By AndFisher
So I was working on my scratch-built Neutrino wand and I've come accross an issue I've not heard anyone mention before. I am planning on using a standard 20 led bargraph for the main display, and this has a depth of approx 1cm (and that's before adding a proto board itself.)

However I drilled my hole for the axel of the barrel lever, which I was under the impression spanned the whole box and was connected through the body and the smaller silver disc near the heat sink. However due to the depth of it, the bottom of the bargraph looks like it's going to be in the way.

Now, I don't have very reliable dimensions for the neutrino wand, BUT I have tried to keep consistent with Stefan's plans (even though I cannot print off at full size at the moment). Is there something I am missing? At the moment I'm going to have to work a way around this. Either by bending the axel so it clears the electronics, or by anchoring it somewhere else inside the body. If I have to "re-route" the axel, it'll have to be in two parts with some kind of linkage, otherwise it'll never fit in through the hole at the lever side.

Any help or comments would be much appreciated!
Hi there

although i've build mine with 16 led's only, i've still almost ran into the same kind of problem, due to the fact that my wand is made mostly out of plywood and therefore has more material thickness all around.

Maybe adjusting the location of the bargraph a bit up (while keeping it as slim as possible) or reduce the number of leds (since the original throwers had very special aircraft incandecent lightbars - there is actually no such thing as 'a correct number of leds', - the usual available leds will not fit these parameters) for this build may do the trick. The lever-axis is indeed going straight through the thrower into the smaller upper right side disc-thing, so it's always a tricky thing to deal with any non-aluminum thrower-builds i guess. (seen e.g. at this original thrower image http://www.gbfans.com/images/equipment/ ... 33/102.jpg

or even better on this one : http://www.gbfans.com/images/equipment/ ... 33/274.jpg

This is a damn tight spot. What makes it even worse is the fact that i've put my release-mechanism into that very edge as well, so i had to make the leds take as minimum space, as possible by tapeing them together almost naked and filing away the edges between them, to make them actually no less than 2mm upwidth. So the whole stack is almost 32mm (16x2) x 5mm.

Greetings
By AndFisher
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to be stuck since my bargraph is a sealed unit. But it does fit the display window perfectly so I'm still going to use it. I'll probably anchor/pivot it inside the body and fake the bar inside the silver disc. My plan is to add a cam to it to contact a microswitch when the lever is pulled which will control a linear motor. We'll see if it works!

That second pic shows what looks like a sunken hex cap in the disc. That's a detail I've never noticed before...
    Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]