By DarlieBrewster
A couple of the proton pack parts I built in 3d that can be printed at 3D hubs. My ring was built for a 1" outer diameter gun tube. Just specify 7/8 to fit the standard tube.
I had used someones 3D legris banjos but I decided in the end to get metal ones from GB fans. The 3Ds were fine, just a hair thicker and I used brush on metal.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1791305
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1789260
Last edited by DarlieBrewster on March 16th, 2018, 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
robandliv, GBDRE760 liked this
By Etigo
Thanks for sharing!!! :-D
DarlieBrewster liked this
By DarlieBrewster
I am having a trigger ring printed right now. I had one done in silver PLA but I am not happy with the material though it looks pretty perfect. . This one is being printed in Color Fab Steelfill. It has steel in it and can be buffed to a steel shine. As you know, often the aluminum triggers go for 50 bucks plus shipping. These will be 20 dollars, printed and shipped. That is what I am paying for this one so hopefully if it works out . I have several parts of my pack 3D printed. The tower (that is my fave part as it looks just like the original) , the back plate, the gun box.

https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/c ... FKEALw_wcB
Last edited by DarlieBrewster on March 15th, 2018, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Styrofoam_Guy
I started my first pack using Acrylic sheet, wood and Styrofoam. I used Styrofoam for light weight and just to prove I could do it.

I then got a 3D printer (FDM) and started to replace some parts with printed parts.

I was lucky that I got a Matty wand when they were being sold so I used that to finish my pack.

I am now going to build a second pack and help some friends build theirs. Most will be 3D printed parts. The downside of FDM printed parts is lots of puttying and sanding. No Matty Wand this time so I will have to print wand parts and figure out a light and sound system.
DarlieBrewster liked this
By CountDeMonet
All of the parts I used for my sons pack are here. Some parts are based off ones on thingiverse and some are completely redone or remodeled for accuracy.

https://github.com/CountDeMonet/Arduino ... rcent_Pack

They are at 83% scale so you can just add 17% in the slicer to get it to full size. Ultimately I mirrored the pack for my son as he's a lefty but the parts are correct in github. One day I'll print myself one full size. Maybe after I finish my astromech droid.

GBDRE760 liked this
By DarlieBrewster
Hey Styrafoam. On the tower the striations look great. Yes, the other parts they need sanding. I recommend a black primer. It fills in pretty well and cuts down the puttying depending how tight or low the number of microns. At this point I have actually switched from SteelFil to Polymaker Polysmooth in slate grey, The reasons being that it is far more durable and , this! It can be smoothed by an isopropyl alcohol! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xn8aPIKtq8
Last edited by DarlieBrewster on March 15th, 2018, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DarlieBrewster
Thanks CountDeMonet. It looks great even at 83% where you would expect it to be less smooth. How many microns were you printing at ?
Last edited by DarlieBrewster on March 15th, 2018, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CountDeMonet
I printed pretty rough. Finished the whole thing with Bondo, Rust-Oleum automotive filler primer, and tons of sanding to get it smooth. You can't tell it's 3d printed
By CountDeMonet
What are you printing in? For ABS it's best to use acetone as it will chemically weld the parts together.

For pla and petg there are a number of options depending on the need. weldon-3 and 4 work pretty good as chemical welders. Very toxic though. I'm using it to weld the parts that need extreme strength. Pla can also use super glue for parts that get less stress but it is a fragile bond. I had success with 5 minute epoxy on my pack for parts that need more strength than super glue but might need some extra work time. For things like the pack mounts to the motherboard where there is lots of weight bearing I use gorilla glue. Wet both parts and watch the foam grow. I don't use that on anything that will be visible.

Finishing I use Bondo glazing putty to fill holes. Lightly sand with 120 gritt to knock high ridges down a bit and make primer stick better. Hit it with Rust-Oleum automotive filler primer two or three times sanding with increasingly finer paper each time to 400 grit. Then spray the color you want.
By Styrofoam_Guy
The Polysmooth sounds interesting. Do you have the chamber unit and what do you do with parts are too large to fit in there.

Did you make your own chamber for larger parts or can you spray the isopropyl alcohol on it?
By Kingpin
Unfortunately due to a personal disagreement, Darlie has decided to vandalise the majority of the posts she's made here. My apologies for the disruption caused.
By DarlieBrewster
Oh please Ben , just lock another thread based on your petty whims, continue the pattern of harassment. You don't appreciate members contributions so why am I participating?
By Kingpin
It was a disagreement, a heavy handed disagreement from my side I'll admit. As disagreements go that was pretty tame compared to what I've been on the receiving end in the past, but I acknowledge experiences will vary. I'm sorry that you've gotten the impression that I don't appreciate member contributions... I do appreciate member contibutions.

I don't think vandalising the majority of your posts was a reasonable response.
By likesjellydonuts
"Vandalising" isn't the term for what she did. She just edited them which she is totally allowed to do, which is why it's a setting. Removing her own content is a reasonable response, to someone locking her thread for the sake of pettiness.

We both disagreed with her, but she did nothing to deserve her thread being locked, and has actually been trying to actively post, in an otherwise stagnant forum.

How many times have you responded to a situation with "that's crazy!" That's essentially all she did. She didn't swear at anyone or call anyone names, hell, she really didn't even violate the CoC here. You are being a bully in a situation that you can easily just let go of, and you're setting a pretty poor example of how the higherups function. Go back to moderating for quality, and not your personal agenda against someone that disagreed with you.
By likesjellydonuts
likesjellydonuts wrote:Darliebrewster posted a picture, it looked photoshopped, kingpin caller her out on it. Later I did too a couple times. Darlie claims it was an artifact because of compression, bickering occurred. Kingpin got bent out of shape and locked her pack thread, she responded by deleting posts. Kingpin came here to poke the bear, she called him out on it. He responds by poking the bear again by saying she handled it poorly.

Basically it's a disagreement, and he's acting all trumpy about it.

And here we are.
By DarlieBrewster
What I do with my posts is my business. Every single person on this forum is your benefactor Mr King. Their sharing their hours weeks months of hard work is THE ONLY REASON THIS FORUM EXISTS! NOT YOUR ASPIRATIONS FOR THE FORUM ! THEY ARE NOT YOUR CHILDREN! Your entire existence on this forum is to facilitate them getting that Herculean effort to be seen by other like minded builders in the smoothest way possible. You need to revisit what a moderator does. It is not your place to judge , attack , harass or block them! You should thank them all.

Ben called this one photo of mine "SHODDY" (1 out of the 27 photos and a video of the working pack) and then decided to started saying that the pack was built by someone else, which he knew it wasn't. The British insult in a far more subtle way.

And I did not see it right off likesjellydonuts . I was looking at the gun angle that ol Ben was mentioning , not the phantom hose and I could only guess at what it was . Imagine you hadn't done it and then go from there how you would react. Again I don't know what transpired but I never did it. It would be pointless with so many other hundreds of photos and videos photos of the pack existing. And Ben I've seen all your work , I wouldn't be insulting my abilities . I feel pretty confident. You should stick to giving kudo's for people who make this forum worthwhile to come to and not attacking them because they dismiss your criticism. This is not the Ben King forum.
likesjellydonuts liked this

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]