For users in: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, & West Virginia.
By goldenhawk
http://airandspace.si.edu/events/air-and-scare/

It's already Summer 2014. And I guess it's time to get ready for Air and Scare 2014. It will be at the Air and Space Museum in Chantilly, VA on Saturday, October 25. I need to find out who's going and what we all want to do for displays and props.

Thanks.
By goldenhawk
Hijacker wrote:Mark me down as going. Will probably bring the childrens as well.
When the time gets closer, I will send out PMs to those that are going to get emails and the names. This will allow you and your family to get into the event for free and not deal with the traffic at the main entrance.
By exo95er
Hey guys, I'm back!!!! Marine Corps Marathon is that weekend, so I can be there first thing Saturday when the museum opens but will need to bail sometime in the afternoon.
By Alex41
I can make it that weekend but my wife will be out of town. My son can come and wear her pack if that's ok with you guys. He'll be 10 by then and has his own black flight suit.

As far as props go, I have 2 GB1 packs, a Matty PKE, some home made goggles, and a trap, not to mention full uniform and belt set up. What kind of display are they looking for us to bring?
By goldenhawk
Alex41 wrote:I can make it that weekend but my wife will be out of town. My son can come and wear her pack if that's ok with you guys. He'll be 10 by then and has his own black flight suit.

As far as props go, I have 2 GB1 packs, a Matty PKE, some home made goggles, and a trap, not to mention full uniform and belt set up. What kind of display are they looking for us to bring?
Glad to have you coming. You will be surprised just how popular the Ghostbusters can be at Halloween.

Kids are most welcome at the event. My kids have been volunteers at this event since we began five years ago. When I send out the PM requesting names, just let me know his name and he's in the list.

As for props, the 21 foot tall Stay Puft is coming back to rule the house/museum. We have the dancing toaster that seems to be a big curiosity item. Hoping that the Slime Blower will be finished by then.
By goldenhawk
exo95er wrote:Hey guys, I'm back!!!! Marine Corps Marathon is that weekend, so I can be there first thing Saturday when the museum opens but will need to bail sometime in the afternoon.
Exo!!! Glad to have you back in town.

I know you have to leave early, but I must ask. Will Vigo be attending?
By exo95er
goldenhawk wrote:I know you have to leave early, but I must ask. Will Vigo be attending?
Vigo will be there, if there's room for him!
By goldenhawk
exo95er wrote:
goldenhawk wrote:I know you have to leave early, but I must ask. Will Vigo be attending?
Vigo will be there, if there's room for him!
We will have room for Vigo.
By goldenhawk
Air and Scare has been confirmed by Smithsonian. I got the official email from Phyllis this morning. Saturday, October 25, 2014. The event is officially open to the public from 2 pm to 7 pm. Last year over 36,000 people showed up at the event, and that was with the government shutdown being lifted only a couple of weeks before the event and no advertising. This year there is no government shutdown, Smithsonian will get to advertise the event, and M&M Mars is sponsoring the event with all those candies.

We have set up from 12:00 noon until 2:00 pm. Breakdown and official photos by Smithsonian will be in front of the Space Shuttle Discovery after the event closes to the public. Lunch and breaks for all GB volunteers will be provided.

If you are interested in coming, please PM my your email address and I will get you on the list of volunteers. This will allow you to get into the event for free through the security gate off Route 50, and avoid the long lines of cars through the main gate off Route 28.
By pyhasanon
I should be available to help out, so sign me and my wife up! I'll let you know ahead of time if something comes up that causes me to not be available, but from what it looks like at this very moment, I should be good to go! I will check with the rest of the District 757 guys if they're available as well...
By goldenhawk
pyhasanon wrote:I should be available to help out, so sign me and my wife up! I'll let you know ahead of time if something comes up that causes me to not be available, but from what it looks like at this very moment, I should be good to go! I will check with the rest of the District 757 guys if they're available as well...
That's great. I look forward to having you and your wife at the event.

Invite as many guys from the 757 GB Franchise. The more, the better. Air and Scare is such a large event. And the Ghostbusters are so popular.
By goldenhawk
From the meeting with Smithsonian, we will have two tables set up at the north end of the main hangar, right by the F-14d Tomcat. Stay Puft will be set up indoors next to our tables. We will also be a candy station for the trick or treaters. We have a changing room on the upper floor, and lunch and snacks will be provided.
By Alex41
Great news. When does this event start? My son has a soccer game around 10 that morning. We can miss it if needs be though.
By goldenhawk
Alex41 wrote:Great news. When does this event start? My son has a soccer game around 10 that morning. We can miss it if needs be though.
The actual event is from 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm. Set up begins at 12:00 noon. We will have the wristbands for the GBs at our table ready for when you all arrive.
By pyhasanon
goldenhawk wrote:We have a changing room on the upper floor.
Changing room? What kind of "room" is this exactly... will it have like hotel facilities (bed, bath, shower)? Or is it just an empty staging room... and is it just for the GB volunteers?

Thanks!
By goldenhawk
pyhasanon wrote:
goldenhawk wrote:We have a changing room on the upper floor.
Changing room? What kind of "room" is this exactly... will it have like hotel facilities (bed, bath, shower)? Or is it just an empty staging room... and is it just for the GB volunteers?

Thanks!
It is an extra empty room located on the upper level for our use only. Lunches will be served in the break room for volunteers located in the observation tower
By pyhasanon
How about parking? I saw a $15 parking until 6pm on their flyer, but the event is over at 7pm, and we will still have breakdown after that... does that mean parking is free after 6pm? Will we have exhibitor/volunteer parking privileges?
By goldenhawk
pyhasanon wrote:How about parking? I saw a $15 parking until 6pm on their flyer, but the event is over at 7pm, and we will still have breakdown after that... does that mean parking is free after 6pm? Will we have exhibitor/volunteer parking privileges?
As a volunteer, I have placed your names on a parking list that allows you to enter through the security gate off Route 50, across from Red Robin. This allows you to get into the event for free and also avoid the long lines of cars at the main gate off Route 50. Once you get through the security gate, the guards will direct you to drive along the back of the museum to the north end parking lot where all the volunteers park. The volunteers enter through the north gate, not through the main entrance. I will forward the volunteer instructions from Smithsonian once I receive them, probably later today.
By goldenhawk
pyhasanon wrote:Cool, thanks! Excited for Saturday, this will be a lot of fun!
I do believe that Air and Scare is the largest Halloween event in the DC Metro Area. Expect a lot of fans looking to get pictures and a lot of questions regarding the props and uniforms.

I just sent out the volunteer maps via emails this afternoon. If anyone else wants to join us, please send me a PM. For a change, I have until Friday morning to add people to our list of volunteers.
By goldenhawk
pyhasanon wrote:Awesome! Can you tell us what our numbers look like for GBs?
Between those in costumes and those that are not but assisting, I have twenty confirmed on the list.
By goldenhawk
Well, eight months later.....and Smithsonian finally sent the photos of the GBs that went to Air and Scare.

By pyhasanon
robandliv wrote:Great group shot. I have been looking for one of those stay puft in the background anyone have an idea of where I could find one?
That one is one of a kind... You need to find a company overseas and make a special order... It's also very expensive...
By goldenhawk
pyhasanon wrote:Wonderful! But... why does it take so long to get the photos back...?

Also, plans for this year, Neil?
The photographer is Dane Penland. I suspect that he is a freelance photographer for Smithsonian. It took 6 months to get the photos from Air and Scare 2012 and 2013. So I expected no difference in the lag in time to get the photos for 2014. But I will say that Dane's photo quality is really good.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]