Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By DarkSpectre
JurorNo.2 wrote:
DarkSpectre wrote:
I was referring to the movie as a whole, not just the trailer. But I'll be the first to admit, it's not my kind of humor in the first place.
Well as far as McKinnon this movie hasn't hurt her at all, her fanbase is huge right now. She's got the grown ups watching SNL and the teens and young adults watching ATC. Jones is also very popular on SNL and a lot of people say she was their favorite part of ATC. I'll meet you halfway, I don't think the trailer showed her "worst" moments, but it did show the most unsubtle ones, which didn't give entirely the right impression. But again, people in my theaters liked her moments in the trailer and movie.
And in the 2 viewings I took in, no one laughed. However McKinnon's stock has gone up substantially with me after her performances on SNL during the election and currently, Still despise McCarthy (although I'm enjoying her Sean Spicer) and Jones was perfectly fine when she wasn't an over the top screaming stereotype. Here's something to think about too: Holtzman and Tolan were the ones that flew off the shelves when the figures hit clearance which leads me to believe that had Jones and McKinnon remained in the cast that Yates and Gilbert could've easily been played by other actresses or even men.
deadderek liked this
By JurorNo.2
Any character can easily be played by other actors. And the original GB characters are not equal in popularity, doesn't mean some were cast correctly and some weren't.
By JurorNo.2
DarkSpectre wrote:Tell that to all the Gilbert figures collecting dust in the clearance section at Walmart :) I feel bad for Wiig, I like her but I don't think her character was well liked
Erin isn't meant to be flashy, she's not the big action star. She's funny, and this IS a comedy. I liked her quite a bit. :) Not everyone shows their fandom by buying action figures.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on February 13th, 2017, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DarkSpectre
You're also a fan of the film too. So yeah of course you like her lol. I'm say that from a purely business perspective that her figure was the worst selling and that sucks because I think shes a phenomenal performer.
By JurorNo.2
DarkSpectre wrote:You're also a fan of the film too. So yeah of course you like her lol.
More like, I like her and therefore I'm a fan of the fim. ;)
I'm say that from a purely business perspective that her figure was the worst selling and that sucks because I think shes a phenomenal performer.
If I was working for Mattel or whatever that would suck, but again, I'm not the fan who breaks my wallet buying toys. It does not bother me. A lot of those fangirls online who love Holtzmann, I don't see them showing off action figures either. Not everyone does that. I'll go out of a limb and say boys are more likely to want action figures than girls. So yeah, if the action figures aren't selling, I put that mostly on the boys. ;)
By DarkSpectre
JurorNo.2 wrote:
DarkSpectre wrote:You're also a fan of the film too. So yeah of course you like her lol.
More like, I like her and therefore I'm a fan of the fim. ;)
I'm say that from a purely business perspective that her figure was the worst selling and that sucks because I think shes a phenomenal performer.
If I was working for Mattel or whatever that would suck, but again, I'm not the fan who breaks my wallet buying toys. It does not bother me.
I'm not either. I buy what interests me. Which I why I didn't just go out and blindly support this film because it was called "Ghostbusters". I gave it a chance and didn't like it. Did buy my wife a Yates figure when they hit 5 bucks on clearance since it resembles her in her uniform, she wants me to paint it though lol

Whoa, there don't instantly blame boys for a poor marketing decision on Sony and Mattel. As the parent of an 8 year old boy I'm over that "boys should play with girls toys if not they're sexist crap. If you don't have kids, you don't get it.
Last edited by DarkSpectre on February 13th, 2017, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pferreira1983 liked this
By JurorNo.2
DarkSpectre wrote:Which I why I didn't just go out and blindly support this film because it was called "Ghostbusters".
I don't know why this fear of "blindly supporting" something has become such a thing lately. Who are you worried about looking "blind" to? Why are you so worried about being fooled? It just the Internet's strange, general fear of feeling anything remotely positive these days. A little loyalty, and giving something the benefit of the doubt, is not automatically a bad thing. I mean I might think a friend is going off in a bad direction, but I'll still stand by them overall. Not just during the good times.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By JurorNo.2
DarkSpectre wrote:This film did nothing to earn my admiration.
I'm talking about loyalty. If it does well, the whole franchise does well. If it does badly, the whole franchise suffers.
By JurorNo.2
DarkSpectre wrote:Perhaps, but I'm pretty sure I was loyal to the franchise waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before this film.
Absolutely but we aren't waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back anymore. We're in the now, and there is the future.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By JurorNo.2
The original was never in danger of not being alive and...viable (whatever that last one means). And I don't need to hold it so tight that it prevents me from seeing future possibilities. I'm telling you guys, this is the reception to GBII all over again. This fanbase just doesn't forgive anything for not being "as good" as the original.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By DarkSpectre
The franchise was quiet and dormant from 1997 to 2007. All we had were builds and Aykroyd's occasional interviews giving us some hope. That's why we all lost our shit when the game and the Matty Collector figures came out.
HunterCC, deadderek liked this
By JurorNo.2
DarkSpectre wrote:The franchise was quiet and dormant from 1997 to 2007.
During that quiet and dormant period, the general public (which made the movie a classic) had very fond memories of Ghostbusters. Not bizarre rants over feminism, or childhoods supposedly being erased by reboots. If the fanbase wanted to revolt to such a degree over a reboot that's their choice, but they can't do that and expect their reputation, and the reputation of the franchise, to come out of it unscathed. A tiny ounce of loyalty would have gone further.
By pferreira1983
JurorNo.2 wrote:A lot of the lines in the trailer I found to be much funnier when in the context of watching the movie from start to finish, as is the case with many trailers.

