Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Seth Rex
Is it ever stated just what happened to Dana's old apartment complex after the events of Ghostbusters? Did they fix it up or what? I'm asking cause you never hear anything about it in Ghostbusters II.
By zeta otaku
It's New York and damn good real estate. You can bet your ass that building was repaired... though, I'm sure the rent on Dana's floor was probably lowered due to the "rumors" of what had happened (rumors is in quotes since by GB2, the events of GB1 were totally swept under the rug and the GBs were labelled con artists)
Sav C, Krypton_Son liked this
By mrmichaelt
In the PC/PS3/XBox versions of Ghostbusters: The Video Game, in the cinematic before you start the last level - the apartment is in the background all fixed up. It's in 1991 so 7 years later. The renovated version basically appears how it looks in real life.

In terms of trivia, in the Ghostbusters II August 5, 1988 draft, Ray alluded to the building on page 5 at the birthday party and on page 20 at Ray's Occult. But he's just referencing their battle with Gozer, climbing the stairs, meeting the Terror Dogs, blowing up the roof etc. And it's also shown up in the IDW comics and recently was used in Crytpzoic's first board game.
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
There's a brief mention of it from Winston just after the birthday party in GBII, but it doesn't allude to the fate of the building

However, 550 CPW does show up in the first arc of the IDW comic after it became a monthly series, at first appearing in a repaired but downsized state that more closely resembles what 55 CPW really looks like, but is then transformed later in the storyline by Ildulnas to a corrupted version of it's design prior to the battle with Gozer.
mrmichaelt wrote:In the PC/PS3/XBox versions of Ghostbusters: The Video Game, in the cinematic before you start the last level - the apartment is in the background all fixed up. It's in 1991 so 7 years later. The renovated version basically appears how it looks in real life.
While I can't say the building in question wasn't intended to stand in for Dana's apartment building, it isn't 55/550 CPW, but in fact the Paramount Building from Times Square (borrowed from the game assets for the Times Square/Stay Puft level).
By mrmichaelt
Kingpin wrote:While I can't say the building in question wasn't intended to stand in for Dana's apartment building, it isn't 55/550 CPW, but in fact the Paramount Building from Times Square (borrowed from the game assets for the Times Square/Stay Puft level).
Yes, that bothered me!

We were never able to get any confirmation from the staff, but Devilmanozzy suspects the section of Central Park where the final level takes place was the Summit Rock area which is Central Park West and I guessed in the cinematic they drove through West 66th Street and as you play the level, the guys make their way up to around West 81st to Summit.
By Alex Newborn
This is neither here nor there, but in 2014, I trekked all over NYC looking for Ghostbusters filming locations from both movies. My companion for this journey was a friend whose Brooklyn apartment I was crashing at, but who was not necessarily familiar with the movies.

Because I was visiting these locations according to their proximities to one another rather than the chronological order of the films, we wound up seeing the exterior of Dana's GB2 apartment hours before we got to Central Park West and saw her GB1 apt.

Adam asked of CPW, "What's this one?" and I said it was Sigourney Weaver's apartment building. He said "I thought we already saw that?" I clarified: "That was her apartment in the second film. This is the one from the first movie."

To which he hilariously wondered, "B**ch can't keep a lease???"

Alex
Seth Rex wrote:You know...another thing that kinda hit me as I'm reading the noveliztion for Ghostbusters II...and as a add-on, the comic. Just how does Louis know where the Ghostbusters are at the time?
mrmichaelt wrote:I think either a cop sympathetic to the GB tipped him off or his cousin Sherman, from a deleted scene, who work at Parkview.
Another possibility off the top of my head...

Dana comes in and mentions Venkman was arrested.
:eyeroll:--Typical
(Which my brother Ogre once joked was Janine's only line in GB2 where she actually sounded like Janine)

Louis is the GB lawyer, right? He makes some calls "I demand to know where my clients are " etc etc and, in due course, finds out.

