Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Alex Newborn
[Not sure if this is the right spot, so please move this if necessary!]

So, I am wanting to find a couple of old Saturday Night Live skits from the 80's or thereabouts.

One was when Sigourney Weaver hosted and Church Lady (Dana Carvey) had 'Zuul' as a guest on Church Chat. I used to have that one on VHS, not sure where it might be now though.

The other had Jim Belushi as the jumpsuited fanboy host of a cable-access program called The Ghostbusters Show. His guests were two girls he met in line at his latest time seeing Ghostbusters in theatres, so this one must've come out in 1984. One of them was played by Mary Gross, not sure who the other one was.

He asked them who their favorite Ghostbuster was, and they said "the little nerd", which annoyed Jim.

Alex
By Mike_D
There was also a skit involving Cheri O'Teri and I THINK Chris Kattan, she was dressed up as a tooth brush and he was toothpaste and everytime they answered the door they played the GB theme and sang it like "toothbrushers!"

I wanna see that skit too lol.
By irrelevanttomfoolery
I actually just watched that SNL episode with the Church Lady and Zuul. They have it streaming on Hulu Plus right now. Season 12, Episode 1. I took some screen-grabs for those who haven't seen it before.
By Alex Newborn
Cool, thanks for the archive guide and the screengrabs, everyone!

I had forgotten that Sigourney Weaver's pet playwright, Christopher Durang, was in the 'Zuul'/Church Chat skit as well.

Dug up the following info about the Belushi skit:
http://snl.jt.org/ep.php?i=198411100

Aired November 10, 1984... George Carlin was the host, Frankie Goes to Hollywood was the musical guest.

From some other googling, I discovered that Mary Gross plays a semi-recurring character Chi Chi while her best friend Consuela is played by Julia-Louis Dreyfus.

Alex
By Alex Newborn
Just seeing the pics made me remember more about that skit... such as when Zuul speaks in her demonic voice, and Church Lady quips, "Well, appears we have a little frog in our throat."

And here's something odd... Dana Carvey was the first comedian I ever saw live in concert (and yes he did Church Lady), and George Carlin was the second.

Found a pic from the Ghostbusters Show skit, it's tiny though.

Says Belushi's character is named Chad Webb, and Harry Shearer does the off-camera voice of a phone-in caller.

Thought this was also mildly noteworthy... earlier in the same 1984 episode, Billy Crystal plays Joe Franklin in a parody of the real-life NY-based talk host who asks Dan Aykroyd about Elvis in the movie!

Alex
By Alex Newborn
Yeah, that's "Jackie Rogers, Jr.", a role Short originated on SCTV and resurrected on SNL... probably my least favorite character he ever did.

JRJ appeared on SNL four times, according to the archives, once more on the Joe Franklin spoof, hosting his own game show "Jackie Rogers, Jr.'s $100,000 Jackpot Wad", and then on some Barbara Walters thing.

Also on the couch with Jackie in the 1984 skit are Carlin as "Dan Haloran" and Christopher Guest as the Castillian-lisped ventriloquist "Senor Cosa" (Cotha!)

Per the archive listings, Sr. Cosa only made one other appearance, again on the Joe Franklin Show parody, in March of '85.

But back to Belushi's "The Ghostbusters Show" skit, as the original GB super-fan, here's a slightly better pic of Mry Gross and Julia Louis-Dreyfus as "Chi Chi" and "Consuela" respectively...

...although this pic is from one of two later appearances they did in 1985, hosting their own talk shows.

Poor "Chad Webb" was a one-off character.

Alex
By Alex Newborn
Well, I found the Church Chat skit on an old VHS tape. Tried to upload it on YouTube but it's banned worldwide by NBC.

Still looking for the Belushi skit.

Alex
By Alex Newborn
Awesome, thanks! Some really good stuff in those clips.

So cool to see that Jim Belushi/Mary Gross/Julia Louis-Dreyfus clip again. I doubt' I'd seen it since it originally aired.

On the horizon, I recently unearthed the VHS tape that I kept in my VCR throughout the summer of 1989, and am digitizing all of the interview clips it contains.

Alex

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]