The visual effects were amazing. Period.
I guess that's your type of humour. I found what was in the trailer representative of the final movie and no the visual effects were pretty bad considering what the original did...period.
Kingpin wrote:Not mention how utterly condensed Patty was in it, her two worst scenes shown in prominence and some of her best scenes/lines not used.
But what best lines did she have?
JurorNo.2 wrote:I'll go out of a limb and say boys are more likely to want action figures than girls. So yeah, if the action figures aren't selling, I put that mostly on the boys. ;)
The toy company were naive to think that boys would want to buy all female action figures since they would have trouble relating to them. Yeah that sucks but it's the truth. If anything it was young girls who should have bought those figures as that was the target audience apart from obviously avid collectors.
DarkSpectre wrote:I still support the GB brand hell , I'm building 2 packs at the moment, just not this incarnation. This film did nothing to earn my admiration. Sorry it just didn't. But at least I tried
I feel the same way.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
I'm talking about loyalty. If it does well, the whole franchise does well. If it does badly, the whole franchise suffers.
JurorNo.2 wrote: If the fanbase wanted to revolt to such a degree over a reboot that's their choice, but they can't do that and expect their reputation, and the reputation of the franchise, to come out of it unscathed. A tiny ounce of loyalty would have gone further.
Wow, I have to totally disagree with you here. Yeah I'm a fan but that doesn't mean I have to force myself to love every single product that is put out with the Ghostbusters name plastered on. Loyalty only gets you so far when what's put out doesn't meet some kind of standard. Essentially you're saying to people who didn't like ATC that they're not loyal fans because they don't like the reboot. To me that sounds absolutely naive. I like Star Trek but do I have to like Star Trek: Nemesis? If I don't like that movie am I not a fan then?
555-2368 liked this
By JurorNo.2
pferreira1983 wrote: To me that sounds absolutely naive. I like Star Trek but do I have to like Star Trek: Nemesis? If I don't like that movie am I not a fan then?
To me, you sound far too paranoid and suspicious. Especially toward a franchise that's given you a great deal. You talk about Star Trek, I'll take a quote from Spock: "History is filled with turning points; we must have faith that the universe will unfold as it should."
*NormalGamer* liked this
By *NormalGamer*
JurorNo.2 wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote: To me that sounds absolutely naive. I like Star Trek but do I have to like Star Trek: Nemesis? If I don't like that movie am I not a fan then?
To me, you sound far too paranoid and suspicious. Especially toward a franchise that's given you a great deal. You talk about Star Trek, I'll take a quote from Spock: "History is filled with turning points; we must have faith that the universe will unfold as it should."
@ *referring to bold*

Indeed it should; just as in real life and in fiction, regardless of the outcome.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By Sav C
pferreira1983 wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:A lot of the lines in the trailer I found to be much funnier when in the context of watching the movie from start to finish, as is the case with many trailers.

The visual effects were amazing. Period.
I guess that's your type of humour. I found what was in the trailer representative of the final movie and no the visual effects were pretty bad considering what the original did...period.
I found the trailer to be a poor representation of the final movie. I don't think anyone would argue that the original (and GBII) handled the SFX with more finesse than the reboot did, but they both have their strong points as well as their weaknesses. There is a lot of charm to the original movie's effects, but some of the composites have problems. For instance, the library ghost shots are almost perfect, but the book is transparent in some of them. The reboot's composites are all very clean. Comparing the two movie's composites, I'd say the first movie's effects (due to how well they are used to serve the story) are easier to believe, while the reboot's effects are more realistic looking.

The in-camera effects from the first two movies I find to be easily the most convincing.