Boring, but very plausible.
Sav C, JurorNo.2 liked this
By Seth Rex
I suppose that does make sense. It's always been weird how in the movie the mayor says 'And get me the Ghostbusters' after Hardemeyer admits having them committed...then it cuts to them and Louis is there, no doubt part of the deleted scene's outcome. A part of me always assumes it's the mayor having gotten the Ghostbusters out of Park View....but if that was the case, why is Louis even there? Would have made a lot more sense if they kept the Louis/Sherm scene in.
By Fritz
I thought it was pretty clear in the final version that Lenny was responsible for their release--he angrily fires Hardemeyer, the Ghostbusters are sprung.

Eugene Levy is awesome, but leaving out the scene streamlined things. A character dropping out of nowhere to serve as a comedic deus ex machina versus the Mayor doing a non-dickish thing that serves as a hint that wait, he did remember what happened five years ago? I think Reitman and company made the right call there.
By Winston1986
mrmichaelt wrote:In the PC/PS3/XBox versions of Ghostbusters: The Video Game, in the cinematic before you start the last level - the apartment is in the background all fixed up. It's in 1991 so 7 years later. The renovated version basically appears how it looks in real life.

In terms of trivia, in the Ghostbusters II August 5, 1988 draft, Ray alluded to the building on page 5 at the birthday party and on page 20 at Ray's Occult. But he's just referencing their battle with Gozer, climbing the stairs, meeting the Terror Dogs, blowing up the roof etc. And it's also shown up in the IDW comics and recently was used in Crytpzoic's first board game.
I never knew it was a real building. The way Winston refers to the events after the first film in Ghostbusters 2, I think the Ghostbusters had to pay for the damages of the building.
By mrmichaelt
Winston1986 wrote:The way Winston refers to the events after the first film in Ghostbusters 2, I think the Ghostbusters had to pay for the damages of the building.
Yeah, I like to think that all the money they made before fighting Gozer ended up being used to pay for damages, legal fees, etc.
By Skyknight
And on top of it, the city never paid them for getting rid of Gozer. We know that because Venkman confronts Hardemeyer about the open invoice at the beginning of GBII!
Sav C liked this
By One time
mrmichaelt wrote: February 15th, 2017, 5:20 pm
Kingpin wrote:While I can't say the building in question wasn't intended to stand in for Dana's apartment building, it isn't 55/550 CPW, but in fact the Paramount Building from Times Square (borrowed from the game assets for the Times Square/Stay Puft level).
Yes, that bothered me!

We were never able to get any confirmation from the staff, but Devilmanozzy suspects the section of Central Park where the final level takes place was the Summit Rock area which is Central Park West and I guessed in the cinematic they drove through West 66th Street and as you play the level, the guys make their way up to around West 81st to Summit.

Sorry to dredge this up, but what made you reach that conclusion?
By mrmichaelt
Essentially the map that Egon and Ray have marked off in the cutscene before Return to the Sedgewick. It was concluded the middle black marking in Central Park was the Cult Cemetery. It's on the map at West 82nd Street and Central Park West... which is near the Summit Rock. The black marking is likely Shandor's mausoleum. If you play the game, you know they don't drive right to the mausoleum and the Ghostbusters have to walk their way to it from some southern point in Central Park which could likely be the West 66th entrance by Sheep Meadow or maybe even as south as Columbus Circle. At the start of the Central Park Cemetery cutscene, if that is Paramount Building to Ecto-1b's back -- so they should be in Central Park South somewhere (in theory, you can see Paramount from Central Park South?).
By Kingpin
mrmichaelt wrote: November 11th, 2018, 10:07 pmso they should be in Central Park South somewhere (in theory, you can see Paramount from Central Park South?).
I don't believe that's likely. While you can just about see some bits of Times Square from Central Park if you stare down 7th or 8th Avenues, it isn't anywhere near close enough to appear within the skyline surrounding Central Park when you're stood at ground level inside the park (Even monuments like Rockefeller Centre and the Empire State Building aren't visible). Given that the Paramount Building isn't the tallest structure in Times Square, I feel confident in saying you can't see it from Central Park.

