Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By GBDRE760
Don't get me wrong guys.... I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see Ghostbusters as a Netflix show..... BUT......

From what I am reading, Dan Aykroyd wants to make it about the Ghostbusters in school before they turned into Ghostbusters. I think that is a recipe for disaster. I grew up on Ghostbusters. I was the kid that grabbed his proton pack just to watch The Real Ghostbusters as it aired on TV. What would the Ghostbusters be without driving the Ecto-1 or busting any ghosts? Those moments of the show were so HYPE!!!! That was when I was excited as a kid. I just wouldn't want to see the show do like the 2016 movie and fail. I think what Ghostbusters Station 6 is doing would make a great Netflix show. I just think a Netflix show of Ghostbusters should tie into the original two movies somehow, even if it is about a certain franchise. Maybe have cameo appearances here and there by members of the original cast, like for example, when the franchise has to call into the head office or needs the help of the head office. Maybe even have Maurice LaMarche occasionally voice a CGI Egon.
As BIG of a Ghosthead that I am, I just don't think the Ghostbusters in school BEFORE they were Ghostbusters will actually be an interesting show. I give that one season, two seasons tops. What do you guys think? I actually wouldn't mind seeing it be a mixed team of guys and girls, like the Extreme Ghostbusters.
By Esbe77
The way I see it, it's a bit strange how Ghostbusters turned into such a "let's see all the possibilities". It looks as if the studio just clearly has even less of an idea, let alone a plan, of what to do next.

The reboot failed, and now they're trying to stick to the things that are successful today, and they want to attach Ghostbusters' title to it. Which is the perfect storm for failure in my opinion. Ghostbusters is its own thing. It needs to forge its own universe, not be a copy of anything else.

I don't want to see the guys in high school, I too want to see them ride the Ecto-1, to bust ghosts and such. Not "waste" an entire series before going into what lead to the first movie.

In fact, if anything, they could try and stretch the events of the first film (if they're THAT desperate) into a complete season. It worked for "Dusk Till Dawn", it may work for this.
GBDRE760 liked this
By philmorgan81
I agree I don't want to see the Ghostbusters before they become Ghostbusters. There just doesn't seem to be much point. I don't get the obsession Hollywood has with making shows that are based before our heroes become the heroes we know. I hated Smallville, I refuse to watch Gotham and I am going to pass on Krypton. I don't see it fairing too well for Ghostbusters. Now if they want to make a show for Netfkix I think it should focus on a different set of Ghostbusters starting their own franchise in another city. Of course have it take place in the same world as the original films. It could be like The Stargate Shows from SyFy. They could build the world and create new teams and multiple shows and have them crossover with one another. I would say do something like that. The Fan Films have already done a good Job establishing other Franchises I would just like to see Sony make the Franchising thing Canon. ;).

That could pave the way for Ecto Force and keep fans appetites wet for Ghostbusters while we wait for Sony to make a better Movie. I would like for future movies to continue focusing on the Ghostbusters of New York. :):):)
mrmichaelt, GBDRE760 liked this
By GBDRE760
philmorgan81 wrote:I agree I don't want to see the Ghostbusters before they become Ghostbusters. There just doesn't seem to be much point. I don't get the obsession Hollywood has with making shows that are based before our heroes become the heroes we know. I hated Smallville, I refuse to watch Gotham and I am going to pass on Krypton. I don't see it fairing too well for Ghostbusters. Now if they want to make a show for Netfkix I think it should focus on a different set of Ghostbusters starting their own franchise in another city. Of course have it take place in the same world as the original films. It could be like The Stargate Shows from SyFy. They could build the world and create new teams and multiple shows and have them crossover with one another. I would say do something like that. The Fan Films have already done a good Job establishing other Franchises I would just like to see Sony make the Franchising thing Canon. ;).

