different from GB1 to have a transparent one, so I intend to put the regular yellow leg hose on the GB2 uniform.

On a final note, I may keep the GB1 lettering for the name patch, as it felt more adequate to me. Question of tastes I suppose, but I will keep the GB2 logo, as I do still like it a lot ^_^
Masterson liked this
    Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]