Admittedly, no I don't. It's super easy to put together, and honestly I wasn't super happy with the print quality on the one that I got so I may have another printed and start over... But we will see
thebigone2087 wrote:Admittedly, no I don't. It's super easy to put together, and honestly I wasn't super happy with the print quality on the one that I got so I may have another printed and start over... But we will see
Ok no worries! The simplicity of construction by going the 3D route is an attractive idea, but I would like to incorporate a fully removable trap cartridge as well, and from what I understand, this is not yet possible with 3D printed kits?
Some more parts arrived this weekend, the trap greeblies are nearly complete (I think):

Hammond Project Box 1591L
D-Sub Connector Hood
26-Pin Trap Pedal Grey Header
26-Pin Ribbon Cable Connnector
26-Pin Grey Ribbon Cable (spare, just in case)
Foster Male Coupler - 22-2B (x2)
Legris Banjo Fitting (GBFans replica)
Aluminium Pedal Vector Plate
Aluminium Trap Side Vector Plate
Aluminium Pedal Base

All the above items have come from the GBFans shop, and are fantastic :cool:

The aluminium pedal base is SOLID!! I honestly did not expect it to be so thick...and heavy lol! [emoji50]

I also ordered an 11-Pin Octal Relay & Socket from GBFans, before I sourced an actual ITT Relay, so these are now spare. Anyone in the UK who may be interested in them, PM me!

Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
barison82 wrote:
thebigone2087 wrote:Admittedly, no I don't. It's super easy to put together, and honestly I wasn't super happy with the print quality on the one that I got so I may have another printed and start over... But we will see
Ok no worries! The simplicity of construction by going the 3D route is an attractive idea, but I would like to incorporate a fully removable trap cartridge as well, and from what I understand, this is not yet possible with 3D printed kits?
The way the kit was designed, it does not have a removable cartridge, that would have taken up a considerable around of room which is needed for the full electronics that countspatula designed with the smoke system and arduino. One of the guys here is making a brilliant trap out of Nick-a-Trons kit with removable cartridge.
thebigone2087 wrote:The way the kit was designed, it does not have a removable cartridge, that would have taken up a considerable around of room which is needed for the full electronics that countspatula designed with the smoke system and arduino. One of the guys here is making a brilliant trap out of Nick-a-Trons kit with removable cartridge.
I see...yeah I think I'm following that same build thread and because of seeing that, I am thinking of going in that direction, with a Nick-a-Tron resin kit build. I would like to do all the electronics as well, (although I haven't done anything like that before lol) plus Nick is based in the UK like myself, so makes it a whole lot easier when it comes to postage etc.
barison82 wrote:
thebigone2087 wrote:The way the kit was designed, it does not have a removable cartridge, that would have taken up a considerable around of room which is needed for the full electronics that countspatula designed with the smoke system and arduino. One of the guys here is making a brilliant trap out of Nick-a-Trons kit with removable cartridge.
I see...yeah I think I'm following that same build thread and because of seeing that, I am thinking of going in that direction, with a Nick-a-Tron resin kit build. I would like to do all the electronics as well, (although I haven't done anything like that before lol) plus Nick is based in the UK like myself, so makes it a whole lot easier when it comes to postage etc.
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to fit smoke and full electronics in Nicks kit. My home built smoke setup is still a work in progress but there should be sufficient space for it inside the cartridge, even with the hyperdyne servo and light boards I'm fitting.
damster117 wrote:I'm pretty sure you'll be able to fit smoke and full electronics in Nicks kit. My home built smoke setup is still a work in progress but there should be sufficient space for it inside the cartridge, even with the hyperdyne servo and light boards I'm fitting.
Awesome! The smoke effects would be epic :cool: This is really good to know actually, thanks for the heads up!
Another small part - one that I'd overlooked - the D-Sub Connector for the trap cartridge, kindly donated by damster117 - thanks again for your help! [emoji4][emoji106]

Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
damster117 liked this
Some more little parts...black D-Sub Hoods, apparently correct for a GB1 Trap Pedal

Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Very handy that these were available in abundance and from within the UK for once!
Last edited by barison82 on June 29th, 2017, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks - you can find them at RS Components, on the UK site...interesting...I see what you mean. That black bit on the top of it looks odd, typical - it always has to be difficult lol! I can live with the ones I have for the moment though [emoji6] But would be very interesting to see what you come up with of course!
So question... in regards to the heath kit knob... do you think you will paint it black? When I received mine its kind of an off green color. I always thought they were black. Did your come with a skirt, and if it did, how did you remove it?
Mine is an off green colour too, but I'm not too bothered by it, although respraying it black should be fairly straightforward. Yes mine came with the aluminium skirt, I used a pair of pliers to rip most of it from the base and then carefully yanked the rest of it off - it wasn't too hard to remove actually. Hope this helps!
thebigone2087 liked this
Just a minor update, I'm waiting to hear back from CPU64 about cutting up some aluminium panels for the trap, Nick-A-Tron very kindly supplied me with exact measurements which will allow these plates to fit his resin kit, which I will be buying in due course. I also have a dremel toolkit and drill press/vice etc on the shopping list as well, but just need to wait a bit and save up - and recover from the investment I put into the pack build, and the amount I spent on all the parts I've gathered for this Trap project!