That could pave the way for Ecto Force and keep fans appetites wet for Ghostbusters while we wait for Sony to make a better Movie. I would like for future movies to continue focusing on the Ghostbusters of New York. :):):)
I think your right. I also would love to add, I have NO CLUE why WE THE FANS aren't being consulted in what we want. I am wondering if Sony sees Ghostbusters as some kind of cash in method to make an extra buck since it is still popular. I say that because finding anything on the market as far as Ghostbusters went was really hard before the video game. When that other company started releasing videos fir their version of a Ghostbusters game, Sony quickly shut them down and gave us teasers of their Ghostbusters video game, which I instantly preordered. WE didn't want Pauls version of Ghostbusters, although it wasn't so bad after watching it a few times, I wish they mixed the team with guys and girls. But the bottom line is WE as fans gave it a thumbs down before we even saw the trailer and they did it anyways. They may own the rights but we as FANS ARE WHAT IS KEEPING THE FRANCHISE ALIVE. IT IS A PART OF ME. They should come check on here. See the things we talk about. Interact with us as a community and find out what type of things we may like. Like I said, I would love to see a gender mixed team like the Extreme Ghostbusters but hopefully still using the original proton packs or new packs that still have the style of the original in a fresh way. We as fans can throw out the ideas that can be written on and ultimately get exactly what Ghostbusters fans want!
By JurorNo.2
I think that with any idea, you'll always have someone saying, "That sounds like a disaster." That doesn't mean the idea is a disaster. Yes, sometimes prequels don't work out, but that's not "because they're prequels." Smallville was hugely successful for years. Gotham's been on for four seasons now. Clearly the general audience (or GA) likes them.

And I know we hate the idea of "art by committee," but "art by fandom" isn't a guarantee for success either. Just because fans like fan films doesn't mean the GA will. Extreme Ghostbusters only lasted one season and if I had to guess, it was likely in part because the GA just weren't that interested in new characters. They enjoyed ATC's a bit more (there's no denying it brought new interest to the franchise as a whole), but still would have preferred a stronger tie to the past. Given that, a prequel might be the way to go, even if it's with other actors. That certainly worked with the Star Trek reboots (until they got lazy, but that's another story).

Obviously the big question is, "Well if the guys weren't busting ghosts in High School or College, what would they be doing?" I certainly think Netflix or whoever would address that. They probably would have to do what Smallville did and mess with the established story somewhat. I personally wouldn't mind so long as it was done well.
By timeware
Ghostbusters in high school also means no Winston. They can probably find a work around that but that inconsistency is going to bug the fans since he shows up in the middle of the first film. I also have no issue with a pre series going into a reboot of the first movie as long as it doesn't take ten seasons to do this.

Extreme Ghostbusters only lasted a season due to poor advertising and as I remember bizarre show times. Same thing Cartoon Network did with Megas XLR.

If they were to do something like "Saved by the bell with proton packs" and not put the CW in charge it could have some success. Having them in college, rather then highschool would be a better fit. I'm not opposed to replacing the OG's with a look alike cast.
By JurorNo.2
timeware wrote:Ghostbusters in high school also means no Winston. They can probably find a work around that but that inconsistency is going to bug the fans
I'm really over all the nitpicking and canon stuff. And again, so is the GA.
Extreme Ghostbusters only lasted a season due to poor advertising
I'm sure that was part of it as well. I'm just saying, I remember briefly coming across it at the time and wondering if it was that "other" Ghostbusters cartoon, lol. It was off putting to see different characters.
Having them in college, rather then highschool would be a better fit.
There I agree. They would certainly have more opportunities to develop science skills in college.
By Lee FW
Would be fun to see them in the late 60s early 70s in college (wouldn't be too keen on going younger than that tbh) I'd have it a bit like a more comedic X-Files, Ray as the true believer Mulder, Egon as the sceptic Scully. Each episode investigating a different crackpot local legend, ufo sightings, sasquatch etc, mostly debunking along the way but with the occasional unexplained phenomeman that sows the seeds of what they'll become. Peter would just be along for the ride I guess.

If we're going prequel though what I would absolutely love is jump even further back and have a Tobin series. Could have more a Hellboy/Penny Dreadfull vibe. Pepper in some familiar ghosts and demons like Samhain and Terror Dogs and I think that would satisfy us nerds with a bit of visual continuity while giving us something completely different.
Sav C liked this
By mrmichaelt
A story about John Tobin traveling around the world gathering information for his Spirit Guide book is a show I could get around. Tristan Jones' story from the IDW comic, #8, is a good idea of what I'd like to see.

As for an actual Ghostbusters show, I lean more towards set in the present/future with different franchises.
By *NormalGamer*
mrmichaelt wrote:A story about John Tobin traveling around the world gathering information for his Spirit Guide book is a show I could get around. Tristan Jones' story from the IDW comic, #8, is a good idea of what I'd like to see.