The likely reason it appears in the cutscene is because they reused the asset to save time in having to create any new buildings... Much like how the building at the north end of Times Square in the Stay Puft level looks nothing like it's real-world counterpart, but does look a lot like the Flatiron Building.
mrmichaelt liked this
By mrmichaelt
Kingpin wrote: November 12th, 2018, 5:04 am I don't believe that's likely. While you can just about see some bits of Times Square from Central Park if you stare down 7th or 8th Avenues, it isn't anywhere near close enough to appear within the skyline surrounding Central Park when you're stood at ground level inside the park (Even monuments like Rockefeller Centre and the Empire State Building aren't visible). Given that the Paramount Building isn't the tallest structure in Times Square, I feel confident in saying you can't see it from Central Park.

The likely reason it appears in the cutscene is because they reused the asset to save time in having to create any new buildings... Much like how the building at the north end of Times Square in the Stay Puft level looks nothing like it's real-world counterpart, but does look a lot like the Flatiron Building.
Thanks, Kingpin. Luckily, that was just secondary evidence. I suspect then the gate they enter at the end of that cut scene isn't based on any of Central Park's real life gates. Still, the map was the key to the Summit Rock location.
By mrmichaelt
Whoever made that map pins the cult cemetery further south at The Mall section of Central Park. Interesting. As long as it's where the four Mandala nodes intersect, it's a legitimate candidate for the cemetery's location, imo.

The point of disagreement is the location of the Sedgewick Hotel. They have it south of Central Park in the Garment District. (I think they got that from Mueller's Supernatural Spectacular novelization of GB1) While an exact location or address was never stated in main continuity, we had it east of Central Park North near Park Avenue (more or less the black dot on the map you posted near Mt. Sinai Hospital in the upper right) which is why I was saying Summit Rock. (notably Erik Burnham pinned the Sedgewick at Park Avenue in his Tobin's Spirit Guide book from Insight Editions).
By Winston1986
One time wrote: November 12th, 2018, 9:09 pm Does this map give more information on the location?

I don't live in NY so I can't tell.

I'm sorry. But I don't think that the river of slime ran for that many miles or that it flowed into the Hudson River.
By Kingpin
Winston1986 wrote: November 29th, 2018, 8:44 pmI'm sorry. But I don't think that the river of slime ran for that many miles or that it flowed into the Hudson River.
Well... It's attributed as running far enough to influence supernatural occurrences at pier 54 on the Hudson River, Washington Square Park, Times Square, Central Park South & Fifth Avenue, 77th Street. The February 27th 1989 version of the shooting script also mentioned slime pouring into the Hudson:

Ghostbusters II
By mrmichaelt
And in the realistic versions of Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Winston theorized the Cult of Gozer was pumping the Psychomagnotheric Slime from Shandor Island into the city sewer system.
By Winston1986
Kingpin wrote: November 30th, 2018, 8:12 am
Winston1986 wrote: November 29th, 2018, 8:44 pmI'm sorry. But I don't think that the river of slime ran for that many miles or that it flowed into the Hudson River.
Well... It's attributed as running far enough to influence supernatural occurrences at pier 54 on the Hudson River, Washington Square Park, Times Square, Central Park South & Fifth Avenue, 77th Street. The February 27th 1989 version of the shooting script also mentioned slime pouring into the Hudson:

Ghostbusters II

I had actually thought the Titanic was more Vigo's doing than the Slime's. Like he said, "What was will be. What is will be no more." Although the sewers definitely did have it since we see it coming out of the sewers. Also I assumed the Titanic came from the actual ocean and not the river.
By Kingpin
The Titanic is a trickier one to explain. The Hindenburg would've been easier as it actually reached its destination at Lakehurst, New Jersey. But the ocean liner provided a more New York-centric (and easier to execute on a number of levels) visual.

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]