I also got hold of some yellow Scotch Insulation tape, I'll be using this for the trap doors. Oddly this particular tape is not easily available in the UK and I had to order it from the USA; goodness knows why!

So the next step for me really is to get all the tools I need for the job, and start practising with drilling holes etc. I have looked on the modelfixings site for the correct taps and drill bits for UNC threads, I'll have to do a bit of reading on this and ask quite a few questions no doubt, in order to buy the right bits!

More to follow [emoji4]

Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
I also got hold of some yellow Scotch Insulation tape, I'll be using this for the trap doors. Oddly this particular tape is not easily available in the UK and I had to order it from the USA; goodness knows why!
I managed to find some in the UK on Amazon. It's one of the first things I bought for my build though so may not be on there now. I bought two rolls as I couldn't find it in the shops!
damster117 wrote:I managed to find some in the UK on Amazon. It's one of the first things I bought for my build though so may not be on there now. I bought two rolls as I couldn't find it in the shops!
Yeah I think it's gone, wouldn't ship to UK and I don't know why...Funny this is one of the things I left till last as I thought it would be so easy to get!
Nice parts Alex B!! I'm just starting some prelim work on my own trap, (aluminium chassis of course ;D) and I will be keeping an eye on this one, and the trap forum as a whole. Your pics are excellent and let me see what I need, soooo perhaps I will just get some resin copies haha lol ;)
OCP_Model-001 wrote:Nice parts Alex B!! I'm just starting some prelim work on my own trap, (aluminium chassis of course ;D) and I will be keeping an eye on this one, and the trap forum as a whole. Your pics are excellent and let me see what I need, soooo perhaps I will just get some resin copies haha lol ;)
Hi!! Awesome. Thanks a lot - glad the pics have helped you with getting your project together [emoji4][emoji106] Some bits are hard to find but I do recommend checking out 'Charlesworth Dynamics' on etsy, I got hold of some difficult components from this guy, who was extremely helpful.

I'm waiting on some external aluminium panels, and I still need to order the light and trap motor kit; then commit to Nick-A-Tron's resin trap body kit. Just saving up at the moment, as I have a pack build going on as well!

I also need to practice my drilling/tapping skills with some rough blocks of aluminium, I'm not experienced in this area yet!!

Good luck with your build, I'll have to keep an eye on your progress too [emoji6][emoji106]
An update...and it's been a long time coming! I have finally made an investment in getting all the tools I need for this project - a Dremel 4000 with a Drill Press, Multi-Vice and other useful accessories that came in a neat metal toolbox:

The 4000 is very useful because the variable RPM is between 5,000 to 35,000. Aluminium drilling & tapping wants a very low RPM and lots of torque from what I've understood. However the deepest holes will be no more than an inch deep (in the sides of the pedal base to mount the Hammond Project boxes) with the largest diameter being 10-32 (for a UNF thread grub screw to mount the acorn nut at the foot of the pedal base) so I'm hoping the lowest RPM at 5,000 will be ok for this work. However the metal Project Box wants a 1/8 NPT thread drilled and tapped at either end but this is composed of die cast metal; hopefully I can use the Dremel successfully here also. I have just about managed to fit all these tools in the cupboard, out of the way of the missus when not in use lol. So anything larger is out of the question [emoji51]What I do still need to sort out is a mounting block for the Drill Press, some dust sheets and some metalworkers dye (Marking Blue, Layout Stain or Prussian Blue), to help with marking out the dimensions for drilling & tapping with a scriber.

I have been doing quite a bit of research (still ongoing) into the correct processes that are involved for drilling and tapping aluminium, and I will be getting some scrap pieces in order to practice on first. I am using a very handy engineering pocket book that I've had for many years (from College days), an Osborn Cutting Tool Guide, which has a wealth of relevant information regarding metalwork, with drill speeds, drilling methods, tapping and thread sizes:

[imghttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/SZ2RE6cuz7Hpe0HyKz7iiLu7SpZYttQdnkyAhtsg4CZKB8LEqQ4tgtaKQF2SlcQms6MZGBZTzJBr1-fh1TqSrw=w2880-h1570img]

I've never used this book and now it couldn't be more useful!