As for an actual Ghostbusters show, I lean more towards set in the present/future with different franchises.
@ *referring to bold*

I second this; whether it's animated or not. And the legacy of the OGB's will be the backbone of these different branches of GB franchises leaving them with their own ghostbusting stories and arcs to tell. Ivan reitman himself has the same idea.
mrmichaelt liked this
By Clifton Sleigh
GBDRE760 wrote:
philmorgan81 wrote:I think your right. I also would love to add, I have NO CLUE why WE THE FANS aren't being consulted in what we want. I am wondering if Sony sees Ghostbusters as some kind of cash in method to make an extra buck since it is still popular. I say that because finding anything on the market as far as Ghostbusters went was really hard before the video game. When that other company started releasing videos fir their version of a Ghostbusters game, Sony quickly shut them down and gave us teasers of their Ghostbusters video game, which I instantly preordered. WE didn't want Paul's version of Ghostbusters, although it wasn't so bad after watching it a few times, I wish they mixed the team with guys and girls. But the bottom line is WE as fans gave it a thumbs down before we even saw the trailer and they did it anyways. They may own the rights but we as FANS ARE WHAT IS KEEPING THE FRANCHISE ALIVE. IT IS A PART OF ME. They should come check on here. See the things we talk about. Interact with us as a community and find out what type of things we may like. Like I said, I would love to see a gender mixed team like the Extreme Ghostbusters but hopefully still using the original proton packs or new packs that still have the style of the original in a fresh way. We as fans can throw out the ideas that can be written on and ultimately get exactly what Ghostbusters fans want!
Do you and the other fans of this franchise not get it that you all don't own this franchise? Sony does, and they had a good right to make the 2016 movie, especially considering how much procrastination both Aykroyd and Ramis put up with regards to a sequel.

You were never going to get a third movie with the original cast, no matter how much everybody wanted it. And having the same set-up as Extreme Ghostbusters for a third movie wouldn't have worked either, I don't think.
Last edited by Clifton Sleigh on June 20th, 2022, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By zeta otaku
If they do a NETFLIX series, I think it would have to be either A) a series using new characters set in either established universe (new franchise in a different city) which would allow for story lines and character arcs you couldn't do with the 8 establ8shed Ghostbusters or B) if they do a "before they were famous" series dealing with the original team, they would have to take creative license and give them some kind of ghostbusting equipment well before they set up shop in the firehouse.

I doubt anyone would watch a series called Ghostbusters where there isn't any ghost busting.
*NormalGamer*, GBDRE760 liked this
By timeware
Do you and the other fans of this franchise not get it that you all don't own this franchise? Sony does, and they had a good right to make the 20116 movie, especially considering how much procrastination both Aykroyd and Ramis put up with regards to a sequel.
Of course we realize we don't own it. Al gore gave us the internet and we choose to bitch about Movies and cartoons. This site is one of the most popular GB websites online. If the big wigs decide to take our ideas it does occasionally help the franchise. :garrett:
GBDRE760 liked this
By JurorNo.2
timeware wrote: Al gore gave us the internet and we choose to bitch about Movies and cartoons.
A little bitching now and then is fine. A lot more enjoyment would be nice. Social media in general has become so miserable and it's not healthy for society.

(Timeware, I know it seems like I'm picking at you lately, but I don't mean to be.)
If the big wigs decide to take our ideas it does occasionally help the franchise.
The one idea I think they should have listened to was tying the reboot universe more to the original movies.
By Sav C
JurorNo.2 wrote:Social media in general has become so miserable and it's not healthy for society.
Well there's some good and bad in everything, really. The internet has been a good tool for sharing knowledge and communicating (through email), and I think social media is the bad exploitation that was bound to follow after the creation of the internet. The first president of Facebook recently came out and admitted that when they were designing Facebook they purposely made it as addictive as possible, by creating a social feedback loop. Basically they addict you to getting as many likes as possible, and when you are not using the site you are either wondering how many likes and comments you've gotten, or you're contemplating what will be your next post (that was their intent, anyway). I'm not a big poster, probably averaging less than once a month (and that includes shares), however I see things on an almost a daily basis and think "I should post that to Facebook". I don't think it's healthy as it's linked to many mental health problems and degrades actual face to face social skills. Some people seem really good at interacting online, but not face to face. I mainly got on so I could message friends (and keep in touch with people who live far away), but I realized recently that most people don't seem to even like receiving messages that much. Anyway, sorry for the rant, as you can probably tell thinking about social media's impacts on society is something that's on my mind often.
*NormalGamer* liked this

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]