To be honest I think Ghostbusters II has the best effects of the three films. It uses the same level of finesse as the the first movie effects-wise, at the same time it has clean composites, and top notch in-camera effects.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By pferreira1983
JurorNo.2 wrote:Especially toward a franchise that's given you a great deal. You talk about Star Trek, I'll take a quote from Spock: "History is filled with turning points; we must have faith that the universe will unfold as it should."
The great thing to come out of the return of Ghostbusters is Ghost Corps. I'm not ungrateful towards that but I find it a terrible shame the first movie we got was so substandard. As I said just because I'm a Ghostbusters fan doesn't mean I need to support and appreciate every part of it. Apart from ATC there are parts of the franchise I'm also not big fan of like Extreme Ghostbusters. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan if I don't immediately like it right?
Sav C wrote: I'd say the first movie's effects (due to how well they are used to serve the story) are easier to believe, while the reboot's effects are more realistic looking.
I didn't find the effects in the new movie that groundbreaking or well done compared to the original. It's a personal thing I guess. You've seen people have a go at me on this site for apparently not understanding what good CGI is so if it makes you feel any better what would I know?
Peter33vr wrote:I really love Ghostbusters 2 proton streams and how they are "lazo-ing" the ghosts!
Yeah, they really nailed it for the sequel.
555-2368 liked this
By JurorNo.2
pferreira1983 wrote:I find it a terrible shame the first movie we got was so substandard.
Well at least your knack for hyperbole isn't substandard, hehe. ;)
As I said just because I'm a Ghostbusters fan doesn't mean I need to support and appreciate every part of it.
Like I said, you don't need to, but there are consequences to the constant negativity and overreacting. That was the whole point of GBII, ya know.
*NormalGamer*, 555-2368 liked this
By pferreira1983
JurorNo.2 wrote:Well at least your knack for hyperbole isn't substandard, hehe. ;)
Hyperbole? What did I say? :-?
JurorNo.2 wrote:Like I said, you don't need to, but there are consequences to the constant negativity and overreacting. That was the whole point of GBII, ya know.
Ok I understand. Thanks.
By HunterCC
pferreira1983 wrote:The great thing to come out of the return of Ghostbusters is Ghost Corps. I'm not ungrateful towards that but I find it a terrible shame the first movie we got was so substandard. As I said just because I'm a Ghostbusters fan doesn't mean I need to support and appreciate every part of it. Apart from ATC there are parts of the franchise I'm also not big fan of like Extreme Ghostbusters. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan if I don't immediately like it right?
Amen, and love this site where I can check on GB news.

Can't believe GB16 arguments are still going on. Thought those debates for settled weeks ago. As far as the special effects goes, some of the practical ones and the parade balloons were good though nothing remarkable, but the ghost themselves were so ridiculous with the neon glow, they were one of the things that took me out of the movie during the action scenes. Seriously Pixels special effects were just as good, and from what little I've seen so were the Scooby-Doo movies. (This is not a good thing)
pferreira1983 wrote:I didn't find the effects in the new movie that groundbreaking or well done compared to the original. It's a personal thing I guess. You've seen people have a go at me on this site for apparently not understanding what good CGI is so if it makes you feel any better what would I know?
Kind of sad considering there's a 33 year difference between the two movies.

pferreira1983 wrote:
Peter33vr wrote:I really love Ghostbusters 2 proton streams and how they are "lazo-ing" the ghosts!
Yeah, they really nailed it for the sequel.
Lol, yeah GB16 didn't even get that right.
Last edited by Kingpin on March 9th, 2017, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Corrected quote attributing
pferreira1983 liked this
By Kingpin
HunterCC wrote:Can't believe GB16 arguments are still going on. Thought those debates for settled weeks ago.
Then by all means, don't start critiquing the reboot's visual effects in this thread when there are so many posts doing that very thing in the reboot sub-forum.

Beyond Ecto-Force (I'm gonna say it actually, that title sounds more dated than Extreme Ghostbusters actually does, weirdly), the foreseeable future for the franchise is merchandise tie-ins.
Alphagaia, Sav C, mrmichaelt liked this
By HunterCC
Kingpin wrote:
HunterCC wrote:Can't believe GB16 arguments are still going on. Thought those debates for settled weeks ago.
Then by all means, don't start critiquing the reboot's visual effects in this thread when there are so many posts doing that very thing in the reboot sub-forum.

Beyond Ecto-Force (I'm gonna say it actually, that title sounds more dated than Extreme Ghostbusters actually does, weirdly), the foreseeable future for the franchise is merchandise tie-ins.
Well, on that note, hope Reitman and Co. can recreate the magic of the animated series, next. I think an animated reboot or continuation of Extreme Ghostbusters would be great. The positive reactions to the "cameos" in GB16, and in Force Awakens and Rogue One, indicates building from the past is a good way to get a franchise kick-started again.
By goldenhawk
Damn people. Disney's Beauty and The Beast live action remake has already made close to $400 million worldwide at the box office. Hell, it took two months at the box office for the stupid F-busters remake to make $270 million (and it still lost $70 million).

It is movies that pull in huge box office numbers like Beauty and the Beast that always reminds us of what Sony could have done............
deadderek, 555-2368 liked this
PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?

Also, sorry I can’t answer the question, but[…]

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]