By kurisu7885
I humbly apologize if this is the wrong area to post this.

I'm trying to modify my Spirit Halloween proton pack to get it onto an ALICE frame I bought off of Amazon, I ordered a motherboard off of Ebay and am mostly ready to go but I've hit a roadblock.

I have no earthly idea what the screw sizes are.

I've tried a few around the house and they're too thick and might crack apart the mounting posts, and the ones that were already in the pack are too short to reach the posts through the motherboard, so I need longer screws or some other solution, and I REALLY don't want to resort to zip ties, I hate zip ties.

Anyway, any advice or at least knowing the right screw size and knowing I can get it longer would be appreciated
By JulesHiggs
I actually had this same issue, and I'm so sorry I don't remember what screws I bought... They were TINY though.

Something like... 3/48 or something? I brought a screw to this hardware store that has a bunch of random sizes, found a super tiny nut that screwed on the factory pack screw, and then trail and error found a screw that fit. It was tough.
By tobycj
You're best off mounting brackets to the motherboard and then mounting the ALICE frame to the motherboard,and the pack to the brackets. Using the existing mounting posts will be a pain in the ass in the long run, and I'd be worried whether they'd take the weight with a mobo and ALICE frame.
By B-Rad
tobycj wrote: October 26th, 2018, 4:06 pm You're best off mounting brackets to the motherboard and then mounting the ALICE frame to the motherboard,and the pack to the brackets. Using the existing mounting posts will be a pain in the ass in the long run, and I'd be worried whether they'd take the weight with a mobo and ALICE frame.
I'm actually using the original post and then attached my alice frame to the motherboard. I'm about to go out and work on it in a bit, I will get you the screw sizes that I used.
By kurisu7885
B-Rad wrote: October 28th, 2018, 9:35 am
tobycj wrote: October 26th, 2018, 4:06 pm You're best off mounting brackets to the motherboard and then mounting the ALICE frame to the motherboard,and the pack to the brackets. Using the existing mounting posts will be a pain in the ass in the long run, and I'd be worried whether they'd take the weight with a mobo and ALICE frame.
I'm actually using the original post and then attached my alice frame to the motherboard. I'm about to go out and work on it in a bit, I will get you the screw sizes that I used.
Thank you :D
By kurisu7885
That doesn't make much sense to me as I've seen people mount the pack shell using the posts already there, plus the posts aren't bearing the weight of the motherboard and frame, just the pack itself.
By B-Rad
ok screws I used to mount the pack to the motherboard using the existing posts: #4 3/4 inch in length (in a red plastic bag) along with a #6 washer (orange bag), I couldn't find a #4 washer but these work. I'm also going to replace the screws that hold the 2 halves together with the brackets since the screw head are big enough to my liking and are a pain to unscrew/re-screw. Will be using the same #4 screw but just shorter (not a half inch as I just tried that and was a little to long, go next size down) and use the same #6 washer.
By kurisu7885
B-Rad wrote: October 28th, 2018, 1:18 pm ok screws I used to mount the pack to the motherboard using the existing posts: #4 3/4 inch in length (in a red plastic bag) along with a #6 washer (orange bag), I couldn't find a #4 washer but these work. I'm also going to replace the screws that hold the 2 halves together with the brackets since the screw head are big enough to my liking and are a pain to unscrew/re-screw. Will be using the same #4 screw but just shorter (not a half inch as I just tried that and was a little to long, go next size down) and use the same #6 washer.
And where did you find these at?

And turns out I was looking for machine screws the whole time.
By B-Rad
I got them at home depot

(Left to right) First 2 are what I used as mentioned previously. The last 3 are what I used to attach the alice frame to the motherboard. The 1/4 inch screws for the motherboard you may have to get 2 different lengths depending on your alice frame. I had to for mine.
By kurisu7885
B-Rad wrote: October 28th, 2018, 2:40 pm I got them at home depot

(Left to right) First 2 are what I used as mentioned previously. The last 3 are what I used to attach the alice frame to the motherboard. The 1/4 inch screws for the motherboard you may have to get 2 different lengths depending on your alice frame. I had to for mine.
I ended up by 6s instead of what I actually needed ^^;

All the same thanks a TON for this, I'll head out to Home Depot tomorrow for the parts, now that I can put a good shopping list together.

I won't have ALL the mods I want done in time for Halloween but making the pack more comfortable to wear for long periods is a big priority as the stock straps are murder on the shoulders after a while.
By B-Rad
The other thing to note is with my alice frame the 1/4 inch couple nuts went right through the indentations drilled out for screws or some attachment where the lower back brace is. I'm just using the 1/4 washers on either side of the cut out area to get it to fit. They make a large size coupling nut but nut screws with a phillips head or flat head that I could find. I'm probably over using washers on mine but I'm just being extra careful and just wanted to use what I got. But this may be different for the alice frame you use, just something to be aware of in terms of sizing for that.

Btw I did test out a different size #4 screw for replacing the stock screw and a #4 3/8 inch with a #6 washer works great. So I used that combo to replace the screws holding the 3 brackets holding the shell together and the bellows.
By kurisu7885
B-Rad wrote: October 28th, 2018, 7:48 pm The other thing to note is with my alice frame the 1/4 inch couple nuts went right through the indentations drilled out for screws or some attachment where the lower back brace is. I'm just using the 1/4 washers on either side of the cut out area to get it to fit. They make a large size coupling nut but nut screws with a phillips head or flat head that I could find. I'm probably over using washers on mine but I'm just being extra careful and just wanted to use what I got. But this may be different for the alice frame you use, just something to be aware of in terms of sizing for that.

Btw I did test out a different size #4 screw for replacing the stock screw and a #4 3/8 inch with a #6 washer works great. So I used that combo to replace the screws holding the 3 brackets holding the shell together and the bellows.
Well my method was going to require drilling but I may need to take a better look at my frame.

I was going to drill through the flat cross pieces and put my mounting hardware through there.

I have this week commenced my most ambitious proje[…]

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]

I'm hoping we'll see another set when the next F[…]