Other items I've bought are:

-Metal Rule
-Carbide Tip Pocket Scriber (for marking the initial points on the metal for the hole positions)
-Centre Punch (for impressing the hole positions into the surface of the metal for accurate drilling)
-Modelling Knife
-Safety Goggles
-Cutting Mats (A3 & A4)
-Industrial/Professional grade metal cutting fluid (non-soluble for aluminium)
-Tap Wrench
-Set of taps for 4-40 UNC threads with drill bit, made from HSS (High Speed Steel). These are very expensive but are again professional grade and they will give many years of service if used correctly. I need to obtain quite a few sets, not just other UNC sizes but also UNF (10-32), NPT (1/8) and for countersunk machine screws (I think), used for mounting the pedal vector plate to the hinge and base. So I will have to add these slowly to the inventory, given the cost involved!

I've included all this detail for the benefit of anyone else who may be starting out for the first time, and would find this info helpful [emoji4][emoji106]

Regarding Trap parts, I have also obtained:

-Tower Pro MG90S Micro Servo motors for the door mechanism (x2)
-G-Force GF-2120-003 Small Control Horns (x2)

I still need to order the Hyperdyne Labs light & trap door electronics kit (maybe next month)

I was looking at nosllitt's epic aluminium trap build thread quite a lot and decided that I really liked his method of mounting the hyperdyne bargraph lights with the use of a VCC Panel Indicator Mount, obtained from Allied Electronics. The indicator was stripped for the clear plastic panel which is a perfect fit for the bargraph lights:

I fully appreciate that the discovery was made afterwards revealing the actual bargraph used for these original props, and I assume that nosllitt may have retrofitted his trap with the very expensive, accurate part, which incorporates a black bezel surround - accurately represented in Spongeface's bezel kit, but I just really like the look of this setup, which is quite simple too!

Finally, I have been working with Chris (CPU64) for the last 3 months or so in obtaining some aluminium side plates and doors. The plates have been cut and the doors are being done at the moment. CPU has gone to an extraordinary amount of effort in creating some highly accurate doors which closely match those that are seen on the Propbay Hero GB1 Trap. When these arrive, I'll document everything that went into getting these made in full detail, together with all the measurements that were used so that they are compatible with Nick's resin kit, but needless to say, they are stunning! [emoji4][emoji122]

A set is also being made for a fellow Ghosthead, damster117, who is also building a GB1 trap based on Nick-A-Tron's resin kit (and is miles ahead of me lol), he has been immensely helpful with everything so far and has supplied so much info for this build project...

Phew! That's it I think, for the moment. Oh yeah - I still need to obtain Nick's resin trap kit lol. I've put this last because I've been attempting to nail all the tricky greeblies first. I do have all the parts needed to start the pedal though, so I will get the tools set up and start practising my drilling techniques [emoji12] I really don't want to screw up any of those precious parts, so bear with me.

More soon! [emoji4][emoji106]
Last edited by barison82 on June 29th, 2017, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IDDQD wrote:Inspiring build thread mate! I've enjoyed following your Pack, and now Trap journeys, it's good to know that there are equally accuracy-obsessive members "new-ish" to this hobby of ours. I look forward to your progress!
Hi IDDQD, thanks very much for your feedback, great to hear that you're inspired [emoji4][emoji106] You are definitely not the only one who is obsessed with detail and accuracy as a 'newbie' - with this hobby, it's all-in when you decide that you want to get things right! I look forward to updating progress soon with some actual practical work for the first time [emoji6][emoji106]
barison82 wrote:
IDDQD wrote:Inspiring build thread mate! I've enjoyed following your Pack, and now Trap journeys, it's good to know that there are equally accuracy-obsessive members "new-ish" to this hobby of ours. I look forward to your progress!
Hi IDDQD, thanks very much for your feedback, great to hear that you're inspired [emoji4][emoji106] You are definitely not the only one who is obsessed with detail and accuracy as a 'newbie' - with this hobby, it's all-in when you decide that you want to get things right! I look forward to updating progress soon with some actual practical work for the first time [emoji6][emoji106]
Anytime buddy! In the event that you are looking for Vintage Nycoil 4mm tubing, check ebay right now (PM me for link, as I want to keep to forum rules - and yes, I'm aware of this seller's history). I feel like I'll be on the "forever hunt" for an original ms91528-3s2g (grey raytheon).. Welp, once you're in, you're in right?!?

Looking forward to your journal!
Thank you. Funny that you should mention 4mm tubing. I just bought a whole reel of genuine Legris 4mm red tubing last week, just because it was there. That's how bad it's got lol [emoji6]

I'll send you a PM!

