For users in: Delaware, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, & Washington DC.
By goldenhawk
Well, my son and I were going to go on Saturday, April 20. But thanks to the Boston bombing, no weapons, large props, etc. are allowed. I called the organizers for this event and they totally taught that having GBs in full hear at the con would be awesome. But they also said that the Proton Packs, Slime Blowers and Ghost Traps are prohibited. This totally sucks. I have no choice but to skip the event.
By BlkMesaHero
Yep skipping it too. I'd only want to go to get my pack signed.
By goldenhawk
The problem is that they will not allow props with metal components. So my hero pack is a no go. The proon pack I made out of wood is also not allowed. Also I would have to put a bright orange or red tip on the proton thrower. Not exactly movie accurate.

So does this mean I would need to make a cardboard Proton Pack? Maybe a rubber stunt pack, like the one made by nickatron?
By The_Dude_Abides
The information they gave me about this weekend was we would have to take our gear to a weapons checker. They did not outright say no proton packs...

David Shiffler I would like to ask specifically about Ghostbusters props. I was planning on wearing my proton pack, ghost trap, pke meter, etc. while in full Ghostbuster gear. Since it is not a weapon, mock or otherwise is this ok to wear?
Like · Wednesday at 2:20pm..

Awesome Con DC Should be fine, but you might want to run it past the weapons checker just to be safe. They'll give you a wristband to put on your gear so that the security people know it's been checked out.
Like · Wednesday at 2:21pm..

David Shiffler Sounds good, thank you for the reply. Is this located at the front doors? Where will I have to go to let them check it out and should I bring tools to open up the shell so they can see inside?
Like · 1 · Wednesday at 2:24pm..

Awesome Con DC The weapons checker will be in the same room where they are selling tickets.
Like · 1 · Wednesday at 2:40pm..

Enrique Fernández Roberts I'll be one of the weapons checkers on Saturday AM barring any major changes.
BlkMesaHero liked this
By goldenhawk
That's not fair. I called their number and discussed the GBs and the props. I was told flat out "Not allowed." And I am sure as hell not going to let a "weapons checker" handle my Proton Pack. I could see it now. This checker saying "This is so cool. Can I try it on and get pics." Them if I tell him no, he'd be a dick about it and kick me out.
By BlkMesaHero
If this is the case then I will go to the Con. I'l just get the weapon checker to look over my pack first before I get a ticket. That way if I am told that I can't have it there then I will just go home. It's that simple.
By goldenhawk
OK, I just called them again to verify. I described the Hero Proton Pack to one of the event organizers, Ben Penrod. He said that everyone that attends the con will know what a GB is and that the attendees would lover to see us. But, he cannot guarantee that a proton pack containing metal components will be allowed in. He mentioned that the security subcontractors can get overzealous and stop us from going in. I think I made a mistake of mentioning the metal thrower because Ben said that t would be considered a weapon by security.

Ben said that if it wasn't for the Boston bombings, there would be no issues with the proton packs at the con. So, I'm thinking next year.
It's usually the rent-a-cops that will give you a hard time. If one of them bitches, find someone actually involved with the con and see what they say.

At Megacon years ago, I had some guy insist that my Warhammer 40k bolter (no trigger to speak of, and it's fiberglass) needed to be peace-bonded. I went to a convention supervisor, and they looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for peace-bonding, complimented the bolter, and sent me on my way.
By The_Dude_Abides
To Tu'Shan's point the security works for the Con, I would hope the Con could override the security's choice to bar it. As of now I am still planning on going with my wife and kid all in costume, but only I will have on a prop pack, my kid will be wearing an inflateable. :walterpeck:
By goldenhawk
The_Dude_Abides wrote:To Tu'Shan's point the security works for the Con, I would hope the Con could override the security's choice to bar it. As of now I am still planning on going with my wife and kid all in costume, but only I will have on a prop pack, my kid will be wearing an inflateable. :walterpeck:
If your pack has a metal thrower, I would think twice.
By goldenhawk
The_Dude_Abides wrote:Mine has a resin thrower, the only metal on it is the end of the ion arm, the ribbon cable clamp, and the clippard fittings etc...
Anything that resembles a gun will need an orange or red cap on the tip. This probably includes the throwers.
By The_Dude_Abides
If that is the case I will bring red or orange electical tape to mark the end of my acrylic tube for the con. I will bring the roll with so if any of you see me and need some I can provide it to you all.
By goldenhawk
The_Dude_Abides wrote:If that is the case I will bring red or orange electical tape to mark the end of my acrylic tube for the con. I will bring the roll with so if any of you see me and need some I can provide it to you all.
So, did you go and were you able to bring a proton pack in the con?
By BlkMesaHero
I saw him there, we were both able to get our packs in. No problems at all.
By goldenhawk
The_Dude_Abides wrote:Yeah. Security and the staff were super excited and very helpful. It was a fantastic trip!
Dave, you need to get a copy of the Sunday Washington Post. You and your family are mentioned in the Awesomecon article on page C12:

"It's a buzzing hive of nerdom," said David Shiffler, 33, of York, Pa. He, his wife and their 9-year old daughter were dressed as Ghostbusters and were stopped every few minutes by passersby who wanted to take their picture.

"You can tell this area has been begging for a pop culture outlet like this, somewhere to let their nerd flags fly," Shiffler said, weaving through a swelling crowd. "Look how many people are here."

Since packs are allowed, my son and I may go later this afternoon.
By goldenhawk
Sunday wasn't too bad. I guess most people came on Saturday. But I still had problems doing and going where I wanted due to people asking to get photos. I got really annoyed at the mother who kept bothering us and called me a stuck-up person for not letting her son wear my son's pack for photos.
By The_Dude_Abides
That is not cool. Everyone was very nice to us and no one asked to use our props or anything. We probably posed for a thousand pictures easy.

I could not locate the paper, the few places around my house that carry it were sold out by the time I got there. lol
By goldenhawk
The_Dude_Abides wrote:That is not cool. Everyone was very nice to us and no one asked to use our props or anything. We probably posed for a thousand pictures easy.

I could not locate the paper, the few places around my house that carry it were sold out by the time I got there. lol
Go to washingtonpost.com and look for the Style section from Sunday. If not, I'll see if the Sunday's paper is still at the house and I'll send it to you.
The_Dude_Abides liked this
By goldenhawk
The_Dude_Abides wrote:I read it online but a clipping would be cool too if you still have it. Let me know, I will hit ya with something for postage.
OK. I got the article clipped from the newspaper before the recycling got to it. PM me you address and I'll put it in the mail.

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker sc[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]