I know exactly what you mean about the grey Raytheon. They have become near impossible to find since 2015, as stocks on GBFans have expired and suppliers have cottoned on to their value to Ghostbusters Prop Fans. Even the black ones are now difficult.

Once you're in, you're in ALL the way. Be thankful we're not Poker players...

Cheers [emoji4][emoji106]
You tool kit is coming along nicely Alex :) the dremel set looks smart and seems to have all the essentials!

One word of warning about the dremel drill press though, I tried to use one of those first and I had to return it as it was out of true and was too flexible to drill accurately in metal. Yours may be ok but It's worth taking it out of the box and giving it a test in case you need to send it back. Just thought I'd give you a heads up!

I'm looking forward to seeing our finished doors- it took a lot of deliberation to get the design nailed down didn't it but we got there in the end! :) I'll get back to my own trap build shortly, it's all the fun stuff coming up now!

It'll be great to see you start yours too; I've got a few bits to sort out for you for when you start building- I haven't forgotten don't worry! :)
damster117 wrote:You tool kit is coming along nicely Alex :) the dremel set looks smart and seems to have all the essentials!

One word of warning about the dremel drill press though, I tried to use one of those first and I had to return it as it was out of true and was too flexible to drill accurately in metal. Yours may be ok but It's worth taking it out of the box and giving it a test in case you need to send it back. Just thought I'd give you a heads up!

I'm looking forward to seeing our finished doors- it took a lot of deliberation to get the design nailed down didn't it but we got there in the end! :) I'll get back to my own trap build shortly, it's all the fun stuff coming up now!

It'll be great to see you start yours too; I've got a few bits to sort out for you for when you start building- I haven't forgotten don't worry! :)
Hi Damien

Thanks a lot mate. The heads up about the drill press is concerning; I have examined it and I have noted that the press itself needs very careful attention as to the way it is clamped into position; there is some give between that and the guiding pole however after clamping securely and checking the true by use of a spirit level, it does appear consistent. Problem is, if this doesn't work out, I don't know what else I could use in my circumstances. I don't have a man shed or the room for larger, heavier equipment! [emoji50]

I'm mega excited about our doors and can't wait to start working with those. It took a hell of a lot of work getting there! Looking forward very much to updates in your build thread and seeing all that fun stuff begin! [emoji106][emoji106]

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your time and encouragement, and helping me with those bits - that's awesome, and no worries at all [emoji4][emoji106]
I hate to be negative about stuff but forewarned is forearmed as they say. They may have improved the build quality by now but the one I received was incapable of drilling accurately due to flex and lopsided vertical alignment of the cradle part! I'd give it a go on some scrap material before you use it on the trap parts. There is a sturdier version of the dremel drill press made by proxxon, which I considered before I got my mid size pillar drill. I 'm not sure if it works with Dremel tools though or only proxxon models.

Dremel 220-01 vs. Proxxon Micromot MB 140/S- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JyTf1tJXXo

Once I have the doors in hand I can get going on the servo installation and wiring so pretty excited about that!

It's not a problem it's nice to collaborate with someone else doing the same build :)

barison82 wrote: Hi Damien

Thanks a lot mate. The heads up about the drill press is concerning; I have examined it and I have noted that the press itself needs very careful attention as to the way it is clamped into position; there is some give between that and the guiding pole however after clamping securely and checking the true by use of a spirit level, it does appear consistent. Problem is, if this doesn't work out, I don't know what else I could use in my circumstances. I don't have a man shed or the room for larger, heavier equipment! [emoji50]

I'm mega excited about our doors and can't wait to start working with those. It took a hell of a lot of work getting there! Looking forward very much to updates in your build thread and seeing all that fun stuff begin! [emoji106][emoji106]

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your time and encouragement, and helping me with those bits - that's awesome, and no worries at all [emoji4][emoji106]
Hi damster, no worries and thanks for the extra info/heads-up. I'm going to have to check this out. I will definitely be doing some practice on scrap metal anyway because I'm a complete novice and have no metalwork experience whatsover. Although I'm very interested in it and might even do a course!

So stupid how the Dremel press has (or had) that issue. Defeats the whole point of that equipment. How big is your mid-size pillar drill?

Looking forward to seeing your work on the door installation! Most likely will be a guiding light for me when I get there lol [emoji4][emoji106]

Likewise, it makes a massive difference having someone else involved with the same thing [emoji106]
Damn...There's many negatives for the Dremel press in that review - but I've also read just as many negative reviews for the Proxxon as well...Just found some bench drill presses, there's one by a make called KOBE, for just under £200, which is 500W and has 16mm drill capacity, with 425 - 2545 rpm. Looks very good, might think about getting this but don't know if I can get away with it space-wise...

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]